Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joosh (Josh Hutcherson), Tiger (Eliza Coupe) and Corey Wolf Hart (Derek Wilson) are back for 13 episodes. All available RIGHT NOW.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meAKAcYGLog

If you're already a fan you're probably all over this poo poo already and if not, why not? The first season was the funniest show of late 2017 and s2 will probably be the funniest show of 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm only up to ep6 but the season is good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 12, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I will never get tired of seeing that fake dick prosthetic on him, it's like 10% of his body weight.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I think most of my time watching season 1 of Futureman was spent trying to decide if Eliza Coupe done up with the weird purple hair was attractive of not.

The answer varies greatly depending on the angle they film her from.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
Boy. Finished episode 6 of season 2 at this point, and this already feels like a casualty of Disney buying Hulu. Not terrible or anything, but just okay.

Maybe it takes a sharp turn toward the retarded/hyper-violent/campy-'80s soon? Like in the next episode or two? Please? I mean, episode 7 of season 1 was when we got the JCC. I'd like more of that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

teamcharlie posted:

Boy. Finished episode 6 of season 2 at this point, and this already feels like a casualty of Disney buying Hulu. Not terrible or anything, but just okay.

Maybe it takes a sharp turn toward the retarded/hyper-violent/campy-'80s soon? Like in the next episode or two? Please? I mean, episode 7 of season 1 was when we got the JCC. I'd like more of that.

Yeah, I felt like they were told to tone things down this season. Also I suspect they fired their fight choreographer, because there are basically no fights now and when they do turn up they're nowhere near as good as they were.

There's stuff I like, but there's a lot that makes me sad.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I dunno, I'm only on ep 5 but I thought it's been really strong so far. Didn't notice the weaker fight scenes but looking back, you're right. I think I haven't cared because the plot's been really engaging and there's been a ton of laugh-out-loud jokes. I think it's been funnier and more consistent than season 1 so far.

It's after 3am and I just got back from a work trip and I have to sleep but I want to keep watching even though I know it's Saturday and I can go to sleep and just watch more tomorrow.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The better god joke in the first ep was not wanting to be called allah

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This whole season was a bit of a let down. Everything just seem reduced somehow, it just feels like a smaller show now.

Funny still, but not what i was expecting.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

This whole season was a bit of a let down. Everything just seem reduced somehow, it just feels like a smaller show now.

Funny still, but not what i was expecting.

Okay now I'm starting to wonder if we're watching the same show. It felt much bigger to me -- the overall impression I had from the first few episodes was that they had a better budget this time around and I thought they were making really good use of it. Less time-hopping so far but I've been impressed with all the future sets they've put together.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh they definitely had a smaller budget this year, (but not a small budget). They're just doing a lot of the tricks you see shows do when they want to make money go further. e.g. cutting the fights, sticking to a set number of locations, bottle episode, dramatic off-screen action. None of these I mind, though I do miss the fights. (A number of these I respect tbh).

I've finished it, and I think it was pretty good. And the finale was them absolutely begging for a new season. (Which is a season I'd really like to see so I hope they get it).

I do love that that the season's basically an extended Elon Musk joke, Eliza Coupe did a lot of really great stuff and there were some pretty funny lines.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I found a needle in a you stack made me laugh way too much.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just watched s1e1 and it was a looong wet fart. Just the worst version of "Hey guys what if The Last Starfighter was a loser" and it just made no sense. Who is the show even supposed to be for? Why should I tough it out?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Easy Diff posted:

Just watched s1e1 and it was a looong wet fart. Just the worst version of "Hey guys what if The Last Starfighter was a loser" and it just made no sense. Who is the show even supposed to be for? Why should I tough it out?

The first episode is the worst by a wide margin, I think they blanked on a better way to lay out the premise. It's a hilarious sci-fi comedy with a surprisingly well-done time travel story and unusually good characters considering how absurd it is. At least give it another episode or two now that the plot's gotten moving.

Wolf is an absolute treasure.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They make fun of the budget stuff in the premier where Tiger and Wolf are describing the new mission and talk about how they have to hunt down 12 bad guys in a new exotic location that they'll be traveling to every week.

Easy Diff posted:

Tiger and Wolf start out really one note but as the episodes go on they start going on deep dives into their personalities. For example, later on in the season Wolf becomes a world class chef who runs an extremely popular restaurant.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Just finished it. A good season, but s1 was still better imo. I think the show was weaker for sticking in the future and not jumping around in time like s1. Might have had their hands forced by a reduced budget though.

Ending stuff:The finale was hilariously dark with the revelation that not only were all their actions useless, but they made things worse. Also killed 85 trillion aliens. Also some of them may have helped Hitler.

I wonder how much of the last few episodes were rewritten. I heard that the actress who played Josh's mom died, but they had filmed her scenes and would use them anyways. I guess they decided against that?

I was totally expecting a callback to the conversation that Tiger and hologram Kronish's mom had where they would fail to stop Stu in the future and go back and kill his mom. Why didn't they go back in time to stop Stu? All they needed was a throwaway line about how the replica TTD couldn't go back that far. But instead the first thing they do with it is have Wolf dump his cluster in the 90s.

Easy Diff posted:

Watch episode 2, one of the stronger episodes in s1. If you still don't like it then move on.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wonder how much of the last few episodes were rewritten. I heard that the actress who played Josh's mom died, but they had filmed her scenes and would use them anyways. I guess they decided against that?

Glenne Headly died during the production of season one, not this season.

Though I do wonder how much of their decision to stay in the future was influenced by a desire to just not go anywhere near her character.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Just finished and I feel the same way towards season 2. The first one was fun because of the crazy poo poo that was happening and you didn't know where it was going. This one had some good jokes and didn't seem to ramp up until the last couple of episodes.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Easy Diff posted:

The pilot is really, really bad. I almost didn't go any further. I did, and am so happy about that choice.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ghostinmyshell posted:

Just finished and I feel the same way towards season 2. The first one was fun because of the crazy poo poo that was happening and you didn't know where it was going. This one had some good jokes and didn't seem to ramp up until the last couple of episodes.

I'm on the third episode of season 2 and so far it's good but not great, though obviously I have a long ways to go in the second season.

IMO a weakness of season 2 is it's set in the future (so far), so we don't have the historical settings to spoof on and reference. Instead it's all a new setting, so it's not familiar to the audience and it's harder to set up jokes.

Like, it's still absurd and campy fun but it's not quite as funny as S1.

edit: the first few episodes have spent a lot of time explaining the future setting, bio-techs, NAG, etc. You don't need to do all that to make jokes about the cocaine-fueled 80s or whatever.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 13, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's almost devoid of the really clever pop culture stuff that made the first season so good.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

It's almost devoid of the really clever pop culture stuff that made the first season so good.

Yeah basically, that's a better way of saying what I tried to.

It was probably a mistake to set in the future (assuming it stays there) since you lose all the pop culture references and historical settings.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Eh. I liked the pilot. But I think Howard Overman absenting the show was for the better.

Rocksicles posted:

I disagree -- like I said before, the entire thing is a riff on Silicon Valley generally and Elon Musk in particular, with some anime girl stuff thrown in -- but it is all the same stripe of pop culture reference. I don't think the writers found enough depth to the material they set up.

Season 1 was equally shallow, but definitely more wide ranging.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Felt this season was a lot weaker than the first, but still had some good bits. I liked the fakeout with Paul Scheer in the first episode, where he explains why they wrote out Awkwafina, who does movies now...and then is never seen again himself.

Episode 12: What was with that quick Otter's Mousetrap scene in the 50s?

Episode 13: Seth Rogen was fun and I hope they spend some time doing Demolition Man / Battle Royale / Hunger Games riffs in a potential season 3.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

IMO a weakness of season 2 is it's set in the future (so far), so we don't have the historical settings to spoof on and reference. Instead it's all a new setting, so it's not familiar to the audience and it's harder to set up jokes.

Yeah, because of this it had a slightly different feel this time around, and it was a little slower-paced so they could brief us on the setting. I finished it last night, though, and I think it was really good overall if a little bit uneven. The cast was split up a bit more than the first season, and the Tiger stuff consistently dragged a little, the Josh stuff was good, and the Wolf stuff was consistently excellent. I feel like it had a ton of really strong, laugh-out-loud jokes, though, which helped get through the occasional lull. I just love the way this show leans into how absurd their future is. Just about anything in the NAG was hilarious.

