Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
Acebuckeye is a boss and let us look at the map on his twitch while we held a discussion on terrain and features.

Tonight we'll discuss distribution of forces and positioning. Use Hypnobeard's gracious TOE for 'I wanna command this'. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...dit?usp=sharing

I intend to make decisions in at least the deployment phase as discussions over voice (and looking at video again, hopefully) so that we are all on the same page and get to be heard.

Last night at 11 EST seemed to work well. Voice server and all the needed links are on the discord. If you need the time to change, say so in discord or post that here.

Based on last night's discussion, here is the situation:

Situation:
Enemy Forces:
Unknown elements of the 2nd SS Panzer. Possibly include Panthers, Tigers, StuG's, and Panzergrenadiers. Other attached forces are possible. Strength unknown.
Enemy Capabilities and Limitations:
Defense: We sit on the line of communications between the northern and southern extent of the forces surrounding Mortain. The enemy is unlikely to be obliged to defend any ground because we're already sitting on the critical location
Likely Course of Action: Enemy advances from either NE or SE from Highway 3, consider SE more likely. Expect armor assault along Highway 2 from the south with infantry support. Expect second axis of advance along highway 3 to the north in order to target the abbey with armor and accompanying infantry to attempt a breach.
Most Dangerous Course of Action: if the enemy begins in the NE or flanks around and passes to the west of the forest and bocage to the west of the rail line their armor will have clear fields of fire all the way down to the rail bridge. This would allow them to establish fire superiority across much of our area, with no good cover until the railroad.

Friendly Forces:
Higher mission and intent:
Our position between highway 2 and 3 prevents clear lines of communications for the 2nd SS as it attempts to envelop the 30th Infantry on the high ground outside Mortain. Our presence prevents the Germans from coordinating to isolate hill 314, and the boys on Hill 314 prevent the enemy from using the Mortain roads to advance to Avranches, where they would effectively cut off the entire Third Army in Brittany. First Army intends to advance on the right flank of the counterattack and envelop what appears the be the last effective group of reserves between here and the river Seine. If the enemy manages to break through here it will deprive Allied forces of the initiative in Normandy as we will be forced to react to relieve Third Army. Our forces must deny the enemy the use of those highways which are critical to their maneuver and communications against Hill 314.

Adjacent Units:
Other elements of the 30th Infantry with the attached 746th Tank Battalion to our rear

Support:
ULTRA intercepted the German orders to attack, all the way from their general HQ. The entire 9th Air Force USAF and 2nd Tactical Air Force RAF have been committed to stopping the counterattack. Rocket equipped fighter-bombers and medium bombers are possible support, but we won't know until the fog clears and Luftwaffe has its say about where they can go.

Attachments:
We have two platoons of the 823rd TD, with 76mm AT guns, and 2 .50 and 2 .30 MG's from battalion.

Civil/Terrain considerations:
The abbey wall is impassible without being blown up by HE. The bocage offers los and firing to units right next to it, but must be breached to pass. The railroad is in a depression that breaks forest cover. The river in the south is impassible and the forest to the west provides clear fields of fire on highway 2 as it approaches the abbey to the south. The heavy forest and bocage to the north of the village provides good fields of fire along the north of highway 3. Finally, the abbey's top floor provide fields of fire on nearly the entire area, but are equally vulnerable to pot shots from armor..

Oh, and this is an 800 year old abbey. I'd prefer not to have to explain to the Colonel why the General got a very angry message from De Gaulle.

Once again, please join us on discord as we discuss the positioning of forces and command and control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
!!! ORDERS !!!

3 Platoon, F Cpy
Lt. Gay Hitler

your mission is to
1.secure bridge over the railroad
2. provide support to the AT guns in the forest to your north
3. To the extent possible, assist scouting and provide eyes over the highways
The yellow area indicates your intended position. You may also deploy scout teams to the blue area if you find it expedient
Your center of gravity must remain close enough to the bridge to deny its use to the enemy. Seek to exploit morale effects of mines, indirect fires, and supporting fires to maximize disruption of the enemy attack. The 823rd TD position to your north represents most of our ability to contest the enemy's actions, so protecting their position is critical to your survival. Without them the enemy has a nearly free hand to concentrate, and your position becomes much harder to defend. If overwhelmed, retreat to the rail line and hold it long enough to allow redeployment of forces farther south.

