Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
mongo changed their license so that aws couldn't use them. amazon responded by just reimplementing mongo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i love to have my schemas defined implicitly by the code using the data so that i can never be quite sure what fields should be present

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

abigserve posted:

I would also like to know what the downside of doing this is for small document stores

just a giant directory, and the index is the file name

the downside is that most filesystems are sort of shockingly bad at reliably storing data. with postgres you can safely assume that if you insert a row, subsequent queries will either not see that row or will see the complete row that you inserted. doing this with a filesystem requires an akward dance of writing to a temporarily file, fsyncing it (and then calling the non-portable real fsync for your platform that actually works) and then moving it to the final location and praying that moves are actually an atomic operation.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

suffix posted:

defining a schema is a-ok but managing schema changes gets tired quickly

that said i only see document databases proposed in the worst places, like "that place we keep writing inconsistent data to? the one we do tons of ad-hoc queries on? let's use a semipersistent key-value store with two supported language bindings"

writing code that deals with objects with a bunch of different shapes because you didn't migrate the existing data to the new schema is pretty tiring too

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

lancemantis posted:

does this mean people running ubuntu in prod will feel vindicated?

no, if they were running a proper server os they'd be free from mongo

• Locked thread