Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Of course the vfx nerds are painfully awkward, but also ones wearing a tartan scarf or something which is pretty cool

E: this is the first time I've heard Shallow and how do people think this is a good song? How loving boring.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I, Butthole posted:

E: this is the first time I've heard Shallow and how do people think this is a good song? How loving boring.

Thank god someone else thinks this. What a dreadfully slow, boring song.

EDIT: And I mean, not everything needs to be up-tempo, but compare this with a winner in the category a while back: Al Otro Lado Del Rio. Now that's a well done, slow, thoughtful song.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 25, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Wasn't one of the writers of Greenbook the guy who was a racist as gently caress Trump dude or something?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Samuel L Jackson looks extremely bemused/unimpressed at handing the Oscar to the Green Book writer

Schrader was robbed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I, Butthole posted:

Schrader was robbed.

Yeah, Reformed should've been at least in 3 categories... the least they could've done is given it to the one it was nominated for.

Maybe he should've said he wanted to work with Kevin Spacey prior to the nominations to get the Academy on his side.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

gently caress yeah Sam, that's how you announce!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

EL BROMANCE posted:

gently caress yeah Sam, that's how you announce!

gently caress yeah Spike "DO NOT TURN THAT MOYHERFUCKIN CLOCK ON"

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Spike Lee hijacking all the speech time from the main writers, gently caress outta here.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Anonymous John posted:

Spike Lee hijacking all the speech time from the main writers, gently caress outta here.

i imagine they had an understanding

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DC Murderverse posted:

i imagine they had an understanding

Thank god somebody did.

The first like, 3-4 people who accepted awards spent a literal 10 minutes going "Bwaaah? Speech? uhhhhhhh" before the got played off by music. Comeon guys have it ready to go!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Anonymous John posted:

Who in history is ever going to tell Spike Lee that he can't have a rant, and why would you ever want to

PT6A posted:

Yep, also how in the gently caress did they stretch a single word out to like, eighteen syllables? That's not songwriting

Welp it just won, so gently caress do I know I guess

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I, Butthole posted:

Welp it just won, so gently caress do I know I guess

Yeah, gently caress me right?

How completely undeserved.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I need a cadre of Spike Lee reaction gifs asap after the show, please.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Olivia Colman is adorable, good for her

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That should not have been best picture, let's hope for another Moonlight incident IMHO.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Well that was awful

Hahahaha Julia Roberts just like "uhhhh thanks for watching?" *thumbs up* and slow camera pan.

They didn't really know how to do this without a host.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Super cool that a film written by a loudly racist douchebag won for best picture.:waycool:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The year we finally solved racism

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I was on the shitter, but who dedicated the award to Carrie Fisher?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol that there were like 30 people on stage accepting the award and only one was black.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The thread title came true.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/1099887685085417473
wow lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Well now at least everyone who said Black Panther was not a good enough film to win Best Picture, can have their nose rubbed in their own stupidity like a dog that's pissed on the rug. I mean, I don't know it should've won but I'm extremely loving certain it was more deserving than Green Book.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PT6A posted:

EDIT: And I mean, not everything needs to be up-tempo, but compare this with a winner in the category a while back: Al Otro Lado Del Rio. Now that's a well done, slow, thoughtful song.

Shallow is a good song. Its slow but it builds up to a point that only the best singers can hit as a crescendo, and shows Gaga's talent. I'm trained somewhat in singing and cant do what that song turns into.

Edit: without completely dropping my register

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PT6A posted:

Well now at least everyone who said Black Panther was not a good enough film to win Best Picture, can have their nose rubbed in their own stupidity like a dog that's pissed on the rug. I mean, I don't know it should've won but I'm extremely loving certain it was more deserving than Green Book.

Nah, they're both equally bad for the same reason.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just a reminder that both Bohemian Rhapsody and Lawrence of Arabia won an Oscar for film editing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PT6A posted:

Lol you say this as if there weren't 6 other nominees as well as dozens of other more deserving movies released this year

Hot take: neither of those movies (or BR for that matter) deserved best picture and what you're saying here doesn't have poo poo to do with anything

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Netflix hate is absurd. How dare a company exist that purchases acclaimed work then puts it on a platform to be seen by a huge audience.

