Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Cool, I'll get detailled orders in in the next 24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Fun reminder that the Hunt order will cause your unit to stop immediately on their first enemy contact, even if it's brief. This can cause them to stop in the middle of an open field without cover or foregoing their original planned sightlines.

In this instance, it shouldn't matter but just be careful and judicious with your usage of the order.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

How many minutes are we going to play this turn? Our platoon orders so far would be complete around the five minute mark.

Lets try and get the rest of the orders done in 24hrs. If you feel I haven't given enough detail about anything don't hesitate to ask!

6 minutes, or until significant contact

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Scout car orders

Okay new orders for my scout car after a uh previous miscommunication order. Scout car is to deploy as far north it can on the road before going north up the road using HUNT and is to be UNBUTTONED. Hopefully I won't explode.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 22, 2019

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Fray posted:

6 minutes, or until significant contact

Sounds good.

I've put the full resolution map in Roll20, GMs (everyone so far) can click the little page icon at the top to switch between map pages. It may take a few minutes to load fully. I'll put in a contour overlay tonight as well.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

As a general rule for vehicles it's not advisable to move fast offroad and especially not through obstacles like fences and hedges as you'll very likely be immobilised. Quick is sufficient and honestly I would have the wheeled scout car avoid hedges alltogether, too easy to get stuck.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

As per orders:

Saros posted:

Tank orders are simple.

Starting in the NE section of the deployment facing west and North. Splitting into two pairs they will wait at least one minute then advance at hunt speeds along the following routes making sure to stay behind our infantry. All units unbuttoned.

Armored car is released to scout towards the north accompanying the advancing infantry.

ORDERS:

I'm not sure of our deployment zones but here we go:

1)
INTENT
Deploy where we can get some overwatch on those buildings, along the very right hand side. Let the infantry get ahead of us.

ACTIONS
Both Stugs:
UNBUTTON
FACE direction shown in dark blue.
Potential(?) lines of sight shown in light blue.
PAUSE one minute, or longer if takes for any traffic jam or crowding to clear

then HUNT along the pink line REMAINING BEHIND THE INFANTRY ADVANCE AT ALL TIMES
((If we start catching up to the infantry, stick in a PAUSE command for however long you think appropriate, and FACE temporarily towards treelines and buildings West that'd provide useful overwatch. This applies for all the below.))

2)
INTENT
The lead Stug (3.Stug) holds just short of the very edge of the trees and provides overwatch of the buildings for the following Stug (4.Stug) as it moves forward

ACTIONS
On reaching the treeline, the lead Stug (3.Stug) continues through at HUNT, pulling left to clear the way for the following Stug (4.Stug).
It STOPS just behind where the tree cover ends (red dotted line)
It should already be facing the correct way, but just in case, it FACEs along the blue line to re-establish overwatch on the buildings

3)
INTENT
3.Stug, covered by 4.Stug and the infantry ahead of it, moves up into the rectangular box paddock, to get overwatch on more distant treelines for the infantry

ACTIONS
4.Stug STOPS in position.

3.Stug continues up at HUNT speed, through the hedge, REMAINING BEHIND THE INFANTRY ADVANCE AT ALL TIMES
Just beyond the hedge it STOPS (don't stop on the hedgerow)
FACEs along the dark blue line
The idea is to try to get potential(?) lines of sight shown in light blue into the marked treelines

4)
INTENT
4.Stug, now adequately covered by 3.Stug and the infantry ahead of it, moves up to support 4.Stug.

ACTIONS
3.Stug stops in position

4.Stug advances at HUNT speed, through the hedge, REMAINING BEHIND THE INFANTRY ADVANCE AT ALL TIMES
Just beyond the hedge it STOPS (don't stop on the hedgerow)
FACEs along the dark blue line
The idea is to try to get potential(?) lines of sight shown in light blue into the marked treelines and buildings

END ORDERS

simplefish fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 22, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

FAO Saros (I'm not in Discord or roll20 so I don't know if things have changed - and besides, it isn't my place to boss koolkevz around):

koolkevz666 posted:

Scout car orders

Okay new orders for my scout car after a uh previous miscommunication order. Scout car is to deploy as far north it can on the road before going north up the road using HUNT and is to be UNBUTTONED. Hopefully I won't explode.

