Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, on reflection this season was definitely a little weaker than the first, but it's still well worth the watch. The show is best with all three characters together with a challenge in front of them, and they were split up and kinda motionless for more of this season. But if the doctor at the beginning of the third episode didn't crack you up, I don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Season 2 had some good world building but I was really hoping for some morlocks

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

teamcharlie posted:

In theory the third season could go anywhere, but it's probably going to have to at least get out of their Hunger Games parody dead end first before they can do something anywhere near as entertaining as season one. Personally, what I'd really love to see is just an acknowledgement that the Hunger Games universe is stupid and set up to fail with Tiger and Wolf and Josh easily fighting through the Hunger Games game and a random (cheap) bunker to get the TTD back over the course of like one to three episodes, and then those fuckers spend the rest of the season time traveling again, maybe garotting some of those Doctor Who LARPer dipshits for fun. Screw the future, dystopia turned out to be pretty boring compared to gay beach volleyball.

The more I think about it the less I hate it even if I'm not sure that I like it. I'd imagine they make it through the comically absurd obstacle course in the first episode or two, eps 2-3 are the bizarre 4th millennium overlords/CEOs going "what do we do with these assholes now?" with the rest of the season devoted to the three amigos escaping/getting released, dealing with their new 4th millennium dystopia, figuring out a TTD solution because this society obviously has one, etc.

I have to imagine that this direction is partly/mostly so that they can abuse green screens.
Could be fun, though.

precision posted:

Wolf prequel series when???

Yesterday, preferably~

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not sure how anyone could watch episode 4 and think season 2 was weaker.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

More jokes, more locations, more cast, more action, more story, more time travel.

It's ok, but it's not the same.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Rocksicles posted:

More jokes, more locations, more cast, more action, more story, more time travel.

It's ok, but it's not the same.

This season sees them traveling to 12 different locations, each one more exotic than the last.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

muscles like this! posted:

It's not weaker, they definitely upped the universe building and stuck to the characterization established in the first season, but its like they decided to ONLY tread new ground and not even mention things from the first season. Like when Tiger sort of bends over at Wolf in one of the final few episodes it took me a second to remember 'ohh yeah, the "charge up" thing they do' because they just didn't really touch on that this season. And that was one of the very first WTF moments in season 1. There was a small James Cameron reference but there really was something strange about the first season being sooooo centered around a real life director, and having to go to his mansion and everything. Super weird in a way that this season just wasn't.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m 6 eps in and honestly just bored. Definitely preferred the time travel to a different place thing

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm just glad Haley Joel osment is getting some work

He was great in both of these seasons and we need more full grown overweight child actors

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Are you joking? He was awful. He looked like a kid following the bad direction of a middle school drama teacher.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Weird did they base the character off of you or something

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The character is fine. Conflicted. Controversial.

The acting however was terribad.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It's not gonna be a popular opinion but I'm gonna warn the readers that no, not everyone is having a good experience with this season 2. In my view, it's not even Future Man anymore - sure they can reuse five of the actors and their costumes and the name of the show but that does not make it the same show, in a larger sense, and the near lack of references or connections to anything in season 1 just makes it more obvious than it would have been, but isn't the main problem. The humor has changed. Whoever was working during S1 to give the show its unexpected charm and magic, is no longer around. I dunno if it was due to the company changing ownership but probably.

I'm six episodes in to S2 and this is still my impression, and before you say it gets better, I should not have to stick around for almost half the new season just to wait for a better impression -- the first season did not make us wait like that after all. The laugh out loud moments of S1 were non stop and had a groundbreaking originality to them. I only laughed out loud a few times in all of S2 so far and those moments didn't feel like they were changing the paradigm of TV, they just felt normal. The rest has just been cringe. Actors with no lines just running circles in scenes. Lazy, bad lines from the writers like "water...plant?" and "murder fight! murder fight!".

So if you're still deciding, count one vote ITT for "no, maybe don't put your faith in S2 or watch it, leave your memory of this great show as it was after S1" and those are my reasons why. Most of this thread will be by and for the show's continuing fans. But it's also important for that to not be a reason to hold in a negative review for the folks still deciding which season of something to watch next, as much as I don't want to go against the thread.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Whoever was working during S1 to give the show its unexpected charm and magic, is no longer around.