The AT guns will be to your immediate north, with a detached machine gun and the F cpy XO. They may require your support. Other units will be across the rail line to your south
We expect the enemy to approach your position from the north and east along Hwy 3
AT mines will be deployed on the railroad bridge. Be sure that your bazooka is able to cover the railroad bridge if and when the enemy might wish to use it.
You have 7 foxholes to deploy

B Company 823rd TD
Capt. Bacarruda

you must engage enemy armor (and infantry, too) from the north of the battlefield to the middle. You must balance the risk of enemy artillery against the need to concentrate your fire, so positioning is critical here. You must also be able to respond to an enemy sweep around to the north and west.
Your guns represent our only ability to deny the enemy free movement over large areas of the map. Our operational plan requires disrupting enemy movement and denying them the ability to concentrate for a decisive assault. Therefore your center of gravity must not shift from a position that provides lines of fire to the highways. To the extent possible seek to exploit the enemy's constrained movement by destroying leading units of vehicles on roads, suppressing infantry, etc. It is more useful to suppress or delay 1/3 of the enemy force than to destroy 1/5 of it today.

The company XO is detached to your control. There will be at least 1 MG deployed to your position.
Expect supporting fire from 3 platoon to your south.
You have 5 foxholes

2 Platoon F Company
Lt Comstar

2 platoon F company is to deploy in the abbey and be ready to repel an assault on the walls. Detach scouts and set up an observation post in the woods to the east
Highly suggest you not hang out in the upper floors of the abbey long term to avoid panther potshots
there will be AP mines in the woods to the north of the abbey, and 1 platoon will be immediately to your south

Your force must be able to contest a direct attack on the abbey from the west. You also will be the closest thing we have to a reserve, so strive to keep your forces coherent enough to redeploy. To that end, your center of gravity should be close to or inside the abbey, but your fields of fire should extend far enough north to engage enemy infantry should they emerge from the forests and into the town. Your scouts are also critical to our ability to see into blind spots hidden from our forces in the north or farther to the south, so effective scouting will be critical from your forces. Remember that the Abbey wall is impassible unless it gets blown up by HE.

AT Platoon F company
Lt Acebuckeye13

Your mission is to defend the south bridge at the abbey and the southern flank of the abbey. Choosing your position to force the enemy to engage you at a short range and possibly with flanks presented will be critical. Have contingency positions chosen if the enemy overwhelms the north so that you can wheel around to target the rail bridge road. Finally, if the abbey position is compromised your position will be the anchor of our fallback line. Your center of gravity will therefore need to be concentrated and solid. Effectively coordinating with 1 Platoon to your north at the abbey will allow you to force the enemy to present flanks to either your position or theirs. Expect at least 1 MG near your position.

Because your jeep goes fast, vroom vroom, the FO is detached to your command. He is to start in the Very Fine House, but you may need to quickly redeploy him as the battle evolves. Indirect fire needs to deprive the enemy of mobility and therefore the opportunity to concentrate for a decisive attack.

You have 4 foxholes

1 Platoon F Company
Lt. Hypnobeard

you are to repel attacks on the south bridge by the abbey with support from the 57mm AT guns. Getting sweet, sweet side shots on those German tanks may require creative positioning between the abbey, the houses along the road, and the woods. You can shift your center of gravity to exploit enemy vulnerability, but should try to keep open the ability to shift into the abbey if 2 platoon needs to redeploy. I expect you to coordinate closely with Acebuckeye13 of the AT platoon, if you attack together you can guarantee flanking fire on the enemy. You are also responsible for keeping the treeline of the forest immediately south of the abbey clear of enemy infantry that might be able to engage the AT platoon.

You have 5 foxholes

Weapons Platoon, F Company
Lt Generation Internet

No map for you, sorry.

Your mission will be first to suppress as much infantry as you can and second to dissuade enemy infantry from rushing our AT gun positions. Deploy your .50 MG's in a position to support the 823rd TD in the north. Having similar fields of fire to the AT guns would be nice, so that you can target halftracks while they target armor. Your .30 MG's should be able to support the AT platoon in the south, as well as be able to redeploy to cover the town or Abbey. There are positions that would work nicely both along the town and in the abbey itself for this task. Try not to present an easy target for German tank potshots. It is less important to concentrate your fire in the abbey area than it is in the north. Remember that your jeep can facilitate tactical redeployment of your MG teams.

You have discretion as to where to deploy the mortars.