Jaguars! posted:

I see this thing's role as less zooming down roads and more wending it's way around forests on the periphery, taking the time to stop and observe, getting eyes onto our objectives at odd angles and finding paths for our larger vehicles

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

simplefish posted:

FAO Saros (I'm not in Discord or roll20 so I don't know if things have changed - and besides, it isn't my place to boss koolkevz around):

Orders were changed from a nice forest vacation to mad max road rage as per Saros' orders. Ok it wasn't quite put that way but going down the road for now is suitable for our tastes.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Not everyone can see Discord. I will be making the video for the first five turns/minutes this evening. Hopefully it'll be uploaded and encoded in time to post it tonight as well. It should be.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

koolkevz666 posted:

Orders were changed from a nice forest vacation to mad max road rage as per Saros' orders. Ok it wasn't quite put that way but going down the road for now is suitable for our tastes.

Alright, no worries, just checking. I wasn't trying to be a dick. Please anyone else feel free to point out if my orders seem to be not exactly what the doctor ordered to clear our nasty American infection

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: Tomorrow I'll put the four turns in as "just the overhead views" and link that in the thread.

Good evening team! The video is put together and uploaded and here it is! As an aside, I promise you this will be the only video with Bullshit. It was just that the first three turns are literally devoid of any development barring the last ten seconds and it was boring as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoYxg1hLDKo

As you see in the video, we lost koolkevz666. The scout car went ahead to scout and, unfortunately, the building it was behind wasn't at a good angle. But it did afford us a glimpse at one of their AT guns and chances are it won't be moving from that location. This also brings the point that kevz no longer has a playable unit and can either be given someone's spare squad/unit (if both parties agree) or can hop on the roster for the reinforcements. Either way, it sucks to have your one unit killed without any chance so I'm 10000% on board with getting him a replacement if we can decide on it.

We also encountered light infantry contact between us and the abbey that we got the opening volley on. That's where we currently stand and we will need updated orders for the fifth minute of our game.

You may notice way off to the southwest side there's a troop truck contact. One of the HQ squads in the building spots it roughly 30 seconds into the turn and it just sits there. When viewing the contact from both our perspective and theirs it probably shouldn't be seen but....

Here are screenshots for everyone's enjoyment.

Turn One Orders

Turn One Orders w/ Scout Car Path

END OF TURN ONE

Turn Two Orders

Turn Two Orders Close Up

END OF TURN TWO

Turn Three Orders

END OF TURN THREE

Scout Car Shot

AT Gun Location

END OF TURN FOUR

Closeup of Infantry End Of Turn

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 24, 2019

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

*Crosses out "Use scout vehicles correctly" on list of personal aims* Well, while not quite the way I'd planned it, we did find an AT gun. Try to keep your next command alive, Kev

DSM, your production skills make the propaganda directorate proud :ghitler:

Admin:

- Frangible and McBagpipes, use the platoon that followed your orders. So Frangible now has 2 and McBagpipes 1.

- Let me know if you are interested in commanding the Engineer company - they're probably still a long way off, but let's not get blindsided. The command will be two engineer platoons under players plus whatever support troops appear with them. I may attach some nearby troops to make up for the Engineers that went over to Hob, but it just depends how the situation is when you arrive.

- If our armoured vehicles straggle in, pthighs gets the first ones as he hasn't had a command yet, and Kevz gets the next ones. If a heap turn up at once then Saros gets final say over allocation.

- Get those softskin trucks away from the front line. We may need them at some point and they cost points. I'm not really interested in doing the suicide truck scout.

Combat orders shortly.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Okay that was a brilliant video, just a shame about the scout car. Looking at the angles I may have a rethink about my stugs, but I need to figure out if the infantry we're behind is going to move forwards

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Orders:

9 Company: Let me know what you plan to do about the various contacts. Pass up to me any decisions you need to within the next 24 hours. Continue to take ground where lightly opposed. For your platoonies - do you think a five minute turn is practical?

Armoured group: No change to primary mission. That Halftrack in the southwest corner of the turn four map is a low priority target. I'd like it dead, but I don't want to affect the main effort or risk any of our equipment to do it. Determine whether it's feasible to get it or not and if so do it. Back brief me on if it will be done, how it will be done and how long it will take.

Bn HQ:
HQ team to leave the halftrack and move to the building indicated.
Halftrack to wait for the HQ to leave then MOVE as indicated. Park where they can see directly west.

