Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
This year is pretty weak compared to last year. Call Me By Your Name, Ladybird, The Shape of Water, Get Out, Dunkirk, The Phantom Thread and Three Billboards are all really, really fantastic pieces. Even The Post is at worst, standard, but by no means a bad movie. I'm glad that Shape of Water won, but it was a really impressive pack.

This year, If Beale Street Could Talk really wrecks the competition. I haven't seen Roma yet, and I imagine the two will be close in my mind. I loved The Favourite and enjoyed A Star is Born a lot, but goddamn it, If Beale Street Could Talk.

I'm also hoping that the Golden Globe win and Pixar's bad press pave the way for Spiderverse winning best animated. Getting the Oscar could be a watershed moment for what animated features look like going forward.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea Colette is the one that will be the worst snub, because I can see her maybe not even getting any major nominations. And that would be criminal, but performances in horror tend to be ignored.
I'm guessing Hereditary at least gets a cinematography nom. A Quiet Place will definitely get nominated for something, and Suspiria has a shot as well. There is a really, really good chance of three horror noms this year with the big Get Out win from last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

James Woods Fan posted:

Is this the worst season since 2011?
I think my top three of the likely nominees so far (The Favourite, Beale Street, A Star is Born) is definitely better than 2011 (The Artist, Hugo, The Tree of Life). 2011 really should have dipped into popular movies. Brides Maids and Rise of the Planet of the Apes are definitely better than some of the best picture nominees of that year.

I think this year, the fact that Black Panther is probably a lock for Best Picture sort of opens the floodgates. I really could see Crazy Rich Asians and A Quiet Place being nominated with a nominee list that looks like this:

If Beale Street Could Talk
A Star is Born
The Favourite
Roma
Vice
BlacKKKlansman
Green Book
Black Panther
Crazy Rich Asians
A Quiet Place

But man I would take loving Avengers over Green Book.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

I really don't think this is anything resembling a fact. This is still the Academy and there's a lot 'safer' choices they could go with. Even Beale Street is more likely to me.
I meant a lock for nomination.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
As my wife and I go through 2018's films we've started playing a game where we declare every movie we watch to be better than Green Book. Then we list all the other films that are better than Green Book. We got to "Venom is better than Green Book" and now really don't have any other movies we've seen this year that we don't think are worse than Green Book.

It also sucks that Ali will probably be a shoe-in for Best Supporting. Richard E. Grant is the correct answer, but Sam Elliot is also more than deserving.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like people undersell how aware Black Panther is of its role as a prominent superhero movie. It doesn't take inspiration from The Dark Knight Rises, but also has scenes that reflect Bond films and Lord of the Rings. Black Panther isn't just a black superhero in tights, it's a film that tries to act as a window into an alternate universe of black exceptionalism. It's only hindered by the fact that it's a Marvel movie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

Spike is gonna lose out to DRIVING MISS DAISY again isn't he?
The times put out a really good piece exploring this trend of films. Honestly, Green Book somehow is more insidious than Driving Miss Daisy

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I just watched Widows, and it is like a movie made within the world of Ocean's 11. It's weird because it's trying to deal with real issues in Chicago while also having Liam Neeson's almost supervillain like millionaire thief. It's like it takes place in a Chicago that still has real Chicago problems, but also plays by outlandish movie rules. It's weird and I can't tell how I feel about it, but it's A LOT.

CelticPredator posted:

The whole movie is lifeless. Its so bafflingly amateur it’s hard to believe it’s directed by an industry veteran, gross rear end in a top hat aside. The shots are either super flat, or overly dramatic for little to no reason. The lighting is often done up like a horror film, and for some reason this is a look they found okay.
Singer is someone who has directed four X-Men movies--AKA the queerest superheroes ever--and made them into pretty sterile and cold affairs. He's not an incompetent director, but he's always had a habit of creating surprisingly cold films.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Coaaab posted:

-Green Book if you want a hatewatch
Green Book isn't even worth hate-watching because it's a perfectly competently made film on most counts that just happens to be loving gross.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's really weird how all the 2018 animated shorts are about some form of strained or damaged parental relationships. It's a shame that Bao is so good and pretty much a lock. Weekends is definitely the most visually striking and One Small Step is a good tear jerker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Also, just want to point out that Period. End of Sentence. is a good pallet cleanser for the more depressing shorts.