Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
here's a real conversation I had at work, paraphrased for brevity

quote:

user: We want to move away from Firestore and to another cloud document store for my in-house written app. Anyone have any suggestions? It needs to be able to store data with a variable schema.
me: documentdb or dynamo if it's K/V but why's it a variable schema?
someone else: you could use CosmosDB or rethinkDB
me: there are a lot of better options if you don't need a variable schema, why do you have a variable schema
user: I will look into cosmosdb or dynamo whichever has a better sdk thanks guys

I reckon a json document store might shine if you have extremely complicated objects that you want to pickle. There is probably a tipping point where a table with a bunch of foreign keys becomes harder to understand and maintain then blobs of JSON.

Every single time I've seen one used, and I almost used mongo for a personal project because I fell into the same trap, it was literally to avoid the extremely trivial task of writing a schema for like, two tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Isn't storing json far less storage efficient because it stores the fields with every document

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

apache did this https://avro.apache.org/ so I'm going to guess a heckin' lot

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what if you just used a filesystem as a database? wouldn't that be like peak unix because ~everything's a file~

I would also like to know what the downside of doing this is for small document stores

just a giant directory, and the index is the file name

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

suffix posted:

avro is mysteriously slow, i've never seen a benchmark where it parses faster than json
no real reason it should be that way afaik but for current implementations thrift or protocol buffers will beat it handsomely if you're worried about cycles :shrug:

for reference I would never use avro over protocol buffers or regular json and in fact when i had the explicit option recently I serialized JSON itself

but I reckon the fellas at apache know more about it then I do and the concept of it makes sense, so it must have some use

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I want to like pleasuredb but it goes down all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

holy loving lmao I thought this was a parody and I was loving it to start with

"scalability is always on"
unironically deploying to prod on a friday night