Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Hey y'all, I got a IK iRig HD 2 for Xmas (primarily with the intention of connecting my iphone to my collection on guitar pedals and making a racket with Animoog) and it got me wondering: the previous iOS Music Production thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364734) has been dead for a year and a half now, so is there anything new and exciting under the sun for making music with overpriced Apple devices?

Content: I've only messed around with it once, but so far the iRig HD 2 is definitely living up to my hopes. I don't really intend to do much playing of guitar through the device as I already own a couple of good amps, but poo poo, it comes with full-featured Amplitude for your desktop and a host of other software so it's tough to imagine anyone coming out behind with this thing. I could do with a metal housing but it does exactly what I needed: plugs into the lightning port of my sadly 1/8" audio-free iPhone 8+ and sends an instrument-level signal out, either to an amp or a direct in. No weird hum, no impedance mismatch, no other weird nonsense.

Probably will inevitably end up obsoleted out someday when Apple changes their connectors yet again for no drat reason or whatever, but for the under $100 bucks it runs I'm sure I'll get my worth out of it before that time comes. (poo poo, I still have my AKAI keyboard with the old 22-pin connector, if anything that's even more useful now that you can pick up ancient iPad 2s on ebay for $60.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
Evidently the answer to the titular question is ‘not so much at SA anyway’ so if someone knows where people are still discussing this topic, let me know.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

SuperiorToaster posted:

I take advantage of a slightly hidden feature in the iOS camera app which automatically uses audio inputs 1/2 from an external lightning connected device to override the built in microphone.

This is useful information I did not previously know, much appreciated.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

Gnumonic posted:

I do kind of want to pick up an iRig so I can lug my guitars to the office and practice when I'm not doing any real work though.
I won't lie, that was my secondary motivation for wanting one. It's pretty slick for that. I'm running it into one of those 3W Donner mini amps that I picked up for $25 off ebay and it's a surprisingly satisfying little lunchtime jamming rig, especially paired with the Zoom MS50G multistomp, which runs on a pair of AAs.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

Philthy posted:

Is there anything a first gen retina ipad can run?
I have two second generation iPads (so one gen older than yours) and run Animoog, Gadget, iMS-20, modular synth, Magellan, Borderlands, Cantor, Sound Cells, Mugician, SunrizerXS, Addictive Synth, and Orphinio. Some of these may not still be available and most will require you to download an older version I assume but you should be able to find something there.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

xzzy posted:

A USB+3.5mm to lightning cable doesn't appear to exist.
There’s one on amazon for $16 and anyway you generally only need either/or in one cable, not both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
I don’t know the specifics of the apps you’re talking about but in general an audio routing app like Audiobus can be used to connect one app to another within iOS. I haven’t done it extensively but it’s always worked well for me when I’ve used it.