Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Did anything ever come of the rumor of a new entrant into IMSA DPi? Feels like that rumor never developed past those initial reports.

I was watching Subaru's Launch Control show and they mentioned having something else lined up and if you have a North American racing team that doesn't have ARX to compete in and Scott Speed on payroll it makes sense. Would like to see some more news on that front soon with Daytona coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

net work error posted:

Did anything ever come of the rumor of a new entrant into IMSA DPi? Feels like that rumor never developed past those initial reports.

I was watching Subaru's Launch Control show and they mentioned having something else lined up and if you have a North American racing team that doesn't have ARX to compete in and Scott Speed on payroll it makes sense. Would like to see some more news on that front soon with Daytona coming up.

Not gonna happen now with DPI2.0 two seasons away (or maybe hypercar merger, or maybe neither and DPI gets extended who knows!). Ganassi had a Multimatic chassis with the Mazda suspension updates running with the Ford GT engine ready for this year, but its canned forever because Ford are petulant babies.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Weirdly it seems all the new entrants are going to LMP2 for some reason. Are there a job lot of 2nd hand Orecas suddenly or something?

Oh and those one idiots running a Riley.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
One of the big initiatives in the offseason was making LMP2 cheaper (shorter schedule) and drawing in an actual field of entrants for 2020, so it seems to be working

Did anyone else notice the white red and blue Idemitsu livery on the #77 Mazda at the Roar? They have no real presence in the US aside from people who buy premix for rotaries so that's a pretty weird sponsor for an IMSA entrant

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Idemitsu produces the OEM branded motor oil for Honda and Mazda I believe. Perhaps others.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Does anyone know if trackpass includes replays of the races they broadcast?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

an oddly awful oud posted:

One of the big initiatives in the offseason was making LMP2 cheaper (shorter schedule) and drawing in an actual field of entrants for 2020, so it seems to be working

Did anyone else notice the white red and blue Idemitsu livery on the #77 Mazda at the Roar? They have no real presence in the US aside from people who buy premix for rotaries so that's a pretty weird sponsor for an IMSA entrant

I did! I was going to link to a Jalopnik article with it yesterday but it's a real good livery.

It also looks like Idemitsu is finally seeing value in going racing, they've been sponsoring Takaaki Nakagami in MotoGP for a bit, cool to see them step up with Mazda. Will definitely improve their profile.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I just wanted to say that I don’t believe for a second that Acura are actually as slow as they look at the Roar and they’re aiming for another bullshit BoP adjustment before the 24

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think never trusting what you see at the Roar is a solid rule for every team.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Mazda seems to go full send every year though. Probably gonna end up rooting for them again and getting disappointed when they blow a turbo in the night as usual. :smith:

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Well the Acura did manage to “surprisingly” set the fastest time during practice 6 but Olivier Pla just edged Ollie Jarvis’ time from last year to take the Roar pole. Goddamn Pla is a beast

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Do not put much faith into testing times.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hey it's January! That means it's time for the Dakar Rally to get started this year in beautiful *puts on reading glasses* ...Saudi Arabia? Huh. Well, it's big and sandy and desert, so it's at least okay for the racing.

As well, I'll get started on a new OP for 2020 soon. Any requests or things to add compared with last year?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I like the op from this thread so the only change really would be where some races can be watched now. Super GT isn't on YouTube live anymore and I think the MotorTrend app and site stream some WEC races as well now.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

harperdc posted:

Hey it's January! That means it's time for the Dakar Rally to get started this year in beautiful *puts on reading glasses* ...Saudi Arabia? Huh. Well, it's big and sandy and desert, so it's at least okay for the racing.

As well, I'll get started on a new OP for 2020 soon. Any requests or things to add compared with last year?

