Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nenonen)
What should the presidential powers be in 2020?
This poll is closed.
UNLIMITED!!!! URKKI 2.0!!!!!! 3 23.08%
Sauli should be allowed to telecast to our homes whenever he pleases, but that should be the limit. 2 15.38%
He should be limited to writing mildly worded letters to HBL and other provincial newspapers. 2 15.38%
None. More power to Sanna & Katri & Maria & Li & Anna-Maja & Jenni! 2 15.38%
Unlimited, but every decision must be subject to a plebiscite. 0 0%
None, but the president's life must be video streamed 24 /7 for the duration of their term, with no censorship. 4 30.77%
Total: 13 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

SnowblindFatal posted:

Mikä olisi se voima joka saisi meidänkaltaisen länkkäridemokratian varautumaan edes kaikista todennäköisimpiin uhkiin? Ensin kukaan ei ole varautunut jos vaikka joku kulkutauti alkaisi leviämään ja sitten kukaan ei ole varautunut jos olisi vähän niukemmin polttoainetta.

Kyllä ne jotakin tuntuu tekevän. Se ei varmaan oo näkynyt päälle ja tuli yllätyksenä itsellekin, mutta tänä syksynä ainakin kunnan puolella on tehty varasuunnitelmia sille, miten toimitaan jos sähköt katkeaa syystä tai toisesta useiksi viikoiksi. On laskettu aggregaatteja ja tehty priorisointeja niiden suhteen, suunniteltu lasten päivähoidon toteuttamista ilman sähkövaloa ja -lämpöä, selvitetty vesihuollon toimintaa poikkeustilanteissa ja niin edelleen.

En tiedä, kuinka laajalti, mutta jostakin kuntatason yläpuolelta se on alkunsa saanut. Että edes nyt joku ajattelee jotain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I'd say the overall mood is a strong "eh", with a small dose of "lol" or *facepalm* towards Turkiye.

Essentially no one is either worried or surprised. The demands are mostly plain illegal so it's not like anything could be done about that.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Essayah might do some crazy poo poo with schools? How is KD in relation to all the loonies that ought to congregate with the crystal and truth parties?

A medium length seriouspost about Christian politicians in Finland and a small rant about KD here.

First things first: I myself am a Christian so I would very much like to vote for the one party that is openly Christian. Unfortunately they are not making it easy. More often than not I end up not to. But I'm actually fine with that.

The Christian faith is a defining characteristic neither for most of the politicians nor for most of the voters - the policies are. Most of the openly Christian politicians are somewhere else than KD and most of the Christian voters vote for other parties than KD. There are at least a couple of major reasons for this.

The Christian Democrats as a party was originally founded mostly by Pentacostal Christians and those in or adjanced to Free Churches and the so-called Fifth Revivalist Movement ("viidesläiset"). In the last 150 or so years there have been 5 significant revivalist waves in Finland. Four of them are and were more organized, and are more or less "old" now. They stayed firmly inside the church. The fifth movement was and still is a bit less organized and while they stayed in the church, too, they're much closer to Free Churches and Pentecostalism than the others. This is significant to politics: KD was founded by those who got poorly along with the main body of the Lutheran church until fairly recently. The vast majority of active Christians decidedly didn't vote for KD.

Another major reason is simply that pretty much every party is friendly to Christianity. It's still the majority religion in Finland and while atheism, agnostism, other religions and outright religious ignorance are on the rise, no party is against Christianity. It's easy to vote just for the policies and not for identity. Every party has openly Christian candidates, be it left, right, centre or fringe. The Left Alliance probably has the least, not because of their policies but due to being heirs to old communists.

So, back to KD:

Essayah is a former athlete and a Pentacostal Christian. She is, however, in my opinion, one of the most seriously issue-focused and competent political leaders at the moment. In any of the bigger parties she'd... still not be a star and it would be a good thing. My impression is that she would not probably want to. She doesn't try to gather extra points and doesn't disrespect her colleagues. She just works.

KD also are not loonies on any scale. It is infuriating how American identity politics and media completely twist general ideas about what and who Christians in politics are. HOWEVER, they are a small party and single people stand out more. They also can scarcely afford turning away potential candidates, who in the recent election leaned heavily right, especially in economical matters. Disturbingly so, if you ask me.

I can only guess why that is but I suspect one major reason is that Christian social values are, in today's world, heavily left-leaning. Environmentalism is HUGE in the Lutheran church, as well as multiculturalism. Taking care of the weak is central to Jesus' teachings. There was a debate organized by the church just before the elections. Either the chairmen or vice chairmen from every party attended. At one point Sebastian Tynkkynen from the Finns party (and a Christian himself) lightly chastised the church about (paraphrasing) "not focusing on the death and resurrection of Christ and instead adopting the red-green agenda". Fair criticism on the first point, maybe, but come on. Why do you think that is happening and who do you think adapts what? Can you back up ANY of the Finns' policies with the Bible? SDP sure can, just go talk with, like, Jutta Urpilainen even once.

