Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

indigi posted:

the Rams looked really good yesterday though? against a better opponent?

my point was that saying "if team X loses, it is because quarterback and head coach" is something that could be said about both sides in literally every NFL game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
seems like a stupid point to make but whatever

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

the Rams looked really good yesterday though? against a better opponent?

What? That game was a tire fire both teams looked like poo poo

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

PostNouveau posted:

What? That game was a tire fire both teams looked like poo poo

48 rush attempts, 273 yards, 5.7 YPC

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah the Rams offense really looked like poo poo

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
CJ Anderson definitely looked like poo poo but he was playing football very well.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Rams key to winning will be pretty how it's been all season, keep the game close and avoid major mistakes and let your best players takeover the game in the 4th for a win. They aren't going to stonewall Brees, Kamara or Thomas but if Suh, Fowler and Littleton step up and play like they did against the Cowboys they can limit major plays in the running game and pressure Brees.

On offensive they aren't going to run the ball against the Cowboys, but if they can stick on the run all game and get the Saints defense catching on play action and motion they can certainly keep up with the Saints offense. If they fall behind by more than 14 points I would say it's game over though, the dome is going to be rocking.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

The Rams key to winning will be pretty how it's been all season, keep the game close and avoid major mistakes and let your best players takeover the game in the 4th for a win. They aren't going to stonewall Brees, Kamara or Thomas but if Suh, Fowler and Littleton step up and play like they did against the Cowboys they can limit major plays in the running game and pressure Brees.

On offensive they aren't going to run the ball against the Cowboys, but if they can stick on the run all game and get the Saints defense catching on play action and motion they can certainly keep up with the Saints offense. If they fall behind by more than 14 points I would say it's game over though, the dome is going to be rocking.

the Saints were having trouble containing Smallwood and Sproles until Brooks went out, I feel like Gurley and CJ should be able to look fairly dominant

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My power was out but holy loving poo poo the Chargers defense seems so loving dumb.

Like from what I can gather they literally let Brady dink and dunk them to death. How do you do that?

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 15, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SamuraiFoochs posted:

My power was out but holy loving poo poo the Chargers defense seems so loving dumb.

Like from what I can gather they literally let Brady dink and dunk them to death. How do you do that?

i mean he's been doing that forever, that's how he wins games

what was really inexcusable was doing the exact same oddball defensive gameplan as the previous week and hoping this was the week the patriots forgot to look at any game film at all from the previous week

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SamuraiFoochs posted:

To be fair, how can you expect to cover Edelman and Dorsett man to man? Those guys are unstoppable speedbeasts. Only solution is to go all in on zone and take away the signature 60-yard Edelman plays.

Not at all to poo poo on Jules, I love the little roid-hamster, but the Patriots literally don't have a deep-threat WR on the roster.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 15, 2019

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

defensive genius Bob Sutton will stop that dink and dunk nonsense

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I don't understand why the Chargers didn't just run Cover 0 and just bring 5 or 6 guys a play

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm not seeing what other people apparently saw,, that the Saints had some dominant performance while the Rams looked like poo poo. What I saw was the Saints almost getting smoked by a less talented and extremely injured Eagles team and probably would've finished them off were it not for a single mistake by Jeffery. Meanwhile the Rams put together an extremely solid game against a good Dallas team. They limited Zeke to like 60 yards and themselves ran for 200+ or whatever, it was a great game from that team. The Rams and the Saints are actually very similar teams in a lot of ways

I just want a good close game whatever happens

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

DariusLikewise posted:

I don't understand why the Chargers didn't just run Cover 0 and just bring 5 or 6 guys a play

Gus Bradley never blitzes

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Play posted:

I'm not seeing what other people apparently saw,, that the Saints had some dominant performance while the Rams looked like poo poo. What I saw was the Saints almost getting smoked by a less talented and extremely injured Eagles team and probably would've finished them off were it not for a single mistake by Jeffery. Meanwhile the Rams put together an extremely solid game against a good Dallas team. They limited Zeke to like 60 yards and themselves ran for 200+ or whatever, it was a great game from that team. The Rams and the Saints are actually very similar teams in a lot of ways

I just want a good close game whatever happens

The Rams looked fine. Goff was bad but they could run the ball at will. They made the Dallas offense look bad, but that’s not too tough. They had an easier time of it than the Saints.

That said, again, the Eagles beat the Rams in LA recently, and beat the Bears at home last week. They’re flawed, but they’re not a gimme.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

DariusLikewise posted:

a neat cape posted:

Gus Bradley never blitzes

Also blitzing Brady is as much of a death sentence as playing soft zone is on him. the only way to really beat the Patriots is a dominant pass rush and a secondary who presses and beats the poo poo out of their receivers on the LOS.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Rams looked fine. Goff was bad but they could run the ball at will. They made the Dallas offense look bad, but that’s not too tough. They had an easier time of it than the Saints.

