Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Ban all the Pats fans when they win the Super Bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

go pats

fruity no gay
May 7, 2018

by Cyrano4747

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

i cannot wait for someone to investigate just how much rent tom is paying for his clinic in patriot's place.

or for him to suddenly magically get a portion of patriots ownership after he retires.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

BUG JUG posted:

i cannot wait for someone to investigate just how much rent tom is paying for his clinic in patriot's place.

or for him to suddenly magically get a portion of patriots ownership after he retires.

Tom doesn't care about money because he is genuinely insane

In every other universe he's a crazy guy working at taco bell who tells every single customer about how he almost went pro. But not in this one!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
It's an interesting question. Yeah there is definitely intrigue when the Patriots are involved these days. Cause everyone wants to see them lose. But on the other hand they weren't always like that. Even after their first Superbowl win they weren't really considered that huge of a deal and even failed to make the playoffs the following year. When they got back to SB 38 it felt like everyone wanted Manning to get there and that Patriots vs Panthers was a boring SB that no one wanted to watch. Brady wasn't the villain of the NFL quite yet.

So what I'm saying is yeah it might be good now when the Patriots are in it but other teams can also build their legacies and become interesting and intriguing in their own right. And it's been tough for teams to do that with the Patriots' dominance. So you wind up in this position where few other teams have been able to have as much of a presence. So if it had been Chiefs vs Rams everyone would be like "Nobody really cares about this game" and also it has to try to follow their regular season meeting which will be hard. But then it gives them a chance to become more known and have a reputation.

So yeah there are true aspects to the Patriots being good for the intrigue in some ways but if they're the only team winning it makes it more boring. But at least my own team was the one non-Manning team in the AFC that was able to get past them in that championship game. That's one thing I'll always appreciate.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Zyla posted:

bernie sanders is a huge fan of the team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqlgaiz4WRI

Proving once again that Sanders is cool and good.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Next week our panel discusses: Can there be too many birds on a bird watch? Our all-star analysts weigh in

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

sweet thursday posted:

Next week our panel discusses: Can there be too many birds on a bird watch? Our all-star analysts weigh in

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

\
Our coach should be fired, our game plan has been exposed, but I feel optimistic for next year, somehow

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

sweet thursday posted:

As long as you can still read the numbers and see the hands, the bird watch should be good.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
don't know why there's so much discussion about the NFL being better when the Patriots are good when it's a moot point, they are obviously evil

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I find it very inspiring that parity is still alive and well in the NFL and that any team can make it to the Super Bowl to play the Patriots. Even one from a fake football city like LA.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
It's nice to see an expansion team make the SB

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Smiling Mandrill posted:

OK which one of you bastards counted out Touchdown Tom?

It was me!

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Oh, and Brady takes a pay cut because he knows he’s only good because of a decent o-line and scheming.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

It's ironic that the Rams were the opponent at the start of the Brady/Belicheck run and they will be the opponent at the end.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Patriots in a nutshell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW37AGZ0Pj0

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

lol at anyone who thinks there's no correlation between giant media markets and the teams from there winning all the loving time

A perennial contender from Boston, you say? :thunk:

Counterpoint Boston is a fake, podunk third tier town

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Counterpoint Boston is a fake, podunk third tier town

Also extremely racist.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Larch posted:

Interesting topic. Interesting conception off the NFL.

Most of you know that I'm a pats fan. I don't think I agree with this idea because the idea of "better" doesn't really exist in this league or any other.

Football, like all of the sports, is a form of entertainment. For the athletes and coaches it might be live or die, win or go home, put the hay in the barn or whatever bullshit you like to say. In the end though, every single one of them is simply a part of an entertainment and profit scheme.

How is that scheme improved by this kind of dominance? It is not. It would be far better for them to weight the seedings by last won championship or whatever, in order to engage more fans in the process.

From a pure execution and quality of game standpoint, maybe it's better. Like if you just love the idea of football and the intricacies of it, then maybe you have a case. The reason that patriots Superbowls are always exciting is because they hang on by the skin of their teeth. It almost always comes down to the last play. Good football.

But in terms of the overall health of the game, the league, and it's long term prospects, the patriots are terrible. Very terrible indeed.

