Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

All right. At Fray's poking, I've slapped together a TO&E sheet for us to use for organizing. The only one with an assigned unit currently is Centurium, we'll need to get that sorted out. Sheet is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gGNjT8GFqwLHtLREG0vc9OGMqykbz2praU2L7Gs096s/edit?usp=sharing

We had a productive discussion in voice last night. I think the general consensus was light infantry presence in the abbey with some AT support from across the water onto HW2, infantry presence on the ridge NW of the railroad bridge with possible light AT units, infantry and heavy AT support (whatever's not by the abbey) on the RR bridge objective.

Possible mine deployments included on HW2 near the abbey, some AP mines in the wooded(?) area just north of the abbey on the other side of the stream, and north of the RR bridge on HW2.

Barbed wire and foxhole deployment wasn't discussed beyond possibly some wire on the entrance to the abbey at HW2.

Bare terrain image courtesy of Acebuckeye13, suitable for all your planning needs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Any decisions on the deployment, Centurium?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I don't think we're having the whole division. We're expecting 3ish companies of mixed infantry (panzergrenadiers, probably) and tanks (looking at Panthers, some chance of Tigers). It'll be nasty regardless but not that bad.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

1st Platoon, F Co, 120th Infantry

Foxholes should be set up as indicated by the yellow circles; ensure that HQ section and 2nd platoon sections except for scout team are deployed into the foxholes.

SPLIT scout team from all three squads, then SPLIT remaining squads again.

HQ section
Deployed in foxhole indicated.

1st squad

Scout team: Deploy where indicated. Scout team is to move FAST along path indicated and take up position in edge of woods at location marked with yellow arrow.

A section: With BAR, will deploy on the 2nd floor of the building indicated.

B section: Deploy in the building at the Abbey entrance.

2nd squad

Scout team: Deploy in woods where indicated.

A section: With BAR, deploy in foxholes. Intent is to be as far as possible from wood's edge but still maintain LOS on area south of Abbey, including the bridge.

B section: Deployed in foxholes as A section.

3rd squad
All squads deployed in buildings as indicated.

A section: With BAR.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 21, 2019

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

1st Platoon, F Company

HQ element:

QUICK as indicated to building, once in building go to third floor, face east (toward the Heinies).

1st Squad:

A section: QUICK to building as indicated; occupy 3rd floor on arrival. OK to move outside of building but stay inside the wall if necessary. (I'm not sure if they can move building to building or which would be quicker. Facing as best you can as shown--don't know if there's windows on the east end of the building or not.

B section: QUICK to building as indicated; occupy 2nd floor on arrival. Path to building should stay inside the wall. Face as indicated to best of your ability--see A section.

Scout: MOVE along path indicated, staying below slope. On reaching point marked, HIDE, facing as indicated to the best of your ability. Stay as close to but below any terrain crests.

2nd Squad:

All elements hold position.

3rd Squad:

All elements adjust facing as indicated but otherwise hold position.

Comments:

Ace: When you get around to it I wouldn't mind a bit of a closer examination of the forested hill the Abbey sits behind--maybe during the day tomorrow?

Looks like we've got an infantry attack setting up; trying to push forward through the woods to the Abbey. Depending on the windows I should have decent LOS to the hilltop, but I'll need to check that.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

[replaced]

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 27, 2019

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

So some discussion here, then.

It looks like the Germans are setting up a base of fire in those three houses. Do we have anything besides the HE from the AT that can meaningfully impact them? I think the .50s might be useful based on what Ace said in Twitch. Are we planning to shift anything to try and dislodge the infantry or is what we have currently enough?

I'm going to start working a scout team up hw 2. We need better eyes on what is going on behind there.

I think that we're going to see a couple of squads of infantry at least through those woods, probably in coordination with Stug fire on the Abbey itself. IIRC it's a pretty short turn for one of them to scoot and fire down that dirt road leading East from the Abbey, so they could breach the wall there.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

1st Platoon, F Company

HQ

Move QUICK along path indicated to building; climb to 3rd floor and face as indicated.

If building comes under fire by assault guns, descend to first floor and exit west.

1st squad

A/B section: B section move to 3rd floor and combine with A section. Once this happens, SPLIT AT section (A section from here on out) and move rest of squad (B section) down to 2nd floor.

If building comes under fire from assault guns, descend to first floor.

Scout team: HUNT to first diamond. PAUSE for 30 seconds at first diamond. HUNT to second diamond. If enemy contact, HIDE.

2nd squad

No change to orders.

3rd

Squad: Face as indicated.

