Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
madjack is a good dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Wildtortilla posted:

Is there a map in this game? Been watching some gameplay on YouTube and I haven't seen a map or a minimap in any of it. I am terrible at navigating in games without maps. :(

And tab on PC I think?

It's a really good map, you shouldn't get lost. The individual floors are really small.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Just grabbed this on switch. Really charming so far but I feel there is a lot of “game” to get into that I currently don’t understand. How hand holds is the game at first? I just played the tutorial floors and a bit past that but I feel like it’s probably pretty open after that, but I’ve seen you can tame monsters online and I can’t see how to do that in game. It’s introduced later or I’m missing something?

Also with meta progression is it strictly limited to depositing gold and items in the bank? I’m always horrible at knowing when to sell/craft/deposit or disenchant in these kind of games. Any “before I play” style tips (deposit when you get an item above this level to make it easier!) so I don’t regret dumb decisions down the line?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

teacup posted:

Just grabbed this on switch. Really charming so far but I feel there is a lot of “game” to get into that I currently don’t understand. How hand holds is the game at first? I just played the tutorial floors and a bit past that but I feel like it’s probably pretty open after that, but I’ve seen you can tame monsters online and I can’t see how to do that in game. It’s introduced later or I’m missing something?

Also with meta progression is it strictly limited to depositing gold and items in the bank? I’m always horrible at knowing when to sell/craft/deposit or disenchant in these kind of games. Any “before I play” style tips (deposit when you get an item above this level to make it easier!) so I don’t regret dumb decisions down the line?

It introduces monster taming to you fairly quick. I think they make you go to the monster taming area and talk to the person who watches the little monster pit and they give you a monster whacking hammer to go get your very first monster if you want.

You won't mess anything up. Just get in there and start exploring, figure out how the classes work, figure out how items work (such as Item Dreams which you will eventually get introduced to), and then you can start worrying about saving stuff. Maybe you'll get like a super sick item or something, but it doesn't really fit in your current build. stash it!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't actually play the game yet because the eshop is dead and won't let me purchase it but I have a question - what's the best difficulty to start on? Is it the kind of game where you're sorta doing yourself a disservice by not playing on permadeath or is babby mode a good idea for a complete beginner?

I haven't really played that many proper roguelikes so it'll undoubtedly be a lot for me to get into and I'll also probably do really badly at first, if that matters.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

teacup posted:

There is a tutorial for the pets, once you level up to 3 go back to town.

The game isn't hard enough as to need ample knowledge and hard math in what to store in the bank to make possible a win in the next game... nor anything close to that. It's just an optional feature. Just store the late game equipment you see that would be cool for the other classes you aren't playing in that run (a staff if you aren't playing a 'mage', daggers for the brigand, a legendary bow for the hunter, etc) and maybe a pair of good armors. At some point you will see some orbs that are exclusive for some characters, store those too. And when you are about to finish the game, storethe spare money you have.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I can't actually play the game yet because the eshop is dead and won't let me purchase it but I have a question - what's the best difficulty to start on? Is it the kind of game where you're sorta doing yourself a disservice by not playing on permadeath or is babby mode a good idea for a complete beginner?

I haven't really played that many proper roguelikes so it'll undoubtedly be a lot for me to get into and I'll also probably do really badly at first, if that matters.

Permadeath is a funny concept, in the sense it isn't a normal 'hard mode', the modes with Permadeath (Heroic and Hardcore) don't have more enemies, nor tougher enemies, or less resources for you. Just... if you die, you have to start again. So it's more about being careful, not playing risky, be sure you have an escape ability and some spare items that can save you on store...

Personally I played the first time in Adventure, and died three times. When I died the third time, instead of continuing it, I said to myself, 'oh well, that was my fault, and I already saved the character twice. I already experienced enough this job, so let's change' and I decided to start a new character, even if I could have continued it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

They have a recommended mode, and its what I'd say you should use. This game is balanced around you not coming back after you die, in my opinion. If you can die and come back, the game would be trivial. If you really hate losing your progress though, its not the end of the world.

Its called like Adventure or something.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 2, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
yeah I guess I'm just worried I'll start the game, not understand anything, die and have to start over again without having learned anything

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

teacup posted:

It is introduced relatively soon in your progress. The major mechanics of monster ranching and item dreams are handed to you directly. Jorito in town has stuff to tell you about weapon specialties and eventually some higher tier stuff. I don't think we have specific call outs for Langdon and the grove/food cart, but you just go talk to him.