You have 4 foxholes

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
For the observers, mostly:

We are pondering moving some machine guns to better engage the enemy (potentially poking some .50's in the north and moving the far south .30 to the abbey) and have drawn up contengencies to contain German infantry in the central low forest with fire from the north and south and giving them mortars all day every day.

We are not, however, convinced we see the entirety of the German deployment at this time, and intend to wait until we see a demonstration of commitment in some direction before we reassign assets.

Accordingly, orders to all commanders at this time are to fight your positions.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
***Orders***

Northern positions: I'd prefer not to reveal our HMG's yet, so don't move this round. Try to deal with machine guns in houses with HE for now. Have a plan for bringing a HMG to bear on those houses though.

Center/Comstar: put those scouts in for a Bronze Star. Maybe consider when the house position is too established, and they need to pull back to keep eyes on. Be developing a plan for protecting your forces in the Abbey if assault guns start shooting them.

South: let's try to extend our eyesight in the far south. Otherwise, I sense a push coming. Good hunting.

I've been more guilty of this than anyone, but a reminder by way of penance and mea culpa: please put your orders in this thread. It is the source of record for inputting.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
Updated orders:

call in mortar fire mission, linear, on the forest in the middle of the enemy formation where all those infantry contacts are.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
It has been brought to my attention that the CO does not have eyes to call in that fire mission.

Therefore, HabeasDorkus, please call in a mission among the assembling German infantry with the intent to disrupt their movement and coherence.

You have discretion for up to 2 tubes for a medium mission or 4 tubes for a short mission. Intensity is up to your discretion.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
Orders:

1st Platoon, Hypnobeard:
You are authorized to move your 3rd Squad NE to the other forest if you wish. We still want them to be deployed in ambush and flank the enemy as they emerge from the forest/road. If you feel that is better accomplished that way, go ahead. We're unlikely to be able to move bazookas through the south forest into the east forest by the road uncontested, so while the repositioning is good for the support of the center abbey, that is a secondary consideration.

2nd Platoon, Comstar:
Excellent work with the scouts. When you can no longer maintain eyes on their current position, withdraw scouts to warn of approaches in the forest east of the abbey. Those houses look nice.

Also: Prepare a plan to move one squad (ideally the one without a bazooka) to the stand of trees northwest of the abbey. You may want to split and also occupy a house in town. Their mission will be to contain German infantry in the central forest north of the Abbey. They will be supported by one .30 MG. I'll let you know when to execute.

3rd Platoon, Gay Hitler:
Excellent scouting so far. You really just need to fight your positions.

Understand that we're having a contest right now of who can sling more weight of fire downrange, and the first person to duck for cover loses. You have the advantage of excellent defensive terrain, but I need you thinking about how to maximize your output without breaking cover because those AT guns can't kill AFV's from half a kilometer away if they're busy eating dirt.

AT Platoon, Acebuckeye13: Watch and wait. The first vehicles should be along in the next turn or 3. Thanks so much for your work in inputting.

3in 1 Platoon, Bacarruda:
Excellent kill. Carry on.

3in 2 Platoon, Habeas Dorkus:
I've no idea if that magic keyhole will work, but if it does take the shot! Otherwise or after that, carry on with your reposition give priority to a few HE rounds on those German houses over anything smaller than a StuG.

Weapons Platoon, Generation Internet: Begin moving one of the .30 cals to a position to contain the center forest. Also, look to get both .50's in action in the north.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
Additional orders:

CO to call in linear fire mission on the fence the Germans are setting up on. 2 tubes, heavy intensity, short duration.

If he can't see to do that pass it on to someone who can.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
Alright gents, we're already set up to engage enemies to the north. This may get bad, but we have to see what's coming first.

In the north: make sure you're not caught with your pants down. Do what you need to to get your men into cover.

I'm laying smoke from our mortars on the ridge just in case- I'll likely cancel but if we need to move it'll hurt to wait 6 mins.

Not for this turn: start making plans to fall back to the rail line. We will do so in bounds, using houses for cover. We will move one element at a time to maintain volume of fire, and deploy smoke to break LoS. Be thinking of your path, and cover to bound to.

The Abbey: Comstar, the enemy has fallen into your jaws. This may induce him to bring up those StuGs to displace you. Please ensure your scouts will give you warning of this. We'll see what happens, but I suspect popping around the Abbey will frustrate their efforts.

The South: your postions look good to me. Try not to reveal yourselves until your fire is the most effective.

