Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Some of you might’ve seen the thread for my Oscars voting thing... I got enough signups during the testing that I was able to get everything nice and finished. In fact I redid all the front end since the test version and added some new features, made it work on cellphones better etc.

Once the nominations are announced, I’ll get the data updated and everyone can vote and we’ll see how SA compares to the judges.

Hand Knit posted:

The foreign-language movie category is going to whip rear end this year. Even if Roma is going to win, Shoplifters, Cold War, and Capernaum are as good as most other years' winners.

‘Burning’ is really solid too, this might be the best category of the night if the right films go through.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s a poo poo show as expected. I’ll add ‘Star is Born’ to the ‘too much’ pile, and back the lack of Toni Collette as a snub. At least it was expected, as was lack of Ethan Hawke. Best Foreign Film far more exciting than Best Picture as I thought, even if Burning didn’t get in which is a shame.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

:siren: Goon Vote is LIVE :siren:

http://crucialweb.net/oscars sign up and place your votes. Don't have to do all at once, every thing is editable until the night before the actual results come in then it all locks down. Leaderboard refreshes every 30 minutes right now as it's not really needed, but you can see how other people here voted if you want.

JOIN THE SA GROUP: key is 'ihavestairs'

(There's a thread here if you want to ask any questions or have issues and don't want to bog this one down with nerd crap)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TrixRabbi posted:

Question, are we supposed to aim to predict the winners or what for what we think deserves to win?

I kinda designed it with the 'what the people think deserves to win' in mind, to see what a group outside the Academy thinks.

The prediction element is just kind of an addon, there's no real glory to being able to predict the academy voters imo but always interesting to see.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This thread also seems a good place to put my confusion about the Billboard awards' "Best Soundtrack" that is still ongoing.

In 2017, the film Moana was nominated under this category and it lost to Hamilton. Fair dues, life goes on.

Except in 2018, it was nominated again for the same category. And won!

My only logical thought is that they meant to list Coco which would've been relevant for that year, and people who vote for Billboards awards just don't care and do whatever.

I'm going to take this minor and unimportant grief to my grave, I swear.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A Prayer Before Dawn was A24 too and super solid, they really are the best.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes it was excellent, and sad that it's been overlooked. The Academy likes to think of itself as prestigious, then essentially ignores some of the best movies of the year for stuff that's just generic. It's not as if it has a high barrier to entry to watch, like you could say if it was an esoteric art film or something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Huh, good investigating. Strange deal but I’m glad I finally know the answer!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Baronash posted:

The DGA awards were last night, and Cuarón won for Roma. Meanwhile, in what was undoubtedly the most unexpected win of the night, Bo Burnham took the First Time Director award for [b]Eighth Grade[/i]. This was over Bradley Cooper, who was the only nominee who was also nominated in the Feature Film category and was the favorite leading up to the event.

Awards are loving weird.

I can dig this. Eighth Grade was the better film.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched Tom Hardy get into a fish tank and eat a live lobster last night, and I'm appalled this performance hasn't been recognized by the Academy. I'm completely serious.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's a genuinely good performance that keeps you watching what would have otherwise been a DC universe quality movie. I'm glad Mark Kermode broke away from the critical groupthought and essentially said it's a bad film that he ended up quite enjoying. I didn't really have any desire to watch it until the early reviews came back saying "Yeah this isn't good, but you kind of have to see it". Good on Tom Hardy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They should put that on the poster.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EL BROMANCE posted:

:siren: Goon Vote is LIVE :siren:

http://crucialweb.net/oscars sign up and place your votes. Don't have to do all at once, every thing is editable until the night before the actual results come in then it all locks down. Leaderboard refreshes every 30 minutes right now as it's not really needed, but you can see how other people here voted if you want.

JOIN THE SA GROUP: key is 'ihavestairs'

(There's a thread here if you want to ask any questions or have issues and don't want to bog this one down with nerd crap)

Last few days of this now before I lock the votes in. Found a bug that stopped the vote editing from working and fixed it the other day, sorry about that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched Mid 90s, Skate Kitchen, and Minding the Gap all within like 24 hours. All decent but I think Skate Kitchen was my fave of the 3. Wouldn’t mind see MTG get the prize at all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still stand by the fact that the Best Foreign Film category stands stronger than Best Picture. And BFF doesn't have Burning in it, so if Best Picture was literally BFF + Burning + The Favourite + First Reformed plus a few others, it would be a far better category than the one that actually exists.

I'm also a strong believer in the "Black Panther wasn't my favorite movie of the year, but it was absolutely competent and left an important cultural impact, and representation matters so I'm fine with it's inclusion" mindset.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This is fair. Petition to rename Best Picture to "Best American Picture, I Guess" and put it down in the technical categories. Maybe inbetween Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

http://crucialweb.net/oscars/viewvote.php?user=EL%20BROMANCE

I think that's me probably locked unless I get chance to see watch something that unexpectedly blows me away this afternoon (maybe Shoplifters?). I'll leave the vote open for a few more hours at least just in case any latecomers fancy giving a shot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've got the results running pretty much live on the page - http://crucialweb.net/oscars/results.php
And I have the leaderboard refreshing every 10 minutes - http://crucialweb.net/oscars/leaderboard.php

One dude has 6 for 6 right now, not sure if he's a goon as not in the group.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I, Butthole posted:

I forgot to enter the goon group after voting so fixed that, also I hope y'all saw Shoplifters because it was great

Yeah, I literally closed voting like 2 minutes before the show started because I was watching it. I switched my Best Foreign out from Roma to it. It was obvious that the movie with half a dozen+ nominations would take that category, but Shoplifters eked it out for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I, Butthole posted:

Schrader was robbed.

Yeah, Reformed should've been at least in 3 categories... the least they could've done is given it to the one it was nominated for.

Maybe he should've said he wanted to work with Kevin Spacey prior to the nominations to get the Academy on his side.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

gently caress yeah Sam, that's how you announce!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Netflix hate is absurd. How dare a company exist that purchases acclaimed work then puts it on a platform to be seen by a huge audience.

Like, all big business sucks but they're no worse than the traditional theatrical model. It's not like the cinema going experience is like what we see in, ironically, Roma these days. It's unmanned multiplexes full of texting and chattering teens. Oooh the sanctity of the silver screen. I bet most of these members watched the lovely screener DVDs they get anyway, for the titles they actually bother with.