Your Computer posted:

yeah I guess I'm just worried I'll start the game, not understand anything, die and have to start over again without having learned anything
I bet that won't happen. The early areas are really quite straightforward, you may die before you get too deep but you'll have the hang of it. This isn't one of those roguelikes that just throws you in a room surrounded by monsters and wishes you luck.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Had a crash on Switch while talking to the rumour lady. I refused a quest then when she offered a new one the software crashed. Other than that no problems at all!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I stopped playing last night and realized I had no idea if I had to hit a "save and quit" button, so I hope just going to Home menu and quitting the game was ok :ohdear:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I stopped playing last night and realized I had no idea if I had to hit a "save and quit" button, so I hope just going to Home menu and quitting the game was ok :ohdear:
At one point we would save the game with every level transition, but Nintendo kicked us out of cert for that because they had a tester that was so bad that he caused the game to fail the test about not writing to the disk more than X times in 10 minutes. Why? Cause he would die to Dirtbeak, immediately run back up as fast as possible through all the stairs (without preparing!), die in 30 seconds, immediately run back again, die, etc. They told us this was expected and normal gameplay.

Now we only auto-save every five minutes, so blame that guy if you load the game back up and your save is out of date.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that owns lmao

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

eonwe posted:

that owns lmao
It is and was funny, but I was also loving livid because we had passed that particular test in September (some PC back up code was left behind) and here it was December 20th or something and they're failing it again. Our lotcheck liaison was all like "yeah gosh we were surprised too, but the numbers don't lie, and since this game is so intensely difficult we expect many players to do this" what a crock of poo poo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
finally got to play some of this on my Nintendo Switch (decided to go for heroic mode off the bat) and I have a couple of questions

1) I started as a floramancer and because I'm trying to play it safe I often want my pet to initiate combat, is there a faster way to do this other than opening the R2 menu, switching pages, opening the pet menu and selecting initiate? It would be a nice thing to have on the hotbar or something

2) Are there any map options other than pressing '-' ? I only play my switch in handheld and the minimap isn't very mini as it takes up a good third of the screen and the transparent option is very visually distracting for me. I couldn't find any but is there like a proper map screen? I wouldn't mind being able to just open/close the map whenever I need to, but with the minimap that doesn't really work since I'll have to toggle through all the minimap options every time I press '-' :(

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 2, 2019

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

the op posted:

It isn't a game where you are supposed to die 20 times in random ways

Hey can we get this updated, now that the official word is that this is valid expected gameplay?

Game sounds and looks great, this morning I was musing about a new take on a crpg-ish game on the switch so it's a nice surprise it freshly exists. Picking this up once I lighten my backlog a little.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Chronojam posted:

Hey can we get this updated, now that the official word is that this is valid expected gameplay?
That chump died 20 times in a repeatable and deterministic way.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Hey this games pretty fun. I'm up to level 3 as a paladin. I am very happy to have a game like this on a handheld device. :)

I found a cheese loving salamander for which I had a rumor, but I had no cheese so I killed it. :(

Anyway, it seems to be a fun game so far and I wish I could sit on the couch all day with it!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

Hey this games pretty fun. I'm up to level 3 as a paladin. I am very happy to have a game like this on a handheld device. :)

I found a cheese loving salamander for which I had a rumor, but I had no cheese so I killed it. :(

Anyway, it seems to be a fun game so far and I wish I could sit on the couch all day with it!

Monsters that desire a food won't attack normally, you could have ignored it and came back later when you had the cheese.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Monsters that desire a food won't attack normally, you could have ignored it and came back later when you had the cheese.

I'll try that after this character bites it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the first real boss will probably gently caress everyone up the first time

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

madjackmcmad posted:

At one point we would save the game with every level transition, but Nintendo kicked us out of cert for that because they had a tester that was so bad that he caused the game to fail the test about not writing to the disk more than X times in 10 minutes. Why? Cause he would die to Dirtbeak, immediately run back up as fast as possible through all the stairs (without preparing!), die in 30 seconds, immediately run back again, die, etc. They told us this was expected and normal gameplay.

Now we only auto-save every five minutes, so blame that guy if you load the game back up and your save is out of date.

This is hilarious and terrible

Could you patch it in and hope it slides by?

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Your Computer posted:

1) I started as a floramancer and because I'm trying to play it safe I often want my pet to initiate combat, is there a faster way to do this other than opening the R2 menu, switching pages, opening the pet menu and selecting initiate? It would be a nice thing to have on the hotbar or something

Also interested in if there's a faster way to do this than ZR>B>Select Pet>Initiate Combat>Select Target, especially for the turret plant which seems to be less aggressive in starting fights.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Circle Nine posted:

Also interested in if there's a faster way to do this than ZR>B>Select Pet>Initiate Combat>Select Target, especially for the turret plant which seems to be less aggressive in starting fights.

Seconding this and adding something to it. When you open the pet menu from the radial menu, it closes the map if it's open. I thought I was going nuts with the map disappearing until I realized what is happening.

Edit: something else is making the map disappear too. I'm trying to figure out what's doing it.

Edit 2: unrelated to the map. When looking at a new accessory to equip, the game only compares the unequipped accessory to the item in accessory slot 1. Can a comparison be shown for both slots?

