Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Night Danger Moose posted:

I will never get on people who want to leave Boiz for an actual serious guild. The goon guild is just a halfway house for those who are figuring out what they want with the game. Some move on to more serious business guilds, others forget about the game, and a few of us are lifers in it. I probably could've gone to a serious guild years ago but I never want the game to start feeling like a job. I'll never have concrete guild requirements other than be a member of this dead gay comedy forum, and more power to those who want more out of the game.

Oh yeah I didn't mean to criticise, guild is awesome. :) The game just sets the ceiling very high when it comes to the weekly guild rewards and how much activity they require. So there's room for "optimising" it.

I've just left to join one of the Black Dragon guilds, a less hardcore one but with very active players. For example on Tower of Doom just now all 30 players are active (even me with just a handful of dooms since I had already used all the sigils heh). The extra guild tasks should help a lot with writs and more event rewards will be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
The current weekly event is Journey and there's a new troop, journey captain, who is a red version of Chalcedony, for dragons. Should be fairly hilarious.

So that's 4 of these kinds of troops now I think: Chalcedony for brown/constructs; Seekra Darkwood for purple/elves; Todd Greenwood for green/wargare; and now Huntmaster Arborius for red/dragons.

Also this week there's a bug in the journey event. Arborius, the new captain, gets double magic in this week's journey event only. But the way they coded it the doubling apparently can trigger also when some troops use their spell, notably Baby Dragon. So if you put a Baby Dragon in your team, and cast its spell, your Arborius will have his magic doubled again. They'll probably fix it soon, but some early players have been enjoying this bug.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

yeah i guess their solution to chalce being so unbalanced was to.... do more of that

lol at that bug, that's a good one

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

49 rooms cleared in this underspire and haven't found the first boss or even the door to the 2nd area. Looking at Mx.'s post above I'm sure the keystone is on another branch but I had no idea it could have paths this long lol

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

lmao that's crazy

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
I read somewhere that that Underspire thing is a known bug and they'll hopefully fix it soon, maybe.

Meanwhile the previous "summon/transform action doubles journey captain's magic" issue persisted to the end I think.

This week there's a world event, and while there's no event captain, one of the troops you can use in the event is Kryshound. The bug of the week is that Kryshound's ability is "halve an enemy's armor and life", and apparently the way it's done is it does damage to armor and damage to life (true damage); but this damage is affected by the special event medal that gives more spell damage. With +160% spell damage Kryshound's ability reduces any troop's life to zero in one cast. Except apparently if they have spell armor or something, maybe you could even get around that by using more than one medal.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Great find, love it!

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
It's time for invasion this week (towers) and I saw a rumour somewhere that apparently the "double magic is doubled again when summon happens" bug is still around. Haven't tried it myself yet, but yes, potentially lol. So in detail: in the invasion event, use the new troop Iron Maiden, it gets double magic as intended; but if you successfully summon something then Iron Maiden's magic is doubled a second time.

Also in Underspire news, there's a more serious bug where if you encounter a room with just 4 ogres in it, that will consume your torch and crash the game, so don't try to fight that one. Hopefully they'll fix this pronto since if this room is on the critical path then you can't complete the event.

Enjoying the game as ever, but dang, these new things (Underspire and the new event captains which get double magic) are some buggy stuff

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Tower of Doom spreadsheet is refreshed and ready to go https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1boMOiIEUE5DTUVbaUUm_Xmt0c0a_ZKgE-ELovBneTMM/edit?usp=drivesdk

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Today is a special day for taking down those towers, get at it

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Is this still the thread? Used to be part of the Boiz and thinking I’ll check it out again. Looks like a lot has changed since I last played.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It is! Post your code and leave your guild and you'll get an invite in not too long

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Invite code:
LUCKYCHASE

It’s been years. There’s so much more stuff now! Spent some of today just exploring all the menus and such.