Anyway: KD should be mostly normal people but for historical reasons they're more conservative than average and for some reason they also drift right in many other ways. Support for social security is probably the main thing that separates them from other traditionally right-ish parties.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

George Rouncewell posted:

That one church that got sued by Räsänen, that should be good enough for you

Huh? What... *googles*

:shepicide:

bad_fmr posted:

Thanks for this post.
In my view the image if KD is very much poisoned by Räsänen et al. She has been suchs a nasty and mean person both in office and out, while also being the de facto face of the party. I genuinely do not understand how people witch Christian values can hold her in any kind of esteem or respect.

I sort of do but I confess that I don't know much of what she has said lately. I also never really paid much attention to her outside of what reached national news so please don't mistake this for a defense of any kind. I have no interest in defending her.

She's kinda old and has had time to gather respect. Before she became a politician she was just a doctor. She used to, for example, have a very level-headed questions/answers page in a mainstream Lutheran magazine for school age kids. I doubt many parishes would even consider it today but some people must remember that Räsänen.

She also has gathered quite a few martyrdom points, so to speak. I'm not going go deeper into it but between all the actually terrible things she has said, there have been many cases where she has genuinely been misunderstood. Reasons might be many from poor communication to media's religious illiteracy or people just wanting to be outraged. It's not hard, especially if you're of a tribalist mindset and feeling threatened by increasingly non-religious society, to sort of ignore all the real issues about what she says and focus only on how she has been mistreated.

But yeah, last thing that comes to my mind is the uncomfortable truth that some people just like what she's saying. That part I don't understand either.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 27, 2023

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Chazani posted:

"Työssäoloehdon kertymisen lakkauttaminen palkkatuetussa työssä"

Kela posted:

Jos täytät palkansaajan tai yrittäjän työssäoloehdon, sinulla on oikeus peruspäivärahaan. Jos sinulla ei ole oikeutta peruspäivärahaan, sinulla voi olla oikeus työmarkkinatukeen.

Täytät palkansaajan työssäoloehdon, jos

olet ollut palkkatyössä vähintään 26 viikkoa (noin 6 kk) työttömyyttä edeltäneen 28 kuukauden eli tarkastelujakson aikana

työaikasi on ollut (yhdessä tai useammassa työssä) vähintään 18 tuntia viikossa

palkkasi on ollut vähintään työehtosopimuksen mukainen.

Eli suomeksi työttömiltä leikataan.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Fabulous Knight posted:

Korkeakoulutuksesta ilmeisesti leikataan mutta mitä ja kuinka paljon? En löydä mistään uutisesta tuosta mitään mainintaa.

No nyt samalla istumalla löytyi. Rahoitustahan sitä vähennetään, kuis muutenkaan.

No joo, ja kohta vain rikkaat voi uudelleenkouluttautua, kun aikuiskoulutustuki lakkautetaan KOKONAAN. Ja avointen korkeakoulujen maksut nousee.

Opiskelin just muutama vuosi takaperin sosionomiksi, kun vanha työpaikka meni alta. Meidän ryhmässä 100% opiskelijoista sai aikuiskoulutustukea ja näppituntumalla sanon, että 2/3 ei ois ollut mitään mahdollisuuksia opiskella ilman sitä.

Jos otetaan vielä huomioon se, että koulutukseen pääsi pitkälti soveltuvuuskokeen perusteella niin ei se alalle soveltuminen ainakaan lompakon paksuuden kanssa korreloi (ja hyväksymisprosentti oli jotain 8% kaikista hakijoista eli tunkua oli ja tilastolliset virheet on aika pieniä).

Että sellaista mahdollisuuksien tasa-arvoa tässä maassa.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

1 day. They will pass the salkku to Puisto and will "reconsider" Junnila's position in coming years if he promises to not be a nazi

Good guess but not good enough. Lasted a a bit over one hour.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

bad_fmr posted:

Kyllä niitä pesukoneita on keittiöissä Suomessakin. Alle asennetaan muovinen läpyskä joka estää veden vuotamisen kaapiston alle niin ettei sitä huomaisi.

No se on pakollinen muutenkin kaikissa keittiön koneissa, joissa on vettä.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Nice x-axis though.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Goatson posted:

Houkat! Yleiskiäle ylivalla aika o ohi. Pimeydest o nousema uus uljas kiäli, tä meirä yks ainoo Turu murre, jonka hetki vihro o koittanu! Vihro koht puhutaas tämmöttis ja tommottis eikä mittä keksittyj keinovirkkeit niinku tapan o ollus. Pois turhat loppuliitteet sun muut kirjaimet!

Se yks murre löytä muut, se yks murre muit hallitse! Yks murre kaik yähä syökse ja pimeytee kahlitse!

