Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There have been persistent conspiracy theories that his crash in 1968 was due to foul play, but yeah it's a bunch of bullshit.

Yeah, the crash fits really well with his lifetime of risky behavior. If I recall he once jumped out a second story window to avoid being caught having sex with someone who wasn't his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh thank god a CSPAM space thread, is the other one still infested with BAZIONGOs that will form an angry mob and run me out if I dare even breathe criticism of Our Lord and Savior, the Once and Future Emperor of Mars, the Last Best Hope of Mankind, Elon Musk?

Yes.

Crazycryodude posted:

I wanna be an aerospace engineer, but I want to build spaceships to do communism with, I don't wanna work for Lockheed making Hellfires. Of course, the only internships and jobs are for Lockheed making Hellfires. What do?

Try getting an internship at Rocket Lab? It's a lovely place to work because space 2.0 silicon valley work a billion hours for nothing bullshit but at least you won't be directly working for a company that makes the weapons of imperialism (just supplying them services as they're your customers) also bonus Peter Beck is from what I've heard about Elon about a billion times better to work for. He's still trying to suck all of your surplus labor like a vampire for personal enrichment but he's not a drugged out raving psycho.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe manslaughter is a better term but w.e.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm getting Yuri Gagarin mixed up with the guy who had to fly a craft everyone said wasn't safe and had it burn up on him

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
yeah you're thinking of the soyuz 1 guy

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yea that was real bad but it is badass to die by cursing the people responsible by name over the radio.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah you're thinking of the soyuz 1 guy

Vladimir Komarov.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Crazycryodude posted:

I wanna be an aerospace engineer, but I want to build spaceships to do communism with, I don't wanna work for Lockheed making Hellfires. Of course, the only internships and jobs are for Lockheed making Hellfires. What do?

Most internships/co-ops I've seen and hired tend to be technology-focused.

This typically goes for defense contractors AFAIK but I've heard of some defense-specific projects for interns, too. If you don't mind that work dual use technologies, e.g. working on better space antennas, you can do that. Most defense tech eventually makes it to the civilian side because the companies make the investments and then make more profit by offering it to NASA, etc.

Otherwise, there's plenty of NASA internships. The best way to get one is find someone at a conference and make them understand you can actually do stuff they need rather than waste their time having to be taught everything. It's not uncommon for interns to later be brought on as contractors and, if they want, ultimately civil servants. Just keep nagging them by email/phone until they relent and find something for you. Most intern funding doesn't come from projects themselves but education or specific offices that fund internships.

There's also generally non-mil commercial vendors (e.g. SSL) & a burgeoning smallsat industry for civilian imaging/telecom. I suspect there's less opportunities there because they're more business/less research oriented.

e: even more advice: the interns that leave the best impression are those who do a project that's something their managers want to do but don't have the resources for - and offer results the managers had hoped for. it's partly luck of the draw depending on the projects & managers, but if you can get a sense of what seems promising and do that, it can make a big difference.

Karl Sharks posted:

what's up there?

Not much.

guidoanselmi has issued a correction as of 02:25 on Jan 13, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

3 posted:

the whole concept of a "space race" is ridiculous since if it was actually a judged competition, the soviets beat the US in every single metric except for putting people on the moon (and even then you could make the argument that if korolev had lived, they'd have gotten that one too)

that's why the US picked that metric

it was so far beyond existing rocketry that the Americans figured the Soviets' existing rocket advantage would be dwarfed by comparison, and it was so expensive that the US figured their superior ability to throw money at the problem gave them a real shot at it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

space is stupid and bougie

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Sad Failing Russia continuously losing the Space Race by not sending cars into space, as a publicity stunt

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

bird with big dick posted:

space is stupid and bougie

It's literally the only place in existence without markets, classes, or commodities. It's communism in its ideal form.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
nationalize spacex, change the name on the sign to SpaceUSPS, and make elon ride their new water tower

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1083567087983964160

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013
that is so obviously loving photoshopped I don’t even know what

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Marxalot posted:

nationalize spacex, change the name on the sign to SpaceUSPS, and make elon ride their new water tower

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1083567087983964160

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Lol it looks so bad, I would have given them 1000% more credit if they hadn't tacked all of that shiny sheet metal to the outside of the actual structure for purely cosmetic reasons. I get it when people say "that's just to make it look good to investors/the public" but I mean drat how stupid do they think people are (very).

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013
no seriously it would look way better if it looked worse, if that makes any sense

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Yeah I could respect some crazy loving contraption that was just some tanks/pumps/motors with wires and hoses running everywhere.

