Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

long live mongodb. long live documentdb. hail bezos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lmao it tops out at 64 TB of storage. that’s cute

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

amazon just released their own document database which clones mongo’s last open api, 3.6

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rex-Goliath posted:

amazon just released their own document database which clones mongo’s last open api, 3.6

f

lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I hate Mongo with a loving passion thanks to work

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yeah rip

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

dyin

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
mongo changed their license so that aws couldn't use them. amazon responded by just reimplementing mongo

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Plorkyeran posted:

mongo changed their license so that aws couldn't use them. amazon responded by just reimplementing mongo

why the gently caress would they do this

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah i dont get why they didn't just make a good document store instead of copying mongodb.

well i mean i do but that's what they shoulda done.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
they just copied the API, the backend looks like it's actually good, unlike mongodb

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

they just copied the API, the backend looks like it's actually good, unlike mongodb

nice but the mongo api sucks

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i don't understand why anyone would use mongodb or even want a document store. your poo poo's relational, yes it is, i promise, look harder at it, or have someone else design the schema if your brain is too broken from staring at json all day. then you get to use sql and a stable rdbms and live happily ever after

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

nice but the mongo api sucks

but keeping stuff which relied on that api was the purpose of the exercise

if you are just making wishes about things amazon should build i think it is a pretty narrowminded idea to suggest a document database. a cure for cancer is probably in their economic reach, but perhaps a union for their employees if we look to keep things a bit bounded

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

but keeping stuff which relied on that api was the purpose of the exercise

if you are just making wishes about things amazon should build i think it is a pretty narrowminded idea to suggest a document database. a cure for cancer is probably in their economic reach, but perhaps a union for their employees if we look to keep things a bit bounded

i'm just here to dunk on mongo but i'm not dunking very hard

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
the use-cases for a document db are far and few between, and i've never come across the need for one, but amazon will be happy to take your money no matter what.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the use-cases for a document db are far and few between, and i've never come across the need for one, but amazon will be happy to take your money no matter what.

uh what if i have a shitload of documents, what then?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ADINSX posted:

i've been reading about this revolutionary new document store called a file system

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 14, 2019

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
rip racist and ableist db

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

ADINSX posted:

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i've been reading about this revolutionary new document store called a file system

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
blazing saddles is a good movie tho

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i don't understand why anyone would use mongodb or even want a document store. your poo poo's relational, yes it is, i promise, look harder at it, or have someone else design the schema if your brain is too broken from staring at json all day. then you get to use sql and a stable rdbms and live happily ever after

Ok, but is it webscale?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

yes. it is webscale.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DELETE CASCADE posted:

even if you, for some reason, need a document database, if your documents are measured in kilobytes and not megabytes your rdbms' internal json/xml support will probably do just fine

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

even if you, for some reason, need a document database, if your documents are measured in kilobytes and not megabytes your rdbms' internal json/xml support will probably do just fine

ya and i feel like too many people get themselves into a self-justifying loop here... if your documents are megabytes but that's only because you refuse to normalize anything because you don't understand relational databases, welp

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
good time to repost a classic:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
here's a real conversation I had at work, paraphrased for brevity

quote:

user: We want to move away from Firestore and to another cloud document store for my in-house written app. Anyone have any suggestions? It needs to be able to store data with a variable schema.
me: documentdb or dynamo if it's K/V but why's it a variable schema?
someone else: you could use CosmosDB or rethinkDB
me: there are a lot of better options if you don't need a variable schema, why do you have a variable schema
user: I will look into cosmosdb or dynamo whichever has a better sdk thanks guys

I reckon a json document store might shine if you have extremely complicated objects that you want to pickle. There is probably a tipping point where a table with a bunch of foreign keys becomes harder to understand and maintain then blobs of JSON.

Every single time I've seen one used, and I almost used mongo for a personal project because I fell into the same trap, it was literally to avoid the extremely trivial task of writing a schema for like, two tables.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

there’s legit uses for document stores yeah but if you’re building a single application or a hobby project it’s probably not it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lol at some of you being beaten into submission and feeling like you just gotta have a schema because what’s the big deal?? once you’ve built something without having to care about it you’ll understand the appeal

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

documentdb is web scale

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

necc0 is now bad database shaggar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Rex-Goliath posted:

lol at some of you being beaten into submission and feeling like you just gotta have a schema because what’s the big deal?? once you’ve built something without having to care about it you’ll understand the appeal

i get it but you can build a thing in postgres with a jsonb column (or with a schema because it's really not that hard) without caring about it and it will take the same amount of effort, work better, and you wont be hosed when your bullshit thing suddenly becomes important.

if you don't care about it, why use really lovely tools that are going to force you to spend more time dealing with it. it's stupid.

use good tools even if you're building something lovely. especially if you're building something lovely.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 15, 2019

• Locked thread