Like, all big business sucks but they're no worse than the traditional theatrical model. It's not like the cinema going experience is like what we see in, ironically, Roma these days. It's unmanned multiplexes full of texting and chattering teens. Oooh the sanctity of the silver screen. I bet most of these members watched the lovely screener DVDs they get anyway, for the titles they actually bother with.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

PT6A posted:

If only Ali and Viggo had put on CGI power suits at the end and duked it out on a monorail

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Richard E. Grant should have won.
(for this)
https://twitter.com/RichardEGrant/status/1099777351246798848

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Well I think we can all agree Welcome to Marwen was robbed

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Black Panther was an enormous crossover hit that brought Afrofuturism into the mainstream, proved for not the first time that there is tremendous audience interest in movies about minorities, and that the material is accessible and compelling. It's an inspiring fantasy about what the world would be like if the most powerful nation on Earth was native African, and it's a great jumping board onto how we were robbed of these possibilities, as well as other topics that typically receive zero attention in the media but that have been prevalent among under-represented communities for decades. It creates a vision of a world never before seen in mainstream cinema and merges that with the tremendous challenge of creating a big budget film.

I don't think it has any chance of winning, but this is the same Academy that rained awards on Return of the King. Several of its competitors are weak af so it could conceivably be a big surprise.

This post is like cinema stockholm syndrome

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
To be fair, Sodomy Hussein has accurately ascertained that the great achievement of Black Panther is making African culture a profitable commodity.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I feel genuinely sorry for everybody who watched Return of the King and didn’t think it was some pinnacle in filmmaking

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

PT6A posted:

their nominations both represent the same cowardice, even if black panther is a better movie

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Black Panther was an enormous crossover hit that brought Afrofuturism into the mainstream

Feudalism isn't futurism, except in the sense that if you want a picture of the future, you can imagine a boot stomping on a human face forever.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

As my partner points out, we’ve made some progress in these intervening years: this time the movie spike lee’s work was passed over for has the white person driving the car. Progress.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Feudalism isn't futurism, except in the sense that if you want a picture of the future, you can imagine a boot stomping on a human face forever.

Said as if Black Panther isn't explicitly and implicitly criticizing that premise, or as if Afrofuturism isn't about grappling with topics precisely like this

Like the amount of people going "hmm this might be a dumb way to rule a country, ergo Black Panther is bad" apparently during the movie just shut their eyes, had a stroke, and dreamed that they had that 100% original thought about the plot

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This post is like cinema stockholm syndrome

It wasn't my favorite movie of the year by a long shot but the original argument was that it was not influential, which is to say, a lot of CD posters need to read more than they post

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Black Panther was an enormous crossover hit that brought Afrofuturism into the mainstream, proved for not the first time that there is tremendous audience interest in movies about minorities, and that the material is accessible and compelling. It's an inspiring fantasy about what the world would be like if the most powerful nation on Earth was native African, and it's a great jumping board onto how we were robbed of these possibilities, as well as other topics that typically receive zero attention in the media but that have been prevalent among under-represented communities for decades. It creates a vision of a world never before seen in mainstream cinema and merges that with the tremendous challenge of creating a big budget film.

I don't think it has any chance of winning, but this is the same Academy that rained awards on Return of the King. Several of its competitors are weak af so it could conceivably be a big surprise.

https://twitter.com/CIA/status/1099851754731122688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Said as if Black Panther isn't explicitly and implicitly criticizing that premise, or as if Afrofuturism isn't about grappling with topics precisely like this

Like the amount of people going "hmm this might be a dumb way to rule a country, ergo Black Panther is bad" apparently during the movie just shut their eyes, had a stroke, and dreamed that they had that 100% original thought about the plot

It pays lip service to progress, but still ends with a feudal despot heroically reinstated. A CIA agent looks on, happily, as Wakanda joins the world (there's a pretence that the agent's a clown whose gone rogue, intended to distract from the fact that the CIA is perfectly in favour of T'Challa to the point of tweeting about the movie in real life).

Real T'Challas exist. Mohammad bin Salman is an example, a reformer who pushes for modernization and liberalization while still torturing dissidents, waging imperialistic war, and buying French chateaus.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 25, 2019