That would be Howard Overman.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flatscan posted:

Well, that makes sense. Case closed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Flatscan posted:

He didn't work on the show past the pilot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else annoyed by how the episode descriptions for the last two episodes are weirdly spoilery? Episode 12 straight up says they get the TTD back which is supposed to be a surprise in the episode.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I didn't actually see any of those. Just clicked 'Next.'

That's....that's some very poor planning on their part. Sorry, bro :(

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
*gag gag gag gag gag*

EX-CUSE YOU!!

Count me in the "not as good as season 1 but loved it anyway" camp

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It's not gonna be a popular opinion but I'm gonna warn the readers that no, not everyone is having a good experience with this season 2. In my view, it's not even Future Man anymore - sure they can reuse five of the actors and their costumes and the name of the show but that does not make it the same show, in a larger sense, and the near lack of references or connections to anything in season 1 just makes it more obvious than it would have been, but isn't the main problem. The humor has changed. Whoever was working during S1 to give the show its unexpected charm and magic, is no longer around. I dunno if it was due to the company changing ownership but probably.

I'm six episodes in to S2 and this is still my impression, and before you say it gets better, I should not have to stick around for almost half the new season just to wait for a better impression -- the first season did not make us wait like that after all. The laugh out loud moments of S1 were non stop and had a groundbreaking originality to them. I only laughed out loud a few times in all of S2 so far and those moments didn't feel like they were changing the paradigm of TV, they just felt normal. The rest has just been cringe. Actors with no lines just running circles in scenes. Lazy, bad lines from the writers like "water...plant?" and "murder fight! murder fight!".

So if you're still deciding, count one vote ITT for "no, maybe don't put your faith in S2 or watch it, leave your memory of this great show as it was after S1" and those are my reasons why. Most of this thread will be by and for the show's continuing fans. But it's also important for that to not be a reason to hold in a negative review for the folks still deciding which season of something to watch next, as much as I don't want to go against the thread.

That's definitely fair. I loved season one and eventually enjoyed season 2 up until the end, but after season one I felt I could rewatch from episode 1 and enjoy it immediately whereas with season 2 I'm thinking "... but I'd have to watch the first few episodes again". I guess I could skip 'em, but somehow that seems wrong, so I just haven't rewatched season 2 yet.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Don't worry everyone, this season was extremely my thing and I will enjoy it enough to make up for everyone else.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/9FiOjbU.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/37hXhGs.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/UTNw6Gb.gifv

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Feeling the same sentiment about this season, but I've reached episode 10 and it's turned around!

There's some glaring issues in the writing this time around, for sure. Dragging a one-note joke (like the children singing during the sowing night) into the following episode, for example.

I wish shows like this would stop adding faux-emotional goodbye scenes and long winded speeches. One-liners and a quick pace is what would make it worth a second viewing.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The pilot is really, really bad. I almost didn't go any further. I did, and am so happy about that choice.
Me too, except I was OK with the pilot, but it episode 2. Right at the start, there’s what’s supposed to be a local news report from 1969 on a tv, and it’s being done in a late 1980s style. Anachronisms are my pet peeve with time travel/period shows. I peaced out at that poo poo.

A few days later I came back, though, and it really is a great show. Except for the Shawshank reference (film released in late 1994, 18 months after Wolf leaves the 90s :supaburn: ), the show is pretty good about staying reasonably accurate

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
The final episode makes me retroactively hate everything Seth Rogan has ever done. It's like a spell has been broken and I will never laugh at his work again.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

SpaceAceJase posted:

The final episode makes me retroactively hate everything Seth Rogan has ever done. It's like a spell has been broken and I will never laugh at his work again.

Yikes, so much for it turning around huh

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Phenotype posted:

I noticed this, but I thought maybe I was just being extra sensitive to this sort of thing thanks to someone I read about every day who does a similarly bad job painting himself orange.