Ace: I've lost track of which radio is free, so give me a linear smoke mission with the free tube, right to the SE of the ridge, to break contact.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

got some bad news about that: our 60mm mortars don't got smoke. Some of our infantry should have smoke grenades, however.

Derp. Let's do linear, short, heavy from just behind the houses to where the sound contacts stop then, please.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
*emergency orders update*

Combat Mission is coded by lazy, inept grognards, so you can't run back to a gun once you've run away from it. Because of course you can't. This means we no longer have the firepower to even attempt to hang on on the ridge. We're breaking contact.

To Gay Hitler, Habeas Dorkus, Bacarruda:

Every one of your pixelmen units has the ability to pop smoke. To do this you'll need to give a facing and then a "pop smoke" order. I need you all to toss smoke to break contact with the Germans in the center of the map.

You may need individual groups to rush forward to toss smoke. Ideally we'd like to recover the still functional gun for use against the north.

Ace was nice enough to give us a picture of 'where not to be' with those black lines. You'll need to decide which units can make it to the rail bridge and which need to scatter farther north into the ridge.

To Generation Internet: Your .50's are going to need to provide cover fire for this movement. Smoke is good, but smoke plus a reason to keep your head down is better. Plus, you may kill more halftracks as a bonus! Be ready to shoot and scoot as seems appropriate to you.

Bring the trucks near to the hwy2 bridge at the abbey to load 1 platoon and redeploy to the town. Since you have the game, I'll depend on you to figure out how to minimize exposure to German fire.

To AceBuckeye13:

limber one of your guns and move it to a position to support the rail bridge. Use the jeep. (I think Jeeps do this. If they don't I totally meant you're detached one truck).

Still give me the new linear mortar strike from the last post if that is possible at this point. If not, that's cool.

CO sits still if he needs to in order to call in his strike, otherwise he pops smoke and scatters north when the smoke is established.

To Comstar:
I'll need you to shift your scouts farther south to cover 1 platoon's redeployment. Otherwise, keep on killing.

To Hypnobeard:
Start pulling your squads back into the Abbey. I intend to redeploy most or all of your unit to the rail bridge. Expect to board trucks west of the Hwy2 bridge next turn or the one after. Unless the motors to the north are clown cars, I suspect having at least one bazooka near the bridge will be very important, and 3 platoon's is quite far north and about 8 German MG's away.

Thank you again for bearing with me folks.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
*ORDERS*

Northern area: We're still breaking contact on this ridge. My intention is to leave spotting and radios behind because these sight lines are beautiful. This means we'll need to defend the north ridge from enemy efforts to dislodge us, which may now come from either direction (although from the south it'd be a long charge across a kill zone). I want everyone to break contact and move to rally points, try to let your pixelmen rest within command radius to try and relax a little.

3rd Platoon, Gay Hitler: We're too drat valuable here on the ridge calling down mortars and even eventually aircraft into the enemy's assembly areas. Your teams on the ridge are to assemble and rest a few mins out of enemy fire. Their mission will be to prevent the enemy in the northwest that just showed up from dislodging our ability to spot and call in support from the ridge. You'll need to identify a rally point for the purpose of resting and redressing your formations, and then pick your fighting positions. It seems like you have the game, so careful examination of positions that will allow the forces near the rail bridge to offer support would be excellent. You have discretion as to which teams are in a position to rally to the north. Any which are not are to either support the HW teams at the southern point of the ridge or the rail bridge.

823 TD detachment: You're no longer effective up on the ridge. Use smoke as you can to help still suppressed and under fire teams, and move to a rally point. For the next little while you'll be a reserve for 3rd platoon. Once the tanks arrive we intend on moving them to a position in the middle that can fire on the houses and fence, and the mortars will have had time to do their work. Once that happens I want your remaining infantry to move south of the rail bridge and in to the forest immediately north of the abbey. Their carbines and SMG's will still be useful to us there. The tanks are arriving turn after next, and will likely take one additional turn to get into position, so be prepared to move out in 3 turns. Meanwhile, we have infantry reinforcements arriving on foot on the Le Pilon road. I want your trucks to meet them when they arrive and give them a ride to the south side of the rail bridge. They can likely then be used to give a ride to the remainder of your men. Oh, and you've been decimated by bad programming and enemy fire, so you get first pick on reinforcements.