The heel has to lose, and the hero has to change. Most football fans are simply in allegiance with their team, they're not fans of the game, they're not fans of plays or strategy. They just want their team to win, and their money is green.

But here we are. So these other assholes need to get their poo poo together and stop my favourite team and quit whining.

Go Pats!

This is really silly when basketball is almost the opposite where the periods of massive interest in the sport all seemed to coincide with dominant teams while the periods where everyone just kind of hosed around like the 1970s are the ones nobody remembers very well.

like do you think anyone would have given a poo poo about golf in the 90s if it had been Ben Crenshaw and Justin Leonard and a bunch of other dudes trading around major titles instead of Tiger Woods kicking everyone's rear end repeatedly

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 21, 2019

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Sodomy Hussein posted:

lol at anyone who thinks there's no correlation between giant media markets and the teams from there winning all the loving time

The same one that's all of 9th on this list? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_television_markets

This kind of weak excuse-making is the key signifier of a fanbase that doesn't actually care whether their team wins super bowls or not. If they did care, they would be holding their own team to account for not getting better.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/1087361342393274370

The Patriots are the official team of white supremacy.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Dominant football team the Jets

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the New England Patriots. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to em"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like i don't know about hard data but there's a serious amount of empirical evidence that dominance is either not harmful or actually good for your sport's media prospects. the only times the public gives a poo poo about boxing is if there's a superstar winning everything on a Mike Tyson level. when's the last time you've heard "oh you have to watch the next boxing ppv, it's so exciting, the title's changed hands 6 times in the last 5 years so anyone can win".

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Phobeste posted:

This kind of weak excuse-making is the key signifier of a fanbase that doesn't actually care whether their team wins super bowls or not. If they did care, they would be holding their own team to account for not getting better.

It's true. It's drat true.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kawalimus posted:

that Patriots vs Panthers was a boring SB that no one wanted to watch. Brady wasn't the villain of the NFL quite yet.

i get that you're talking about before the game but that was like the most exciting super bowl ever

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Feels Villeneuve posted:

like do you think anyone would have given a poo poo about golf in the 90s if it had been Ben Crenshaw and Justin Leonard and a bunch of other dudes trading around major titles instead of Tiger Woods kicking everyone's rear end repeatedly

Maybe, but golf got a huge boost in viewership/ratings because Tiger Woods is a black man playing in a predominantly white man's sport.

The equivalent would be if the New England Patriots was fielding a team of all women & still having the level of success they have now.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i get that you're talking about before the game but that was like the most exciting super bowl ever

Wasn't that game like 6-3 at halftime

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Intruder posted:

Wasn't that game like 6-3 at halftime

It was a weird game because like 40 points were scored in the 4th quarter, but I definitely remember thinking it was an amazing game at the time

in retrospect Carolina definitely should have won because it would have been too good if prior to last year, the only QBs to beat Brady were Eli Manning and Jake Delhomme

Nov 6, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

in retrospect Carolina definitely should have won because

Strongly disagree here.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love mediocre QBs. The best NFL game of all time was that Steelers/Browns wild card game where the QB matchup was Tommy Maddox/Kelly Holcomb and Holcomb put up like 450 yards

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I dare you to go watch this game

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201212020nyj.htm

I think what you really mean is you like when mediocre QBs have monster games

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That's the point of what I'm saying. What everyone assumed would be a boring worthless superbowl because it was two "nobody" teams and Jake Delhomme at QB turned out to be a great one and built up the Patriots as a major franchise and also put guys like Steve Smith on display. Plus early on that year that's when the Patriots lost that game to the Bills 31-0 and Tom Jackson said Bill Belichick had lost the team.

And yeah it was 6-3 at half and started slow but it picked up. I hate when people just say a game is terrible before the last two quarters. Because those can always make a game great. Just like that one was.

Nov 6, 2002

I agree, James White is pretty awesome.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/1087361342393274370

Yes, i also agree that James White is our supreme ruler as well.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Intruder posted:

That's like my favorite thing ever in the NFL

I think that Browns/Steelers game is still like 5th on the all time list for combined passing yards in a playoff game or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Intruder posted:

I dare you to go watch this game

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201212020nyj.htm

Fitzmagic at the beginning of this year was glorious.