Ending stuff: And the entire revelation at the end was likewise amazing. You idiots are the most prolific mass-murderers in all of existence, you were never fixing anything! I was hoping for another jump back to present-day, though, I was surprised they dropped the historical stuff entirely for this one. Still made up for it with the time-bending shenanigans in the last episodes, though. That one still makes my brain hurt to think about.

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
This season is better and funnier than the first imo. Anyway I love this show.

I put my bean hole over every inch of my lovers...

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I liked this season! I feel like the storytelling is a lot better than the writing though, a lot of the lines made me cringe, hard.

I did like the opening episodes and the establishment of the world the season deals with, but with that said the second half was far stronger. One of the best payoffs I've seen in television, I think.

That said:

- I love seeing Haley Joel Osment getting work, but his performance was incredibly weak.

- The audio mixing was seriously hosed up.

- I understand why the bottle episode had to be there, but I hated it.

- (Episode 13) The finale felt like episodes 25/26 of the original Evangelion. Sorry for being an old school anime nerd. I thought it was pretty okay if not hackneyed, but I hate hate hate hate HATED the last minute with the Hunger Games Wipeout game show reveal. I think this writing team might be able to pull it off, but I have my doubts.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 14, 2019

Woden
May 6, 2006

Propaganda Machine posted:

- (Episode 13) The finale felt like episodes 25/26 of the original Evangelion. Sorry for being an old school anime nerd. I thought it was pretty okay if not hackneyed, but I hate hate hate hate HATED the last minute with the Hunger Games Wipeout game show reveal. I think this writing team might be able to pull it off, but I have my doubts.

This show is at it's best riffing on 80's movies, I'm sure they could do an awesome Running Man episode.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Propaganda Machine posted:

- The audio mixing was seriously hosed up.

Yeah I thought my TV was messed up or something.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just finished this season, a lot of the Wolf/NAG bits were good [smash code, most of the wheel business] but the whole Mons thing felt flat to me, as well as they revealed too late who the real good guys were since it was painfully obvious the Stu was the big villain.

In addition to the weird audio Tiger's makeup looked off a lot, like you could see where the tan ended at her hairline and it looked there were yellow patches on her face in indoor scenes. It was fun overall but paced strangely.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

qirex posted:

I just finished this season, a lot of the Wolf/NAG bits were good [smash code, most of the wheel business] but the whole Mons thing felt flat to me, as well as they revealed too late who the real good guys were since it was painfully obvious the Stu was the big villain.

In addition to the weird audio Tiger's makeup looked off a lot, like you could see where the tan ended at her hairline and it looked there were yellow patches on her face in indoor scenes. It was fun overall but paced strangely.

Yes! I forgot that. Her skin looked yellow, simply yellow, in tons and tons of scenes.

e: I am, however, a huge fan of a good and satisfying villain switch, and that's part of why I thought the second half was so strong. Our three amigos were properly motivated to dryfuck the pointed circle, and Athena was properly motivated to facepalm over it.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 14, 2019

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

qirex posted:

I noticed this, but I thought maybe I was just being extra sensitive to this sort of thing thanks to someone I read about every day who does a similarly bad job painting himself orange.

Also the Pointed Circle were a bunch of assholes too, remember. They were lying to Josh and were planning to kill him and throw him in the pile of Joshs they'd already killed, which in this universe means they'd probably been up to some other shady poo poo too. It was really a choice between a douche and a turd, and the ideal answer probably would have been to remove the weird little dictator and plug everyone into the Matrix anyway. It was a cool reveal and at that point it made sense for the gang to go with Athena, but there was plenty of justification for them to blow up the Pointed Circle hideout.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 14, 2019

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The third season could really go anywhere. The Time Warriors as extradimensional mega-genociders has been commented on, but we don't really have any reason to trust Susan or anything he says. I mean, they weren't even in prison, they'd been shanghaied into a death race sponsored by a pad company. For all we know that could just be the method he chose to ensure these contestants would work well as a team.

edit: Also, what was up with Kristen Schaal showing up for like five seconds? Was something cut?