Scout team: QUICK across the road to woods on far side. PAUSE for 30 seconds at first diamond. HUNT to second diamond. If enemy contact, HIDE.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 27, 2019

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

You may need to have them fall further back--there's a wall around most of that side of the Abbey.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

1st Platoon, F Company

HQ

Face as indicated.

1st squad

SPLIT into two sections. Section with BAR MOVE to 3rd floor (A section). Remainder of squad move to 2nd floor (B section).

Scout team: HUNT to diamond. Face as indicated. If enemy contact, HIDE.

2nd squad

No change to orders.

3rd

Squad: Face as indicated.
Scout team: HUNT to diamond. Face as indicated. If enemy contact, HIDE.

Discussion

Nothing too crazy going on this turn, just waiting to see where the German thrust(s) will be. Going to try and push some scouts close to the end of the woodline, see if we can get eyes on whatever's back there. 3rd squad will stay put until we can see whether there will be action along HW2 or if it's all going to be down the middle.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 31, 2019

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

e: superseded, see below.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 5, 2019

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

1st Platoon, F Company

HQ element

MOVE to 3rd floor if not already there. Face east.

1st squad

Scout team: HUNT along path indicated. PAUSE 15s at first red diamond. HUNT along path indicated to second red diamond. Face as indicated. HOLD FIRE.

Any sections in building (AT & A, I think): MOVE to first floor. COMBINE. MOVE to building indicated, SPLIT. Section with rifle grenades MOVE to fourth floor. Section with BAR MOVE to third floor. Both sections face as indicated. If BAR and rifle grenades in same section, MOVE to 4th floor and place other section on 3rd floor.

2nd squad

All personnel MOVE as indicated to yellow diamond. COMBINE. Once combined, face as indicated.

3rd squad

Scout team: HUNT to first red diamond. PAUSE 15s. HUNT to second red diamond. Face as indicated. HOLD FIRE.

Squad: MOVE as indicated to yellow diamond. Face as indicated. HOLD FIRE

Scout teams should not engage at all, they're just there for eyes at this point. Please adjust firing orders appropriately throughout moves if necessary.

They should be placed as close to the edge of the heavy woods as possible.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 5, 2019

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

1st Platoon, F Company

HQ element

SPOT for 60mm mortar strike. Line (along pink line, start at south end), 1 tube, Light, Short, General, Immediate. (Note: I don't think we have anti-personnel rounds for the mortars, but use your discretion on the type of ammo.)

1st squad

Scout team: Face as indicated. HOLD FIRE.

Sections: Face as indicated.

2nd squad

MOVE as indicated to yellow diamond. Once there, face as indicated. HOLD FIRE.

3rd squad

Squad: Face as indicated. HOLD FIRE

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Comstar:

What can I do to support you? We're prepping for troops to move through those woods to the east of the Abbey, so I should be able to provide some flanking fire if necessary.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

1st Platoon, F Company

HQ element

Continue to SPOT for 60mm mortar strike.

1st squad

Scout team: HUNT to yellow diamond. Face as indicated.

Sections: Face as indicated.

2nd squad

MOVE as indicated to yellow diamond. Once there, face as indicated. (Intent is to move south to get past the barbed wire, then east into the woods--don't need to stay on the road if it's easier to bypass the wire otherwise.)

3rd squad

Squad: MOVE to yellow diamond as shown. Face as indicated.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 13, 2019

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

1st Platoon, F Company

HQ element

Face as shown.

1st squad

Scout team: MOVE to yellow diamond, face as shown. I want to get this team in a position to dash to the house across the road if the Germans allow it.

Sections: Face as shown.

2nd squad

SPLIT AT section off.

AT section: MOVE along thin line to yellow diamond. At yellow diamond, SET FIRING ARC as shown and TARGET ARMOR. MOVE to second yellow diamond, continue firing arc and target orders.

Squad: MOVE along indicated path to edge of woods. SET FIRING ARC as shown and face direction indicated when reaching edge of heavy woods.

3rd squad

SPLIT AT section off.

Scout team: Rejoin main squad when it arrives.

AT section: MOVE along thin red line to first yellow diamond. SET FIRING ARC as shown and TARGET ARMOR. MOVE to second yellow diamond and maintain arc and target orders.

Squad: MOVE to yellow diamond as shown. SET TARGET ARC and face as shown.