I'm sold. Had to share that with family Whatsapp, too. :smaug:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Soon niin notta tuallaannen kissatyrmä on kunnijanosootus sille, joka sinne pääsöö. Reuhka pois päästä vaan.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Well, it was weird that a package full of signatures were diverted to Estonia, but then again that's just the state of Posti after neoliberalism has rotted its core.

And that's ironic.

Posti stated that it was just the tracking code that was wrong. The actual shipment went where it was supposed to

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

"Suomessa ei ole valtionkirkkoa :smug:"

:jerkbag:

No ei virallisesti, mutta niin pitkään kuin sillä instituutiolla on verotusoikeus, nimenanto-oikeus, oikeus vihkiä avioliittoon ja se hoitaa hautausmaita, niin side valtioon on olemassa. Ja se pitäisi katkaista.

En sinänsä oo eri mieltä, mutta

A) Verotusoikeus on jäsenmaksu. Se, että valtio kerää sen ja tilittää kirkoille (luterilainen ja ortodoksinen) on ostopalvelu, josta kirkot maksavat erikseen valtiolle.
B) Väestörekisterin pito ei ole rinnakkaista, vaan lasten nimet ja avioliittoon vihkimiset ovat valtion asioita.
C) Hautausmaiden hoito (ja monien museoviraston suojelemien rakennusten ylläpito) on taas ostopalvelu toisin päin. Tosin valtio ei maksa läheskään kaikkia kuluja niistä.

Mutta siis joo, kyllä kahdella pääkirkolla ja valtiolla eitämättä siteet on. Näkyyhän se vaikka valtiollisissa jumalanpalveluksissa. Ne siteet vaan on niin kevyet nykyään, että en kyllä valtionkirkoksi sanoisi.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Keisari posted:

Valtio rahoittaa seurakuntien toimintaa suoraan budjetista: https://evl.fi/plus/hallinto-ja-talous/seurakuntatalous/valtionrahoitus-seurakunnille-eraisiin-yhteiskunnallisiin-tehtaviin/

En varsinaisesti myöskään sanoisi, että kirkko on eriytetty valtiosta, sillä nämä kaksi (ev. lut. ja ortodoksinen kirkko) nauttivat erioikeuksia muihin nähden. (Muille ei näitä oikeuksia pitäisi antaa vaan näiltä ne pitäisi poistaa. T: toinen raivoateisti)

Juu, siis ennen tuo oli se yhteisövero-osuus ja nykyään budjetoitu osa. Se on se korvaus yhteiskunnallisten tehtävien hoidosta (hautausmaat ja historiallisesti arvokkaiden rakennusten ylläpito ja väestökirjanpitoon osallistuminen).

Ei meikäläisellä varsinaisesti ole väliä tehtiin nuo jutut sitten niin tai näin. Tällä mallilla ne on historiallisin perustein ja kummallakaan osapuolella ei ole ollut vissiin tarpeeksi halua muuttaa asioita. Valtiolle nykymalli tulee halvemmaksi ja seurakunnille se on takuulla hallinnollisesti kätevämpää, kun ne kuitenkin on niitä tahoja, jotka enimmäkseen käyttää hautausmaita ja vanhoja kirkkoja.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 15, 2024

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Akava has proven themselves to be utterly useless. I mean at one point they really bought the argument about the government plans being "the will of the people". I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually secret Kok lovers.

Considering that the largest unions inside Akava are engineers, teachers, economists and the like...

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Apparently. I thought PS was somewhat mixed bag of political leanings at least economically but Purra straight up calling the unions "oppressor solidarity organisations" and " the biggest break in Finland" is pretty clear language.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

Finnish christianity is atheism in practice. Nobody actually believes any of things that are in the Bible, Church is merely an office where you get the Official Dude say that you are now married, your child's name is this or your relative is now dead.

One time in Helsinki there was a bit of a fuss about how school ending ceremony was going to be held in the church even though school should be a non-religious thing. Can't remember if it was Orpo or Vapaavuori who wondered that what difference does it make? Church is a large room, where else are you going to find a place that fits all these school children.

Holy temple of christianity has absolutly nothing religious about it. Not even Soviet Union thought it this way. Stalin tried to suppress christianity but instead he should've convert all orthodox people to lutherans.

I don't know what else to say besides you apparently are living in some sort of an atheist bubble. I mean it not as a judgement but I, for example, live in a different bubble.

I'm a kindergarten teacher in a daycare that gathers all the kids in the area and every single one of them attends the local parish päiväkerho, to the point that it is much easier for us to provide a space from our building, since we aren't using it during that time anyway.

Finland is big enough for a lots of different kinds of communities.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

Yes, but how many of the parents (or children) actually believes anything they teach about Jesus, apostles and all that?

Or is the päiväkerho just handy service provided by state office?

Most, I guess, to a varying degree. I mean, I know at least half of them well enough and the rest of the kids could just stay in the daycare doing equivalent activities during that time, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

While they will certainly hurt, those are way more reasonable and equal than I feared. Remains to be seen what the tax cuts to compensate the VAT increase for the lowest income people actually will be, though.