Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

CactusWeasle posted:

That FE race :stare:

This is always a sure sign that I need to watch the replay when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

there is a legit way to follow this year WEC season outside the united states?

also whats the difference between imsa and wec? i know they both race sport cars and prototypes but there isnt like a superseason or something? imsa and wec are two different league/championships?

WEC has a subscription streaming service you can buy through their site. Or you can get it through Eurosport Player I believe.

IMSA is a specifically North American series, the WEC Superseason is because they want Le Mans to be the series closing race, but doing that effectively requires them to have 1.5 seasons to get the schedule right which is what the Superseason is, just 1 and a half WEC seasons mashed together. They are 2 different championships, a decent comparison would be F1 and Indycar, both top level open wheel series' but 2 different championships.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

IMSA themselves have a really good beginnners video that explains the classes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxDkcOkpAs8

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

drgitlin posted:

It does not conform to any rule set therefore there is nowhere to race it.

I also don't think it's a car they sell in numbers and so have no reason to promote it through racing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The only thing I can think of them having a case for is Mattel not honouring the deal to the expiry date but even then you're going up against loving Mattel over a relationship you decided to end. Good luck with that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Addendum to the how to watch rally, Red Bull TV will be doing their daily recaps and also a live stage on each rally.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Pop goes the Mazda.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

He’s fast become your great neon and Velcro whale.

And hey, if you didn’t get enough from last weekend at Daytona, guess what’s coming up this coming weekend? The Bathurst 12 Hour!

And Nissan is streaming it all through the Nismo TV Youtube channel. Practice, qualifying, the shootout, race and all the support categories.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Formula E is doing London again in 2020 at the Excel Center.

An indoor arena.

God bless this series.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The provisional track map looks cool, going to be mostly outdoor around the building sadly but will go inside for a section in one of the exhibition halls because really, why specify Excel as the location if you're not going inside the center itself. One hell of a spicy pit lane as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah SRO has never really been about huge crowd attendance, even at their big events you don't usually see even half full stands.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah SRO is all-in on privateers and at best doesn't care about factory teams and at worst actively dislikes them. They don't give a poo poo if manufacturers are around and GT4 as a class right now is basically their current baby outside the main Blancpain GT Series.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They want to feel like racing superstars basically. If you ever see a Blancpain silver cup podium its the best snapshot of how these guys see themselves I've ever seen. Going full champagne celebration on a badly lit podium flanked by models with no crowd noise. It's immensely sad to watch but the daredevil globetrotting race driver fantasy is what they're after.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

WSR became a BMW factory team in 2017 I believe when Turkington jumped ship from Subaru, he's been in a 'proper' BMW for a while now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

net work error posted:

There's a Subaru in BTCC?

The Levorg, aside from the BMW I think it's the only other RWD car in the series. It's Jason Plato's pet project if memory serves.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you're in the UK all the BTCC races are up on the ITV site. Watching the first race right now and the tire shenanigans are quite funny.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

Yeah, Nissan got so far out of the game they've apparently nuked the NISMO.tv YouTube channel from orbit.

They actually haven't, but it has been scrubbed of all Nissan branding and renamed LET'S GO RACING so presumably the team that were doing it under Nismo are going to keep doing some stuff.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Superb Formula now live here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-jIVHgc7es

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

mactheknife posted:

do they still geo-lock their poo poo on youtube?

If they do it's also on Let's Go Racing, who probably don't.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Let's Go Racing put up a post about Super GT on their Youtube page, basically they had a potential deal agreed but a subscription service came in (I'm assuming Motorsport) before they were able to close and demanded exclusive rights and got it instead. They did also say they have Super Formula for 2020 at least.

Also a dude running for mayor of Paris is complaining about how Formula E cars are too loud and making ending the Paris ePrix part of his campaign.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The greatest potential shitshow of the season, Formula E at Monaco is on in about 50 minutes.

Also Blancpain Endurance is at Silverstone this weekend.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They also stream on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fe_MQhCdOc

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

drat that's fair.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Watching the descent into commentary madness is half the fun of watching 24h races.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's Festival of Speed weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5RuJ1k82zU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's a safety element to it I believe, since cars can dig in to grass and gravel run offs and roll if they hit them at speed (see Alonso's crash in Australia a few years back). The bigger reason though is almost certainly they don't want to risk losing rich track day dudes because they got their car stuck in gravel.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Homestead is a better road course than Indy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So that's 2 track records in 3 years. Dude just owns the track in quali.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Joest admit defeat: "Even we couldn't fix this shitbox."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Macau F3 race is in about 3 hours and is going to be streamed on the F1 Youtube channel.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there was like a weird three year period where rallycross was the future of motorsport because it was short and millennials like short things or something

It wasn't even 3 years, more like 1 year where everyone was all about rallycross. Then it fell off because where the hell do you even watch WRX?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I would laugh a lot if the Saudis paid shitloads to get a FE race and it follows the usual pattern of the first race of the season being shite.

I am prepared once more to get excited about Sam Bird only for him to bottle it mid-season.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 19, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

njsykora posted:

I would laugh a lot if the Saudis paid shitloads to get a FE race and it follows the usual pattern of the first race of the season being shite.

Update: It was. It actually put me to sleep.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

I completely missed the fact the first race was on a Friday afternoon, spoiled it for myself. What a great way to kill momentum for your series.

Anyway, race 1 was meh, good winner. Race two was more entertaining with the usual Formula E fun.

Next race is, 18 January? I think this is because Hong Kong was canned. At least the next race is Chile where nothing of note is happening

Yeah it's the usual way too long gap between opening weekend and 2nd weekend because they insist on starting the season in November. This race was really good for Jack and Dario banter as well, especially Dario going off about drivers not even following the most basic rules like "don't overtake behind the safety car" and "park in the right grid spot". Combine that stuff with the race director calling the safety car in while there was still a crane on the track and yeah this was full Formula E clownshoes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also Long Beach and the inevitable hairpin blockage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think never trusting what you see at the Roar is a solid rule for every team.