Non-binding: Well, it's not going to be easy but we knew that. Our most immediate need is to locate any more AT guns or long range teams that can fire across the valley. We may be able to locate some by sticking infantry in hedges and letting their binoculars do the work. Others won't become apparent until we take new ground for more OPs. I think our best chance of advancing is to take to the far east of the map and try and infiltrate teams down to the woods. The hedges appear to be permeable, I booted up the editor in the demo and it appears that these are the non-hedgerow type that can be jumped or crushed, while down by Dairy Farm there are more effective Bocage types.
The 1st treeline here is about the limit of what can be seen from the bottom of the valley, make sure to keep vehicles well back because they're only low hedges that won't conceal them. By the same token, keep infantry spread out and follow the proper drills for crossing open ground.

(About 100m south of the AT gun looking back towards our lines, the best view I could get of the hills.)

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 25, 2019

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Ok, now we know. Railyard is likely defended, it's the obvious hardpoint and pretty tough to clear. Some scouts in the forest towards abbey. Infantry doesn't have a reliable way to deal with the gun at this range until mortars arrive so it's up to armor if they want to take a shot.

New orders

9 company, continue with the plan. Continue on foot. Keep halftracks in cover, we don't want more losses from that gun. Get the sniper into a good position, I want eyes on that forest edge. Set up 4 machine guns towards the forest north of railyard. 500 meters is not optimal for MG42 but it's not too far off either and I'm ready to roll the dice. We have a lot of ammo, let's burn some of it at that gun.

Have someone cover your west flank before you move. Advance no further than the pair of houses near destroyed armored car.

Dublish, go deal with the contact near your guys. Let me know if you need more firepower. Don't advance further north with vehicles. Walking only from now on.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Hob_Gadling posted:

Dublish, go deal with the contact near your guys. Let me know if you need more firepower. Don't advance further north with vehicles. Walking only from now on.

Moving north, i'll probably split a squad to move into the two north buildings while the other moves up the road.

For the abbey woods, think you could send some halftracks or a StuG my way? For all we know there's a whole platoon in there, and I've only got two squads for an attack.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

dublish posted:

For the abbey woods, think you could send some halftracks or a StuG my way? For all we know there's a whole platoon in there, and I've only got two squads for an attack.

No. Two squads should be enough to deal with whatever that is. If you run into organized resistance we're going to contain it for now until reinforcements arrive.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Okay infantry commanders, time to split some scout teams and get them working their way forwards. I will bring the Stugs up to support the northern push but not until after the infantry have occupied the buildings and got scout teams pushed out. As you can see AT guns in cover are assumed to be heavily camouflaged and are almost impossible to see until they fire. Unfortunately that usually means a dead vehicle.

The one we have located is a 76mm gun, this means it's large enough to kill anything of ours in one shot but also difficult to move around, they almost always come in sets of 2 or 4 so we can expect more of them to be concealed along the treeline. Infantry, pour fire onto that AT gun. We have lots of ammo spare in the trucks and halftracks.

One more thing all infantry commanders give orders to pick up Panzerfausts from the trucks/halftracks as movement allows. There's no reason not to load them down with it and they can be good for close range assaults on buildings as well as AT work.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Make requests now for views and I can post screenshots/videos tonight.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'd like an estimate how how far forward I can bring the STUG lifers before they enter view of the bocage line where the AT gun is positioned.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Are we considering mortaring the field gun?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders due Jan 25 at 7PM EST

All updates going forward will be three minutes.

Fray fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 24, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

E: whoops doublepost

simplefish fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 24, 2019

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

Are we considering mortaring the field gun?

Absolutely.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Second Platoon Orders
Boy am I glad I was too lazy to do a header

In light of the AT gun I agree that advancing pell-mell with the halftracks is probably a bad idea. Therefore, continue the movement into the halftracks for this turn, pick up all the Panzerfausts my grubby little nazis can carry and then Move to the disembarkation locations on foot, leaving the halftracks where they are.

Same picture because I'm a lazy bastard and the intent hasn't changed, only the execution.

I'm going to put this to people who have the game because I can't really see, but do you think I could get away with 2nd and 3rd squads advancing in their halftracks since they can use the trees and building for cover?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Yeah I'd like to know where that AT gun has line of sight into in that rectangular box paddock that my Stugs are ordered to move into, please

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Fray posted:

Orders due Jan 25 at 7PM EST

All updates going forward will be three minutes.

