Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

moist turtleneck posted:

No one said the protags were the good guys you dipshit

We are saying stu is evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
At this point I'm pretty sure potpun is stu himself

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Phenotype posted:

My guy, that wasn't 400 years ago, that was like, last year. He didn't have the Matrix stuff perfected til recently, and that poor girl that he deleted for no reason wouldn't have died very long ago at all.
Nah. Ti-Ann watched the videos when she was 13 (?) and Stu still had a body. He's in the system that he invented 400 years ago.

moist turtleneck posted:

No one said the protags were the good guys you dipshit

We are saying stu is evil
And you've yet to bring forth anything that's not random insults or your own insecurities. "Of course he's evil! The show says so! Also one day in the future he might do something evil! Also he was a jerk when he had power before, a trait our protagonists (who fight evil but aren't good! Thank god I had help moving these goal posts!) have demonstrated multiple times right 'Joosh' or "Corey Wolfheart'? So he is TOTALLY evil!"

*wank* Sorry to interrupt the stimulating conversation that WAS going on here. Go back to passive consumption.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

InsertPotPun posted:

Nah. Ti-Ann watched the videos when she was 13 (?) and Stu still had a body. He's in the system that he invented 400 years ago.

I'd have to do a rewatch, but I thought the ability to upload people into the Matrix was something he only came up with recently, once he'd exhausted the possibilities of ACTUALLY getting to Mars and started looking for alternatives. And yeah, whether it was 15 years ago or 400, the casual way he murdered that girl for no reason? I will hold it against him. That's the kind of sociopath that you can't let become godlike dictator of humanity. I don't care if Joosh was the terrorist who blew up his lab, it is downright insane to put him through an eternity of undying virtual torture.

I mean, yes, he's doing a good thing for good reasons, but he's so amoral and unstable that you can't call him a "good guy" either. If he's allowed to wield the power he does in the simulation over all of humanity, poo poo's going to go sideways real fast.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I thiiiiiiink he invented his own personal matrix in the past/our time, for himself. He just adapted it for the rest of humanity when the actual Mars adventure failed, but he looked into that after he was already a brain in a jar. The timing doesn't work otherwise. Flesh-and-blood Stu would have died naturally before the 22nd century.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

InsertPotPun posted:

And you've yet to bring forth anything that's not random insults or your own insecurities. "Of course he's evil! The show says so! Also one day in the future he might do something evil! Also he was a jerk when he had power before, a trait our protagonists (who fight evil but aren't good! Thank god I had help moving these goal posts!) have demonstrated multiple times right 'Joosh' or "Corey Wolfheart'? So he is TOTALLY evil!"

*wank* Sorry to interrupt the stimulating conversation that WAS going on here. Go back to passive consumption.

:laugh: I like you.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

InsertPotPun posted:

My man, you're not the only one capable of thinking about the media you watch. All of us clearly have, but you insist on characterizing it as though you're the only one who did and we're all passive consuming sheep because we didn't come to the same conclusion as you. You can't stand the idea that he might be the bad guy because you obviously sympathize with him a lot lol

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 13, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think the good guys are actually the bad guys and I think the first Biotics were right. Also I think taller than average James Cameron got the short end of the stick in season 2.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Phenotype posted:

I'd have to do a rewatch, but I thought the ability to upload people into the Matrix was something he only came up with recently, once he'd exhausted the possibilities of ACTUALLY getting to Mars and started looking for alternatives. And yeah, whether it was 15 years ago or 400, the casual way he murdered that girl for no reason? I will hold it against him. That's the kind of sociopath that you can't let become godlike dictator of humanity. I don't care if Joosh was the terrorist who blew up his lab, it is downright insane to put him through an eternity of undying virtual torture.

I mean, yes, he's doing a good thing for good reasons, but he's so amoral and unstable that you can't call him a "good guy" either. If he's allowed to wield the power he does in the simulation over all of humanity, poo poo's going to go sideways real fast.
At minimum he'd have to have been in the machine for, like, 340 years right? Stu's in his 30's? Not very healthy. So even assuming he altered his appearance after dying very very old he's not make it more than 40 yearsish?
So, according to you, "it is downright insane to put him through an eternity of undying virtual torture". So Stu should be punished forever, but not Josh. Even though Josh is the direct cause of a 100 year war that killed most of humanity while the world slowly died.
While Stu killed 4,000 odd people.
And the countless people josh helped Tiger and Wolf kill (including themselves many, many, MANY times)

And, again, Stu has already been ruling over their entire lives for hundreds of years.

