Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rarity posted:

The gently caress is this?
Fascist apologia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

I forget the how and why of Stu's dickishness towards Josh in S1. Anybody else have a better memory of it?

Regardless, it points to Stu actually being a dick, and having always been a dick, with or without "humanity" in his code.
He was just a generally lovely abusive boss until he lost his position, at which point he was an insecure loser. Stu isn't entirely unsympathetic - there's a reason Tiger falls for him initially - but he's proof perfect of why it's a bad idea to give a single person literally limitless, unending power.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Sorry, wait a minute, you've seen the last episode right? They've killed entire civilizations. Trillions of people.

But no. You keep calling the people that gave Hitler a time machine the good guys.

That won't bite you in the rear end if you run for office.

"No seriously," says local candidate, "it's a good thing."

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

InsertPotPun posted:

Sorry, wait a minute, you've seen the last episode right? They've killed entire civilizations. Trillions of people.

But no. You keep calling the people that gave Hitler a time machine the good guys.

The only person to use the phrase good guys was you when trying to support the man who wishes to trick all of humanity into a Matrix situation where he can torture people and they are his at his every whim.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

InsertPotPun posted:

So you're taking the manipulative shyster TV host at his word, too?

Huh.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

socialsecurity posted:

The only person to use the phrase good guys was you when trying to support the man who wishes to trick all of humanity into a Matrix situation where he can torture people and they are his at his every whim.
Ok. We'll go with your solution: the entire human race will slowly starve to death and go extinct forever, just like puppies, because you don't get to be in charge :(

Again: the robots in The Matrix are the good guys. The human race destroyed their access to the sun, the choices are go extinct forever or get put in the Matrix. Take your bullshit "evil robot" propaganda elsewhere skinjob: "using humans as batteries" is the biggest pile of bullshit. We KNOW that doesn't, couldn't, work and you still believe it's what they were doing?
No: the choice was "let all of humanity go extinct forever" or "preserve them in the best way possible".
Unless you think there's a third option?

Also "torture people forever" is bunk. He wanted to torture his personal demon, one person, the guy who DID DESTROY THE FUTURE. He literally caused the future they are in: a dying world, 100 years of non stop war. Billions dead. Your "heroes" DIRECTLY caused this.

But god forbid he be harmed :(

We saw the robots, ready and waiting, the only reason the war has lasted 100 years is because Stu DIDN'T release those robots until he was tricked into doing so by your heavenly angel good guys that stole a time machine and changed the future. Just kind of making it up as they go. They killed an innocent police officer for no reason in, like, the second episode!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

So you're taking the manipulative shyster TV host at his word, too?

Huh.
So you're taking a manipulative shyster Hollywood producer (and TV host!!!) celebrity time traveling maniac who doesn't believe in global warming and eliminated Terminator 2 from history as the hero?

Huh.

They're the bad guys. Get over it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
H Jo alluded to being a dick to people once they got uploaded before he took the humanity out of his programming or whatever

He was always gonna torture those people in exchange for "saving" them

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

InsertPotPun posted:

So you're taking a manipulative shyster Hollywood producer (and TV host!!!) celebrity time traveling maniac who doesn't believe in global warming and eliminated Terminator 2 from history as the hero?

Lol no. I never stated my position, just pointed out how worked up you're getting over someone buying a character's POV while blind to the fact that you're doing it yourself. Get over yourself lmao

e: jesus christ it took me way too long to realize why everyone was calling Stu--Haley Joel Osment's character--H Jo :doh:

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 11, 2019

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

moist turtleneck posted:

H Jo alluded to being a dick to people once they got uploaded before he took the humanity out of his programming or whatever

He was always gonna torture those people in exchange for "saving" them
He talked about torturing Bin Lade-sorry "Joosh*" and that's it. AND he had to remove his humanity to feel comfortable doing that AND he only did that in response to Josh showing up. If the three world destroyers had arrived a year later all of humanity would be safe inside their little world or dead from starvation and they wouldn't have had to destroy that world TOO. H Jo wasn't even looking for the group trying to destroy him.

*so "Josh" turns into a giant douche with just a little bit of money eh? Cool. Good guy.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Normal guy. People who get massive and sudden wealth for no good reason tend to turn rear end in a top hat when one of the most normal and natural limits to bad behavior is removed without their having busted rear end for it. Look at Justin Bieber, or the Paul brothers of YouTube fame.

The whole point of Josh/Joosh is that he is fundamentally ordinary and unexceptional.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sure after he dances with Tiger in VR world he says that people will not be able to do whatever they want and that he would control how much they could do

This is before he finds out joosh is in this world

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm also pretty sure he stops calling her by her name and starts exclusively calling her My Girlfriend around the same time

He is and always had been a piece of poo poo the whole time lol

He just convinces himself he's the good guy because he badly wants to play the savior, just like Elon

Also lol if anyone thinks he wouldn't eventually dump his humanity and go full Master Computer AM on his simulation in a theoretical joosh-free timeline

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm also pretty sure he stops calling her by her name and starts exclusively calling her My Girlfriend around the same time

He is and always had been a piece of poo poo the whole time lol

He just convinces himself he's the good guy because he badly wants to play the savior, just like Elon

Also lol if anyone thinks he wouldn't eventually dump his humanity and go full Master Computer AM on his simulation in a theoretical joosh-free timeline
I don't even think he's outright evil, he's just an insecure guy who doesn't understand people. If he weren't in a position of power it wouldn't be a problem, but now he's been given absolute power - including the ability to edit his own thoughts and feelings.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm pretty sure after he dances with Tiger in VR world he says that people will not be able to do whatever they want and that he would control how much they could do

Well...yeah. Have you ever worked in IT? Do you seriously want the average person to have total control over your reality? With the caveat that they might accidentally delete it, and you, forever because they want to make a Youtube video of what happens when you spawn 80 million barrels of dynamite into the world? Or they read online that deleting "bowelcontrol.exe" for the entire human race makes the simulation go faster?

You're seriously advocating giving the average dupe complete control over reality itself?
Think of the dumbest person you've ever met.
Now do you really want that person in complete control over whether you exist or not?
QVC is still on the air for Christ's sake.

But yeah, let's pretend that a more sustainable reality than the guy who, for 400 years, has single handedly kept humanity going remaining in charge.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

moist turtleneck posted:

I...don't think so? She defects during the launch after reacting in horror to the revelation that the other people in MARS won't get to use it the same way she did. That's when Stu tells her that she gets/got to because he loves her, but gently caress the rest of those people, they get to have what he feels like giving them.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

InsertPotPun posted:

Well...yeah. Have you ever worked in IT? Do you seriously want the average person to have total control over your reality? With the caveat that they might accidentally delete it, and you, forever because they want to make a Youtube video of what happens when you spawn 80 million barrels of dynamite into the world? Or they read online that deleting "bowelcontrol.exe" for the entire human race makes the simulation go faster?

You're seriously advocating giving the average dupe complete control over reality itself?
Think of the dumbest person you've ever met.
Now do you really want that person in complete control over whether you exist or not?
QVC is still on the air for Christ's sake.

But yeah, let's pretend that a more sustainable reality than the guy who, for 400 years, has single handedly kept humanity going remaining in charge.

lol have you worked in IT? Give everyone their own reality in their own walled garden, which is what you do if that's an actual concern.

lol just lol at acting like sandbox environments aren't a thing.

Stu fuckin sucked and was evil as hell I dunno why you're trying to pull an SMG

InsertPotPun: there should, be like, one giant server to control everything!! that's how IT works!!

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 12, 2019

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

moist turtleneck posted:

:ssh: it's because he identifies with Stu

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
InsertPotPun you know you’re kinda arguing for dictatorships a lot right

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Let's start a list of evil poo poo Stu did before meeting joosh in the year whatever:

Lying to and killing thousands of people so that he could eventually find a way to be immortal
Raised his daughter/girlfriend with no human interaction until she was basically feral
Lied to people about MARS so that he could continue his God complex

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

moist turtleneck posted:

Lying to and killing thousands of people so that he could eventually find a way to be immortal
Oh yeah! lol somehow I totally forgot about the entire montage of him killing god knows how many unwilling participants just to develop his stupid little garden of eden where he gets to play Old Testament Yahweh

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't even think he's outright evil,
yeah nah

He's quite evil, just in a very banal and human way. Until the last couple episodes, when he goes full literal inhumanly evil.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Escobarbarian posted:

InsertPotPun you know you’re kinda arguing for dictatorships a lot right
...OOOOR I'm talking about a silly TV show because I'm bored at work.