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 14, 2019

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Phenotype posted:

I noticed this, but I thought maybe I was just being extra sensitive to this sort of thing thanks to someone I read about every day who does a similarly bad job painting himself orange.

Also the Pointed Circle were a bunch of assholes too, remember. They were lying to Josh and were planning to kill him and throw him in the pile of Joshs they'd already killed, which in this universe means they'd probably been up to some other shady poo poo too. It was really a choice between a douche and a turd, and the ideal answer probably would have been to remove the weird little dictator and plug everyone into the Matrix anyway. It was a cool reveal and at that point it made sense for the gang to go with Athena, but there was plenty of justification for them to blow up the Pointed Circle hideout.

The show is pretty inconsistent in how it deals with the morality of death, though. Sometimes it's heavy and questionable, and sometimes it has all the gravity of a Michael Bay movie. With the pointed circle and the dead Josh pile, Athena figures millions of humans are worth a few dozen dead janitors. Which, I don't know, the morality there is its own debate. Regardless, their plan absolutely requires some dead Joshes, and it's further requires that he be lied to. The subject has to go in willingly, right? And I don't think the willingness to do that necessarily points to "other shady poo poo." They only started attacking Tiger and Wolf because Tiger and Wolf started killing them. Seems reasonable. But the organization only had the one singular purpose, so I can't think of what other bad stuff they would have done. Maybe a few non-Josh bodies, but I [b]can't[/i] imagine they'd have let them pile up into the thousands like Stu did since revulsion at his selfishness and amorality is what motivated Athena and Ty-Anne in the first place.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012

Mameluke posted:

The third season could really go anywhere. The Time Warriors as extradimensional mega-genociders has been commented on, but we don't really have any reason to trust Susan or anything he says. I mean, they weren't even in prison, they'd been shanghaied into a death race sponsored by a pad company. For all we know that could just be the method he chose to ensure these contestants would work well as a team.

edit: Also, what was up with Kristen Schaal showing up for like five seconds? Was something cut?

Considering that Tiger never even gets visibly pregnant (I assume I'm not the only one who caught that from the trailer), it seems like more than just Kristen Schaal got cut.

In theory the third season could go anywhere, but it's probably going to have to at least get out of their Hunger Games parody dead end first before they can do something anywhere near as entertaining as season one. Personally, what I'd really love to see is just an acknowledgement that the Hunger Games universe is stupid and set up to fail with Tiger and Wolf and Josh easily fighting through the Hunger Games game and a random (cheap) bunker to get the TTD back over the course of like one to three episodes, and then those fuckers spend the rest of the season time traveling again, maybe garotting some of those Doctor Who LARPer dipshits for fun. Screw the future, dystopia turned out to be pretty boring compared to gay beach volleyball.

Side note: the second half of season 2 was clearly better than the first half, but I'd maintain that it only ever gets to 'good but not great' as compared to the higher points of season 1. YMMV depending on how heavily invested you are in '80s and '90s culture versus identity politics and tween novels.

teamcharlie fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 15, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wolf prequel series when???

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

teamcharlie posted:

Considering that Tiger never even gets visibly pregnant (I assume I'm not the only one who caught that from the trailer),

I've watched both of the season two trailers, and I couldn't see anything like what you're describing.

Do you remember where in which trailer?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Just saw a billboard for this in downtown LA. We're back, baby! Hell yeah. Can't wait to watch and can't believe it's all available already

Edit: And it's an extended Elon Musk joke? Holy gently caress I need to see this

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 15, 2019

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm not going to read any posts in this thread just yet as I'm still on the back-half of season 1, but I just wanted to say it blows my mind that S1 of this flew under the radar. The writing is so sharp and irreverent, and it constantly keeps me on my toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Three episodes in and... I know the back half is supposed to get better, but I wish I could watch this without the high expectations the first season set up. Whereas when watching S1 there were no expectations at all of the chaos that was unfolding (although it was impossible to deny the rapid machine-gun of jokes that all perfectly hit in S1, many memorable)