Not to mention the warring factions are
A: an all but prehistoric tribe of sick and weak people who use pointed sticks for weapons.
And B: the single most technologically advances weapons of war on the face of the Earth in all of history.
How does THAT war last 100 years?

So not only has Stu not wiped the people who went to war against him off the face of the Earth with a thought. He also feeds them and offers them safe passage to "Mars".
Look, my point is that people can change. He's had 350 odd years to become a better person. Something he's clearly trying to do.
Josh killed all those people a few months ago, and then kills many many more people later.
In fact his plan to stop Stu in no way involves talking to him, it involves killing many, many people.
Their first.
And only.
Plan.
Is ALWAYS "murder".
But Stu can NEVER be forgiven?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My man, you're not the only one capable of thinking about the media you watch. All of us clearly have, but you insist on characterizing it as though you're the only one who did and we're all passive consuming sheep because we didn't come to the same conclusion as you. You can't stand the idea that he might be the bad guy because you obviously sympathize with him a lot lol
Nope. I'm annoyed that the best thing you can add to the conversation is "shut up dick haha" instead of...anything. I'm throwing a Thought Party and you've brought ice.

everybody needs ice

It's not MY fault you're boring, don't kill the messenger.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
This entire thread has been more entertaining and memorable than what I actually watched in Season 2.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

InsertPotPun posted:

At minimum he'd have to have been in the machine for, like, 340 years right? Stu's in his 30's? Not very healthy. So even assuming he altered his appearance after dying very very old he's not make it more than 40 yearsish?

He was in the Matrix himself for 400 years or so, but I'm pretty sure he only worked out how to upload other people in fairly recently. Through murdering a bunch of them. I don't know where you're getting that I want to punish him forever, but his recent actions and his present-day insane plans to torture Joosh eternally make him not my #1 choice for godlike ruler of humanity. Probly better than Trump, though.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Laterite posted:

This entire thread has been more entertaining and memorable than what I actually watched in Season 2.

Most correct post thus far.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jesus gently caress dude, can you find somewhere else to go live out your dictator wankfest that you so clearly want to have?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Being uploaded into a realistic virtual world is great, for my copy. lovely old me is stuck on this earth or dumped into a murder-pit and that lazy fucker version of me is just yukking it up in utopia. He's a poo poo, that guy.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
god drat pot pan man is still goin

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Laterite posted:

This is so true

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

InsertPotPun posted:

I'm throwing a Thought Party and you've brought ice.
I'm dead :laffo:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Phenotype posted:

He was in the Matrix himself for 400 years or so, but I'm pretty sure he only worked out how to upload other people in fairly recently. Through murdering a bunch of them. I don't know where you're getting that I want to punish him forever, but his recent actions and his present-day insane plans to torture Joosh eternally make him not my #1 choice for godlike ruler of humanity. Probly better than Trump, though.
I don't think so because the video shows him physically hitting keys right? Also the experiments are wearing present day clothes not future garb *shrug* I've only seen it once though.
Maybe not "forever" but it's been 400 years minimum since he killed those people is 400 years of reformation not enough? i'm sure there's not a day goes by that he doesn't feel regret. Not because he's in the matrix, or because you think he should. He looks back on the way he was then: a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. Stu want to talk to him. He want to try to talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But he can't. That kid's long gone, and this old man is all that's left. He's gotta live with that. Rehabilitated? It's just a bullshit word. So go ahead and stamp your forms, sonny, and stop wasting his time. Because to tell you the truth, Stu don't give a poo poo.

Laterite posted:

I mean...yeah :(
I'd like to see the budget break down between S1 and S2. S2 just felt "cheap". Problem the first was splitting an ensemble cast up to give them their own storylines. That's a basic mistake no one should be making here in whatever year this is. Second they didn't really have a goal for most of it. Wolf's stuff fell flat because there didn't seem to be any stakes. I wasn't looking for just more Season 1 but the entire second season could have just been two episodes of caveman dystopia and move on

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

jfc is this a Haley Joel Osment stealth account?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Phenotype posted:

jfc is this a Haley Joel Osment stealth account?

Elon Musk more likely, I doubt HJo has the same views/politics as Stu

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Stu was a cockbag from episode 1 till the end.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phenotype posted:

He roughly worked out the process 400 years ago (hence his survival) but had to spend a lot of time figuring out how to get people en masse to willingly get in. I'm assuming most of that time was spent trying to figure out how to motivate people, something Stu isn't good at.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

He roughly worked out the process 400 years ago (hence his survival) but had to spend a lot of time figuring out how to get people en masse to willingly get in. I'm assuming most of that time was spent trying to figure out how to motivate people, something Stu isn't good at.

