Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO YA GOT
This poll is closed.
Patriots & Rams 23 10.36%
Saints & Chiefs 61 27.48%
Patriots & Saints 36 16.22%
Rams & Chiefs 102 45.95%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

lol the corniest motherfucker to ever live on this goddamn forsaken planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Asproigerosis posted:

Yo know, watching Romo instantly dissect how the defense hosed up on their play selection as soon as they line up really makes you wonder how bad defensive coordinators really are that they are unable to do the same thing.

I'm sure they are able to do the same thing, but are unable to communicate with whomever on defense has the headset as comms are cutoff in the last 15 seconds of the 40 second play clock.

Nov 6, 2002

Updated draft order

1. Cardinals 3-13

2. 49ers 4-12

3. Jets 4-12

4. Raiders 4-12

5. Buccaneers 5-11

6. Giants 5-11

7. Jaguars 5-11

8. Lions 6-10

9. Bills 6-10

10. Broncos 6-10

11. Bengals 6-10

12. Packers 6-9-1

13. Dolphins 7-9

14. Falcons 7-9

15. Washington 7-9

16. Panthers 7-9

17. Browns 7-8-1

18 Vikings 8-7-1

19. Titans 9-7

20. Steelers 9-6-1

21. Seahawks 10-6

22. Ravens 10-6

23. Texans 11-5

24. Raiders (via Bears 12-4)

25. Eagles 9-7

26. Colts 10-6

27. Raiders (via Cowboys 10-6)

28. Chargers 12-4

29. Chiefs 12-4

30. Packers (via Saints 13-3)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

a new study bible! posted:

Sure, but one is a football move done by an opposing football man, and the other is a coin flip.

The coin didn't drive 80 yards down the field for a touchdown, including converting three different third and longs

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

But it did decide which team was allowed to do that.

Also, you have to be a real galaxy brain to just :smug: and say play defense when Tom Brady is drawing roughing calls from getting tapped on the shoulder and defenses are at a point of historical impotence because of sweeping rule changes to protect Tom Brady.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

But it did decide which team was allowed to do that.

Neither team being good enough to win in regulation was the cause of the entire thing. Don't want to be hosed by a coin flip? Don't let it go to OT

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So you're saying that you'd rather successfully drive down the field only to have your near game clinching play taken away by a bad call than have to stop a team from driving the length of the field for a touchdown?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Can't believe how much Tom Brady was protected on those last 3 plays (including the TD) that were all runs up the middle

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Intruder posted:

The coin didn't drive 80 yards down the field for a touchdown, including converting three different third and longs

The team that receives first is 8-1 in the past nine OT playoff games.

It could be statistical noise I guess, but if a coin toss has even like a 5% chance of influencing the game’s outcome, the rules should be re-examined.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I'm sure they are able to do the same thing, but are unable to communicate with whomever on defense has the headset as comms are cutoff in the last 15 seconds of the 40 second play clock.

Get the big stupid signs and assistants on the sidelines like college. Or, get rid of the comms cutoff for defenses since they are already playing at a huge handicap with the goodell rules.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Intruder posted:

So you're saying that you'd rather successfully drive down the field only to have your near game clinching play taken away by a bad call than have to stop a team from driving the length of the field for a touchdown?

I don't know who this is responding to but if it's to me then I have to reiterate that teams that get "robbed" by a bad call maybe didn't deserve the win they were "robbed" of if a single bad call or coin flip could "rob" them of it

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

The team that receives first is 8-1 in the past nine playoff games.

It could be statistical noise I guess, but if a coin toss has even like a 5% chance of influencing the game’s outcome, the rules should be re-examined.

I think the problem is by the time we get to OT the defenses are completely gassed. It was especially bad last night in the Pats game because they had run so many more plays on offense, and just like the Falcons in the Super Bowl the Chiefs defense barely had anything left in the tank.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

fsif posted:

The team that receives first is 8-1 in the past nine OT playoff games.

The same discussion seems to be happening in multiple threads so I'll just quote myself from the other one

Chris James 2 posted:

smh everyone was fine with the OT rules when it was Tebow loving up the Steelers and ruining Ben's day

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Phobeste posted:

I don't know who this is responding to but if it's to me then I have to reiterate that teams that get "robbed" by a bad call maybe didn't deserve the win they were "robbed" of if a single bad call or coin flip could "rob" them of it

Nah

I'd rather have a game decided on a no called DPI than a coin toss.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Intruder posted:

Yes, I would rather chance the refs blowing a call than losing on a coinflip because neither team can play defense.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Look, it can be funny that Tebow killed the Steelers while being simultaneously bad design.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

the only good thing about this super bowl matchup is that I'll be partying in Banff that night so I probably won't remember it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Personally I'd rather my team had its destiny at least somewhat in its hands and fail than have them do everything they needed to win and then lose thanks to sources completely outside their control :shrug:

Unless you're fishing for excuses afterward anyway

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I think the problem is by the time we get to OT the defenses are completely gassed. It was especially bad last night in the Pats game because they had run so many more plays on offense, and just like the Falcons in the Super Bowl the Chiefs defense barely had anything left in the tank.