Also the Pointed Circle were a bunch of assholes too, remember. They were lying to Josh and were planning to kill him and throw him in the pile of Joshs they'd already killed, which in this universe means they'd probably been up to some other shady poo poo too. It was really a choice between a douche and a turd, and the ideal answer probably would have been to remove the weird little dictator and plug everyone into the Matrix anyway. It was a cool reveal and at that point it made sense for the gang to go with Athena, but there was plenty of justification for them to blow up the Pointed Circle hideout.

Later on they establish that the doctor lady made Alt-Tiger watch the evil that Haley Joel did and it was the exact same thing they're doing with the Joshi. Putting them, one by one, into a machine to kill them. JUST like the first season: there were no "good guys". In the first season Wolf and Tiger are literally being hunted down as terrorists because they kill people and blow up poo poo. Their future is a utopia for everyone but the backwards Luddites who reject the technology...just like the second season. Wolf was declaring Global Warming a laughable hoax. Maaaaybe he shouldn't be the go to guy for how humanity should advance?

Propaganda Machine posted:

Yes! I forgot that. Her skin looked yellow, simply yellow, in tons and tons of scenes.
Yes! WHY? Looked INSANE.

Edit: I disagree and think HJO was actually really drat good. I'd like to see him in more stuff.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

InsertPotPun posted:

Later on they establish that the doctor lady made Alt-Tiger watch the evil that Haley Joel did and it was the exact same thing they're doing with the Joshi. Putting them, one by one, into a machine to kill them. JUST like the first season: there were no "good guys". In the first season Wolf and Tiger are literally being hunted down as terrorists because they kill people and blow up poo poo. Their future is a utopia for everyone but the backwards Luddites who reject the technology...just like the second season. Wolf was declaring Global Warming a laughable hoax. Maaaaybe he shouldn't be the go to guy for how humanity should advance?

Well, yeah. I wasn't saying that in defense of Haley Joel Osment and his people, they were obviously bad guys too. I'm just saying that Wolf and Tiger were perfectly justified in blowing up the Pointed Circle. (And our characters have never been anything besides poorly-educated, violent hotheads.) It just so happened that their goals aligned with that particular bunch of jerks for the last couple episodes. And like I said, the ideal solution (that they're too hotheaded and poorly-educated to figure out) is probably to just kill HJO and his faction and plug everyone into the Matrix, since the earth is dying anyway.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 9, 2019

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

InsertPotPun posted:

Yes! WHY? Looked INSANE.

Edit: I disagree and think HJO was actually really drat good. I'd like to see him in more stuff.

I mean They needed him to save all of humanity, I don't think willing to sacrifice one man to safe mankind quite makes you evil

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

I mean They needed him to save all of humanity, I don't think willing to sacrifice one man to safe mankind quite makes you evil

I mean sure, you can definitely make the case that it's worth sacrificing Josh to save mankind. But the way Athena and the Pointed Circle were portrayed, they were just another bunch of ends-justify-the-means immoral jerks. They could have been written as a group of starry-eyed freedom fighters, but that's not what was filmed. Athena in particular was shown as very ruthless and cold, and I can't imagine she was very tormented about the decision to kill all the Joshes. And I can't imagine the Pointed Circle as shown was very concerned with civilian casualties while they were gathering intel and stealing the stuff they needed to hack into the Matrix, either. I'm just saying that, if I was Wolf, I wouldn't be at all embarrassed about blowing up their hideout. They're not "good" people.

Are we spoiling stuff still? It's been way more than a week.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I appreciate that Pointed Circle wasn't all fluffy lovey good-guys-all-along, I think the moral ambiguity is one of the strongest things this show has to offer, like killing the nice herpes man in season 1.

I think one of the other strong aspects is simply how inept Josh is at everything except for violent video games and self-aggrandizement. Being an idiot is literally one of the defining aspects of his character. It's a brave choice not to make any of your heroes into perfect superpeople. So, there are two justifications, here:

1) What else is this guy doing with his life? Even if he wasn't stuck in prison for an admittedly extreme act of terrorism, he was a janitor who lived at home with his parents, alternately playing vidya and jerking it when he wasn't at work. Beyond time travelling shenanigans, his life was already forfeit.