That and obsessing over "Ty-Anne", and trying to wrest control of her DNA from Elon Musk.

I'm amused by the implication that Musk also continues to exist as a brain baron of the Wasteland.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

That and obsessing over "Ty-Anne", and trying to wrest control of her DNA from Elon Musk.

I'm amused by the implication that Musk also continues to exist as a brain baron of the Wasteland.
Fighting a 400-year Twitter war with Azealia Banks

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Okay Stu is 100% a shitheel but I think we/the show at least established that he made a genuine attempt to get humanity to literal actual Mars before he went whole hog on the digital slavery thing. Not sure about that timeframe but he didn't spend 400 years working on MARS. I figure he must have had a plan built in to take his neural CPU along for the ride.

(assuming we can trust that monologue of his but I can't find a good reason not to)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

Okay Stu is 100% a shitheel but I think we/the show at least established that he made a genuine attempt to get humanity to literal actual Mars before he went whole hog on the digital slavery thing. Not sure about that timeframe but he didn't spend 400 years working on MARS. I figure he must have had a plan built in to take his neural CPU along for the ride.

(assuming we can trust that monologue of his but I can't find a good reason not to)
He's not a one-dimensional villain, but he clearly was always interested in gaining personal power. He sacrificed something like 1,400 people to pursue his dream of digital immortality. He's a good character though, enough depth to work without needing more screen time and he forms a real connection with Tiger that makes him sympathetic to the audience (at least for a bit).

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
4000+ ;)

We're not really arguing though. This thread has legitimate issues with a lot of the writing from this season, but nobody has argued that the characters are one dimensional, save maybe Seth Rogan. We wouldn't be arguing about Stu if he was a comic book villain. Until the Achilles episode, he almost had me convinced.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Propaganda Machine posted:

4000+ ;)

We're not really arguing though. This thread has legitimate issues with a lot of the writing from this season, but nobody has argued that the characters are one dimensional, save maybe Seth Rogan. We wouldn't be arguing about Stu if he was a comic book villain. Until the Achilles episode, he almost had me convinced.

Hell, same. Until that point i was actually rooting for him and hoping he'd succeed despite the actions of Joosh and co.

But then the show reminded me that nope, everything is terrible and everyone deserves to die, especially sociopathic mass murderers with a killer robot army

E: and no amount of time is enough to look the other way on those deaths, no matter the outcome, what a stupid question only a sociopath would ask.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 17, 2019

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

I'm also pretty sure he stops calling her by her name and starts exclusively calling her My Girlfriend around the same time

He is and always had been a piece of poo poo the whole time lol

He just convinces himself he's the good guy because he badly wants to play the savior, just like Elon

Also lol if anyone thinks he wouldn't eventually dump his humanity and go full Master Computer AM on his simulation in a theoretical joosh-free timeline

Don't forget that he also built 12 million of those ED-209s to slaughter anyone who wouldn't come with him, and turned them loose as soon as things weren't going his way. He is absolutely NOT someone who ought to be trusted with any level of control over any life other than his own, let alone literally godlike power over all humanity.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He was also going to wipe out all the rest of humanity that didn't get uploaded to MARS with those death robots. Stu was kind of a jerk.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I wonder if all the resources put into building an automated killer robot army could have been put to better use feeding, educating, and sheltering the rest of humanity

hmm nah better build a bunch of robots so the techno-baron with a messiah complex can murder everyone who dared not to subjugate themselves to his will

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I wonder if all the resources put into building an automated killer robot army could have been put to better use feeding, educating, and sheltering the rest of humanity

hmm nah better build a bunch of robots so the techno-baron with a messiah complex can murder everyone who dared not to subjugate themselves to his will

Maybe the environment was destroyed due to all the factories making giant death robots, so he's a monster from both directions

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

If people are educated they might think about how hosed up it all is.

No can do.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BvoxcN0DeU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Unrelated question: How did season 2 Jeri seemingly have memories of being tortured by Tiger in the first season? That was a completely different timeline.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

All Jeris are destined to be tortured by Tiger. Next season I'm assuming only half her head blows up.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://news.avclub.com/future-man-gets-one-last-season-on-hulu-1833927577

8 more episodes and then it ends.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Awwww, Preacher is being cancelled?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Is there a thread for season 3? I saw the first two episodes so far and it is really good. Also Wolf is still the best by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Is there a thread for season 3? I saw the first two episodes so far and it is really good. Also Wolf is still the best by far.

I too watched the first two episodes tonight and found it greatly enjoyable. Freeze-frame the control panel for Seth’s “wife” in E1 for lots of nice gags.

Also how did you reply in this thread? The last post was from last May. Do threads not archive anymore?