Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

TrixRabbi posted:

I think he meant in terms of female directors? Can You Ever Forgive Me? was a gimme and they let is hang with just some acting nods it won't win and a screenplay nod it probably won't win.

Oh yeah that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Is Roma the only good movie on the Best Picture list?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Mantis42 posted:

Is Roma the only good movie on the Best Picture list?

The Favourite is very good.

I also liked Black Panther, BlackKklansman, and A Star is Born, to a lesser degree.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

put a sock in it, complainers. a film critic is here to set you straight
https://twitter.com/noahgittell/status/1087725496916496386

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
As my wife and I go through 2018's films we've started playing a game where we declare every movie we watch to be better than Green Book. Then we list all the other films that are better than Green Book. We got to "Venom is better than Green Book" and now really don't have any other movies we've seen this year that we don't think are worse than Green Book.

It also sucks that Ali will probably be a shoe-in for Best Supporting. Richard E. Grant is the correct answer, but Sam Elliot is also more than deserving.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wish there was some better award ceremony that could rise and eclipse all the popular ones. Something that’s not arbitrarily prejudiced against non-English films or animation or genre films. Something more capacious. I guess you run into the problem that these things are always democratic and you just get the lowest common denominator, though.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Vegetable posted:

I wish there was some better award ceremony that could rise and eclipse all the popular ones. Something that’s not arbitrarily prejudiced against non-English films or animation or genre films. Something more capacious. I guess you run into the problem that these things are always democratic and you just get the lowest common denominator, though.

Bring back the CineBytes imho

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Timeless Appeal posted:

As my wife and I go through 2018's films we've started playing a game where we declare every movie we watch to be better than Green Book. Then we list all the other films that are better than Green Book. We got to "Venom is better than Green Book" and now really don't have any other movies we've seen this year that we don't think are worse than Green Book.

It also sucks that Ali will probably be a shoe-in for Best Supporting. Richard E. Grant is the correct answer, but Sam Elliot is also more than deserving.

richard e. grant was loving great. his last scene broke my heart

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
I'm surprised about Black Panther getting a best picture nomination.

As far as comic books movies go, about time they get some recognition.

However, The Dark Knight and Logan are both more ambitious and transformative. They transcend their genres whereas black panther is very generic with some third act problems to boot, same thing wonder woman suffered from. I can't help but worry it's somewhat poltitically motivated, then again disney threw an arseload of money into this award campaign. Infinity War was ambitious and represent a new type of comic book movie entirely, not to mention it had a much bigger global impact than black panther ever did. It grossed less domestically but made more than Black Panthers entire haul internationally.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

I'm surprised about Black Panther getting a best picture nomination.

As far as comic books movies go, about time they get some recognition.

However, The Dark Knight and Logan are both more ambitious and transformative. They transcend their genres whereas black panther is very generic with some third act problems to boot, same thing wonder woman suffered from. I can't help but worry it's somewhat poltitically motivated, then again disney threw an arseload of money into this award campaign. Infinity War was ambitious and represent a new type of comic book movie entirely, not to mention it had a much bigger global impact than black panther ever did. It grossed less domestically but made more than Black Panthers entire haul internationally.

Whether it's right or wrong or somewhere in between, I think anything that's a huge crossover blockbuster that's starring and made by people of color is going to get strong consideration from the Oscars, because it's still a Pretty Big Deal.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

R. Guyovich posted:

put a sock in it, complainers. a film critic is here to set you straight
https://twitter.com/noahgittell/status/1087725496916496386

Using the "you can't criticise art if you're not an artist" defence is a weird move for a film critic. Does he only ever do positive reviews?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mamkute posted:

2. It means the better Marvel movie, Doctor Strange got snubbed.

Well Spider Man was this year, and it’s better than both so.... also mission impossible fallout was robbed for no best score nomination.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

LionArcher posted:

Well Spider Man was this year, and it’s better than both so.... also mission impossible fallout was robbed for no best score nomination.

Pretty sure the score is based on a pre-existing work and therefore ineligible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This thread also seems a good place to put my confusion about the Billboard awards' "Best Soundtrack" that is still ongoing.

