Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

This is the American team thread! If you are on the German team, stop reading now! If you’re wondering what this is, see this thread.

L’Abbaye Blanche
August 8, 1944

American Briefing
It’s been two weeks since the smashing success of Operation Cobra and our breakout from Normandy. Since then First Army has pushed south, capturing Avranches and allowing the newly arrived Third Army to spill out into Brittany. It seemed that the Germans were finished in northern France…

…until yesterday, when four panzer divisions of the XLVII Panzer Corp suddenly slammed into the left flank of First Army. This counteroffensive, aimed squarely at VII Corp in the vicinity of the town of Mortain, threatens to penetrate all the way to Avranches and cut off Third Army.

We in the 120th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division find ourselves directly in the path of the 2nd SS “Das Reich” Panzer Division. On August 7th the German armored spearheads threw the regiment into disarray, capturing Mortain and encircling most of 2nd Battalion on Hill 314 to the east. Now the regiment is holding on by a thread in strongpoints around the town. On the northern outskirts 2nd Battalion, F Company holds a salient in the imposing shadow of the 800-year-old Abbaye Blanche. From there, our antitank guns can interdict the two critical highways connecting Mortain and St. Barthelemy. Attempts by 2nd SS Panzer to force the road met with unexpectedly stiff resistance and fell back.

It is now the morning of August 8th. You must take command of this force and fend off renewed attacks aimed at clearing the roadblock. Be warned, the Germans will not underestimate you again! Expect strong formations of armor and mechanized infantry from both north and south of the salient.

Your own forces are thin, but you hold a strong position which you have spent the night fortifying. Make smart use of terrain, internal movement, and fortifications to keep the Germans at bay! The Abbey itself is a dominating position to anchor your perimeter.

American Forces
Your initial force is a company of the 120th Infantry, 2nd Battalion that avoided encirclement on the first day. You are also assigned a detachment from the 823rd Tank Destroyer Bttn (towed).

120th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Battalion
  • F Company (complete)
  • Battalion Anti-Tank Platoon (2x 57mm guns)
823rd Tank Destroyer Battalion (Towed), B Co, 1st and 2nd Platoons (4x 3in guns with trucks)
25x Foxholes
8x Barbed Wire
4x Personnel Mines
3x Antitank mines
1x FO (Regular)

The Ninth Air Force launched intense attacks on the German columns yesterday and will hopefully resume after the morning fog has cleared. The rest of the division is in the area, along with the attached 746th Tank Battalion. Additional forces may arrive as they become available, but the situation is precarious all along the front and we are stretched thin.

The Map!
The map is 1200m x 896m, covering an area just north of Mortain. It’s a real place and not hard to find in google if you’re so inclined!

Here’s the map walkthrough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv6DyAhBV9Q

And an overview of your units and deployment zone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_smYTQ1jC2M

Map conditions are dry and hazy.

Objective
Your goal is to keep the highways interdicted while inflicting heavy casualties on the attacking Germans. You have two objectives: The abbey and a railroad bridge at the north end of town. You will also score points for damage inflicted on the Germans. Be aware that the German objectives are structured differently than yours!

• L’Abbaye Blanche – 150 VP
  • Railroad Bridge – 150VP
  • Enemy Infantry Casualties – 225 VP
  • Enemy Vehicle Casualties – 225 VP
Total VP: 750

Reinforcements
There will be multiple reinforcement waves over the course of the match. I’ll let you know when reinforcements are imminent and reveal what they are at least one update in advance so you have some time to prepare.

Discord: https://discord.gg/AUQQwGd
Ask for the Allies role.

Save File: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gXq_fOC1st9uySHbTQXGy8AtsYOREqBy
Password: hollywood
This file is official. You’ll do your setup in it and turn it over to the Germans.

Orders: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1gGNjT8GFqwLHtLREG0vc9OGMqykbz2praU2L7Gs096s/edit?usp=sharing

Fray fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Centurium offered on discord to lead you all. If anyone else wants to throw their hat in the ring, speak up now!

