Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nenonen)
What should the presidential powers be in 2020?
This poll is closed.
UNLIMITED!!!! URKKI 2.0!!!!!! 3 23.08%
Sauli should be allowed to telecast to our homes whenever he pleases, but that should be the limit. 2 15.38%
He should be limited to writing mildly worded letters to HBL and other provincial newspapers. 2 15.38%
None. More power to Sanna & Katri & Maria & Li & Anna-Maja & Jenni! 2 15.38%
Unlimited, but every decision must be subject to a plebiscite. 0 0%
None, but the president's life must be video streamed 24 /7 for the duration of their term, with no censorship. 4 30.77%
Total: 13 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

I hate myself for getting this.

Which quadrant is the lolbertarian one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

We don't know if it was a meditated attack or an instantaneous attack influenced by alcohol

what does your heart tell you

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Here's a good election data source: https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-10509309

KD voters are mostly women :eyepop:

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

doverhog posted:

Whether that is true or not, are you saying Hallis would not allow leftist economics if he got immigration concessions in return? Because I believe you are 100% in the wrong.

I don't know about Hallis but the majority of the persu voters would not have it. The official party propaganda has constantly painted all the progressive/left wing parties as their primary antagonists, a 180 turn on something like that just does not happen overnight.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
come on boys don't fight, let's make a compromise

doverhog admits that voting for a libera vampire might not have been the best decision and in return the rest acknowledge that the greens have some good policies

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
this is the brain genius who owns hesburger

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Nurge posted:

I told my candidate good luck in the election and she immediately went and stalked my post history liking a bunch of year old posts.

lol if you haven't cranked all the hidden privacy sliders to 11

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
A simple factor analysis of HS-vaalikone answers: https://alanmiesz.github.io/vaalikoneet-2019/hs/2019/03/11/faktorianalyysia-helsingin-sanomien-vaalikonevastauksista.html
In an attempt to pre-emptively avoid some pointless arguments I'll remind you that the x and y axes automatically pop out of the mathematical method itself and cannot be directly identified with common political ideologies.

Since I'm a petty git I'd also like to point out that lone green dot at the upper right, lol

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Hogge Wild posted:

se ei tienny mistään mitään pelit-lehdessä
:goonsay:

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Jyppe posted:

Many were taken by the meme magic.

I don't think internet memes are of much significance to anybody who isn't an ylilautajonne

it's racism

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

doverhog posted:

Iraq refusing to accept denied refugees meaning they get to stay

What's the current solution offered by persut to this issue? Concentrate them in camps and make their lives so miserable that they'll voluntarily return to Iraq?

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
btw none of that matters if they don't wanna go, that's the current policy of Iraq's government

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
lol if you ever post any opinions whatsoever under your own name

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Jyppe posted:

Memes have been fully taken in by Finnish boomers and people who generally don't pay attention to politics.
The ylilauta/4chan political types love to imagine that they've created a new magical form of impact font meme that can sway elections worldwide because it gives meaning to their empty lives, but until I see some evidence I'm not going to give any credence to the idea. People of *every* political orientation share funy images on the internet these days, it's not the exclusive domain of alt-right recluses.

Jyppe posted:

I would also like to ask you specifically: which other party appeals AT ALL to a syrjäytynyt young man?
VL, SDP, KESK and V at least pretend to care about them, KOK will give them valuable advice on how to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps, KD will bring them to Christ. So all of them, in theory.

The real question is why PERS appeals to them. Do they have any message to syrjäytyneet other than "it's either you or matu"?

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
you should study the lyrics of the Internationale a bit more, comrade

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

doverhog posted:

I do not vote for persut or Hallis but I do have a problem with there being thousands of Iraqis in the country who have been karkoitettu but remain because Iraq refuses to take them back.

Are you proposing a solution to this issue? Has some politician or party proposed a solution you like?

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Catpain Slack posted:

Most muslims don't even drink alcohol.

Then again the young Iraqi men you meet in downtown Helsinki don't seem very enthusiastic Muslims, I'm pretty sure I've even seen a few drink keppana. They'll fit right in.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Hogge Wild posted:

jos suomessa asuvat ihmiset kerran saastuttavat enemmän kuin muualla asuvat, niin eikö maahanmuuttoa suomeen tulisi vähentää ilmastollisten syiden takia?

In case you want a serious answer, probably not, since the developing countries are under a serious pressure to increase their standards of living which in turn probably will increase their per capita emissions anyway.
OTOH Finland, being a wealthy developed country, will have to lower its own per capita emissions much closer to the global average.

If you only consider ilmastolliset syyt, all Finns should be relocated to a single central European city. Heating, traffic and agriculture-related emissions minimized, maakuntauudistus can be replaced with kaupunginosauudistus.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
The president was seen carrying an unrecognizable brown smudge in his jacket pocket.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

matti posted:

lähen tekeen uuden punajulistuksen heti ekana

ensin koukkaan vaan tossa montussa kaljalla

the opium of the people has lost its grip on the proletariat but I can see the alcohol of the people is still going strong

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Nurge posted:

Sopwith

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Santeri Alkiolle tuo tarkoitti sitä että torppareista tehtäisiin pienviljelijöitä eli kepulaisia

How do you do that without confiscating the lands first? Or was this supposed to be the kind of deal where the slaves can eventually buy their freedom?