In 2017, the film Moana was nominated under this category and it lost to Hamilton. Fair dues, life goes on.

Except in 2018, it was nominated again for the same category. And won!

My only logical thought is that they meant to list Coco which would've been relevant for that year, and people who vote for Billboards awards just don't care and do whatever.

I'm going to take this minor and unimportant grief to my grave, I swear.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rjDx2v12TA

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like people undersell how aware Black Panther is of its role as a prominent superhero movie. It doesn't take inspiration from The Dark Knight Rises, but also has scenes that reflect Bond films and Lord of the Rings. Black Panther isn't just a black superhero in tights, it's a film that tries to act as a window into an alternate universe of black exceptionalism. It's only hindered by the fact that it's a Marvel movie.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The slate of nominations is disappointing, but I will be happy with the show in general if Spike finally gets his director Oscar. Academy loves giving out awards 20+ years late, so good chance of that happening.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Noms would be decent if you removed every category nomination for Vice and gave each one to something else. Absolute dreck.

lmbo, Vice nom'd for Best Editing and Best Director, it's barely even a movie

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Best director for Vice is pretty mysterious, even relative to the usual baseline of bad nominations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

It was to prevent Cooper from getting nominated for 4 different categories.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

lol did any of you seriously think Toni Collette was gonna get nominated?

yes because she loving owned?

this year feels like a lame factory reset after last year's scenario of Get Out winning best Screenplay and Fish Fucker Fantasy winning Best Director/Picture. The only difference is a loving Marvel movie in Best Picture contention.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

yes because she loving owned?

this year feels like a lame factory reset after last year's scenario of Get Out winning best Screenplay and Fish Fucker Fantasy winning Best Director/Picture. The only difference is a loving Marvel movie in Best Picture contention.

Hereditary ain't Get Out. Also I don't know that there was a particularly strong Oscar campaign for Hereditary at all because A24 put most of their efforts into First Reformed, which didn't really pay off at all.

Even if, the Oscar voting body was never going to award a movie like Hereditary in any way. Get Out is a horror movie but it's also funny, direct, has a clear cut political message, not too gory, and it's frankly populist. It's an excellent movie, but it's also the rare horror film that can actually pull through with Academy voters -- being a massive box office hit and the subject of endless thinkpieces helped. Hereditary, inversely, is a niche and graphic film for hardcore horror fans (and I'd argue it's an inconsistent film outside of the performances).

Generally, if a horror movie wants to get Oscar nominations, they have to play like they're not actually horror -- which we all know is bullshit but it's how the game is played. Look at some of the past examples of nominated horror movies: Rosemary's Baby did not get a Best Picture nod (they gave the award that year to Oliver!) but the movie managed to sneak in an adapted screenplay nomination and a win for Ruth Gordon as Beth Supporting Actress. Notably, nothing for Mia Farrow, nothing for Polanski. The Supporting acting categories have often been a slot where voters feel comfortable nominating and awarding genre pieces (see: Heath Ledger, Dark Knight in '08), but to even pull off this coup they needed a film adapted from a best selling novel, directed by a respected European auteur, and that didn't necessarily feel like a genre film of the time. It was dark and occult, but the apartment setting and lack of much gore made it much more like a grim drama, or at least it could be played that way.

When you look at Best Picture nominees there's only ever been six horror movies. The first is The Exorcist (there was never a Best Picture nomination for horror until 1973 if that's indicative of how little the Academy respects the genre) and maybe the only one that you can unabashedly call a Horror movie no matter which way you cut it. But it's also a religious parable and a massive blockbuster success that was at the front of the conversation. It became such a force the Academy had little option but to recognize it, that's the level of power a horror movie needed to get any sort of recognition whatsoever. And it helped that again you had a prestige director (Friedkin was fresh off of making The French Connection), a best selling novel it was based on, and the presence of Max von Sydow who was mostly known for his work with Ingmar Bergman to offer enough class to score the nominations.

Next, you have Jaws, which even I sometimes don't really feel is horror in the proper sense though I'm probably wrong. Again, best selling novel, runaway blockbuster success, but a very fun movie. You got some classy actors like Robert Shaw, a boat adventure fitting of classic Hollywood, astounding direction, but an audience pleaser. Jaws, to get recognition, had to be magnificent and popular.

A horror movie wouldn't be nominated again until 1991 with The Silence of the Lambs. Best selling novel, prestige director and actors, yada yada. It was also easy to pitch The Silence of the Lambs *not* as a horror movie, but as a psychological thriller, which was a very in vogue genre at the time and didn't have the stink of being a "low genre" like horror.

1999 -- The Sixth Sense. A bit of a different formula as outside of the presence of Bruce Willis this was an original screenplay with complete newcomers. But it was a runaway success, and more importantly it could be spun as a mystery with supernatural elements.

2010 -- Black Swan. Prestige director, respected stars, "psychological." It's about ballet, classy, the scares are subtle. It didn't win but Portman nabbed Best Actress for it.

Finally, Get Out was positioned as a comedy for the Golden Globes. It needed to build on Peele's reputation as a comedian, but it became a message movie. A cultural moment that transcended for the Academy both its horror and its comedy origins.

This is all bullshit of course. But again, Toni Collette never. stood. a chance. Ever. Ever ever ever ever ever. Hereditary is not a movie the Oscars award, and it's because the Oscars are not about quality, it's a marketing and networking event for Hollywood's elite to congratulate themselves. They nominate movies because they think they're important. They want to go up on stage and talk about how the movies "shine a light" on injustice, how they bring people together and tell the stories of the oppressed. They want to sell you the idea that without Hollywood we would be ignorant to the harsh realities of the world, or if not that we would be without hope for a better world. The Oscars are an elaborate ad campaign constructing a mythology that these people or these films matter or make any difference in a world full of political crises and poverty and strife, and they can stick a picture of a statue on the DVD box cover to make that point of sale purchase at Walmart because it signifies some arbitrary concept of "quality." It's about promoting their own, making themselves feel better. But for the audience, it's at best entertainment and at worst a total fraud. So just lay down some money on an Oscar pool and play it like the game it really is.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

A24 put most of their efforts into First Reformed, which didn't really pay off at all.

I mean, it was obvious that A24 was going to have a slower year in 2018 after cleaning the gently caress up at awards 2 years in a row, and after releasing a huge % of the best films of the past half decade.

They played it safe with real small projects this year.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A Prayer Before Dawn was A24 too and super solid, they really are the best.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I mean, it was obvious that A24 was going to have a slower year in 2018 after cleaning the gently caress up at awards 2 years in a row, and after releasing a huge % of the best films of the past half decade.

They played it safe with real small projects this year.

Oh yeah, it's not a huge deal. First Reformed is the actual best film of the year, but it's way too aggressive for Oscar voters. I can't blame A24 for sitting this year's awards out though in favor of boosting some really challenging, exciting work that's never gonna play with institutional voting. Still, an Ethan Hawke nomination wasn't out of the conversation, so it's a little bit of a defeat to see that fall through.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes it was excellent, and sad that it's been overlooked. The Academy likes to think of itself as prestigious, then essentially ignores some of the best movies of the year for stuff that's just generic. It's not as if it has a high barrier to entry to watch, like you could say if it was an esoteric art film or something.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'd say best is a tie between Cold War and Burning. I'm simultaneously thrilled that Cold War got some love and disappointed that Burning was completely ignored. So I guess it's a wash.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Not that big an awards decision compared to the Oscars admittedly, but still thought it deserved mention/praise here

GLAAD has stripped Bohemian Rhapsody of its best original film nominee at their annual GLAAD Media Awards in the wake of the new accusations against Bryan Singer

GLAAD statement to Variety posted:

In light of the latest allegations against director Bryan Singer, GLAAD has made the difficult decision to remove ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ from contention for a GLAAD Media Award in the Outstanding Film – Wide Release category this year. This week’s story in The Atlantic documenting unspeakable harms endured by young men and teenage boys brought to light a reality that cannot be ignored or even tacitly rewarded.