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013
yeah like when ‘real’ rocket developers test their stuff it’s just exposed parts or maybe a rough housing to protect the equipment or elude to a general form but it’s obvious that it’s for testing. this fuckin thing looks like the punchline to a joke. every time I see it screen-capped it just comes off like a running gag from arrested development or something

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
space fetishism is just a continuation of colonial ideology. like, they don't even try to hide it:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unironically isn't the Iridium network old as poo poo by now. I know the Hughes constellation is insanely old too. Either our corporations will give up on it forever or they'll be trying to design and launch new constellations soon so I'd imagine theres probably a couple non-graft space startups somewhere

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The final launch to complete the second generation Iridium network was a couple of days ago.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Unironically isn't the Iridium network old as poo poo by now. I know the Hughes constellation is insanely old too. Either our corporations will give up on it forever or they'll be trying to design and launch new constellations soon so I'd imagine theres probably a couple non-graft space startups somewhere

I think I heard the iridiums are being cycled out with newer sats as they age. However the new ones are not nearly a shiny/reflective and wont do the iridium flare.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
uh, come to think of it. what exactly is the iridium network even used for nowadays. i remember a few years back there was that guy from hackercon or whatever its called in austin talking about how they reverse engineereed a bunch of stuff in the iridium network and apparently a bunch of its capacity wasnt commercially available anyway. i know they had a second gen constellation but thats hilarious if you say it literally just got finished. is there really that much demand for satphones...?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

uh, come to think of it. what exactly is the iridium network even used for nowadays. i remember a few years back there was that guy from hackercon or whatever its called in austin talking about how they reverse engineereed a bunch of stuff in the iridium network and apparently a bunch of its capacity wasnt commercially available anyway. i know they had a second gen constellation but thats hilarious if you say it literally just got finished. is there really that much demand for satphones...?

Theres quite a bit of satphone demand here in AK for commerical fisherman. Cellphones stop workin when you hit that horizon.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

the only fiction which has come close to conceptualizing practical travel amongst the stars as well as the morally proper relationships between humans and computers is the Dune series

we should be working toward a post-digital existence through mental discipline and drug use in order to propel the human race into a truly cosmic era

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The bazinga space thread insists that cheap space flight will create entirely new markets and change society etc, it's just impossible to foresee what these new markets and applications will be. I really ain't seeing it tho. They keep citing things like aluminum or steam power as historical precedent, but, like, it most definitely wasn't impossible to see that either of those could have a whole bunch of applications if only they were cheaper. Right now the commercial applications for space travel can pretty much be counted on one hand (communications and mapping are by far the most important ones), and tourism could potentially become one, but I really don't see any major new ones. The entire argument just sounds like bullshit tech determinism to me.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Kraanerg posted:

no seriously it would look way better if it looked worse, if that makes any sense

got some good news for you then:

it doesn't actually look better

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

TheFluff posted:

The bazinga space thread insists that cheap space flight will create entirely new markets and change society etc, it's just impossible to foresee what these new markets and applications will be. I really ain't seeing it tho. They keep citing things like aluminum or steam power as historical precedent, but, like, it most definitely wasn't impossible to see that either of those could have a whole bunch of applications if only they were cheaper. Right now the commercial applications for space travel can pretty much be counted on one hand (communications and mapping are by far the most important ones), and tourism could potentially become one, but I really don't see any major new ones. The entire argument just sounds like bullshit tech determinism to me.

the big two are resource exploitation and habitation, ie: concepts laid out in the high frontier all the way back in 1977.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the asteroid belt is gonna get the poo poo mined out of it someday. i bet it'll be a clusterfuck, i wish i was likely to be here to see it

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

some space nerd tell me the logistics for getting minerals from the main belt to earth surface in an economically useful form because that seems daunting

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i honestly don't know where the science is on it but i was figuring they'd have the factories out there too, or at least in microgravity somewhere

cut out the middleman of earth's gravitational well, except when you need to deliver a finished product, and i bet you could build some poo poo

these are the sorts of things that make me think it's not gonna happen until im a skeleton

edit: i assume the factories will also make more copies of themselves and of the mining von neumann machines, so this is probably when gray goo happens and eventually the solar system is just endless copies of mining/factory bots with peter thiel's face on the side of them

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Jan 13, 2019

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Somebody is going to weaponize asteroids and hold the world hostage in the stupidest thing to happen since 2019

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

seems easier to just use a nuke but what do i know

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

surviving climate change but then going extinct because of an asteroid mining accident would be pretty funny

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Helsing posted:

Existing technology in the 60s probably would have been enough to let us build nuclear propelled craft that could reach about 3% of the speed of light, which would have put our solar system within reach and meant it would be a mere century give or take to reach the nearest star system. All for there mere cost of roughly one year of national GNP.

Then the nuclear test ban treaty had to come along and ruin everything.

Forget about Orion, there was a planned, way more realistic nuclear variant of the Saturn V, with a NERVA third stage. It was a no-brainer evolutionary improvement over the Saturn V and could have landed people on Mars in the 70s, and it was scrapped because of it (politically, it was better not to get another massively expensive manned mission approved)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Prav posted:

some space nerd tell me the logistics for getting minerals from the main belt to earth surface in an economically useful form because that seems daunting

there probably isn't. the amount of energy need to haul meaningful amounts of ore back would be huge. it'd probably be easier to set up a space refinery to ship finished products back

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Realistically, you could probably set up refineries in the orbit of Mars, and potentially it's Lagrangian points (if we have the tech to mine asteroids in the belt, then we can easily do station keeping there). You can then forward the completed materials over to Earth or anywhere else where it's needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

how would you generate the energy for smelting? you'd need some pretty big solar panels to run a furnace

do you build an orbiting nuclear plant? producing nuclear fuel would be difficult too though; the most expedient measure would probably be periodically launching it from earth. but nuclear power generates a lot of waste heat. actually so does smelting. the more i think about the thermal situation the more difficult things seem