I'll make you a deal: you don't get to start calling me an evil Nazi bootlicker until it involves real life ok? Jesus christ.

moist turtleneck posted:

Let's start a list of evil poo poo Stu did before meeting joosh in the year whatever:

Raised his daughter/girlfriend with no human interaction until she was basically feral
Lied to people about MARS so that he could continue his God complex
Cool.
1: the Pointed Circle killed the same amount of people. Doing the same thing. And learned...TADA: the exact same lesson Stu learned, people have to enter willingly to survive. Something Stu literally says out loud to the camera in a video we KNOW they have.
And while Stu was doing it to preserve humanity, they were doing it because global warming is a hoax.
2: tha's hosed up. BUT*
3: people have to enter MARS willingly. Telling them endangers them and there's really no reason to do that. MARS works on basically the same principle as the teleporter from Star Trek: your body is destroyed and your conscientiousness is moved.
Earth. Is. Dying. Stu says he actually tried to build a ship to Mars but it was impossible with the state the world is in.

Your choice is A: live in MARS with H Jo, your 400+ year benevolent ruler, B: die.

AND 4: *this is still all our "heroes'" fault. All of it. H Jo wouldn't be obsessed if Tiger hadn't used him, and, oh yeah: the Earth WOULDN'T BE DYING.
No one seems to ever address this so I'll ask outright: what's the other solution?

I'm gonna guess "magic"

moist turtleneck posted:

lol have you worked in IT? Give everyone their own reality in their own walled garden, which is what you do if that's an actual concern.
lol just lol at acting like sandbox environments aren't a thing.
InsertPotPun: there should, be like, one giant server to control everything!! that's how IT works!!
YUP: "Magic".

Since we can make assumptions on the tech it's pretty obvious that Stu should have just used...nano bots that...are made of unstable molecules and...hard light to...just clean up the world and make it livable again! Gee, see how evil is this guy for not doing a thing I can only assume he can do?

As long as "random assumptions" hold water in the world: assume the future TV host is telling the truth, and we can because why would he capture them and put them on display if they hadn't? Why would they capture three random terrorists, one of whom is totally worthless, unless they literally killed trillions of sentient beings? I say he's far more likely to be honest to the audience than the three characters that we've seen lie repeatedly to get their way.

You're condemning H Jo for his experiments to save humanity by LOVING the three main characters who we have seen literally kill innocent people out of boredom or straight stupidity?

I'd say you're buying into the anti-science propaganda. The other people from the future seem happy and healthy, integrating seamlessly into modern society.

Until your three best friends LITERALLY DESTROY THE EARTH.

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 12, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

InsertPotPun posted:

Your choice is A: live in MARS with H Jo, your 400+ year benevolent ruler, B: die.

Cool. Tell people this and let them decide for themselves instead of lying to their faces so you can continue to play god and rule over everyone. Or have a hissy fit when people refuse to go to MARS and unleash the killbots to wipe all of humanity. Either way.

You should watch episode 11 again if you think Stu isn't evil because jfc he is definitely evil.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

He finally succeeded in uploading a consciousness, some girl, remember? And you can hear her over the speaker, she's wondering where she is, what's going on, and Stu's like "Yes! I did it!"

And then he hits the delete button anyway, and incinerates the girl's body and erases her consciousness.

He's a bad guy, dude. And who knows what kind of awful poo poo a neckbearded manchild like that would get up to when he's got literal godlike power over all of humanity.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'd be interested in potpun's opinions on the singularity and roko's basilisk but I'm sure I can make an educated guess

I wonder if part of the reason he's stanning so hard for Stu is because he seems to assume everyone thinks of the protagonists as big drat heroes. Would it help to know that at least some people (I'd guess most) definitely do not find them heroic? If anything this season really breaks down and discards any ideas of heroism on the main trio's part imo

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Hell, they nodded at it quite a bit in the first season too -- Tiger's group was essentially anti-vaxxer ISIS. They were pretty clear that life in the future was really good for the biotics, and the only reason she and Wolf were eating rats in the sewers is because their faction refused to take the cure and went to war over it (and lost). Tiger and Wolf and Joosh aren't the heroes, they're just the protagonists. And their goals are pretty noble and selfless, even if they're going about it in the dumbest possible way, so they're not hard to sympathize with. They're just making all the wrong choices because they're idiots, not because their heart isn't in the right place.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I thought the whole issue with The Cure was that access to it was unfairly restricted and thus genocidal. What I'm wondering is how they didn't notice Tiger was a biotic, what with her purple hair and all. Wolf is dumb, but he could never ID his ingredients properly if he was THAT dumb.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Phenotype posted:

Hell, they nodded at it quite a bit in the first season too -- Tiger's group was essentially anti-vaxxer ISIS. They were pretty clear that life in the future was really good for the biotics, and the only reason she and Wolf were eating rats in the sewers is because their faction refused to take the cure and went to war over it (and lost). Tiger and Wolf and Joosh aren't the heroes, they're just the protagonists. And their goals are pretty noble and selfless, even if they're going about it in the dumbest possible way, so they're not hard to sympathize with. They're just making all the wrong choices because they're idiots, not because their heart isn't in the right place.
Yeah exactly
Plus it's also hinted that even the S1 biotic world isn't all that it seems--what kind of peaceful Utopia punishes noncompliance with death, or has kill squads

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 12, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah exactly
Plus it's also hinted that even the S1 biotic world isn't all that it seems--what kind of peaceful Utopia punishes noncompliance with death, or has kill squads

I think I would have liked it better if it focused on the season 1 future instead of the new season 2 future. Season 1 sounded ambiguous and interesting. Season is Waterworld levels of stale.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
If you think about it dennis hopper in waterworld did nothing wrong and was simply trying to help people live on this world full of water

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think I would have liked it better if it focused on the season 1 future instead of the new season 2 future. Season 1 sounded ambiguous and interesting. Season is Waterworld levels of stale.

:agreed:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

InsertPotPun posted:

I'll make you a deal: you don't get to start calling me an evil Nazi bootlicker until it involves real life ok? Jesus christ.

Cool.
1: the Pointed Circle killed the same amount of people. Doing the same thing. And learned...TADA: the exact same lesson Stu learned, people have to enter willingly to survive. Something Stu literally says out loud to the camera in a video we KNOW they have.
And while Stu was doing it to preserve humanity, they were doing it because global warming is a hoax.
2: tha's hosed up. BUT*
3: people have to enter MARS willingly. Telling them endangers them and there's really no reason to do that. MARS works on basically the same principle as the teleporter from Star Trek: your body is destroyed and your conscientiousness is moved.
Earth. Is. Dying. Stu says he actually tried to build a ship to Mars but it was impossible with the state the world is in.

AND 4: *this is still all our "heroes'" fault. All of it. H Jo wouldn't be obsessed if Tiger hadn't used him, and, oh yeah: the Earth WOULDN'T BE DYING.
No one seems to ever address this so I'll ask outright: what's the other solution?

I'm gonna guess "magic"

YUP: "Magic".

Since we can make assumptions on the tech it's pretty obvious that Stu should have just used...nano bots that...are made of unstable molecules and...hard light to...just clean up the world and make it livable again! Gee, see how evil is this guy for not doing a thing I can only assume he can do?

As long as "random assumptions" hold water in the world: assume the future TV host is telling the truth, and we can because why would he capture them and put them on display if they hadn't? Why would they capture three random terrorists, one of whom is totally worthless, unless they literally killed trillions of sentient beings? I say he's far more likely to be honest to the audience than the three characters that we've seen lie repeatedly to get their way.

You're condemning H Jo for his experiments to save humanity by LOVING the three main characters who we have seen literally kill innocent people out of boredom or straight stupidity?

I'd say you're buying into the anti-science propaganda. The other people from the future seem happy and healthy, integrating seamlessly into modern society.

Until your three best friends LITERALLY DESTROY THE EARTH.

Ugh, you suck

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

InsertPotPun posted:

I mean you’re the one who keeps saying people are too stupid to decide their own fates but ok lol

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
There's no hidden meaning or depth to this season that requires this many paragraphs of discussion.

The writers did not think this far into it. Remember when two characters swapped dongs? Masterpiece.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
e: jokes about death, bordering on not cool. sorry.

anyway, literally the entire thread disagrees, so, stop? maybe?

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
They're just parodying a totally different kind of movie. 1st season was Terminator, Back To The Future, and other time travel films from the 80s. This season was The Matrix, Mad Max, and other post-apocalyptic movies. Next season looks like Running Man and maybe Rollerball.

I think Season 2 was weaker, but it was a huge gamble basically changing the entire premise of the series. Still, lots of bright spots. I loved Wolf's arc, and I think the last few episodes were really great once Ti-Anne was revealed.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Phenotype posted:

Hell, they nodded at it quite a bit in the first season too -- Tiger's group was essentially anti-vaxxer ISIS.
lol I said exactly that and got called names by the "mature" people in here enjoying a piece of entertainment fiction "correctly".
I mean don't get me wrong: I love a good "Oh you must want to gently caress him!!" gay panic joke as much as the next guy but it's getting ridiculous.

quote:

And their goals are pretty noble and selfless
...how so? The second season IS their goal. It is the direct result of what they did. Wolf is pretty loving happy. They killed Kronish and accomplished their goal. Which lead directly to the world of season 2. They then killed Stu and accomplished their goal. Which lead directly to the end of humanity.
Because they didn't want to stop being a disease spreader because they're stupid. All those people in Washington bringing back measles are just as heroic and selfless.

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean you’re the one who keeps saying people are too stupid to decide their own fates but ok lol
Yeah. And look at all the people heaping scorn on me for not interpreting a TV show's narrative in the same way they did.
But no, I want "Buttman69" who calls me a stupid crazy suckman for not liking the same TV character as much as they did to control reality, "durr you're a stupid idiot: humans have an infinite capacity for intelligence and caring and should be treated with the utmost respect. Unless they didn't like the dad from Fraiser than they're stupid!!"

Phenotype posted:

He's a bad guy, dude.
That was 400 years ago. How long should a crime be held over a man's head? And he's done nothing for 400 years but save all of humanity from the oncoming end of the world caused by the protagonists.
And the Pointed Circle did the exact same thing.
And how many innocent people did we SEE the protags kill?
You know, besides all of humanity.

No one ever answers my questions but how do you watch a show about three characters literally destroying all of humanity and go "Yeah, those are the good guys, duh."? They basically have the same plan as Gorilla Grodd.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
No one said the protags were the good guys you dipshit

We are saying stu is evil

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

InsertPotPun posted:

lol I said exactly that and got called names by the "mature" people in here enjoying a piece of entertainment fiction "correctly".
I mean don't get me wrong: I love a good "Oh you must want to gently caress him!!" gay panic joke as much as the next guy but it's getting ridiculous.

...how so? The second season IS their goal. It is the direct result of what they did. Wolf is pretty loving happy. They killed Kronish and accomplished their goal. Which lead directly to the world of season 2. They then killed Stu and accomplished their goal. Which lead directly to the end of humanity.
Because they didn't want to stop being a disease spreader because they're stupid. All those people in Washington bringing back measles are just as heroic and selfless.

Yeah. And look at all the people heaping scorn on me for not interpreting a TV show's narrative in the same way they did.
But no, I want "Buttman69" who calls me a stupid crazy suckman for not liking the same TV character as much as they did to control reality, "durr you're a stupid idiot: humans have an infinite capacity for intelligence and caring and should be treated with the utmost respect. Unless they didn't like the dad from Fraiser than they're stupid!!"

That was 400 years ago. How long should a crime be held over a man's head? And he's done nothing for 400 years but save all of humanity from the oncoming end of the world caused by the protagonists.

No one ever answers my questions but how do you watch a show about three characters literally destroying all of humanity and go "Yeah, those are the good guys, duh."? They basically have the same plan as Gorilla Grodd.

nice meltdown

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

moist turtleneck posted:

No one said the protags were the good guys you dipshit

We are saying stu is evil

its astounding that this cant seem to sink in lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

InsertPotPun posted:

Because they didn't want to stop being a disease spreader because they're stupid.

Yes. Because they're stupid. They're only heroic in as much as they have a noble goal (and they're too stupid to realize why their goal is dumb and bad.) And Wolf is only happy til he realizes they just traded one set of biotic "oppressors" for a new set of biotech "oppressors."

InsertPotPun posted:

My guy, that wasn't 400 years ago, that was like, last year. He didn't have the Matrix stuff perfected til recently, and that poor girl that he deleted for no reason wouldn't have died very long ago at all.
And yes, the Pointed Circle did the same thing. They're jerks too.
And yes, the protagonists killed a ton of people, both intentionally and accidentally. They're also jerks. They are sympathetic, but no one thinks they're the "good guys."