823 B 1 Platoon, Bacarruda: You're the proud owner of our one remaining 3in gun. It's task remains the defense of the rail bridge. Ace is moving a 57mm gun north to support your position. The incoming infantry platoon is also going to be deployed at least partially in defense of the rail bridge. Prepare to receive the enemy, and ponder how to use your HQ to call support if it needs to.

823 B 2 Platoon, Habeas Dorkus: Welp, your guns are gone. Combat Mission! :arghfist::raise: Also, your commander is dead. Yay! Get your guys to a safe rally point and prepare to move them out. And select your reinforcement command.

Oh, and a speedy recovery to your family member and patience and serenity to you while you help them. Just let us know if you need to back off your input to this play by forum grog game.

Middle Area: We're fairly weak here right now, but the Abbey is a commanding strongpoint. I intend to reinforce this area with the non-bazooka squad of the reinforcements and the infantry remains of the 823rd TD detachment. We'll also be adding at least one tank to take shots at those darn houses.

2nd Platoon, Comstar: You're doing great work so far. I'm giving you command of our 1 available mortar tube this turn. Hypnobeard's HQ has LoS for a strike on the Germans engaging your scout, so convey your desires to Hypnobeard as to what you need. I'm having a .30 join you in the abbey.

HW Platoon, Generation Internet: I'd like your .50 in the north to target the houses, since the mortars will be encouraging the fence to put their heads down. Both .50's are taking fire, it looks like. A reminder that you have discretion regarding when to scoot if it is needed. If you would, please state your intention for the .50's either in the discord or in the next orders post. I'm worried that your undeployed .50 is in a position where it will take fire from the rear if and when it needs to engage the Germans to the NE. Also, the arrival of the tanks to the south makes the volume of .50 fire on the houses and fence less important when the tanks arrive. I'd like you to scope out positions that allow them to (in order of importance):
1. Support the rail bridge and 3in gun
2. Stay out of the sights of the center west German force
3. Support 3rd Platoon to the N if the enemy assaults the ridge from the NE.

Depending on the situation we may want to shift one or both when the tanks arrive.

Move the southernmost .30 into the Abbey. Write contingencies in your orders to have them sprint to cover if our scouts see armor about to round highway 2 while they're in the open.

Southern Area: The tanks change things here as well. We're going to lay a trap for German armor on the highway and contest the forest against infantry. I intend for 1 platoon to hold the forest and thereby threaten the Abbey road with their bazookas. This will force the Germans to both commit infantry to the south to fix those forces, and concentrate those units into a juicy support fire target. If the enemy wants to move armor down Hwy 2 without holding that forest with infantry, we'll let them approach the abbey, hopefully even into the mines, and then spring bazookas and tanks on them.

1st Platoon, Hypnobeard: 2nd and 3rd squad are to take positions in the forest south of the Abbey. Remember to add contingencies to sprint for cover if German Armor is spotted heading in while your men are in the open. If the enemy does gain fire superiority (and the PG's SMG's will help them at the ranges you're likely to be fighting) I intend your units to withdraw against the Abbey wall, where your 1st squad can offer support. Be aware that the importance of holding that position may change as the battle progresses, so the threshold for retreating may change as time goes on.

Finally, regarding reinforcements:

I have two thoughts regarding how to change things. One is to attach the remaining 3in to the organic AT guns (57's) and then have the tanks and the infantry platoon as reinforcement commands.

The other is to create ad hoc 'geographic' groups by detaching assets so as to create 3 commands. Those would be:

1. Rail bridge command, with Bacarruda's HQ, 1 and 2 squads of the reinforcement platoon, Bac's 3in and ammo bearers, and one of the 57's.
2. Central forest command, with the reinforcing platoon's HQ, the remaining soldiers of Habeas Dorkus' unit, the other .57, and 3 squad of the reinforcing platoon
3. The tanks

Or let me know if you see a better arrangement.

Let me know what you think. This is a 'what's more fun to play' question, so I need your input.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
HQ elements

CO is to hold fire once his spotting is done.

XO is to move down one floor, and hurl taunts at the Germans regarding their questionable heritage.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
Attention!

If you want to command reinforcements, it's time to say so now.

Bacarruda gets first dibs because the guns got CM'd hardcore, and Habeas Dorkus has had to bow out temporarily.

Post here or say something in discord, but ya gots ta pipe up before the turn deadline.

Or else I'm letting my cat command them.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
*Orders*

1. Command Shifts:

Habeas Dorkus has stepped out.

