Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i mean exmarx's post quotes are right. space is cool and i love it but the anger at the time is understandable. granted there was the much larger expenditure of vietnam that could have gone to social programs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
there's enough money for both of them if we just stopped throwing gold checks at the military

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
convert the f-35 into a space plane and send it into orbit, it's good at falling

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013

Peanut President posted:

it's wonderful how it's always nasa and amtrak that are wasteful spending and not the air force, truly something all of america can agree on

I didn't realize until a few years ago that amtrak is so underfunded that it has to share track with private railroads which—shockingly—give exclusive priority to their trains which leads to constant delays and cancellations. I would bet that if you took a public opinion poll a majority would say the solution to this is to cut amtrak's budget even more or just outright abolish it. It's amazing how easily confidence in public services can be destroyed with the most obviously disingenuous tactics.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i mean exmarx's post quotes are right. space is cool and i love it but the anger at the time is understandable. granted there was the much larger expenditure of vietnam that could have gone to social programs

I tried to point out in the other thread that if you're poor and never get the chance to get interested in or learn about space then it's reasonable that space stuff looks like dumb stunts but I don't think they saw it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

logikv9 posted:

convert the f-35 into a space plane and send it into orbit, it's good at falling

Don't you have to steal an alien fighter space shi... Oh. Right.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://loopvideos.com/8EdxM72EZ94?from=78&to=83

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

New images from New Horizons

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-Article.php?page=20190115

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Prav posted:

do you build an orbiting nuclear plant? producing nuclear fuel would be difficult too though; the most expedient measure would probably be periodically launching it from earth. but nuclear power generates a lot of waste heat. actually so does smelting. the more i think about the thermal situation the more difficult things seem

Prav posted:

feel free to molest rocks here on earth. in the meantime i'm busy assessing the "value" of my heating bill

There u go mate, killed two birds with one stone

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeYGo33_wkY

Mary Alice had a baby and he looked just like I did
We got married on a Monday and I been working ever since
Every week down at the Ford Plant but now they say they're shutting down
God damned Reagan in the White House and no one there gives a drat

Double Digit unemployment, TVA be shutting soon
While over there in Huntsville, They puttin' people on the moon

So I took to runnin' numbers for this man I used to know
And I sell a few narcotics and I sell a little blow
I ain't getting rich now but I'm gettin' more than by
It's really tough to make a living but a man just got to try

If I died in Colbert County, Would it make the evening news?
They too busy blowin' rockets, Puttin' people on the moon

Mary Alice quit askin' why I do the things I do
I ain't sayin' that she likes it, but what else I'm gonna do?
If I could solve the world's problems I'd probably start with hers and mine
But they can put a man on the moon
And I'm stuck in Muscle Shoals just barely scraping by

Mary Alice got cancer just like everybody here
Seems everyone I know is gettin' cancer every year
And we can't afford no insurance, I been 10 years unemployed
So she didn't get no chemo so our lives was destroyed
And nothin' ever changes, the cemetery gets more full
And now over there in Huntsville, even NASA's shut down too

Another Joker in the White House, said a change was comin' round
But I'm still workin' at The Wal Mart and Mary Alice, in the ground
And all them politicians, they all lyin' sacks of poo poo
They say better days upon us but I'm sucking left hind tit
And the preacher on the TV says it ain't too late for me
But I bet he drives a Cadillac and I'm broke with some hungry mouths to feed

I wish I'z still an outlaw, was a better way of life
I could clothe and feed my family still have time to love my pretty wife
And if you say I'm being punished. Ain't we got better things to do?

Turnin' mountains into oceans Puttin' people on the moon
Turnin' mountains into oceans Puttin' people on the moon

Sheng-Ji Yang has issued a correction as of 08:34 on Jan 16, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
nasa gets targeted for cuts simply because there's no political blowback if it gets cut

that's all

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it's also served it's purpose. the spy satellites are in orbit and the icbm rocket engines only blow up sometimes.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
nasa should really be morphed into the physics/math/chemistry/materials science counterpart to all the biological research that the NIH does instead of it being just "rocket nerds" that people think that it is now

at least letting nasa get that sweet research money for those things that are traditionally done with the DOD's budget would mean a few less projects dedicated to the mass murder of brown people in the world

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gringostar posted:

nasa should really be morphed into the physics/math/chemistry/materials science counterpart to all the biological research that the NIH does instead of it being just "rocket nerds" that people think that it is now

at least letting nasa get that sweet research money for those things that are traditionally done with the DOD's budget would mean a few less projects dedicated to the mass murder of brown people in the world

You seem to have forgotten about NSF which funds 24% of all basic research.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Trabisnikof posted:

You seem to have forgotten about NSF which funds 24% of all basic research.