Did play a couple battles. The infinite kraken deck was like riding a bicycle.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I saw the invite, thanks! When I opened it, I got an error and it said join by invite only. Did it expire or something? I couldn’t really check yesterday.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
I've sent another invite, but I'm not sure how it works or if the invites expire.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
As a person coming back to this a bit after like 3+ years (!!), I am sure I am way out of date. I see there’s an underground area now, and pets, and medals, and more. I have all the normal kingdoms unlocked (I think) and at level 10. I have a lot of legendary (EDIT: and mythic) troops that were good at the time, like Kraken, Krystenax, Emperor Korvash, Draakulis, and a lot of other troops of that era.

What’s the best way to get up to speed on the new concepts? (And maybe a refresher on the existing ones too 😬) Is there a good site that explains a lot of it? Are there certain things I should be targeting? What’s the overall progression strategy?

crestfallen fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 11, 2023

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
There's a beginner's guide somewhere from the Black Dragon guild conglomerate, if you search this thread I seem to remember you'll find it. It's a pdf with like 30 pages

You probably want to unlock all the delves aka factions aka underground things asap, especially City of Thieves (for farming forever at level 20) and Deep Hive (for Queen Beetrix, a real good troop, once you've farmed some chaos shards). That's maybe the most important I guess. Anyway, yeah beginner's guide, has all the details heh

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

crestfallen posted:

As a person coming back to this a bit after like 3+ years (!!), I am sure I am way out of date. I see there’s an underground area now, and pets, and medals, and more. I have all the normal kingdoms unlocked (I think) and at level 10. I have a lot of legendary (EDIT: and mythic) troops that were good at the time, like Kraken, Krystenax, Emperor Korvash, Draakulis, and a lot of other troops of that era.

What’s the best way to get up to speed on the new concepts? (And maybe a refresher on the existing ones too 😬) Is there a good site that explains a lot of it? Are there certain things I should be targeting? What’s the overall progression strategy?

jaete posted:

There's a beginner's guide somewhere from the Black Dragon guild conglomerate, if you search this thread I seem to remember you'll find it. It's a pdf with like 30 pages

You probably want to unlock all the delves aka factions aka underground things asap, especially City of Thieves (for farming forever at level 20) and Deep Hive (for Queen Beetrix, a real good troop, once you've farmed some chaos shards). That's maybe the most important I guess. Anyway, yeah beginner's guide, has all the details heh

The guide is also pinned in the lobby of the Goons of War discord, invite link is in the OP.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Thank you very kindly! A lot to learn.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The rooms are the same in each guild's towers, so we use this sheet to scout ahead and not waste time with anything but unlock, luck, fireball and heroism scrolls.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Oh cool, I did some tower stuff but didn’t know there was a sheet for it. Nice!

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Is there room for me in the goon guiId? I am a pretty casuaI pIayer, but I can contribute about 200 000 goId every week, and I try to do most events

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Question since I can’t seem to a risky find this answer.

Advice is to farm City of Thieves delve and to “leave it at level 20”. What does this mean? Can you complete it at 20 and choose 20 again? Do you need to lose it or run away before finishing it at 20?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

crestfallen posted:

Advice is to farm City of Thieves delve and to “leave it at level 20”. What does this mean? Can you complete it at 20 and choose 20 again? Do you need to lose it or run away before finishing it at 20?

Can complete a run at 20 then run at 20 again

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

BattyKiara posted:

Is there room for me in the goon guiId? I am a pretty casuaI pIayer, but I can contribute about 200 000 goId every week, and I try to do most events

Definitely room, just post your invite code. Gold contributions not required, just participate.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
How casual is the group? Activity has been spotty for me, sometimes only a total of a couple quick check ins each day, a handful of battles. Is that okay?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

We're 100% casual, just play whenever you like and have fun. Also, don't spend any gold on guild tasks until you're over level 1000. Use it to level your kingdoms and delve hoards so you can make bigger contributions later.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Cool. Thanks ☺️

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Just got back to Gems of War. What changed? I noticed there's now upgradeable forge, season pass rewards, new undergound kingdoms, new units and such. How has the meta changed?

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Annointed posted:

Just got back to Gems of War. What changed? I noticed there's now upgradeable forge, season pass rewards, new undergound kingdoms, new units and such. How has the meta changed?