Generation Internet now controls the remaining AT assets, including the entire organic AT platoon and it's HQ and jeep, and the 3 in and it's nearby HQ and bearer teams. The teams associated with the other guns that are now destroyed are not.

Acebuckeye13 now controls the reinforcing infantry platoon. In addition, I'm detaching the trucks formerly associated with the 3in platoons to your command. Try not to get them all blown up, but their ammo is now less critical given the ratio of alive bearer teams to alive guns.

Bacarruda now commands the tank platoon reinforcing.

Gay Hitler now commands all units on the ridge, to include the gunless AT gun teams, ammo bearers, the CO, and every surly french squirrel willing to toss nuts at the Germans.

2. Deployment of reinforcements

Acebuckeye13 you have command of the trucks to speed the deployment of your platoon. Use them only if the danger of magic German panzer LoS is acceptable.

You are to move the infantry east upon it's arrival. Once the tanks have arrived and are about to engage the panzers up in the north, you have discretion as to whether to use them to increase your platoon's mobility. In either case, the platoon is to head to the trees west of the abbey to assemble.

Eventual deployment depends on how the battle goes. If it goes well and the panzers are suppressed soon, we'll use them in the central forest to enact a double envelopment by giving ground on either side of the abbey and then flanking with armor. If it all goes terrible up north they'll be deployed around the rail bridge. In the most likely in between case, we'll react to the enemy's axis of advance.

If you determine the platoon are sitting ducks, you should advance using the town and rail line as cover to the north and deploy along the town and rail line depression. In this case the north is well and truly lost, and you'll be needed there anyway.

Finally, as the FO you have all free tubes to suppress those goddamn german PG's in the north before they kill our 3in gun with suppression. Use whatever mission you deem likely to be most effective.

Bacarruda, your tanks are going to be immediately needed to engage the panzers looking down the long, crazy LoS in the north. You have full discretion to maneuver however you feel appropriate to engage them. A reminder: this is exactly the worst way for you to be engaging German armor- head on at long distance. Keep your tanks together and try to land the first, second, and third shot before they can shoot you.

If you by some miracle manage to destroy or drive off the panzer threatening most of the map, you are to proceed to the assembly area and possibly take shots at the huns in those goddamn houses.

3. Other formation orders

Generation Internet you now control all towed at assets (except the trucks and orphaned teams). Do your best to integrate them into the other heavy weapons positions. Also, the southernmost .30 is just kinda by itself right now. I'd prefer it move towards the abbey to help with fire superiority there. Otherwise, do everything you can to put some fire on the german infantry suppressing your AT gun by the bridge. Remember that your bearer teams have rifles too, and giving the 3in enough of a break to aim some shots right now is VERY important.

Keep your mortars firing. I really doubt the panzer can see you, we're gonna give him reasons to stay buttoned up, there's a bazooka this min and tanks coming the next min, and most of all, we really need those tubes working overtime right now. Good luck.

Gay Hitler We're in another emergency situation here, where putting any fire we can on the German infantry in the northern hedgerows is critical to give the AT gun enough time to get off a shot or two. Accordingly, you now have command of everything on the ridge that isn't one of GI's machine gun teams. Anyone who can be put into a position to shoot those germans (i.e. not the detached squads way out to the east) should get to a position where they can ASAP and start shooting. The only exception is the bazooka, who needs to take that glorious shot on the panzer.

Comstar That was a tough turn for you. Your responsibilities remain the same, change positions and/or disperse your teams to respond to the threat as you see fit.

Hypnobeard complete your movement into the forest.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
Ok, here we go. Doin' my best here.

ORDERS

Gay Hitler
Well, that was ugly. You now get to decide which of your forces are best used keeping their heads down and providing vision and which are going to high tail it south of the rail line. The little copse of trees where one of the .50's initially set up and the village houses both seem like decent safe zones. Your goal should be to 1. Withdraw as many troops now exposed without AT support north of the rail line as possible and 2. Hopefully break contact and find your units a place to calm down away from bullets whizzing overhead. The north is now a cluster of tanks and your bazooka got screwed, but we still need your command. We may be counterattacking the Germans in the town after some tank on tank action, and we may be transferring you to support the abbey. Or something we don't see right now. In all cases, the more of your command that you can successfully withdraw south of the rail line the better our position is.

Generation Internet

Watch that .30 in the middle. I don't like that StuG looking at it.