Contingency for 2nd squad and 3rd squad: I want at least one minute of engagement with the troops in the woods opposite the scouts and whatever vehicles are coming down that hill, if any. If we can get that in the turn, great. If we have time at the end of the turn, I want both squads to face due east, throw smoke, wait 30s, and then retreat back into the woods directly west. That's the main squad bodies and the AT sections. If they don't have smoke, immediately retreat. If this can't be done in the turn--they're taking too long to move through the woods for whatever reason, complete the orders and I'll start next turn with the smoke.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

1st Platoon, F Company

HQ element

No change.

1st squad

No change.

2nd squad

AT section: MOVE along thin line to position shown. When in position, SET FIRING ARC as shown and TARGET ARMOR.

Squad: QUICK along indicated path to edge of woods. TARGET AREA as shown for 1 minute, then QUICK to position indicated.

3rd squad

AT section: QUICK straight back from woods, try to break contact and recover.

Squad: TARGET AREA for 30 seconds, then QUICK back into woods as shown.

If necessary, 2nd or 3rd squad can CANCEL FIRE and FACE east, then POP SMOKE before executing the retreat ordered above.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 20, 2019

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Comstar posted:

So long as my guys are not being shot at by armoured units, I'll keep my guys where they are. If armored units shoot at them, move to a position they can't be.

Q- can they get infantry to climb or blow the walls open of the Abby, or do they have to go around the long way?

HE rounds or breaching charges can take the wall out IIRC, otherwise they have to go the long way around. Notice that there's a pretty open break in the wall where the stream runs, though.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hey Hypnobeard, did you mean to leave the discord? Looks like you've vanished from there.

Yep. Not contributing anything, so I'll just wait for Centurium to post his orders here and go from there.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Eh, I think I've given the observers and eventually the Germans enough amusement already. Thanks though.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Centurium posted:

Hypnobeard: I'm not sure your position is tenable with German armor in your sector. Your call whether to stick around and fling hate at infantry and keep bazooka's shooting at armor targets or to smoke and retreat. If you continue to engage, make use of area target orders on the infantry, and ponder how vulnerable their position is w.r.t. German armor pouring HE hate on them.

On the other hand, if you retreat, do your best to throw smoke first and then retreat south towards the abbey wall.

I have already thrown a little bit of smoke, but basically I'm just going to bug the hell out and try to regroup back at the Abbey. I think that's going to be more effective than trying to pop the smoke which is essentially a crapshoot from what I can see. This will probably bite me in the rear end, but c'est la guerre.

1st Platoon, F Company

HQ element

No change.

1st squad

Scout section: QUICK to position shown.

Rest of squad: No change.

2nd squad

AT section: QUICK to indicated position. Join up with rest of squad.

Squad: QUICK to indicated position. Join with AT section. MOVE to Abbey as shown, enter building, SPLIT. 1st section occupies 3rd floor, 2nd section occupies 2nd floor. FACE as shown.

3rd squad

AT section: QUICK to indicated position. Join with rest of squad.

Squad: QUICK to indicated position. Join with AT section. MOVE to building in front of Abbey as shown. FACE as shown once in the building.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Well, it's nice of the Ninth Airforce to show up, eventually.

Thoughts, Centurium?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Comstar posted:

Can we get 1-2 of the squads in the north side of the Abby to get into the north facing buildings.

Those are your troops, so sure, go ahead?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Comstar posted:

F Company, 2nd platoon

Two of the squads who are on the NORTH side of the Abby complex need to MOVE to the RED and PURPLE buildings, 2nd floor, and face NORTH EAST towards the enemy infantry.

The XO squad getting SHELLED should RUN to the GROUND FLOOR and face WEST towards the enemy,

Other squads CONTINUE to AREA FIRE the GREEN and YELLOW FORESTS. If they have LOS on enemy INFANTRY or ARMOUR (if they have a BAZOOKA), TARGET them instead.

For reference, that's the south side of the Abbey, and that's my squad and HQ element. But sure, why not?

F Company, 1st platoon

HQ element stay put.

Squad in Abbey: A section move to ground floor, then over to the red building to the 3rd floor. Area fire on woods south of Abbey and troops coming in on HW2. B section repeat, but move to 2nd floor in red building.

Unit furthest south in the woods: Area fire on the woods to the south opposite the Abbey entrance.

Unit north of that: Move into the 1-story building at the Abbey entrance, face toward the south, area fire on the units coming up HW2.

Unit in the woods to the east: Move toward the Abbey entrance (so generally north east), fire at units as you can.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

F Company, 1st Platoon

All units except HQ area fire on troops in southern woods.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Is this still going?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I'm fine with that. Next match ya'll can get some good commanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I got my orders in, I dunno what to say.