Please note that this will need extra planning. Plan further than three minutes. If the turn stops and you're still moving it's fine. If you only have a minute of orders that's two minutes of nothing (except spotting and fighting) and maybe make contingency plans so if you get engaged on minute two you have ideas for what to do as a backup in minute three.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Pioneer Ko., 1. Zug

Zug HQ, 1. Squad, 2. Squad:

Vehicles MOVE to the east side of the treeline where the pioneers are currently.
1. Squad TARGET the location of the infantry contact for 1 minute.
1. Squad and 2. Squad SPLIT TEAMS.
1. Squad B Team TARGET the location of the American infantry scouts. When A Teams get close to the contact, cease targeting.
1. Squad A Team PAUSE 30 seconds, then QUICK across the field, then PAUSE 30 seconds, then QUICK to a point near the infantry contact.
2. Squad A Team QUICK across the field, then PAUSE 30 seconds, then QUICK to a point near the infantry contact.
2. Squad B Team QUICK southwest so that it's closer to the action and can support 1. Squad, then TARGET near the infantry contact (at a different point than 1. Squad B Team is targeting). When A Teams get close to the contact, cease targeting.
HQ Squad PAUSE 1 minute, then HUNT to the treeline.

CONTINGENCY ORDERS:
If additional contacts appear, all TARGET orders should be cancelled so TacAI can take over.
If so many contacts show up that 2 squads are going to be unable to press the attack, A Teams should return to their B Teams to merge back into squads, and HQ Squad should move west away from the treeline.
If the enemy scouts are killed/captured or retreat, B Teams should move forward to merge back into squads.

3. Squad, 4. Squad:

Orders to occur in three phases:
    1) 3. Squad TARGET the AT gun contact, 4. Squad SPLIT TEAMS and QUICK to the forward houses, with B Team moving to the west house second floor and A Team moving to the east house first floor.
    2) 4. Squad B Team TARGET the AT gun contact, 3. Squad SPLIT TEAMS and QUICK to the forward houses, with B Team moving to the east house second floor and A Team moving to the west house first floor.
    3) 3. Squad B Team TARGET the AT gun contact.

CONTINGENCY ORDERS:
If a StuG starts putting HE on the AT gun, cancel TARGET orders so TacAI can take over.

dublish fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 25, 2019

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The plain overview video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3EPzbt2s1A

This is uploading and will be for a while. It's the sightlines and general overview and unrehearsed live dialog that makes me sound like an idiot but I love you please don't judge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDiRY2LYW6Q

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Saros do you want me to try to pop the AT gun while infantry keep it suppressed, or shall I steer clear of its field of fire and wait for arty on it?

Thanks for the videos DSM they're great

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I'll might move my stugs up to where the hedgerow 2 squad infantry were engaging it and drop some shells. It's almost certainly not alone but this should give us a chance to engage it without other AT guns being able to assist. For your two get them up to the edge of that forest on the right but don't proceed past it.

Saros fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 25, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

As per orders:

Saros posted:

I'll might move my stugs up to where the hedgerow 2 squad infantry were engaging it and drop some shells. It's almost certainly not alone but this should give us a chance to engage it without other AT guns being able to assist. For your two get them up to the edge of that forest on the right but don't proceed past it.

ORDERS:

PREVIOUS ORDERS AMENDED

2)
INTENT
The lead Stug (3.Stug) holds just short of the very edge of the trees and provides overwatch of the buildings for the following Stug (4.Stug) as it moves forward

Also don't get shot by the AT gun, don't enter its line of sight.

ACTIONS
On reaching the treeline, the lead Stug (3.Stug) continues through at HUNT, pulling left to clear the way for the following Stug (4.Stug).
It STOPS just behind where the tree cover ends (red dotted line)
It should already be facing the correct way, but just in case, it FACEs along the blue line to re-establish overwatch on the buildings

2b)

INTENT
4.Stug, covered by 3.Stug and the infantry ahead of it, moves up LEVEL WITH 3.STUG, to get overwatch on more distant treelines for the infantry

Also don't get shot by the AT gun, don't enter its line of sight.

