Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Phobeste posted:

Without the patriots the rest of the league would accept constant mediocrity because a roll of the dice would win a super bowl every ten years or so. Like a bad coach gutting out a lucky division win at the end of the season every couple years for another extension. With the patriots, you have to be actually good. It's really tough for a lot of fanbases and teams to accept.

The Patriots lost to a backup QB and a QB that eats paint (twice)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Not every Picasso was a masterpiece.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

the patriots will lose next week because they couldn't cover a trick play in miami lol

and we're gonna hire the coach responsible for it

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

CyberPingu posted:

Those teams stepped up and by definition were better those games. Without the rest of the patriots dynasty they wouldn’t be as memorable. Part of setting the bar is that sometimes teams exceed it

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
OP, I'm totally with you on this. I really appreciate Brady/the Patriots for the bar-setting factor. Imagine being able to say you were there if/when Brady sets the insane record of six rings for a QB, and imagine for the rest of your life getting to cheer for the next rising star to meet or break this record. Fun stuff, man.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

CyberPingu posted:

And thrice by a quarterback in the AFC championship whose brother eats paint

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

One more for the road

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Imagine a milquetoast league where every year one of a scattershot collection of mediocre crabs would get to the top of the bucket and be lionized before promptly disappearing again while leaving no lasting legacy oh wait that’s the NFC. Much better to be able to say you succeeded or failed against the best the sport has ever had to offer

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT’S SUPER BOWL LI AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE PLAYS ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, TOM. I DO EVERY PLAY AND I DO EVERY PLAY HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM THE BALL INTO EDELMANS HANDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE LEAGUES MOST DANGEROUS CONFERENCE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE PLAYS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Phobeste posted:

Imagine a milquetoast league where every year one of a scattershot collection of mediocre crabs would get to the top of the bucket and be lionized before promptly disappearing again while leaving no lasting legacy oh wait that’s the NFC. Much better to be able to say you succeeded or failed against the best the sport has ever had to offer

NFC has 27 super bowls AFC only has 25, AFC has little brother syndrome like woah

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Only football post 9/11 counts. It's a brave new world.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Free Lord Waffle Beard

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Dubious posted:

Free Lord Waffle Beard

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
He posts as BaggySteve now.

Well, he'll post when the Seahawks get to play again next year.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Phobeste posted:

The Giants, Packers and Steelers would still be the dominant teams, OP

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The Giants, Packers and Steelers would still be the dominant teams, OP

All trading off, no consistent benchmark. Need a constant goal for which the 8 or so teams that are trying to win a super bowl in a given year are striving

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
None of those teams have been dominant since computers became commercialized lmao

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Metapod posted:

None of those teams have been dominant since computers became commercialized lmao

You are mistaken. No team but the Patriots have more SB appearances than the Steelers since Y2k. The Giants have won 4 SBs since the Mac was introduced, And the Packers have had 25 years of HoF QB play.

You can keep sucking Patriots dick tho, since your team is always bad

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Being good enough a couple years is not dominant. Being dominant is being absolutely better than everyone. You put that team against anyone and think yeah they will probably win. Any loss to a dominant team causes question to if their run is done. No one has thought either of those things about the steeler giants or packers in a long time

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Metapod posted:

Being good enough a couple years is not dominant. Being dominant is being absolutely better than everyone. You put that team against anyone and think yeah they will probably win. Any loss to a dominant team causes question to if their run is done. No one has thought either of those things about the steeler giants or packers in a long time

I think you're confusing dominant with dynasty.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The only real downside to the Patriots being so dominant is that good players don't want to play in the AFC unless they're making bank because they know they'll have to get past the Patriots (usually at Gillette) to even have a shot at a ring.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
You can't be dominant if you don't have a dynasty

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Metapod posted:

You can't be dominant if you don't have a dynasty

Sure, change the semantics of your argument

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I opened this thread to vote 1, now going to mark as unread

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Sure, change the semantics of your argument

How have they changed? Being good enough to climb the mountain every now then is not dominant. To be dominant you have to constantly do it till people are shocked that someone else did.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Metapod posted:

How have they changed? Being good enough to climb the mountain every now then is not dominant. To be dominant you have to constantly do it till people are shocked that someone else did.

If that were true, more than 5 teams would have represented the AFC since the turn of the Century

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Only the Patriots have represented the AFC back to back times this century everyone else got hot at the right time and made a great run

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The last time the Steelers were dominant was 1979. will they ever get there again? it will likely take a new head coach from the mcvay coaching tree.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

If that were true, more than 5 teams would have represented the AFC since the turn of the Century

That kinda goes to my point. The patriots are really good and have been for a long time, both of which are necessary to be a true standard of excellence. That the NFC has more teams representing it doesn't mean the NFC is better, it just means that the teams the quality of the ones that lost in the AFC championship just get to lose in the super bowl more

Nov 6, 2002

Cavauro posted:

The last time the Steelers were dominant was 1979. will they ever get there again? it will likely take a new head coach from the mcvay coaching tree.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The last time the Steelers were dominant was whenever Cowher was standing on the sideline confused about what was going on with his offense but with a really manly jawline.

Nov 6, 2002

In the last 10 years the Steelers have won their division four times. Hardly dominate.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
OTOH OP, suck my rear end

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m starting to forget what the NFL was like before the Patriots were dominate. It’s been that long.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
thesis is hosed up if true op

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is only one play that can save baseball, a perfectly executed bunt.

Ichiro! was fun to watch gently caress you!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Phobeste posted:

The Yankees dominance was bought. The nfl is a hard cap league so there’s no excuses

lol at anyone who thinks there's no correlation between giant media markets and the teams from there winning all the loving time

A perennial contender from Boston, you say? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
As the fifteenth day of the month of January comes to a close on the west coast, I continue to count out Touchdown Tom. :colbert: