Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Formula E threads were kinda dead so I figured we'd talk about it here. I normally made those but idk if it's enough for it's own. They're running at Marrakesh this weekend, 10am Eastern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

CactusWeasle posted:

That FE race :stare:

Watched it on DVR, the Fox coverage was rear end as usual but dang that was a great race.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/core-unveils-historic-nissan-dpi-livery/

Core using the GTP ZX-Turbo livery :getin:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Only thing that Mazda got was some minor aero changes, gently caress yeah.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Isn't 'dinger also driving in the race?

e: yes, in the 86 Acura

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's also *way* too fast/too advanced to work in the GTE class.

In addition, it's got movable aerodynamic surfaces which is banned (outside of very specific instances, like DRS in F1/F2/F3/DTM), and a hybrid system which isn't seen/banned outside of LMP1, F1 or some limited goofy national-homologation stuff like SuperGT's GT300

e: Interestingly enough, for most GT cars (GT4, GT3, GTE) the street equivalents have significantly more engine power than their racing equivalents, with GT3 and GTE especially focusing way more heavily on aerodynamic downforce than straight-line speed. GT racing cars these days are built to a Balance of Performance formula, basically stating that you build a car to conform to our technical regulations (some more stringent than others) and fit within an expected performance window. If you meet that window, the series then balances the cars against each other based on their performance, by doing stuff like tweaking minimum weights, engine intake airflow or boost restrictions, minimum/maximum wing angles, minimum ride heights, and fuel tank capacity.

e2: Ferrari's GT racing car for GT3 and GTE is the 488 GTB. Somewhat uniquely for the class (though I think Aston now does it too), the 488 is built to be easily changeable from GT3 to GTE spec, with a few parts swaps, and a different engine map. They sell a kit to do it. The Aston is a little more involved, and involves aero parts swapped, and an engine swap, but it's an 8 hour job by experienced mechanics, to change the specification back and forth.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 22, 2019

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The dragonspeed car looks great in bare carbon with just the Evel Knievel stripes applied over it

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Jordan Taylor qualified the car

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Of note: NBCSN will have a preview show starting at 1pm

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Watched Formula E quali, should be a pretty exciting race, wehrlein and vandoorne made it to super pole with pretty wicked good laps. Track is pretty nice, T1 reminds me of sebring with the blocky concrete and transition to tarmac.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
This Alonso kid is pretty good

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
55 Mazda is dangerously close to getting on the lead lap with a well-timed caution

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Toyota already ruled that out, WTR found another driver for Sebring

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah Bathurst 12h is one of the few events in Australia that is easily watchable in the US

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Hey Formula E is in Mexico City this Saturday, Here's the schedule, times are EST (GMT-5), track is in CST

US broadcast is on FS2, Quali is taped delayed to end right before the race broadcast starts, or you can watch it when it happens with some creative VPN usage.

Also showing the single support race and quali, the Jaguar I-PACE eTrophy. Should be broadcast openly on Facebook, but I haven't confirmed that.

e:

here's links for the quali and race stream, these have geoblocks, the race moreso than quali. Friday Shakedown, FP1 and FP2 will also be available on the same youtube page.
https://youtu.be/AZARFO6qcGs
https://youtu.be/H8DoXCEGs

e2:

Here's a playlist with all 3 races so far:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiSlrzIEN5WJEbJIdK3jDxcX2ka7qZHH8

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 12, 2019

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/02/15/bykolles-switch-to-gibson-power-for-lmp1-programme.html

ByKolles switch to Gibson power

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
There's racing this weekend!

Blancpain GT World Challenge America is opening their season at COTA, as well as the GT4 America and TC America series
(all of these formerly known as SCCA Pirelli World Challenge)

Grids look pretty healthy for both of the GT sets, 23 for GT3, 32 in the combined grid for GT4 West and GT4 East
All Times EST

Streams should be on youtube, or found at world-challenge.com

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 1, 2019

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
That TC America finish :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYH8jDtdYhs

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I'm surprised that the Jaguar I-Pace hasn't had a rollover yet, that said, they've only raced twice so far.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I'm really afraid The Bend is gonna end up like Utah, where all the corners just kinda run together and it's hard to tell where the cars are on track from TV

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Crash damage is expensive and LRP causes a lot of it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
And it's looking like it will be the first wet race too

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I'm sitting in an RV, 20 minutes away from the track writing this post

:getin:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Eating some lunch up in the north paddock atm

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Timing showed the Larbre car as the last one on track, but not even the RLM guys know

e: RLM thinks it was the 88 Porsche

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Man these headlights are blinding, currently at T3, can't see a thing because of all the headlight spots in my eyes

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Lol Alonso just went off at T3 exit, drove counter-course on the grass back to the apex so he could rejoin safely, probably has some good scratches on the floor after that one.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Crash under SC for the prototype challenge, because of course there is

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Big oof for the Clearwater Ferrari at T7, felt that hit in my chest, driver ok

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
WEC is on Velocity.

Also holy poo poo those Toyotas out of T7 are just insane. The rest of the P1s aren't slouches either, but the Toyotas are just in another league. Super grateful to have seen them in person.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

sportscar365 posted:

***Track limits will no longer be enforced this weekend. Race director Eduardo Freitas initially policed Turn 15 in last weekend’s test sessions, although it was communicated to teams during the drivers’ meeting that no track restrictions will be in place.

Funny how when track limits police themselves due to track design, you don't need to police track limits. :thunk:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

drgitlin posted:

Yay, cloud cover.

So nice. So very nice.

I felt a few drops on and off, but tiny drizzles only

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
That rain escalated quickly. Was at T3, saw the Toyota go onto full wet, was like :wtc:, then the heavens opened

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
loving gently caress

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I've got fast drying clothes, bring the chaos

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
This was a good race to be at, and pop in and out of, watched the start in the rain, watched it go dry and transition to slicks, had a nap and some food in the middle, took a shower, came back out for the last 2 hours.

I'm totally exhausted after 4 days.

That was loving awesome.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Just watched FP1 and FP2 for Formula E, the new Sanya track looks okay-ish, big long back straight followed by a hairpin, should be a decent overtaking spot, and a good spot for energy management games.

I predict quite a few people loving it on the exit of turn 5 in quali, very tight exit

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

orange juche posted:

did mazda go boom boom?

55 spun on lap 1, 77 was leading till a long pit stop (and I think being held out on track too long before it, got undercut)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
In slightly lesser Formula news, I got to help out with a shakedown/mock event for some local Formula SAE teams and dear god they are so awesomely tiny. I wanted to have a rip in one so bad.

Here's the University of Delaware car doing a brake systems check (car must be able to lock up all 4 wheels):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku93DDUBW9w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah same, I was loving exhausted but Super Sebring was loving awesome.