Why is Marc coma navigating now lol

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Not sure where else to post this. Bob Varsha has cancer: https://racer.com/2020/01/06/veteran-race-commentator-varsha-battling-cancer/

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

aw, gently caress

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

loving hell. I remember him signing off the last time he was broadcasting with something about being gone for a while, and I figured it was health related, but that’s horrible to hear

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

:smith:

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Motortrend on Demand has a special going where it's $12 for the first year of ads-included streaming or $24 for a year of free of ads: https://www.motortrendondemand.com/holiday19

It's "for new subscribers only," but you can just use a different email and it should work. They stream Dakar, WEC, Isle of Man, and a bunch of other stuff for US viewers. You can cancel after signing up (to make sure your sub does not renew at the regular price) and will retain access until your sub expires.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

net work error posted:

I like the op from this thread so the only change really would be where some races can be watched now. Super GT isn't on YouTube live anymore and I think the MotorTrend app and site stream some WEC races as well now.

yeah, I missed on updating the SuperGT status, and also because I'm not in the US I didn't have clear details on things like MotorTrend (in fairness, it's not exactly a straightforward situation). I'll add that and details on IMSA's platform with NBC when I do the update.

gently caress cancer :smith:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

Maybe include this link in the OP?

I found it useful last year.

https://www.motorsport.com/all/schedule/upcoming/

And it would probably ruin the flow of the OP, but having the schedules in the first post at the top above all the misc information would be easier than scrolling down into the second post, but that isn't a big issue at all. I've just found once you read all the OP initially I just skip over all the information to get to the schedules when I'm trying to remember the dates of some of the events.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Dubai 24h is happening right now, little over 20h remains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLqvQRhXKXY

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Code 60 for incredibly heavy rain and lightning. Did not expect that in Dubai.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Red flagged now.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Just turned it on and it's still red flagged. Any word on it being restarted?

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Custard Undies posted:

Just turned it on and it's still red flagged. Any word on it being restarted?

Not for another five hours, apparently.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Don't think they will get this race restarted somehow.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Race officially called off.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CactusWeasle posted:

Code 60 for incredibly heavy rain and lightning. Did not expect that in Dubai.

People don't but it happens. And when it does it REALLY loving rains.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Same thing happened in Saudi Arabia for the Formula E round last season. The roads and tracks just don't have the kind of drainage to deal with the rain when they get it, because it is torrential when it happens.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
New thread when?

Also:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Anyone else going to Daytona?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

drgitlin posted:

Anyone else going to Daytona?

I had tickets but had to sell them because things came up. Still have a lot 4 parking pass if anyone wants it for cheap.

E:
For those that have been to Sebring, what's the shower situation like?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

net work error posted:

Pretty reasonable, actually. Pretty much every bathroom has a couple of showers, plus last year they hauled in extra shower trailers that they parked next to the bathrooms with 4 or 5 showers inside. Never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a shower, I'd say.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

net work error posted:

I had tickets but had to sell them because things came up. Still have a lot 4 parking pass if anyone wants it for cheap.

E:

Last year it rained so hard and for so long you just had to stand outside for a few minutes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’ll refresh the thread this week, sorry.

This is also finally the year I get to WEC at Fuji.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

drgitlin posted:

Last year it rained so hard and for so long you just had to stand outside for a few minutes.

For real, I was out on the pit lane walk and my watch filled up with water.

As others have said the shower situation is surprisingly good, but for the love of god take flip flops in with you because by Saturday the cleaners seem to have lost their battle with the mud, sand and detritus that gets tracked in.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

jammyozzy posted:

For real, I was out on the pit lane walk and my watch filled up with water.

As others have said the shower situation is surprisingly good, but for the love of god take flip flops in with you because by Saturday the cleaners seem to have lost their battle with the mud, sand and detritus that gets tracked in.

Well, that and fungus. Always wear shower shoes.

Hopefully this year isnt a mud pit, but it was still a good time. My liver should be recovered enough now too.

Daytona is fun but so much better on television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://racer.com/2020/01/16/solo-pr1-mathiasen-entry-for-rolex-24/

39 cars for the 24 now. Yikes. Time to let the lower classes back in.