:doh:

then i guess the way that the CDC is sort of the public face of the NIH make nasa the public face of the NSF

either way cut DOD funding and shove it into science funding, not like the DOD doesn't already fund a poo poo load of stuff already if you can sort of present it in a "this will help are troops/kill browns" way

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

NSF also manages our research outposts on Antarctica which mostly function very well (for something on Antarctica) and serve as good examples of basically the most we could possibly accomplish with space colonies: a few hundred people living extremely austere existences with all food and building material shipped in, and the very minimized waste shipped back out. except they have the advantage of still being able to breathe the air and drink the local melted water

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gringostar posted:

then i guess the way that the CDC is sort of the public face of the NIH make nasa the public face of the NSF

either way cut DOD funding and shove it into science funding, not like the DOD doesn't already fund a poo poo load of stuff already if you can sort of present it in a "this will help are troops/kill browns" way

I don't think NASA should take on any of the NSF roles.

But yeah cut military funding and spend it elsewhere.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

the bitcoin of weed posted:

NSF also manages our research outposts on Antarctica which mostly function very well (for something on Antarctica) and serve as good examples of basically the most we could possibly accomplish with space colonies: a few hundred people living extremely austere existences with all food and building material shipped in, and the very minimized waste shipped back out. except they have the advantage of still being able to breathe the air and drink the local melted water

at least they'll have an abundance of water to drink over the next few decades

still haven't found a city of the old gods though so i count that research as a failure

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kraanerg posted:

I didn't realize until a few years ago that amtrak is so underfunded that it has to share track with private railroads which—shockingly—give exclusive priority to their trains which leads to constant delays and cancellations. I would bet that if you took a public opinion poll a majority would say the solution to this is to cut amtrak's budget even more or just outright abolish it. It's amazing how easily confidence in public services can be destroyed with the most obviously disingenuous tactics.

You wanna know something really cool? Amtrak was formed to take over the intercity passenger service when The Penn Central went under. Other routes were added as smaller railroads closed or gave up on passenger service. Penn Central also had freight trains that served the northeast and east central US, those, along with the Erie Lackawanna, became the government owned "Consolidated Railway Company" or ConRail for short. ConRail started turning a profit in 1981. In '86 the government put it up for sale in an IPO. In 1997 Conrail was purchased and split by CSX and Norfolk Southern. In fy2017 CSX and Norfolk Southern put up a combined $10.8 BILLION net income, which is SEVEN TIMES Amtrak's budget.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Gringostar posted:

CDC is not at all the public face of NIH.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

all military and nasa spending should be cut to zero and those resources devoted to perfecting an affordable and reliable rear end eating robot.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

once every single person on the planet can experience, whenever they want, a 10/10 rear end eating, all of society’s ills will be cured.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

bird with big dick posted:

once every single person on the planet can experience, whenever they want, a 10/10 rear end eating, all of society’s ills will be cured.

hi there, big boy
________________________________________________________________/

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOM4MpN-ju0

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

guidoanselmi posted:

hi there, big boy
________________________________________________________________/

nice white robot nasa

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Gringostar posted:

They already do that stuff though. They also do a fair bit of climate err, earth sciences research as well.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/motherboard/status/1055839691801591808

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Doing the lord's work I see

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Scientists processed 109 hours of oral sex

"my GIRLFRIEND"

- :goonsay:

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

:stonk:

Keep that dead eyed monstrosity far the gently caress away from my junk.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

How else can we objectively determine if sex is good in space than the perfect suck bot???

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013
how much closer does this get us to mars

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Cool. What's the robot on the right for?

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Is there any sources of cosmonauts smoking cigarettes aboard Mir? I remember reading about it many years ago in Ask/Tell that the stuck up NASA prettyboys were apprehensive of the russian roughnecks drinking and smoking in space.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the bitcoin of weed posted:

eh, it's not too horrible

https://mobile.twitter.com/TeamPowerGeyser/status/1059634167632351232

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
kennedy space centre owns and is the only reason i'd go back to florida

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1085919685776949248

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

I wanna be an aerospace engineer, but I want to build spaceships to do communism with, I don't wanna work for Lockheed making Hellfires. Of course, the only internships and jobs are for Lockheed making Hellfires. What do?

Take the job, give defence secrets to China, retire to a swanky villa in Beidaihe after being swapped for some CIA dweeb or die in a CIA blacksite.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

oh cool. the forever war method of ftl

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jose posted:

ok this is cool, but the guy who wrote this article has to go through first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

emarx complains that space tech diverts resources from mankind and yet posts this humanitarian effort to save mankind. self-0wned