ACTIONS

4.Stug continues up at HUNT speed, until equally north as 3. Stug, ie REMAINING BEHIND THE RED DOTTED LINE AT ALL TIMES
It remains as far right as it can so as to be spaced from 3.Stug
FACEs generally North West at a point of tactical interest.
The idea is to try to get potential(?) lines of sight shown in light blue into the treelines and buildings

END ORDERS

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

dublish posted:

Pioneer Ko., 1. Zug

Zug HQ, 1. Squad, 2. Squad:

Vehicles MOVE to the east side of the treeline where the pioneers are currently.
1. Squad and 2. Squad SPLIT TEAMS.
1. Squad B Team TARGET the location of the American infantry scouts. When A Teams get close to the contact, cease targeting.
1. Squad A Team PAUSE 30 seconds, then QUICK across the field, then PAUSE 30 seconds, then QUICK to a point near the infantry contact.
2. Squad A Team QUICK across the field, then PAUSE 30 seconds, then QUICK to a point near the infantry contact.
2. Squad B Team QUICK southwest so that it's closer to the action and can support 1. Squad, then TARGET near the infantry contact (at a different point than 1. Squad B Team is targeting). When A Teams get close to the contact, cease targeting.
HQ Squad PAUSE 1 minute, then HUNT to the treeline.

CONTINGENCY ORDERS:
If additional contacts appear, all TARGET orders should be cancelled so TacAI can take over.
If so many contacts show up that 2 squads are going to be unable to press the attack, A Teams should return to their B Teams to merge back into squads, and HQ Squad should move west away from the treeline.
If the enemy scouts are killed/captured or retreat, B Teams should move forward to merge back into squads.

3. Squad, 4. Squad:

Orders to occur in three phases:
    1) 3. Squad TARGET the AT gun contact, 4. Squad SPLIT TEAMS and QUICK to the forward houses, with B Team moving to the west house second floor and A Team moving to the east house first floor.
    2) 4. Squad B Team TARGET the AT gun contact, 3. Squad SPLIT TEAMS and QUICK to the forward houses, with B Team moving to the east house second floor and A Team moving to the west house first floor.
    3) 3. Squad B Team TARGET the AT gun contact.

CONTINGENCY ORDERS:
If a StuG starts putting HE on the AT gun, cancel TARGET orders so TacAI can take over.

OK, I'm going to intervene here because it's contrary to the mission I gave Hobforce. Don't cross into the woods because chances are you'll run into another US unit while you're flanking the scout team. We don't have the resources to support you if that happens, in fact it would pull units off the main effort to reinforce you.

Other than that, great orders. you're doing the right thing in general. I'll send my HQ halftrack to help secure your left flank.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 25, 2019

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Simplefish no offense but those orders are really unintelligible - I can't make head or tails of what you are ordering. The place I want you to move up to is marked in red.

STUG I & II

Move quick to take up positions behind the infantry as shown here and once arriving have one stug target briefly 1 minute and the other target light 30 seconds on the AT gun position.

Saros fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 25, 2019

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Orders changed, i might be able to get a different picture up later today.

dublish fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 25, 2019

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders due in a little under 11 hours! Get them posted ITT!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Saros posted:

Simplefish no offense but those orders are really unintelligible - I can't make head or tails of what you are ordering. The place I want you to move up to is marked in red.

With respect I think they're pretty clear, just not as West as you wanted maybe

Basically it complies with what you said as writ.

Advance to the northern fringe of the forest but don't go beyond.

Don't take on the AT gun.

I don't see what the confusion is.

If you wanted me further West you should've ordered it - If you want to micromanage you can have em, I'll relinquish them to you.

But otherwise I am going by the letter of what you said.

Yeah the orders are clear, I don't understand how they're unintelligible to you.

The lead Stug moves to position 2 as shown before. The following Stug moves parallel but doesn't pass it. It's not rocket science.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Okay well I suppose I don't have to interpret them. Anyway your end point is over the crest of the hillside there quite likely within sight of the AT gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbagpipes
Apr 17, 2010
9th Company, 2nd Platoon Panzer Grenadiers Orders

Okay, 2nd Platoon is going to hold position and pause until the first has bounded past us. While we are waiting our HQ Half track and HQ 9.2.0 will move up along a quick path as noted by the blue arrow in this diagram. While we wait, split 9.2.2 and 9.2.3 to allow us 2 scout teams to lead the advance. Split 9.2.1 into two equal teams.

After that we will wait until 1st Platoon is established and then begin our bound forward along the best covered path as shown by the red marks on this image.

If we still have significant time left we will push forward past the 1st platoon moving north towards the heavy forest as shown by this image.

At all times the scouts and half of 9.2.1 will lead the advance with the half-tracks and the rest of the teams following at about a 50m distance. The intent of this second bound is to advance to bring fire on the dairy farm without risking too many assets in a full out charge. If the situation changes we will still bound but more cautiously.