Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm ready to eat out of the trash can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Cloks posted:

Does anyone read A.S. Hamrah's criticism? He eschews plot description, referencing actor's previous work for context and political readings of non-political films so his reviews are pretty terse and use vivid language to convey accurate impressions.

Here's his most recent review column: https://nplusonemag.com/issue-33/reviews/we-can-still-think-our-own-thoughts/

I find his positive reviews as interesting as his negative ones which I think is pretty rare for a modern critic.

I love this. Capsule reviews are underrated, and really open the opportunity for writers to get a bit poetic in their critiques.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

October is insane. It feels like the work of some advanced alien race that's far beyond our puny human understanding. Kind of makes me wonder what Eisenstein would have done next if Stalin hadn't told him to knock it off.

You ever see Que Viva Mexico?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I really love it because it's got some of the most lavish images he ever shot, but it was edited from raw footage after his death so I can see that being an issue. I'd still say it's an underrated essential.