What was good the last time you played? Based on what seems new to you there's a lot. Looping journey troops, gem dragons, and wand of stars are all pretty good. This week's glory troop, Daughter of Time, has a bunch of potential for creating looping teams.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Recycled Karma posted:

What was good the last time you played? Based on what seems new to you there's a lot. Looping journey troops, gem dragons, and wand of stars are all pretty good. This week's glory troop, Daughter of Time, has a bunch of potential for creating looping teams.

My latest mythic was the possessed king and High king irongut. It has been years since I last played.

Meta team
Divine Isbaala
Kirin
Rope Dart Frost Queen
Moon rabbit

Loop skull team

With
mountain hammer frost queen.
Hive queen
Goblin truffle
possessed king

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Annointed posted:

My latest mythic was the possessed king and High king irongut. It has been years since I last played.

Meta team
Divine Isbaala
Kirin
Rope Dart Frost Queen
Moon rabbit

Loop skull team

With
mountain hammer frost queen.
Hive queen
Goblin truffle
possessed king

Those teams should still be able to hold their own. Big things that might be new since you last played:
  • Craftable mythics - There's a rotating set of mythics each week in the forge. Every mythic appears once per cycle. To craft them, you're going to need diamonds.
  • Daily dungeon - Best source of crafting gems (e.g. diamonds). Six rooms with three battles each day. Two are traps, one is a boon, and three are fights. If you can find and clear the three fights without triggering a trap, you get dragonite. There are also daily offers in the dungeon for more crafting resources. The best one is Sunday because it give Diamonds.
  • Gem dragons - The first six drops when you craft a gem dragon egg using dragonite. It's random so you'll have to create more than six eggs to get them all. Once you do, you can craft Diamantina, one of the best troops currently
  • New orbs - New major and minor orbs for leveling pets, upgrading weapons, and medalling troops. Relatively rare compared to the standard orbs.
  • Gnome-a-palooza - There are four new gnomes that can randomly appear. Each one drops a different verse. Once you have all four verses, you can craft a gnome-a-palooza which makes all enemy troops treasure gnomes for 15 minutes. If you use it on a vault weekend (like this upcoming weekend) and a fast team on Explore 1, you can get tons of resources and vault keys. The best mythic for a fast team is Ironhawk. I currently run Sister Superior / Dust Devil / Ironhawk / Ironhawk for that. Slayer Hero / Dust Devil / Dust Devil / Ironhawk also works but is slower.
  • Elementalist class - Probably the best class in the game. Fully traited, it stuns, freezes, burns, and entangles a random enemy of 4 or 5 matches. Plus it has barrier on brown at level 40. You will see that a lot on PvP teams.

There's also the underspire, shiny troops, and epic trials and probably a bunch of other things I'm forgetting.

Recycled Karma fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 22, 2023

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Are there certain little games and events that are not worth doing? I know treasure maps are garbage after a certain point, for example. What else is like that?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

crestfallen posted:

Are there certain little games and events that are not worth doing? I know treasure maps are garbage after a certain point, for example. What else is like that?

From what I tried Arena is not worth the headache of trash units. Also is Deep Delve worth it?

Annointed fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 26, 2023

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Just picked this up, really scratching the PQ itch. Invite is CIRUS_Z4WY if there are any guild spots open!

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

cirus posted:

Just picked this up, really scratching the PQ itch. Invite is CIRUS_Z4WY if there are any guild spots open!

Invite sent!

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Decided to jump back in after a couple years of not playing, can I get an invite to any of the goon guilds? Code is SA WILLEH

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I do not like this change to the pvp system. I just want to log into the pvp menu select the enemies and grind some exp to reach my minimum pvp goal. Now I have to go through more screens to do the same thing?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It looks like your team gets saved in each kingdom so you only have to set those up once. Central spire will let you use any team so just set up your normal PvP team there and it should be about the same? Loading new opponents does take extra long now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It has been years. Is there a way to swap medals faster than in the main hub menu? I don't see a way to swap medals in the team editor menu.