Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

discuss space topics in here, like how loving terrible the space shuttle was, how stupid elon's newest scam rocket is, and other cool space things

e: here's a schedule of upcoming launches

https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

Raskolnikov38 has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Jan 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Will the SLS ever launch? LET'S FIND OUT

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

iospace posted:

Will the SLS ever launch? LET'S FIND OUT

*narrator voice* It didn't

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

is it funding thats delaying the program or did NASA gently caress up building/designing it

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
brb starting a "space elevator working group" at my local DSA

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Star Citizen is never coming out

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is it funding thats delaying the program or did NASA gently caress up building/designing it

It's called the Senate Launch System for a reason. I think it's a bit of NASA being pigeon-holed in to using as much shuttle derived components as possible and the Senate pulling an F-35 by sticking as many parts in many states as possible.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's a porkbarrel/jobs project. NASA has to re-use as much 'shuttle' tech as possible ostensibly for cost savings but in reality to spread the government money over as many states as possible to keep politicians happy. As it turns out stuff designed for shuttle can't immediately be re-used for SLS without costly modifications, and it's impossible to have competitive bidding when the hardware needs to be based off existing components that are already made by existing companies.

The end result is a rocket that will cost multiple billions per launch and that doesn't even have a clearly defined mission, literally the only reason for it to exist is so that people have something to do and government money gets funneled into a bunch of large contractors.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

welp at least we still have the soyuz

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Only till the end of the year.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i found it amusing that as far as a few quick wiki searches can tell me, only white american christian men have ever set foot on the moon

i dont care enough to figure out the dudes' denominations but it'd be funny if they were all protestants too

china should fix this silliness soon enough but for now the moon is the most exclusive whites-only neighborhood in the world

edit: i said 'in the world.' that's dumb. oh well

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Jan 12, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

for a couple of months
https://www.iflscience.com/space/nasa-faces-a-race-against-time-to-launch-astronauts-as-russia-confirms-soyuz-flights-will-end-in-2019/

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

i dont care enough to figure out the dudes' denominations but it'd be funny if they were all protestants too

theres a conspiracy theory that armstrong converted to islam after hearing the call to prayers on the moon

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

^^ oh yeah! i like that one

the space shuttle was a death trap but idk they're astronauts. aren't they supposed to get put in death traps?

the real tragedy wouldve been if anything had happened to STS-90, which was carrying two precious oyster toadfish

but seriously, i wish the astronauts luck in not dying and i wish the engineers luck in getting the money to make that happen

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

there's death traps and then there's "we solved the problem of crew safety in case of something happening during the launch sequence in the '60s but what if we threw that out the loving window?!?!"

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

there's death traps and then there's "we solved the problem of crew safety in case of something happening during the launch sequence in the '60s but what if we threw that out the loving window?!?!"

did somebody say window????

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
hell yeah

I've been reading one of the nasa history publications on the design and making of the shuttle

half of every chapter is "NASA asked for a bigger budget, and then the Bureau of the Budget cut their budget instead, and then the president cut their budget, and then Congress cut their budget, and then NASA made a bunch of terrible technical and strategic moves because it was about the only thing they could still afford and they were afraid they'd face even more budget cuts"

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

:rip: the smarter version of our dumbfuck shuttle

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
yeah rip

my favorite thing about buran was that it did a completely automated unmanned launch and landing once and then the soviets realized it was a waste of money and resources and mothballed it forever

meanwhile NASA had to have two of these things catastrophically explode/fall apart before realizing the same

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the Soviet space program, with the exception of the murder of Gargarin and other early gently caress ups, was always way better run than ours lol.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Existing technology in the 60s probably would have been enough to let us build nuclear propelled craft that could reach about 3% of the speed of light, which would have put our solar system within reach and meant it would be a mere century give or take to reach the nearest star system. All for there mere cost of roughly one year of national GNP.

Then the nuclear test ban treaty had to come along and ruin everything.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Larry Parrish posted:

the Soviet space program, with the exception of the murder of Gargarin and other early gently caress ups, was always way better run than ours lol.

the whole concept of a "space race" is ridiculous since if it was actually a judged competition, the soviets beat the US in every single metric except for putting people on the moon (and even then you could make the argument that if korolev had lived, they'd have gotten that one too)

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

even after we hogged all the best nazis

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helsing posted:

Existing technology in the 60s probably would have been enough to let us build nuclear propelled craft that could reach about 3% of the speed of light, which would have put our solar system within reach and meant it would be a mere century give or take to reach the nearest star system. All for there mere cost of roughly one year of national GNP.

Then the nuclear test ban treaty had to come along and ruin everything.

i absolutely do not trust the american MIC to have produced project orion without turning all of arizona into trinitite or irradiating the gulf of mexico or something

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

acting!!!!!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

turning all of arizona into trinitite

i'm sorry was this supposed to be a negative

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lmao tim curry you dog you

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
how long until a bunch of billionaires die on mars

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I love how they went with a clip where he's barely hiding his own laughter.

Larry Parrish posted:

i absolutely do not trust the american MIC to have produced project orion without turning all of arizona into trinitite or irradiating the gulf of mexico or something

The remaining population of Arizona would have been ideal candidates for populating Barry Goldwater Memorial Crater, the hottest new Helium3 mining and processing facility this side of Sol.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

oystertoadfish posted:

even after we hogged all the best nazis

The Soviets sidelined their Germans quite quickly after the war according to Chertok because Stalin didn’t trust them.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh thank god a CSPAM space thread, is the other one still infested with BAZIONGOs that will form an angry mob and run me out if I dare even breathe criticism of Our Lord and Savior, the Once and Future Emperor of Mars, the Last Best Hope of Mankind, Elon Musk?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

I assume you mean Gagarin, and i'm, along with the rest of the world, 100% certain the soviets didn't kill him.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

AMA about space. its what i do.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

we are never leaving this rock but there's lots of cool stuff in space to look at, when i have nothing to do at work sometimes i go on one of those websites where you classify galaxies from deep field images. there's a lot of the fuckin things

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

guidoanselmi posted:

I wanna be an aerospace engineer, but I want to build spaceships to do communism with, I don't wanna work for Lockheed making Hellfires. Of course, the only internships and jobs are for Lockheed making Hellfires. What do?

Crazycryodude has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Jan 13, 2019

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

guidoanselmi posted:

what's up there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Virtual Russian posted:

I assume you mean Gagarin, and i'm, along with the rest of the world, 100% certain the soviets didn't kill him.

There have been persistent conspiracy theories that his crash in 1968 was due to foul play, but yeah it's a bunch of bullshit.