Singer’s response to The Atlantic story wrongfully used ‘homophobia’ to deflect from sexual assault allegations and GLAAD urges the media and the industry at large to not gloss over the fact that survivors of sexual assault should be put first.

The team that worked so hard on ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ as well as the legacy of Freddie Mercury deserve so much more than to be tainted in this way. ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ brought the story of LGBTQ icon Freddie Mercury to audiences around the world, many of whom never saw an out and proud lead character in a film or saw the impact of HIV and AIDS in fair and accurate ways. The impact of the film is undeniable. We believe, however, that we must send a clear and unequivocal message to LGBTQ youth and all survivors of sexual assault that GLAAD and our community will stand with survivors and will not be silent when it comes to protecting them from those who would do them harm/

Other films that involve Singer now or in the future should take note of the backlash to The Atlantic story and other previous allegations. The industry cannot let those who perpetuate harms against anyone – especially vulnerable young people – go unnoticed or unchecked any longer.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Best director for Vice is pretty mysterious, even relative to the usual baseline of bad nominations.

They were gonna vote Singer then panicked.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Easily could've gone with Lynne Ramsay, Barry Jenkins, or numerous others who deserve it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think the votes for VICE is along the lines of "Hey that McKay guy did it again, being political and funny" but it doesn't have the same breezy charm that THE BIG SHORT has. On that note, are that and GREEN BOOK the worst recieved movies to get Oscar nominations.

I'm generally fine with BLACK PANTHER being up there even though I think it's more 'important' than it is 'good'. It's a marvel movie through and through, right down to the same kinda boring third act. It's a shame too because I was on board with it until then and I totally understand some of the political criticisms thrown its way.

Spike is gonna lose out to DRIVING MISS DAISY again isn't he?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

Prolly

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

At least he's in competition this time.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

DrVenkman posted:

I think the votes for VICE is along the lines of "Hey that McKay guy did it again, being political and funny" but it doesn't have the same breezy charm that THE BIG SHORT has. On that note, are that and GREEN BOOK the worst recieved movies to get Oscar nominations.

I'm generally fine with BLACK PANTHER being up there even though I think it's more 'important' than it is 'good'. It's a marvel movie through and through, right down to the same kinda boring third act. It's a shame too because I was on board with it until then and I totally understand some of the political criticisms thrown its way.

I was underwhelmed with Black Panther on rewatch, but compared to half the stuff up for Best Picture, it is a drat godsend.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

The times put out a really good piece exploring this trend of films. Honestly, Green Book somehow is more insidious than Driving Miss Daisy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Timeless Appeal posted:

The times put out a really good piece exploring this trend of films. Honestly, Green Book somehow is more insidious than Driving Miss Daisy

That was a really good article.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Timeless Appeal posted:

Wesley Morris is one of the only movie critics I know of who's worth reading; I wish he still wrote as much as he did in the Grantland days.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

This thread also seems a good place to put my confusion about the Billboard awards' "Best Soundtrack" that is still ongoing.

In 2017, the film Moana was nominated under this category and it lost to Hamilton. Fair dues, life goes on.

Except in 2018, it was nominated again for the same category. And won!

My only logical thought is that they meant to list Coco which would've been relevant for that year, and people who vote for Billboards awards just don't care and do whatever.

I'm going to take this minor and unimportant grief to my grave, I swear.

quote:

Unlike other awards, such as the Grammy Award, which determine nominations as a result of the highest votes received by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, the Billboard Music Awards finalists are based on album and digital songs sales, streaming, radio airplay, touring, and social engagement. These measurements are tracked year-round by Billboard and its data partners, including Nielsen Music and Next Big Sound. The 2018 awards are based on the reporting period of April 8, 2017 through March 31, 2018.

Looks like the Moana soundtrack was on the Billboard charts for both reporting periods and thus was eligible for both year's awards.

In researching this I also found out that the Titanic soundtrack won the same award in both 1998 and 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Huh, good investigating. Strange deal but I’m glad I finally know the answer!