Otherwise: your AT guns are in a difficult position. We'd prefer them to be in a position to shoot at the panzers in the north, but we probably need them to concentrate to be effective. With all those Panzer IV's around, I'd prefer we get two shots on a tank. I think that starts by getting your limbered gun over to the other one. Do try your best only to move if the Shermans are currently preventing panzers from blowing up your limbered gun. You are authorized to requisition one of the trucks if you can use it. The way I envision it, your AT guns can take shots at half-tracks that dare cross towards the ridge before they concentrate, hunt StuG's once they concentrate, and then possibly relieve the Shermans of watching the high ground in the north if they tear things up.

Acebuckeye13 let your men catch their breath as you deem advisable, and occupy strong positions in the town to deny the enemy use of the rail bridge. Do what you can to provide cover to Gay Hitler as his forces retreat. Shake out your forces into their fighting configurations as well.

Comstar Party continues on the first floor! Carefully consider how to keep your forces out of the reach of those damned half track guns. We'll give them a little shock this turn.

Hypnobeard Lets see if we can convince the enemy to reallocate those StuG's. shake out into fighting configurations, and engage the enemy for 2 mins. Remember the poor bazooka of 3rd platoon- don't let your AT guys get plastered because an MG started shooting near them. Target-armor is your friend. On the 3rd turn toss smoke at the enemy, maybe do your best to make it look like you're covering for vehicles about to round the bend on hwy 2. Next turn we'll likely want you to withdraw. If you see any big bads (like a StuG covering your forest line) withdraw.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
Emergency stand in orders for the tanks:

First turn
rear two tanks are to area target BLACK circles
front tank is to area target house in RED circle
Second turn:
front tank is to proceed to BLUE area and nudge into LoS to shoot the StuG, as pictured:

Finally, at the end of the third turn(if possible) the two rear tanks are to place a SMOKE shot on the two gray over black circles. If not possible, just keep shootin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
*orders: Brrap brrap pew pew*

General Orders: apparently pixelmans in this game only return fire if they can make out the unit patches on the people firing on them. Therefore, America expects each commander to pick at least one area target order, because it's the only way to get us to return fire/apply suppressing fire.

Gay Hitler: Welp, ouch. Do your best to get whoever survived into a position to recover morale for a bit. If you can, area target orders towards tanks will be much appreciated.

Generation Internet: freaking LoS. Well, that was unexpected. At least the AT gun survives. You need to A. Get that gun to a place to at least recover, and then consider how to get it to a place to engage StuG's. Ideally, we'd coordinate with the Shermans to open fire. I guess do your best to check out which areas have random LoS to german positions in the north. And B:

Meanwhile, your .50 needs to decide which direction to provide suppressing fire. To the north, you may be able to get German infantry to put their heads down, or even German tanks to button up. But beware the temple guards in the Shrine of the Silver Monkey! To the south, your fire could well defeat a German attempt to push into the forest east of the Abbey, and encourage them to step into the wire and mines. Knock out three German squads to open the door to the Observatory! You may wish to write your orders to depend on whether the Germans in the North and/or South make a push, or if both do at once. The choices are yours, and yours alone.

:Acebuckeye: Ok, let's get some area fires on the German tanks, get them to button up. Secondary to that is contributing fire at the German base of fire in the north hedge, with the tanks and the mortars. Ponder whether your happy with where your squads are right now, because it's likely only gonna get harder to move them in subsequent turns.

:Bacarruda: :frogin: choose your area targets. The panzers are likely your biggest threat, so I'd like you to engage the panzers in the north. Remember that you can decline engagement by means of smoke rounds (and fling burning death at infantry). Acebuckeye's map in discord illustrates this point. Do your best to maximize your local numerical advantage in each engagement. Remember also that you can engage at least one StuG, which also means at least one StuG can engage you. Don't leave yourself in a position to be engaged by more than one target at a time.

:Comstar: Area target is now your friend. Do your best to keep your squads away from the boomenhalftracks, but otherwise maximize the number of bullets hitting the Germans trying to push in your sector.

[b]Hypnobeard:
I'm not sure your position is tenable with German armor in your sector. Your call whether to stick around and fling hate at infantry and keep bazooka's shooting at armor targets or to smoke and retreat. If you continue to engage, make use of area target orders on the infantry, and ponder how vulnerable their position is w.r.t. German armor pouring HE hate on them.

On the other hand, if you retreat, do your best to throw smoke first and then retreat south towards the abbey wall.

Goonspeed, American Goons.