If it sounds like all I have are bitches it's not true! I really like this game and haven't been this into a RL since Dungeonmans, which I love very much!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 3, 2019

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Even on pc most of the time I don't bother in giving the individual initiate attack order. I just fire at range attracting the enemy and then retreat a pair of tiles, that's usually enough for the pet to engage him. And sometimes when the pet is far away the order doesn't seem to work, in any case.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've played it a couple more hours (game good) but if I had just one wish I really, really wish the map was better in handheld on the Switch. At least just a button to turn on/off map instead of toggling between the different map options.

eonwe posted:

the first real boss will probably gently caress everyone up the first time
is it Dirtbeak or did that not count as a real boss? :ohdear:

I think I may have overleveled or maybe Floramancer is just easy mode because he blew up before I could really figure out what's going on

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe he was referring to the next one, Dirt counts as a tutorial boss? In any case I also beat the following boss on the first try, some Memory kings are harder than him.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This game melted the past two hours! I am still rolling my starter paladin and I just got to a bandit hide out. Is this still part of the tutorial area?

I almost have enough JP to buy my last Paladin skill. I'm pumped to think about figuring out another job to combine with paladin. Great game so far and I never want to play another roguelike on my PC again. :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Maybe he was referring to the next one, Dirt counts as a tutorial boss? In any case I also beat the following boss on the first try, some Memory kings are harder than him.
most of the bosses are much easier than the kings/champions you'll find in the same areas. The final boss run is a bit tougher but still not too bad.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm really digging a paladin style super defensive build. Get your paladin block talents that heal you, the +parry sword skill, the +parry blade-whatever skill, and get the edge thane song that heals you for blowing through energy at lv. 3, and a holy symbol thing. At the end of the day I just sit there and mash auto attack and I keep on getting healed for so much health. I feel like the health game is more about economics and having a 30 energy echo orb means you can get healed off of about 4 blocks, which each heal me for about 8%.

I'm excited to die though and play a mage!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Re: moving, I want the left stick (which I literally never use) to be confirmed every move so that the right stick can be free move no confirming, which I instantly turned on because gently caress holding A.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Wildtortilla posted:

This game melted the past two hours! I am still rolling my starter paladin and I just got to a bandit hide out. Is this still part of the tutorial area?

I almost have enough JP to buy my last Paladin skill. I'm pumped to think about figuring out another job to combine with paladin. Great game so far and I never want to play another roguelike on my PC again. :)
Tutorial was like the first two floors. You've been in the main game since!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I opened up Dream Worlds at the end of playing last night. I also happened to find a killer mace for sale in town at the same time. I'm planning to go into the item world of the mace at lunch time. Will I still have the mace equipped in the item world? I have no back up melee weapon currently.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

I opened up Dream Worlds at the end of playing last night. I also happened to find a killer mace for sale in town at the same time. I'm planning to go into the item world of the mace at lunch time. Will I still have the mace equipped in the item world? I have no back up melee weapon currently.

No. Which imo is a nice little aspect of the game, balance-wise: because you won't have available the item you want to upgrade, and usually you are going to try to upgrade your best items, it's a small extra difficulty you will have in the dream dungeon (not having your best armor, or sword, or whatever).

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

No. Which imo is a nice little aspect of the game, balance-wise: because you won't have available the item you want to upgrade, and usually you are going to try to upgrade your best items, it's a small extra difficulty you will have in the dream dungeon (not having your best armor, or sword, or whatever).

Unless you play Budoka :smug:

For real though Budoka is badass. I just wish the energy beam shot in a line instead of having to target exactly 3 squares away in a cardinal/intercardinal direction

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If I loved the poo poo out of Dungeons of Dredmor, will I enjoy this? I'd be playing it on Switch, if that makes a difference.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I bounced off dungeons of dredmor but love this so far. I'd say it's a fair bit more accessible (read: easier), esp if you have the whole "don't fuckin' just mash buttons, make every turn count" fundamentals down. The classes are fun, the graphics and music are good. Definitely worth your $20

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Not a Children posted:

I bounced off dungeons of dredmor but love this so far. I'd say it's a fair bit more accessible (read: easier), esp if you have the whole "don't fuckin' just mash buttons, make every turn count" fundamentals down. The classes are fun, the graphics and music are good. Definitely worth your $20

Cool. Yeah, I actually loved just how much stuff was in Dredmor, even if a lot of it was not anything I'd use. I see from the OP that there aren't like 1000 weapons, and that's fine. I just want a deep experience that I can really dig into, and this looks good. It was between this and Wargroove, and I think this just won out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Cool. Yeah, I actually loved just how much stuff was in Dredmor, even if a lot of it was not anything I'd use. I see from the OP that there aren't like 1000 weapons, and that's fine. I just want a deep experience that I can really dig into, and this looks good. It was between this and Wargroove, and I think this just won out.

I had it down to Wargroove or Tangledeep and chose this. I'm pleased with my decision. I have Into the Breach to satisfy my turn based tile strategy urges. I've been into Roguelikes since trying Crawl eight years ago and have always hated being tethered to my computer to play them. I'm enjoying my liberation from my PC. Playing a game like this while laying in bed is a treat.