2) The sacrifice of the room of Joshes was in service of the larger goal of preventing literally all of humanity, spanning continents, from being tricked into incinerating itself into the virtual existence of Stu's magical neural futuregoo slavery. Criticizing them for this action is like criticizing the States for D-Day (and that general was willing to take the fall had things gone poorly, just as Achilles's nursemaid "happily" took the brain cyanide when things went south).

Agreed that spoilers are kind of dumb at this point.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

socialsecurity posted:

It's explain that when they change something they create an alternate timeline, not change theirs so, technically, each Josh is a separate entity from a separate timeline. I doubt you'd be ok with getting a spike in the back of your skull just because you have a twin anyway.

And save humanity from what? Earth is dying, puppies have gone extinct. Yeah, they "save" humanity from H. Jo's "evil plan" to preserve humanity in the only possible way but then what? Humanity slowly suffocates and goes extinct.
The Pointed Circle weren't the good guys. H. Jo was. Who do you think created the giant beans the cavemen live off of? It's literally the only food source. Yeah, he killed all those people, but it will preserve the entire rest of humanity. Yeah he has "control" but I wouldn't trust most humans I know to run a can opener without needing stitches after. Christ, it's just like the Matrix (the robots were the good guys in that movie): You give too many people any tiny amount of control over reality itself and the first thing they'll do is post videos on Youtube about how to cheat the world's source code. Crash the whole system and wipe out humanity forever.

gently caress, in the first season Kronish was the good guy! He invented a universal cure for all illness! And time travel! And laser weapons! Tiger and Wolf are just extreme anti-vaccers. This whole series is delightfully following our scrappy protagonists on their quest to destroy humanity.

And they succeeded too! This future where global warming is killing Earth is a direct result of killing Kronish. THIS was their goal the entire first season. Where they came from originally had no global warming. Yeah THEY slept in sewers and THEY ate rat and THEY didn't understand sex, but everyone else was eternally beautiful with no worry of disease or illness! Tiger has been one of the "evil monsters" this whole loving time so we KNOW future humanity aren't mindless zombies or monsters. Wolf is a violently anti-social cokehead who made it very far in Hollywood in the 80's. What about him screams "good guy" to you?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

InsertPotPun posted:

It's explain that when they change something they create an alternate timeline, not change theirs so, technically, each Josh is a separate entity from a separate timeline. I doubt you'd be ok with getting a spike in the back of your skull just because you have a twin anyway.

And save humanity from what? Earth is dying, puppies have gone extinct. Yeah, they "save" humanity from H. Jo's "evil plan" to preserve humanity in the only possible way but then what? Humanity slowly suffocates and goes extinct.
The Pointed Circle weren't the good guys. H. Jo was. Who do you think created the giant beans the cavemen live off of? It's literally the only food source. Yeah, he killed all those people, but it will preserve the entire rest of humanity. Yeah he has "control" but I wouldn't trust most humans I know to run a can opener without needing stitches after. Christ, it's just like the Matrix (the robots were the good guys in that movie): You give too many people any tiny amount of control over reality itself and the first thing they'll do is post videos on Youtube about how to cheat the world's source code. Crash the whole system and wipe out humanity forever.

gently caress, in the first season Kronish was the good guy! He invented a universal cure for all illness! And time travel! And laser weapons! Tiger and Wolf are just extreme anti-vaccers. This whole series is delightfully following our scrappy protagonists on their quest to destroy humanity.

And they succeeded too! This future where global warming is killing Earth is a direct result of killing Kronish. THIS was their goal the entire first season. Where they came from originally had no global warming. Yeah THEY slept in sewers and THEY ate rat and THEY didn't understand sex, but everyone else was eternally beautiful with no worry of disease or illness! Tiger has been one of the "evil monsters" this whole loving time so we KNOW future humanity aren't mindless zombies or monsters. Wolf is a violently anti-social cokehead who made it very far in Hollywood in the 80's. What about him screams "good guy" to you?

