Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Thread title should've been "Dicks Out for Daytona" imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Cygni posted:

Well here it comes, we all knew it was gonna happen, BoP changes after the roar:

https://racer.com/2019/01/16/imsa-releases-rolex-bop-changes/

Wait... no changes?? That track record is falling yall.

Hell loving yeah

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

How come nobody has talked about the plaid livery on the Pfaff Porsche in GTD that looks like my slippers

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Ollie Jarvis is gonna win the Rolex and go to Disneyworld

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

The number of commercials on NBC is just appalling

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

freeranger posted:

But without the ads how will I know I can get my medication! Or testosterone pills!

I just can't get enough of scrub brands like Acura and Ford trying to convince me that a 4100 lb crossover with a CoG up at the windows is just like a sports car!

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I'm a big adult baby and that's why I want my sports car to have the same seating position as my high chair

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I wish I liked Alonso more on a personal level because every time he gets behind the wheel of a decent racecar, I'm reminded of how breathtakingly talented he is and I wish I could bring myself to root more for him

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

hello darkness my old friend

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

my Inception totem is a flaming Mazda prototype, thus I know I am still here, in Reality

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

What a clusterfuck of a race. I feel like I'm watching the 6 Hours of Fuji

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Aaaaaand there's the red flag. That's probably it for the race

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

Also the worst thing about the Mazda prototype program flailing so hard unsuccessfully is that Mazda might wind up losing their taste for supporting grassroots racing efforts, or that John Doonan might just give up and get replaced by someone else who doesn't give a poo poo about racing beyond balancing an accounting sheet, which would lead to a significant paring back of their current motorsports involvement.

I think Doonan's already working with a pared budget imposed upon him by Mazda USA. The cuts to MRTI were clearly made to move those eggs into the Prototype basket. I'm not sure how much more Mazda Motorsports could be cut down without causing them to become extinct as a brand in any racing series that gets actual viewership. Regardless of what that article posits, Mazda can't race only MX-5s and Mazda3 TCR cars in SRO GT America and just the latter in the feeder IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge. It wouldn't justify a Motorsports program in general, and it seems like there are still a lot of people at corporate who feel that racing is integral to the brand they're shepherding.

The problem is that with no coupes bigger than the Miata, they can't go into GTD or GTLM to try to save money. They almost have to be in Prototype now, but they're doing it with a bare minimum of resources because Mazda USA only has so much money and Mazda Japan has always been largely indifferent to US motorsports, especially when they're preoccupied with just keeping their company in the black.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Schlesische posted:

Neither GTLM/GTE/GT2 nor GTD/GT3 make any sense for Mazda. Maybe GT4, amp the Miata up like Spinal Tap and push that poo poo to 11?
They don't really make racing cars, even the Miata is more of a pure sports car that people take on the track due to it's... "forgiving" utter lack of power.

They're in a bit of a bind and with no RX-7-tier replacement seemingly even on the horizon (the RX-Vision got turned into a luxury car iirc) that's just kind of where they are. They're stuck racing the cheapest prototype series they can find (which is DPi if you're a manufacturer) and they have 0 alternative options moving forwards except for cutting and running and ending a rich, storied tradition even if that tradition is mostly based on something that absolutely doesn't deserve it (the 787B) and ignoring dominance that absolutely does (the RX-7s). Even the engine choice for that cheap prototype racing is limited as Mazda only make (inline?) 4 cylinders these days.

If the Furai had gone somewhere, we'd be cooking with gas. But we're not.
We're waiting for the hotplate to turn on, dreaming of what was.
Here's my ridiculous fantasy: Mazda's DPi program should serve as a proving ground for global engine development, the same way the Ford DP briefly existed to develop the 3.5 Ecoboost for the upcoming GT. Continuing to beat the old rotary horse: seriously, is there any more logical an R&D program for a modern rotary than prototype endurance racing? They've already said they're going to use them as EV range extenders in road cars so they're not giving up on them entirely. Get Hiroshima's skunkworks to try to develop a new triple rotor and see if you can work out the lopsided thermal management. Maybe experiment with turbulent jet ignition to try to keep condensed gasoline vapor off the rotor housing walls and get more complete combustion, and then market it as Skyactiv-X because it's similar enough in concept to the SPCCI idea in the road car engines they're working on. Mate it with a hybrid power unit to be in line with the 2022 DPi regs.

Then, after this prototype stops catching fire at every race, you can put a lot of that development and money back into a flagship road car with a rotary hybrid powerplant, the same way Porsche's 919 influenced the 918 Spyder. Not at that cost level, of course, but something similar. Mazda wants to swim upmarket in the US and the Audi R8 showed how a beautiful supercar that draws a line directly to a successful racing heritage, when marketed well, can lead the way. And that car, and any cheaper sports cars derived from it, can eventually be turned into GT3 and GT4 customer cars so they can operate on a smaller, more profitable level of Motorsports in the future, if necessary.

It'll never happen, because it takes way more money than Mazda USA has to spend, development resources that Mazda Japan can't and won't allocate, and risks spending a lot of cash and development efforts on something ultimately irrelevant like the new Acura NSX. But I would like it if it did!