That said, again, the Eagles beat the Rams in LA recently, and beat the Bears at home last week. They’re flawed, but they’re not a gimme.

I would like to think that one of the two teams in the NFC Championship game is "not a gimme"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DariusLikewise posted:

I would like to think that one of the two teams in the NFC Championship game is "not a gimme"

I meant that the Eagles weren’t a gimme win for the Saints.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

It's weird, you'd think by now people know that the way to get to Brady is to go after Brady. Like yeah he'll adjust and switch to quick dump-off passes, and be ready for that, but you have to be relentless with the pressure. Yeah it'll cost you with some big broken long plays, so your offense has to step up as well, but you need to get Brady on his rear end, a lot.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Durandal1707 posted:

Also blitzing Brady is as much of a death sentence as playing soft zone is on him. the only way to really beat the Patriots is a dominant pass rush and a secondary who presses and beats the poo poo out of their receivers on the LOS.

Brady has been rapidly getting worse against blitzes. This season he was literally one of the worst in the league against them.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

i mean he's been doing that forever, that's how he wins games

what was really inexcusable was doing the exact same oddball defensive gameplan as the previous week and hoping this was the week the patriots forgot to look at any game film at all from the previous week

I mean yeah that makes it even worse but also it seems like they picked literally the worst scheme possible AND decided to stick with it even as it got gashed.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Brady has been rapidly getting worse against blitzes. This season he was literally one of the worst in the league against them.

Don’t know where you got this but PFF has him rated 5th.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Finger Prince posted:

It's weird, you'd think by now people know that the way to get to Brady is to go after Brady. Like yeah he'll adjust and switch to quick dump-off passes, and be ready for that, but you have to be relentless with the pressure. Yeah it'll cost you with some big broken long plays, so your offense has to step up as well, but you need to get Brady on his rear end, a lot.

Its infuriating, they have small speedy receivers. their only big target is gronk and he's hosed up. yet the chargers never pressed and let the pats wrs get speedy every loving down. holy loving poo poo man

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Don’t know where you got this but PFF has him rated 5th.

I must have gotten some bad info or maybe it was over a shorter span? Either way playing zone against this current Pats team is THE worst idea. They have no deep threats.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

there’s no secret way to beat Brady. he is likely going to play very well no matter what you do

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nah posted:

there’s no secret way to beat Brady. he is likely going to play very well no matter what you do

Yes. But again in 2019 blitzing is probably a better bet.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nah posted:

Exactly, all you can do is try to slow him down. Give him a pocket and 2 seconds and he'll drive the field and score. So to have any hope, you need to collapse the pocket and hurry him every single down you can.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
How not to cope with a loss:

https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/1085003979858345984

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
This is how I cope with loss

| ||
|| |_

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

quite a twist there

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Finger Prince posted:

Exactly, all you can do is try to slow him down. Give him a pocket and 2 seconds and he'll drive the field and score. So to have any hope, you need to collapse the pocket and hurry him every single down you can.
Brady is going to hurt you no matter what, but if you can jam up his receivers and pressure him consistently (no easy task!), he’ll make a few mistakes that will give your team a much better shot. If you don’t/can’t pressure him, he’ll rip your defense apart 10 times out of 10.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
If the Patriots win the SB again, disband the league.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Actually, as far as road games go that was a pretty damned good game for the Dallas offense. Like, Dak still looks flawed as hell at times but if you had told me the offense would be the only thing keeping the Cowboys in that game AND they'd score over 20 points on the road, I'd tell you that you're high. Dallas was absolute trash on both sides of the ball when they were the visiting team, so if anything Dak walks out of this loss still looking okay!

That's loving nuts for me to be saying right now!!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A.o.D. posted:

This is how I cope with loss

| ||
|| |_

I love that those four panels will be forever seared in our collective brains.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mr. Nice! posted:

I love that those four panels will be forever seared in our collective brains.

We should really be Generation Meme.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Glass of Milk posted:

If the Patriots win the SB again, disband the league.

That would make his records eternal so sure. :patssay:

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Shinjobi posted:

Actually, as far as road games go that was a pretty damned good game for the Dallas offense. Like, Dak still looks flawed as hell at times but if you had told me the offense would be the only thing keeping the Cowboys in that game AND they'd score over 20 points on the road, I'd tell you that you're high. Dallas was absolute trash on both sides of the ball when they were the visiting team, so if anything Dak walks out of this loss still looking okay!

That's loving nuts for me to be saying right now!!!

Dak looked bad both playoff games. Other NFCE teams should rejoice when he gets paid $25m/year.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The score seemed a lot closer because the Rams switched to soft zone and basically let the Cowboys pass underneath and stay in bounds to keep the clock running which they played into perfectly. If Talib hadn't got that last DPI they could have probably stalled the drive completely or at least run another minute off the clock before giving up the score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
A lot of Dak's issues and inconsistencies come from the scheme being total trash. I never want to see everyone run a hitch route at the sticks on third and long again