Stu wanted to create a world he was god of and populate it with people he could eternally control or torment at whim, then justified it by saying he's saving people. You literally bought the villain's propaganda. He's a sociopath who doesn't understand people and gets angry when they don't act in the ways he wants.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Should've gone back in time to kill baby Kronish Stu :colbert:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

He also overcame his fear of Josh by deleting his humanity from his code, so not the ideal all powerful god to rule over humanity forever.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Agreed. I'm 5 episodes into season 2 and it's just not that good.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

FactsAreUseless posted:

Stu wanted to create a world he was god of and populate it with people he could eternally control or torment at whim, then justified it by saying he's saving people. You literally bought the villain's propaganda. He's a sociopath who doesn't understand people and gets angry when they don't act in the ways he wants.
And yet he's BEEN ruling them peacefully for 400 years? He has total control NOW. He's literally the last source of anything on the entire world.

Stu was just fine until the three showed up.
One of them exacerbated the animosity between the tribes that led directly to the final battle. And I'll remind you that Stu REPEATEDLY helped the anti-vaxers and offered them free room in MARS.

One of them used him as a tool and faked feelings to manipulate him. HE thought it was going too far to spy on everyone and had NEVER even looked to see if there were dead spots in his camera system. He, at Tiger's request, found those dead spots in minutes. One of the people in that scene was extremely reluctant to spy on even the people trying to destroy him. And it wasn't Tiger.

One of them purposefully instigated him, knowing his extreme fear. Josh's entire job was to provoke him into giving up his humanity.
The whole thing about how evil he is ONLY came about because of his fear of the person that destroyed his job, the boss he looked up to (in that timeline) an entire building full of people. Josh is his Bin Laden and the only reason he deletes his humanity and threatens to be evil is because he showed up. And they counted on that.

It's been 400 years since he had a body, so 400 years since the crime they want to destroy him for (and a crime the people opposing him also did, for far less noble goals: H. Jo was trying to save humanity, the Circle just don't like technology).

H. Jo was happy and healthy in his weird little world, none of the people were scared of him, he even was still honoring the results of a 20 year old radio contest even though it annoyed him. Which is something he honors KNOWING he'll need to put up with for all eternity, but is still doing it anyway. One of our "heroes" once beat James Cameron to death with the script for Terminator 2.

And again: the only reason Stu needs to do any of this in the first place is because the three heroes destroyed humanity.

What you're doing is rooting for Walter White because his name is first on the cast list.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

InsertPotPun posted:

And yet he's BEEN ruling them peacefully for 400 years? He has total control NOW. He's literally the last source of anything on the entire world.

One of them exacerbated the animosity between the tribes that led directly to the final battle. And I'll remind you that Stu REPEATEDLY helped the anti-vaxers and offered them free room in MARS.

One of them used him as a tool and faked feelings to manipulate him. HE thought it was going too far to spy on everyone and had NEVER even looked to see if there were dead spots in his camera system. He, at Tiger's request, found those dead spots in minutes. One of the people in that scene was extremely reluctant to spy on even the people trying to destroy him. And it wasn't Tiger.

One of them purposefully instigated him, knowing his extreme fear. Josh's entire job was to provoke him into giving up his humanity.
The whole thing about how evil he is ONLY came about because of his fear of the person that destroyed his job, the boss he looked up to (in that timeline) an entire building full of people. Josh is his Bin Laden and the only reason he deletes his humanity and threatens to be evil is because he showed up. And they counted on that.

It's been 400 years since he had a body, so 400 years since the crime they want to destroy him for (and a crime the people opposing him also did, for far less noble goals: H. Jo was trying to save humanity, the Circle just don't like technology).

H. Jo was happy and healthy in his weird little world, none of the people were scared of him, he even was still honoring the results of a 20 year old radio contest even though it annoyed him. Which is something he honors KNOWING he'll need to put up with for all eternity, but is still doing it anyway. One of our "heroes" once beat James Cameron to death with the script for Terminator 2.

And again: the only reason Stu needs to do any of this in the first place is because the three heroes destroyed humanity.

What you're doing is rooting for Walter White because his name is first on the cast list.
I've never seen anyone so wrong about a piece of media.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

InsertPotPun posted:

The gently caress is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I forget the how and why of Stu's dickishness towards Josh in S1. Anybody else have a better memory of it?

Regardless, it points to Stu actually being a dick, and having always been a dick, with or without "humanity" in his code.