Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
dick sucking AI to quell the incel uprising

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
How did you feel when they de-orbited Mir?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
disappointed at not getting the free taco or whatever the prize was if it hit a target in the pacific

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

logikv9 posted:

dick sucking AI to quell the incel uprising

the incel uprising will still happen as not even sex bots will gently caress those losers

sex skynet will nuke the world and i am fine with this

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

i accepted it was easier than cleaning out the cigarette smoke stains + smell

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

failed at its job of hitting & killing the gigantic sea monster that it was targeting

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Trump Reportedly Demanded That NASA Fly a Manned Mission to Mars by 2020

“Tell me, Mars—what do you see a timing for actually sending humans?” Trump asked Whitson. (He had actually signed a bill outlining the timetable just the month before.)

“Well, I think as your bill directed, it would be in the 2030s,” Whitson responded. “Unfortunately spaceflight takes a lot of time and money, so getting there will take some international cooperation.”

“Well, I think we want to do it in my first term or at worst in my second term,” Trump said. “So I think we’ll have to speed that up a little bit.”

As if this could get any more absurd, with only seconds to spare before the absolute deadline to connect with the ISS, Trump stopped to look in a bathroom mirror.

“Space Station, this is your President,” Trump said to his own reflection, according to Sims.

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013

Tokamak posted:

“Space Station, this is your President,” Trump said to his own reflection, according to Sims.

this is verging on dril territory

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
hey remember that time we invaded iraq and spent several trillion dollars killing brown people on top of our normal 600b/yr dod budget which doesn't include the money we spend on nukes or vets

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
spending money on space is a shameful diversion of resources unless we're using it to drop rocks on brown countries at a significant fraction of c

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
bump

https://twitter.com/David_Rudnick/status/960999100975022081

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
We won't have to go anywhere to never see birds or breathe fresh air again and gently caress grass anyway

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Tighclops posted:

We won't have to go anywhere to never see birds or breathe fresh air again and gently caress grass anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf1lY2QhD-0

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Lol if you don't want to go to Mars and turn the Red planet truly Red and secede from the Earther scum

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I long to go Moon is a Harsh Mistress on every rich persons palace-island

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I just want to be the first human to have a wank on mars

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

when you nut on mars

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Tiberius Christ posted:

when you nut on mars

nutting to triple-tittied martians

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Co8Z8BQgWc

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lmao "witness the last time we were one"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

still though the footage looks cool though i'm not sure if its a documentary or not? there seemed to be a few shots of 60's looking sets rather than high res footage of things from the 60s

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah its a documentary from all archival footage thats been restored. no dialogue or interviews or anything except where it was originally recorded

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

should be cool to watch then. though it did go through my mind the other day how funny it is that kennedy just announced we were going to the moon and no one bothered to ask why until after we set a dozen guys there

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

should be cool to watch then. though it did go through my mind the other day how funny it is that kennedy just announced we were going to the moon and no one bothered to ask why until after we set a dozen guys there

i've been reading a lot of NASA history publications lately and it really was a huge whiplash for NASA planners when the moon landing happened and all political will for a continued space program vanished practically overnight

they needed to come up with a new objective for manned spaceflight, but the only meaningful input the government bothered to provide was "can't you cut the price of each of these suggestions in half? we need to throw more money at Vietnam, and that's coming out of your budget"

really puts into perspective why the shuttle was so poo poo. NASA was given barely enough money to have a manned space program at all, but instead of having the guts to loudly say that lawmakers were killing manned spaceflight, they just cut more and more corners

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The moon landing seems to be more or less the last major public event where American exceptionalism was about America doing things nobody else could do instead of being an explanation for why Americans can't have universal healthcare or paid maternity leave.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Raskolnikov38 posted:

we went to the moon and did the other things, and i quote, "because they are hahd"

(the actual reasoning behind the moon landings is to dickwave about how good our nuclear capability wrt rocketry is; the actual precursor to the apollo program was a no-joke plan to straight up nuke the moon)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
we went to the Moon because moon rockets needed to be so much bigger and more expensive than existing rockets that we thought it would be the best chance for the US to catch up in the space race

that way, the Soviet technological lead in rocketry wouldn't amount to much of a head start, and the US's superior ability to throw money at problems could be put to good use in the development of heavy lift systems

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

we went to the moon because it was fuckin awesome

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/brahmsposting/status/1103409234149076996

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Apparently its because thats how much radiation shielding they think breast tissue needs because its very susceptible to cancers.

So apparently dumb anime armor potentially has a reason for existing?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Raskolnikov38 posted:

still though the footage looks cool though i'm not sure if its a documentary or not? there seemed to be a few shots of 60's looking sets rather than high res footage of things from the 60s

i had that feeling as well but i think it's actually all documentary footage. i think the reason it looks like modern shots of a 60's-looking set is that the 70mm film quality and detail levels are excellent, like off the charts, and it just clashes with my preconceived notions of what film from the 60's "should" look like

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

ok this is cool, but the guy who wrote this article has to go through first

gently caress that I watch the news I loving volunteer to go back...

...to the 2016 primary :blastu:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheFluff posted:

i had that feeling as well but i think it's actually all documentary footage. i think the reason it looks like modern shots of a 60's-looking set is that the 70mm film quality and detail levels are excellent, like off the charts, and it just clashes with my preconceived notions of what film from the 60's "should" look like

i think a lot of people aren't aware that the master copies of old films frequently look almost as good as stuff made today if they used top quality equipment, it's just the distribution/broadcast copies that looked like rear end

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
they're going to destroy a mountain to build a slightly better telescope

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I know it predates the US-backed coup but goddamn hawaiians you need a better flag for protests than just flying the state flag upside down

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Jul 22, 2019

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

i've been reading a lot of NASA history publications lately and it really was a huge whiplash for NASA planners when the moon landing happened and all political will for a continued space program vanished practically overnight

they needed to come up with a new objective for manned spaceflight, but the only meaningful input the government bothered to provide was "can't you cut the price of each of these suggestions in half? we need to throw more money at Vietnam, and that's coming out of your budget"

really puts into perspective why the shuttle was so poo poo. NASA was given barely enough money to have a manned space program at all, but instead of having the guts to loudly say that lawmakers were killing manned spaceflight, they just cut more and more corners

Also the DOD demanded lots of compromises to the shuttle design because they wanted it for Star Wars anti-satellite stuff that never happened.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

exmarx posted:

they're going to destroy a mountain to build a slightly better telescope

they do know theres already a dozen telescopes up there right

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Main Paineframe posted:

we went to the Moon because moon rockets needed to be so much bigger and more expensive than existing rockets that we thought it would be the best chance for the US to catch up in the space race

that way, the Soviet technological lead in rocketry wouldn't amount to much of a head start, and the US's superior ability to throw money at problems could be put to good use in the development of heavy lift systems

i've run into a bunch of moon landing conspiracy theorists and reminding them of the Soviet achievements and America's fragile ego made them understand why we went there and never really went back in the same way (we went to the moon 6 times). like it finally clicked that it was just a dick measuring contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

hobbesmaster posted:

they do know theres already a dozen telescopes up there right

every one that's been built has been protested against and native hawaiian's have been asking for the stuff to be torn down since it was first built in the 60s