The fact Romo could see it & said "Maybe the Chiefs should call a timeout to help the defense catch their breath" says everything.

You know that the Pats are back in Foxborough, running up that hill.

Speaking of which, I'm hitting the stairmaster today at the gym.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Intruder posted:

Personally I'd rather my team had its destiny at least somewhat in its hands and fail than have them do everything they needed to win and then lose thanks to sources completely outside their control :shrug:

Unless you're fishing for excuses afterward anyway

Note this post implies that the no call ended the game but the Saints has a possession they could have won the game with and blew it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Note this post implies that the no call ended the game but the Saints has a possession they could have won the game with and blew it.

If the call is made the game is essentially over. But yes, the Saints did have their chances afterward

So I guess the call didn't directly cause the loss but did pull the rug out from under the win

Nov 6, 2002

Yes, I would rather chance the refs blowing a call than losing on a coinflip because neither team can play defense.

Hmm, let's see what Saints fans have to say about that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The funniest thing about the no-call is that if instead of delivering the hit he had just kind of stopped where he was, the ball would have bounced harmlessly off of his back anyway

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Bad calls happen. I bet if you look at the statistics, the Saints on that final drive were more in control of their destiny than the Chiefs at the end of the game. Look at the OT coinflip winrates against the percentage of blown calls that force a loss in this season. Not sure how you would conduct that analysis, but one seems pretty high and the other seems pretty low.

Although a really good way for the Chiefs to control their destiny would have been to burn clock on that three minute drill instead of scoring in 20 seconds, imo.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1087365793778671617?s=21

Nov 6, 2002

Although a really good way for the Chiefs to control their destiny would have been to burn clock on that three minute drill instead of scoring in 20 seconds, imo.

This is also the thing that cost them the game against New England earlier in the year, scoring too quickly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

gently caress, I don't want to get up at 8 am for a Texans game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Intruder posted:

If the call is made the game is essentially over. But yes, the Saints did have their chances afterward

So I guess the call didn't directly cause the loss but did pull the rug out from under the win

I mean bad calls happened and I bet if you want to be a stickler you can find some bad non calls that helped the Saints on that last drive.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Bad calls happen. I bet if you look at the statistics, the Saints on that final drive were more in control of their destiny than the Chiefs at the end of the game. Look at the OT coinflip winrates against the percentage of blown calls that force a loss in this season. Not sure how you would conduct that analysis, but one seems pretty high and the other seems pretty low.

That's one thing I thought was fascinating about the Pats/Chiefs game. The final drives in regulation would've been killer for each side if they just burned clock. Burkhead's run for the touchdown should've had him go along the goal line for a couple seconds (or fall down before crossing over) to leave no time left on the clock, but I also get that players are trained to score if they got the chance.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

The funniest thing about the no-call is that if instead of delivering the hit he had just kind of stopped where he was, the ball would have bounced harmlessly off of his back anyway

Or if he'd been aware of the ball at all he's got a good chance at a pick 6.

Brees was noticeably bad on that drive, even the long completion should have been intercepted or at the least batted down. He also short hopped it to Michael Thomas when they were trying to throw a safe pass on an easy slant.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The neutral zone call was bullshit.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Woooo no London

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

still in awe of that blown DPI

Nov 6, 2002

Peter King posted:

As soon as this call got made, I heard from a couple of acquaintances/sources about the impact of it. “Al Riveron [EVP of Officiating] is gone,” one said. “He can’t survive this.” Another said the league will have to pay big to bring back Dean Blandino or Mike Pereira (less likely). I think Riveron was on thin ice before Sunday. What the NFL should do, if it decides to dump Riveron, is pay realistic money to get Blandino back from his cushy gig at FOX. He’s a trusted and trustworthy guy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That's the second worst blown call in the recent history of the NFL. The only one worse was the picked up DPI flag against the Cowboys against the Lions, because THEY ORIGINALLY FLAGGED IT.

(Fail Mary is #3, and only gets knocked down because it wasn't the full time refs)

Nov 6, 2002

Have the Rams built up a fan base that will actually travel to Atlanta in significant numbers?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah the ot rules are garbage. i don't think anyone doubted the outcome of the super bowl or last night's game once they went to overtime.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Have the Rams built up a fan base that will actually travel to Atlanta in significant numbers?

Probably not, but it's not fans that attend the Superbowl anyway

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah the ot rules are garbage. i don't think anyone doubted the outcome of the super bowl or last night's game once they went to overtime.

If the Chiefs defense is so pathetic they couldnt force a field goal, they deserve to lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Intruder posted:

Probably not, but it's not fans that attend the Superbowl anyway

It was definitely mostly Eagles fans last year.