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

That's really cool but there's no way that Ecoboost 3.5 isn't going to live on in a DPi car, though

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I can't understand the collective delusion that would make people try to race crossovers/SUVs around a track. It's like they read all the hack reviews on car blogs and magazines and decided that "The Porsche Macan handles like a sports car!" was, in fact, the literal truth and not a hyperbolic way of saying that modern tires, suspension designs, and safety systems make it possible to take a tight onramp at 50 mph even in a heavily compromised hatchback on stilts

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Peanut President posted:

Utes are just small pickups though?

well poo poo, I saw the preview image and thought the Mitsubishi on the right was an Eclipse Cross. Serves me right for not looking closer

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

WEC testing at Sebring this weekend: Toyota is two seconds faster than the track record from 2013 and three seconds clear of the rest of the LMP1s

Great job again guys, going to be another awesome race for your flagship class

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Super Sebring is a pretty sweet loving deal, if it had happened a few years ago when LMP1 was still an actual class I probably would have found some way to make the trip

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

drgitlin posted:

If anyone has any burning questions for Lena Gade, I should be talking to her tomorrow. Lmk and as long as it’s not stupid or rude I’ll do my best to ask her.

ask her why it seems like Joest teams give their cars old-timey prostitute names, like Juicy Lucy. why not call them something really sweet, like Deathmobile or USS Kick Your rear end

or at least Fireproof Felicia

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

#55 was fastest at the night practice as well, so we can definitely confirm that the Mazdas are still fast AND flammable

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

well the #55 is still in the race, which is something

e: and the #77 rises from the dead! there's no way Mazda CAN'T win this race

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

the lack of cautions, long yellow flag start, and extremely staggered pit strategy has made this a bit of a bore so far

needs a FCY and some rain to bunch everyone back up again

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

OK now things can get good again. The problem with long green runs is that everyone spreads out over time and then the number of positional battles goes down which reduces the likelihood of somebody overcooking a corner or something to bring out a yellow flag, so it just becomes a feedback loop of everyone getting more and more isolated and driving conservatively and keeping the green out

also the Michelins must be great, we've seen very few incidents of cold tire screwups and flats

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

I can't believe they're still running the 77 and haven't closed the garage.

there's no reason not to; it gives practice for the whole team and, had the cautions went the #55's way and gotten it back into contention, it's still plenty fast enough to serve as a tailgunner to protect their hypothetical lead

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

so that got pretty exciting at the end. Grats Whelen Caddy, Derani/Nasr is just an unbelievably nasty driver pairing

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I somehow missed this on The Drive yesterday regarding Mazda and a return to Le Mans: http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/26986/mazda-ceo-team-joest-must-win-imsa-championship-before-thinking-about-le-mans

It's all pretty silly for a team that hasn't quite learned to walk, much less run, but it shows that 1. Mazda is open to going back to Le Mans if the regulations are right, and 2. The CEO of Mazda NA must be seriously committed to endurance racing even with the lack of success so far, which augurs well given that some people openly wonder when they're going to give up trying and leave IMSA

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

For me its more the WTF a Subaru chassis actually works as a RWD. Usually they become twitchy snap oversteer nasty pricks with evil chassis balance when you convert to rear drive only.

Levorg is based on a 5th gen Liberty... do you need to retain much of the stick suspenion in BTCC these days or is it fairly free?

I'm trying to imagine driving a Subaru/Audi with the front driveshafts removed and yeah, that sounds about right

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

IMSA just gave the Acura DPis a considerable weight break and increased boost for Long Beach even though they took pole and tied for second at Sebring qualifying

well ok then

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Wait'll you see the flames Mazda brings to Long Beach today

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

If this had been any other track besides Long Beach (ok, maybe Belle Isle) there's no way Albuquerque would've held out against the two Acuras. What the gently caress was IMSA thinking giving them a huge weight reduction (20 loving kilograms!) and boost increase at the same time, the car itself has been extremely competitive all year aside from its tendency to burn through tires somewhat quickly

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

55 spun on lap 1, 77 was leading till a long pit stop (and I think being held out on track too long before it, got undercut)

I think the 77's final pit stop was normal, but it had lost its pace after coming out for some reason. Jarvis managed to stay steadily ahead of the one JDC-Miller car behind him but constantly lost more and more ground to the top 3. Maybe taking only the left side tires made it really lovely to drive or something

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Alonso noticed the McLaren F1 car is half decent this year and is too busy spending his time standing under Gilles de Ferran's window with a boombox trying to get his seat back

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I hope it snows at Spa

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

It's spring at Mid-Ohio, the air smells like wet leaves and race gas and Mazda is on pole, again, in order to break my heart tomorrow when the Acuras walk away with it

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

They actually peaked with the final Audi R18, which was unjustly hamstrung by the FIA under the diesel EoT regulations to prevent it from dominating everybody else through sheer endurance

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Wow who could've seen this result coming

Now for Belle Isle they'll BoP the Acuras back to sanity finally but also give the Mazdas 15kg for some reason(?!) so they'll be out of contention until at least Mosport

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Personally I would like to know what the hell is wrong with Jon Bomarito this year. He's looked completely washed in every race so far after having a really good 2018

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Cygni posted:

Pruett with a brutal article about the state of WEC, IMSA, ACO, and even appearances by NASCAR and IndyCar. The short of it is that it's a mess at the moment. Manufacturers don't agree on what sort of hybrid system to use, series are waffling back and forth trying to appease everybody, and Ford taking their toys and pouting.

SportsCar racing is hilarious.

https://racer.com/2019/05/28/pruett-fords-gt-decision-a-harsh-reality-check/

The idea of the ACO allying itself with IMSA for Le Mans makes me giggle and salivate like I'm doped up on laughing gas

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

There was no way the 55 was going to be able to run down the 6 and 31 at the end of the race anyway, the Acuras have been stupid fast since Long Beach gave them a huge BoP break and Nasr is pretty clearly the best driver in IMSA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

But one day, one day the Mazda prototype will win one (1) race and on that day I will be buoyed by the glow of their triumph and women will want to talk to me again and my coworkers will stop looking at me with a mixture of revulsion and pity and teenagers will stop repeatedly screaming GAAAAAYYYYY like a malevolent Greek chorus when I buzz by in my RX