Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

harperdc posted:

99% sure the Radio Le Mans crew will still be doing their IMSA Radio coverage this year.

• on radio at the track, on SiriusXM in the US/Canada, and online in all markets
  • paired with the broadcast to form the IMSA TV coverage available outside the US and Canada live

so that's what I'll be watching this coming weekend!

Meanwhile, a preview of Daytona:

https://twitter.com/jordan10taylor/status/1086016200105213952

I am going to interview Rodney this weekend, so if people have burning questions, post them here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

DoctorGonzo posted:

the fxkk or whatever is called is not racing equivalent or something? why the teams dont race that car? it looks cool

It does not conform to any rule set therefore there is nowhere to race it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Yet again I did not get to interview Rodney. Ffs.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
The 919 Hybrid actually influenced the current 911 and 718 way more than the 918 Spyder. The design of the cylinder and head on the 919 V4 shares a LOT with the the flat-4 and flat-6. Meanwhile the 918 Spyder actually owes a lot more to the RS Spyder of the mid-2000s.

And in the real world, the RT24-P uses an AER racing engine that has nothing in common with Skyactiv-X or Skyactiv-G.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

harperdc posted:

the 918 Spyder uses a V8 too, which I wouldn't be shocked to learn is closer to the RS Spyder. the 918 Spyder also came out a year before the 919 racer debuted. For those that don't know: the road car is going to be on the drawing board a whole lot earlier than that (the 919 had concept cars in 2010 and 2011 for reference).

Yep, the 918 engine is based on the RS Spyder’s V8.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Have a couple of pieces up about Daytona, including this interview with Zanardi that people might enjoy: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/02/paralympic-gold-medalist-alex-zanardi-on-how-hes-able-to-race-at-daytona/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

net work error posted:

That M8 really proving that you should never lift.

It’s an M6 GT3, isn’t it? I think the only M8 racecars are the M8 GTEs but maybe I’m wrong.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Cygni posted:

Interesting blurb in the RACER article about the end of the Ford GT program:

https://racer.com/2019/03/01/ford-preparing-for-le-mans-gt-swansong/

Sounds like its more or less a done deal for next year.

I wonder how that’s going to work given Multimatic’s bigger role in the Mazda DPi program.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Crash damage is expensive and LRP causes a lot of it.

Also, you can't race on a Sunday, which means if it's a three-day meeting you need to be there on Thursday, and most WC drivers have day jobs.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
It's hard for some people to understand, but not all racing series cater to spectators as their main customer. Lemons/Chumpcar/WRL/AER's customers are the teams who race in them, not paying spectators. Likewise, SRO's customers are the teams who race in them. People in the stands are a secondary concern.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Shoot that's true even of like IMSA, Blancpain TC/GT3/GT4, Ferrari Challenge, and more pretty high level series with sponsors and stuff, which are a mix of rich people racing leagues and feeder leagues to other series. They may sell tickets but the stands are pretty darn empty.

It’s not really true for IMSA. And SRO *is* Blancpain.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Anyone else here yet? Watching WEC practice from the mound at Turn 7.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Anyone know why it got red flagged?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Ok so that’s not just me then.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Finally got to interview Jordan Taylor. That only took nine months.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Cygni posted:

https://racerdigital.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/03_results_practice-1.pdf

Cadillac, Acura, Cadillac, Nissan in first practice. Mazda 1.5s off the pace for some reason.

Just working on setup, “we weren’t in kill mode yet” was the answer I just got.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
If anyone has any burning questions for Lena Gade, I should be talking to her tomorrow. Lmk and as long as it’s not stupid or rude I’ll do my best to ask her.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

WEC is on Velocity.

Also holy poo poo those Toyotas out of T7 are just insane. The rest of the P1s aren't slouches either, but the Toyotas are just in another league. Super grateful to have seen them in person.

The only thing that’s in the same ballpark is the I.D. R. It’s bonkers how fast the TS050 gathers speed. And so quietly, too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Yay, cloud cover.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I’ll be honest, I got enough rain at Daytona.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

an oddly awful oud posted:

the lack of cautions, long yellow flag start, and extremely staggered pit strategy has made this a bit of a bore so far

needs a FCY and some rain to bunch everyone back up again

Now I’m back indoors, I agree some rain would spice things up.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

freeranger posted:

Besides the WEC App, is there any tv channels showing the Spa 6hr live?

Looks like Eurosport in Australia is only showing an hour or two which I'm assuming is the end of the race.

Is is being shown on Eurosport 2 or another channel anywhere?

Edit: Should have just googled that. Looks like Fox Sports in the US is the best bet for watching it.

Can anyone tell me if the commentators would be the same?

I don’t think Fox Sports will show you poo poo, WEC moved to Velocity or whatever it’s now called at the beginning of the superseason.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

net work error posted:

Went to a rainy Daytona last year, might do Sebring instead next year.

Sebring was just as wet, but at least it was warm(er) when it wasn’t raining.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Dudley posted:

That's all fair.

I think we've reached the point where unrestricted development motor racing is essentially going to be dead, F1 is just about viable but that's it.

And if, as it looks they're going to BoP even the hypercars out the wazoo and we're essentially accepting prototype racing in the traditional sense is dead then maybe super DPi is an option. Because at least it's a lovely BoPed top class that actually functions.

First off, the ACO's hypercar regs are basically dead in the water. Second, unrestricted development in motorsport sounds great but in practice it always follows the same pattern. One OEM wants to win more than anyone else, spends 2-3x the budget, wins everything for a while, then fucks off and whichever series it is goes to poo poo. We all love the idea of different teams each using a completely different approach to answer the question "how do I lap Le Mans faster than everyone else?" but as the WEC shows, when one of those competing solutions proves slightly better than the others, everyone else will abandon their approach and the grid converges on the same solution.

Every motorsports series has to balance the demands of being a sport, being entertainment, and being a venue for automotive technical development. You need to accept that the last of those is almost always the least important to most of the stakeholders.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Dudley posted:

It's based on the LMP2 literally no-one runs anywhere.

Then again, I think at this point it's pretty much only United and people on a serious budget running anything but the Oreca.

By that metric the Cadillac should be poo poo too because no one runs the Dallara in LMP2. It’s not.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Does anyone else just not give a gently caress about Le Mans this year? Even Gareth Jones isn’t going and didn’t seem sad about it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
These rules are complete garbage and I’m sorry, 750hp doesn’t cut it as a “hypercar” when the Corvette C8 Z06 is going to make that much power as a street car.

These things will be slower than current DPi cars, never mind DPi 2.0.

The ACO are such tossers.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

I saw the complaints about the hypercar rules earlier. What would you guys do differently? Gimping LMP2 seems unfair but also I feel like hybrid drive trains should be allowed at all times. Give me LMP1 cars that move like UFOs.

Adopt DPi 2.0 which will be faster than this gimped, heavy “hypercar”.

If they slow down LMP2 that also means slowing down GTE, btw.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

I'm super loving stoked about car #63 doing as well as it is; it's a 6-year old design and the previous years they've had problems with maintaining the highest speeds that the competition could muster, but made up for it by having Rasmussen and Garcia and whichever third driver plus all of the mechanics they've had work as an absolute loving unit of a team.

This year, they're absolutely hammering it at the front of the pack.

Rasmussen? Is he going to stop and ask people who they’re going to vote for at pit stops? ;)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Rasmussen is a very pro-Republican polling organization here in the US.

I assume you know the race car driver is actually called Magnussen ;)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

GTE Pro is now a 6-way race!

Doug Feehan said, in what could be considered a very measured and diplomatic response, that he thought "there was a lack of talent involved", or something to that effect. Mind you, he's the Corvette boss, so it's probably not completely biased, but I'm just an amateur so what do I know.

The mechanics did a good days work, that's for sure.

EDIT: Apparently Christina Nielsen is busy in an American league this year, that's why she isn't driving with Michelle Gatting. Would be fantastic to have those two on a team together!

Christina and Katherine Legge were refused an entry to Le Mans because the French said “no we’ve got one car that’s already all women, don’t need another.” It’s hosed up IMO.

https://racer.com/2019/03/01/le-mans-rejection-stuns-msr-heinricher-team/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

I think this would make a great column :D

I’ve been meaning to write something for ages about it. I think my negativity is because for a few short years LMP1-H was the best thing in the solar system as far as I was concerned, and this is so far from that.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
John Dagys says they changed the wrong tire first: https://twitter.com/johndagys/status/1140238256770048000

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Why is it Ford’s fault? It’s up to each team to put the plastic balls in the fuel tank. Didn’t the Land Audi R8 get told after Daytona last year that they’d been too clever with the fuel tank volume restriction because the way they did it allowed them to fuel faster?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Post-race scrutineering is a thing in every race series from WRL to F1. Don’t want to be disqualified? Make sure you pass.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

God drat, how many hours are left? I can watch this on WEC's site without a VPN right?

This is a VLN race, it’s got nothing to do with WEC. There aren’t any cars that are eligible for VLN that are also able to race in WEC; the top class here is GT3 not GTE.

But you can watch the entire thing on YouTube for free, legally, at the link already posted.

That move by Estre for the lead was bonkers. Two wheels off at one of the very fastest parts of the track, and if you get it wrong there you’re going into the base of the bridge, hard, and then you roll downhill for about a minute.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

FWIW it's not a VLN race either. This is put on by ADAC, the same organization that handles the GT Masters. They are closely coupled by being on the combined nurburgring and relying on the same permitting system and attracting similar entries, but are otherwise separate.

TIL :)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Arcella posted:

How long is a stint? The commentators are referring to drivers doing singles and doubles, I thought the standard stint for Le Mans was 4 hours?

If you change drivers every other pit stop then a stint is 15-16 laps. At Le Mans a stint is around two hours. Actually it’s a bit less if a tank of gas lasts about 50 min.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 23, 2019

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

net work error posted:

It works for me in the US.

Works just fine here too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

isn't that just Le Mans

Now that is called GTE (or GTLM in North America). The new GT2 category will race under SRO (Blancpain etc) and it’s closer to the old GT1 category at Le Mans. Confusing, eh?