Figure out your positions and do your setup in the save file. Lets aim to pass the file to the Germans by Friday night.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Try now.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

The question of testing things in-game came up in the German thread. We've been doing it forever cause Grey was pretty laissez faire about it, but I do want to set some boundaries.

Fray posted:

Uuuuh, good question. I've always been a little off on this too despite being on a lot of teams that did it. I suppose since we're changing so much else this match we might as well set a policy on this too. Obviously it's hard to make a one-size-fits-all policy cause some things are much more gamey than others. Like, I don't have a problem with generic tests to see how two groups of tanks fare against each other; CM players do that stuff all the time just to learn the game. So here's my best shot at the issue:

• Don't run turns on the scenario map or try to mimic any specific terrain feature from it in another map. For example don't do bogging tests in a creek or try to mimic the creek elsewhere.
  • Beyond that, I'm comfortable leaving it to individual conscience to decide if something feels fishy.
  • If you're uncertain over whether to do a test, just ask me.

If you test something I'd also like it if you post about it in the thread just so everything's in the open. I might decide something is over the line and say not to do it again, but I won't rip your head off or anything.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Thanks Centurium. For anyone not on Discord, there were some delays due to illness. Let's see if we can get all the orders posted in time to do input this evening. It's not due at any specific time, let's just try to get it done.

The first turn will be 6 minutes or until significant contact. Either inputter can decide when "significant" contact has happened and stop play.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Germans are waiting for at least one person themselves so no need for last minute provisional orders.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders due Jan 25 at 7PM EST

All updates going forward will be three minutes.

Fray fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 24, 2019

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders due in a little under 11 hours! Get them posted ITT!

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders due Jan 27 at 7:00 PM EST

Going forward, please post all orders in this thread! The thread is meant to be the official source for the inputters to work from.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due Thursday, January 31 at 7:00 PM EST.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due Monday, Feb 4 at 7PM EST.

Some soldiers of 3rd Platoon report hearing engines to the north...

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

24 hour extension.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Reinforcements are on deck!

Over the din of German HE shells exploding around it, the radio at F Company HQ crackles to life. Regiment has received your message about a strong enemy attack on your sector, and has prepared a small relief force. They are mustering in Le Pilon and Neufborg and will arrive at 1:10:00. That's the update after next.

120th Infantry, H Company, 2nd Platoon. 2nd and 3rd squads have bazookas.

746th Tank Battalion, B Company, 1st Platoon (3x M4A3(75)W Sherman)

Everything will arrive where shown in these screens.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due Friday February 8 at 7:00PM EST.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders due Tuesday, February 12 at 7PM EST.

Your reinforcements arrive in one minute.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders due Saturday February 16th at 7PM EST.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders due Tuesday February 19 at 7PM EST

Fray fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 19, 2019

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders due Friday February 22 at 8PM EST.

Moving back the deadline an hour to help out North Americans a bit. We're usually starting around that time anyway.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Reinforcements on deck!

The weather has begun to clear, and you faintly hear what must be aircraft in the distance... Your forward observers inform you that close air support should begin arriving over the rest of the morning.

At 0:55:00, you get one P-51 Mustang, with a light bomb loadout. You may direct it using your FO team.

Fray fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 26, 2019

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due Wednesday, February 27 at 8PM EST.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Hypnobeard posted:

Is this still going?

Until you guys tell me otherwise, yes. No deadline yet just cause we don't have inputters this weekend.

Ed: And since yalls' discord has been dead for days I'd like to know if you all want to continue.

Fray fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 2, 2019

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due Monday March 4 at 8PM EST.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

24 hour extension.

If you want to continue the match, then there needs to be more than two order posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Hypnobeard posted:

I got my orders in, I dunno what to say.

Sorry man, but discord is a ghost town. There isn't enough activity to meaningfully sustain the match, so I'm just going to call it. For what it's worth I hope you stick around.

The defense of l'Abbaye Blanche ends in a German win. The main thread is now open to players. There will be a new match before long.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879665