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Nenonen posted:

gonna hold a candle vigil :finland:

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
What do you suppose caused the meteoric boost for Pers that started around the new year? Was it the Oulu child abuse epidemic or was there also another reason?

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
What was the deal with Airiston Helmi? Are you sure you're not over-dramatizing it? I think the current investigation is only pursuing tax evasion and money laundering charges.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
I think your worry is misplaced here considering that she won't be elected and that there are other left-wing candidates with slightly more nuanced policies who will

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
Työvoiman kasvu lisää myös tavaran/palvelujen ja sitä kautta työvoiman kysyntää. Se millä on enemmän merkitystä kansantaloudelle on työvoiman tuottavuus ja tulonjaon kannalta sen poliittinen aktiivisuus.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

fart_man_69 posted:

Anthropological research concerning extant hunter-gatherer tribes (who are free from state control) proves this. The innate human conception of justice is full democracry and full equality in all things political.

You're going to have to provide some references for that, because it's so far removed from the reality of every single human society in existence it's not even funny.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

You too need to provide the references because this also sounds like it's 100% informed by ideology and not grounded in reality or research.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Laura Huhtasaari (TF)
Teuvo Hakkarainen (TF)

It'll be awesome to see the kind of "co-operation" they will engage in with the other ethnopopulist parties

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

fart_man_69 posted:

Someone asked for references to anthropological research. Here's one summary of what we know: https://hraf.yale.edu/ehc/summaries/hunter-gatherers

fart_man_69 posted:

There is a common, shared understanding of justice among all mature humans (excluding disturbed individuals). Anthropological research concerning extant hunter-gatherer tribes (who are free from state control) proves this. The innate human conception of justice is full democracry and full equality in all things political.

Yale posted:

Recently, discussion of the differences between complex and simple hunter-gatherers has increased (See Fitzhugh 2003; Sassaman 2004.)
Complex hunter-gatherers generally have considerable inequality and more political hierarchy.

Romanticizing hunter-gatherers is dumb.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

fart_man_69 posted:

It's kind of gross that you focused on the one vague sentence "complex hunter-gatherers" as opposed to "simple" ones from the text, and built your assertion upon that, ignoring the entire rest of the body of text
Not just one sentence, "complex hunter-gatherers" pop up several times in the article.
What, exactly, in the article leads you into believing that "The innate human conception of justice is full democracry and full equality in all things political"? Because hunter-gatherer societies sure don't work like that.

quote:

I specifically mentioned freedom from state from control;
"Freedom from state control" is a meaningless concept. The society or tribe always exerts considerable control on its members.

quote:

I thought I also made it clear that we were dealing with societies that had not discovered agriculture. Which do you think these societies are, simple or complex?
If by "societies that have not discovered agriculture" you mean hunter-gatherers, based on the article you posted I think it's fairly obvious that anthropologists consider some of them simple and some of them complex.

quote:

I genuinely don't know what the gently caress is wrong with people like you. Why do you view the world as you do? Does it make you feel better when you commit selfish acts? You know you can just be an rear end in a top hat and no one here can do poo poo about it.
Anyone can read that entire page and come to a conclusion that is the opposite of what you've implied. All you have is one vague term, and you make no argument. The most interesting question is, why do you cling to this rear end in a top hat-interpretation of the world?
Why are you acting so agitated towards me? What makes you think I prefer or idealize selfishness over of altruism? Are you confusing me with someone else?
All I'm saying is that you've read the article and in places substituted your own romantic ideas and interpretations over what the article is actually saying.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Darkest Auer posted:

Turpa kiinni kissa äiät

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

ministerial portfolios. briefcases are the expensive leather bags they are carrying.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

bloom posted:

Kaikki finpolin postaajat pitäis palkkaa supon eliittitrollitehtaaseen.

For once a reasonable policy suggestion

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Letmebefrank posted:

So, no change? Within the error margin?

This is a common but wrong interpretation of what the error margin means. If the poll shows a change, no matter how small, it means it's more likely that the polled quantity has moved into that direction than the other.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Letmebefrank posted:

The margin is the region where, if other basic assumptions hold, it is 95% (or 90% depending on definitions) chance the real value sits.
You were right up to this point. The margin of error is just the 95% confidence interval. This means that 5% of the time the real value is further than the margin of error away from the reported value, in either direction, and this too is normal random variation due to finite sampling.

If the change is greater than the margin of error, then one can say that the polled quantity has changed with (more than) 95% certainty, which is the common level required to claim "statistical significance".

Still, if the reported change is, say, only 50% of the margin of error, it's still more likely that the quantity has moved in that direction than the other.

quote:

Joining several studies together, and making a time series, would probably tell more. If the changes are slow each individual step is not s.s. but the combination of them is.

Right.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
What really pisses me off about the kansalaisaloitteet are the ones that consist of a three-page introduction, 10 pages of intricate proposed law text most likely drafted by some armchair lawyer followed by two more pages of "summary".

First of all, nobody is going to read that wall of text and endorse it unless persuaded by a friend who also did not read it through

Secondly, the purpose of a kansalaisaloite is not to crowdsource the final form of the law. The drafters probably hope to bind the hands of the devious civil servants at the ministry by making the draft as detailed as possible, whereas in reality their draft text will be chucked in the bin and the legal experts will start from scratch. The purpose of the kansalaisaloite would be served far better if they just included a loving bulleted list of the major considerations they want to be included in the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
Signed it anyway :negative: