Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
But still insanely pay to win with people spending thousands on card auctions right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Soarer posted:

But still insanely pay to win with people spending thousands on card auctions right?

The whaling and card auctions are probably the least of the game's worries. Honestly MVP cards are nothing compared to actual gear in both usefulness and in game cost. To put in perspective, a card that sells for 1500 BCC has a converted zeny cost of 15,000,000. A wizards accessory that I miraculously lucked into refining to +12 is around 200,000,000.

The game's biggest flaws, in my opinion, are the stamina grind. At first people thought being limited on grinding time sucked but turns out 300 mins a day is a lot to farm, even when you can halve it will items (3 characters per account to farm money with, each using lightning chains to speed up the grind = 450 real world minutes of grinding a day). Thankfully China servers are looking into doubling drop rate and exp in exchange for halving the combat time per day, effectively giving you more free time from farming. The other issues would be more to do with no real sense of balance in pvp, so it's more of a dick waving contest... plus there's so many mechanics, features, tricks, etc that just won't be explained anywhere that you have to look up on your own, though episode 5 tries its best to correct this.

That said it's still fun to me! But maybe it's cause I love RO lol. The item rarity and thirst for big numbers keeps me going, and being in a large active and friendly guild certainly helps.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So I've got a question, I've been trying to get this up and running on my phone only for it to keep crashing before I ever even get a chance to log in, is an iPhone 6 just too underpowered these days to run it at all? I'm cool with playing it via an emulator but I would have kind of preferred to use my phone, but if my phone's just a little too old then welp.

There's no error message or anything, it just hangs for a moment and then suddenly crashes. Reinstalling it and restarting my phone hasn't helped.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Inverted Sphere posted:

So I've got a question, I've been trying to get this up and running on my phone only for it to keep crashing before I ever even get a chance to log in, is an iPhone 6 just too underpowered these days to run it at all? I'm cool with playing it via an emulator but I would have kind of preferred to use my phone, but if my phone's just a little too old then welp.

There's no error message or anything, it just hangs for a moment and then suddenly crashes. Reinstalling it and restarting my phone hasn't helped.

Same phone same issues. The 6 just can’t run it.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

The Crusher posted:

The whaling and card auctions are probably the least of the game's worries. Honestly MVP cards are nothing compared to actual gear in both usefulness and in game cost. To put in perspective, a card that sells for 1500 BCC has a converted zeny cost of 15,000,000. A wizards accessory that I miraculously lucked into refining to +12 is around 200,000,000.

The game's biggest flaws, in my opinion, are the stamina grind. At first people thought being limited on grinding time sucked but turns out 300 mins a day is a lot to farm, even when you can halve it will items (3 characters per account to farm money with, each using lightning chains to speed up the grind = 450 real world minutes of grinding a day). Thankfully China servers are looking into doubling drop rate and exp in exchange for halving the combat time per day, effectively giving you more free time from farming. The other issues would be more to do with no real sense of balance in pvp, so it's more of a dick waving contest... plus there's so many mechanics, features, tricks, etc that just won't be explained anywhere that you have to look up on your own, though episode 5 tries its best to correct this.

That said it's still fun to me! But maybe it's cause I love RO lol. The item rarity and thirst for big numbers keeps me going, and being in a large active and friendly guild certainly helps.

the biggest flaw is still that champions can killsteal any MVP with zero effort whenever they want.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Dizz posted:

the biggest flaw is still that champions can killsteal any MVP with zero effort whenever they want.

Champs are old news, even Shuras have trouble being relevant these days. The latest MVPs from the Nifelhiem patch are super bastards and the only class that can reliably kill Lord of Death solo is Sorcerer; 620 flee gained easily from Wind Field + their wind summon and equips with flee enchants and auto-spell lightning bolt level 15 with Tidal Shows + Silk Robe combo that makes your AA target turn into water element means you have an MVP that can only hit you with 5% accuracy and gets melted by a weakness it isn't supposed to have!

There's so many ways to break this game's economy, MVP hunting is only good if you're bored I think. Right now, Lava Gems are hot (hah) on the market because they are needed for lots of endgame equipment upgrades. Now, Einbroch field spawns a Martin Dearie that will summon a Martin Princess once killed. She is a bitch to kill, but she summons 3 Martin "stars" with her and each one of those is like a 50% Lava Gem drop chance and die in seconds. Martin Dearie respawns every 2 hours per channel... Take some time to time out the respawn timer on every channel then loop back around between channels every 2 hr rotation. All of a sudden you have 100 Lava gems (about 9 million zeny) in one day.

Oh and old apple products seem to crash a lot on this game. my 2018 ipad would crash like 15 times a day and get the worst framrate issues at random moments. Tried a 2019 ipad air and haven't crashed once. I've heard similar results with iphone 8 and lower crashes and with iphone 11 never crashing. Alternatively, my Galaxy S10e has never crashed either. It's prob better just to emulate on a computer but I gotta be on the go.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

The Crusher posted:

Champs are old news, even Shuras have trouble being relevant these days. The latest MVPs from the Nifelhiem patch are super bastards and the only class that can reliably kill Lord of Death solo is Sorcerer; 620 flee gained easily from Wind Field + their wind summon and equips with flee enchants and auto-spell lightning bolt level 15 with Tidal Shows + Silk Robe combo that makes your AA target turn into water element means you have an MVP that can only hit you with 5% accuracy and gets melted by a weakness it isn't supposed to have!

There's so many ways to break this game's economy, MVP hunting is only good if you're bored I think. Right now, Lava Gems are hot (hah) on the market because they are needed for lots of endgame equipment upgrades. Now, Einbroch field spawns a Martin Dearie that will summon a Martin Princess once killed. She is a bitch to kill, but she summons 3 Martin "stars" with her and each one of those is like a 50% Lava Gem drop chance and die in seconds. Martin Dearie respawns every 2 hours per channel... Take some time to time out the respawn timer on every channel then loop back around between channels every 2 hr rotation. All of a sudden you have 100 Lava gems (about 9 million zeny) in one day.

Oh and old apple products seem to crash a lot on this game. my 2018 ipad would crash like 15 times a day and get the worst framrate issues at random moments. Tried a 2019 ipad air and haven't crashed once. I've heard similar results with iphone 8 and lower crashes and with iphone 11 never crashing. Alternatively, my Galaxy S10e has never crashed either. It's prob better just to emulate on a computer but I gotta be on the go.

sounds like a slog tbh. my character was a stalker. They any good these days? or am I too far behind on content because I quit in march or so?

This was a gist of my gear

93/55 stalker

Dizz fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 26, 2019

Sleepfin
Sep 2, 2008
I lost my virginity in Ragnarok Online.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

:frogon:

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Dizz posted:

sounds like a slog tbh. my character was a stalker. They any good these days? or am I too far behind on content because I quit in march or so?

This was a gist of my gear

93/55 stalker

Never played that class so my expertise is limited but +9 bow looks sexy. Stalker (and eventually shadow chaser) was the most broken class in episode 4. Mana Trap was THE best pvp skill in the game with no exception. Episode 5 nerfed it to deal proper damages and be affected by proper reductions so now it's just an extremely good utility against magic users. Shadow chasers are the sneakiest bastards and can hide to smack emperiums really easily. They are why everyone spams sight/ruwach every second of every day. They're good.

Tbh though gear won't be your biggest gating factor. You can probably get really nice equips in a month. The biggest deal is contribution and gold medals, primarily obtained from guild contribution. The amount of stats and skill boosts you get from aesir basically defines your strength, to the point that serious guilds usually impose a contribution and gold medal minimum to join. That being said, there's tons of guilds who just play semi casual and don't care about that.

F2P items are good, there's only a select few items that are best in slot that aren't F2P, and it's always headgear. If you like the game go for it! BUT I'll say that if grinding is annoying to you maybe wait or hold out until episode 6 drops. It's very likely going to follow SEA and CN servers where they doubled the exp and drop rates while halving the combat time (farming stamina). Makes doing your daily grind so much faster and requires a lot less dedication.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I signed off for like 10 months because I got really into Summoners War and came back and now I am the guild leader for LLJK, :lol:

I've been playing this again for a couple weeks, there is so much drat content.
Pet adventures, pet labor, meatballs for mission boards and other stuff. Events. A main quest story line I still haven't touched. Tower of something. Some sort of monster onslaught 3x a day thing. I can't even keep track.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Episode 6.0 literally just dropped yesterday. Even if you play this every day, yesterday was an overwhelming day. The main new big stuff includes:

-Advanced runes, new runes that are much more simplified yet much more impactful than the aesir monument. These runes give you stats as well as alter your skills or even give you brand new skills.

-Thanatos Tower, a new weekly challenge that can be attempted with the newly introduced 12-person party. This is the closest thing ROM has to raids. The challenge requires good coordination and team comp.

-Homeland system. After a short quest in prontera, you can literally get your own animal crossing style house complete with placeable furniture. The main draws for this are a handful of furniture that does some really convenient stuff (access storage/teleport anywhere for free, train 3 pets at a time, etc). Also any furniture you craft gives you permanent stat unlocks.

-Mounts! 3rd job classes can participate in a short quest to get a class-specific mount that increases movespeed. As always, only knight and crusader classes with the cavalry skill can use skills and fight on a mount, but anyone can ride theirs. There's also a new adventure skill that allows you to automatically use your mount any time you move using the mini map.

-THEY REDUCED COMABT TIME! This is a great change as it takes away the system-killing grind. You used to get 300 minutes of CT (combat time) a day in which exp and drops were earned at a 100% rate. CT stacks up to 900 minutes before it is lost. Even with lightning chains (which gives double exp and double drops at the cost of double CT usage) grinding was a long chore, especially if you used all 3 characters on your account. NOW, they halved the CT (150 minutes per day) and compensated by increasing exp and drop rates by 220%, which technically gives more than before. tl;dr, you get more loot for less time, so you have more time to spend with your family (you can thank China gaming laws for this).

-Tons of quality of life upgrades. 360 degree camera rotation in some maps, simplified board quests (3 as opposed to 10 daily), simplified rifts (can auto complete via your assistant using meatballs instead of physically traveling to the rift), guild donations can be maxed in 1 go instead of donating 5 times per item, your deposited equipment can be used as fashion without the need to take it out of your handbook (meaning you keep the deposit bonus AND can wear them as fashion at the same time. All 3 characters on your account can do this!), and much more.

I play this game basically every day since launch, so if anyone needs any help with anything let me know! There's a massive amount of stuff to learn and sometimes the resources to do so can be limited.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
I'm glad you posted about it

I've hard trouble trying to find out when the update was coming out.

Do you have a good resource for job info? I played RO long ago but I'd like some direction on class builds/play style.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Silhouette Wires posted:

I'm glad you posted about it

I've hard trouble trying to find out when the update was coming out.

Do you have a good resource for job info? I played RO long ago but I'd like some direction on class builds/play style.

Hopefully you like videos because the best resource bar none are a handful of youtubers.

Miss Maven is an SEA (south east asia) player who updates regularly with new info. Back when the game launched she did very in depth guides on most if not all classes. Search her name + the class you're interested in an you'll find good info on how to level, what to build, and how to skill yourself.

This game is very similar to old RO in a lot of way, but also very different. Here's a really REALLY short rundown on my experience with the classes. I'll mostly be judging their 3rd job classes, as those are the endgame you'll be dealing with.

Swordsman (Rune Knights + Royal Guards): I will say that THEORETICALLY, rune knights are one of the strongest PVP and MVP classes in the game. Rune knights get dragon mounts that can use aoe breath attacks that can be devastating if you're overgeared. Royal Guards are in high demand because they can taunt (needed for Thanatos tower and some MVPs), can remove "land protector" (earth field) from sages, and are all around great in team comps. Downside, they are a PAIN to level up, slow farming options.

Mage (Warlock + Sorcerer): Two polar opposite classes in how they attack, Warlock specializes in huge AoE and one of the best burst damages in the game. Warlock is probably also the best farming class and easiest to level up. Very expensive to gear. Sorcerer is a support class with high single target DPS using auto attacks and very high flee capability. Its the best class for soloing MVPs due to their flee. They are also 100% necessary in PVP because of land protector/earth field (an AoE skill that prevents other AoE skills from being cast in the area).

Thief (Guillotine Cross + Shadow Chaser): I know probably the least of this class, but what I do know is that they can hide and they can do wonders in PVP because of it. A skilled rogue/assassin can just bypass everything and tap an emperium no problem. Rogue tree is more flexible, using bows and traps to support with. Assassin poison is annoying as hell. These guys are good objective busters.

Archer (Ranger + Minstrel/Wanderer): Ranger is all about crits + high DPS. They lay traps n stuff to hinder movement... Honestly I feel like they're getting a bit shafted lately. bard/dancer classes on the other hand have incredibly useful music skills for buffing party and very powerful AoE farming skills. I think all I can say here is bard/dancer is a good choice if you decide to go archer. Gender DOES matter as bard and dancers have combo skills that can only be performed with one of each, no Male/male or female/female.

Merchant (Mechanic/Genetic): Mechanics can board a literal Warhammer mech and cause some havoc. The Blacksmith tree has all around good skill for making extra zeny and mechanics are powerhouses that can do insane damage if geared correctly (read: expensively). Genetics have awesome support skills that can also remove a sorcerer's land protector. For this reason they're also in high demand.

Acolyte (Arch Bishop/Shura): Arch Bishops are never ever a bad thing. you can gear them to farm well, you can gear them for full support, they can AoE heal entire guilds and AoE revive just the same. If you like making sure people don't die and love spending your money on survival rather than killing, they're great for that. Shura…. and Monks in general... I have almost no idea what they are good for. They can 1 hit kill almost anyone with Asura Strike... and maybe that's it. Honestly I feel like they're the most useless class.

Okay maybe that wasn't short.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
Thanks for the write up. I'll start watching some more videos I guess.

I'll probably keep playing my mage for a while till I figure the game out some more.

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Turns out I am the LLJK leader now?? Bug me if you want in I guess. I/G name is Schmohawk.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

If any of you actually play and want a free ET carry 1-100 just PM "TheCrusher" in game and let me know. That loot weekly can easily jumpstart a player!

Close to breaking 12,000 matk unbuffed :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

So, there's these things called Nolan cards you can get from weekly wave-based survival modes called Oracle Dungeon. You get these cards for doing the different difficulties. Once you get 7500 (about 4 to 7 months worth depending on what difficulties you clear) you can exchange them for a random mvp or mini boss card.

Mine happened to be the second best card in the game worth roughly $5,000 lmao. Being immune to stun is one of the most game changing things you can get. I still can't believe it.