Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

in case i don't get back to this before the deadline here's a draft of

PIONEER 2. PLATOON - the pink panthers i suppose

- HMG stays put, keeps suppressing

- the squad next to the HMG SPLITS then goes through the '3' blocks to the forest, from whence it moves on to the buildings

- the other squad-halves in the blue circle do the same. pink lines under the buildings indicate that they should create a base of fire. how should i arrange these two squads in the two buildings? i'd like lots of lines of sight and overlapping fields of fire please thanks. if the upper story is a magnet for enemy fire, put a few guys up there so the americans are shooting at them instead of other people.

- by drawing "OPTIMIZE", a pink circle, and three angry pink lines, i actually meant the following: If any of these half-squads aren't firing, move them to spots* where they can cover the allies' approach to the buildings. if they're firing, don't touch them, they seem to know what they're doing. i watched the replay and at least some of them are firing, but for all i know some of them aren't, i'm just asking for a check on that thanks. these squads are providing base of fire, though
*inside the forest

- not drawn on there, sorry, but move the commander in his jeep to a spot behind the forest, close enough that the trees block line of sight to the americans. it sounds like there are command bonuses for being in sight and being within 100m, so might as well make sure the latter happens. if the kubelwagen can get through the hedgerow gap, go that way, otherwise cut through the field like the infantry are

edit: do infantry need to go around the low hedge? how about the wheat field or whatever, does it slow infantry down? if so, should I direct them along the eastern edge of it? editedit: sounds like they can hop over it and the field's just waist-height so i guess i'll leave things as they are. also i'm going to trust that only ricochets cause friendly fire casualties, so the HMG should be able to avoid shooting its own guys

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Armor command orders.

@Koolkevz After this turn i'm probably going to hand off both the northern Pz IV's to you and take over the reinforcements.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders due Saturday February 16th at 7PM EST.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Frang Platoon
Starting to realise that we're too lazy for a banner

The gist of this plan is that we're going to shoot a lot at things while moving a little.

First off, ensure that everyone has acquired as much ammunition as they can possibly carry from their tracks. They'll probably never get back in them in this game, last chance. Don't pick up Panzerfausts, I am endlessly confident in the ability of our armour to keep the worst of the Shermans off us.

The HMGs that can see it and the remaining elements of the platoon are to put a pair of brief target orders into the wooded area marked and then may continue to area fire into known enemy locations, with specific reference to ones that can interdict our movement as the turn continues. Keep one MG firing at the ATG instead of firing at the wooded area, just in case.

The tracks containing 2nd and 3rd squads are to advance to the vicinity of the woodline, outside of infantry close assault range, while maintaining target area orders on the woods at all points of their travel. 2nd and 3rd squads are to disembark from the transports and lay further fire into the woods if resistance is encountered, or else they are to advance into this side of the woods. Endeavour to prevent lines of sight being drawn through the woods in such a way that unsuppressed Americans on the opposite side of the woods near the ATG are unable to fire at our men.

If sufficient time remains in the turn, push 1st squad and Platoon HQ up to the near side of the woods as well, in preparation for the seizure of the far side of the woods and establishment of fire superiority next turn.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I’m doing some late season rabbit hunting in the harsh 65 degree winter day we’re having in Northern Virginia but I’ll be able to get orders in tomorrow afternoon.

Unless the rabbits get me first...

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

glynnenstein posted:

I’m doing some late season rabbit hunting in the harsh 65 degree winter day we’re having in Northern Virginia but I’ll be able to get orders in tomorrow afternoon.

Unless the rabbits get me first...

Stay safe.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i like that our northern pioneer companies are commanded by DC sports avatars

so, i currently have troops running through the '3' yellow boxes, which i assume are crops. will that result in any sort of clusterfuck? how about slowing them down? if it doesn't slow them down too much i'd still want to do it, to stay north of the forest in case that keeps them from being shot at, but the americans aren't that far from their objective

and how about the low hedge? will they have to duck around that?

also i'm sending troops directly across the HMG's field of fire for a bit. will that get my troops killed, will it halt the fire, or will they just shoot over their heads since this is a pretty steep hill?

if nobody answers those questions, or raises any other points, then i probably won't change my draft orders from a bit earlier. but i suppose we have some time.

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 16, 2019

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Small hedges are crossed by a jump. The field won't slow you down noticeably. The number indicates the height of the foliage out of about 6, so it's probably about waist height.

[E: IIRC] A command link makes your leaders more effective, which in turn makes your units more tolerant of casualties. Read this page:
https://combatmission.fandom.com/wiki/Command_and_control

Unsure about the HMG friendly fire one. Certainly large explosions cause friendly fire.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 16, 2019

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Yeah, they totally can and will shoot your own guys. Hence my very careful orders for only thirty seconds of fire onto my objective, because I don't want to hose my own Panzergrenadiers. Generally the Tac AI is reasonably good about avoiding fratricide as long as you don't give them explosives and trees but I think running through area fire commands tends to end badly for either side.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

well the HMGs, as far as i know, are just shooting at spotted enemies - maybe darkswordmaster placed an area fire order i'm too dumb to notice, but i don't think i did. perhaps they'll stop shooting when one of their own company's squads runs in front of them?

also i think a better way to communicate what i want to do with my forest half-squads is:

If any of these squads aren't firing, move them to spots where they can cover the allies' approach to the buildings. if they're firing, don't touch them.

i'll go put that in my orders above. i'll also move the commander to within 100m - looks like there's a bonus to visual contact inside that range. but not just yet, we've got time

i'm leaving the "potential mowing down of my own troops" issue for consideration at a later date, but if people think they're gonna die i'd change it. could i put in an order like 'stop the HMGs from firing while the squad is crossing in front of them', or do i need to say something more specific? if so, what?

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 16, 2019

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I've never seen units take FF casualties from bullets that weren't ricocheted. Explosions, yes, bullets no.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Orders - StuG Battery

StuG 1 - Move forward to peak out of the woods if possible (feel free to adjust the exact position to make it work). The goal is to target light one of the red blobs in the woods.

StuG 2 - Move quick as indicated. Target light one of the red blobs in the woods

StuG 3 - Move forward a bit. No target orders; function as overwatch.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 16, 2019

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Northern panzer IV orders

The two non-bailed panzer IV tanks are to use HUNT command as they go forward meanwhile the dismounted tank crew are to attempt to remount their panzer IV and then use FAST or QUICK whichever one gets them moving the fastest to the west away from the sights of the shermans. If by chance the tank is knocked out before they can remount them have them move away from the wreck and then HIDE for now.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Dont forget to turn your guys out again, I think they hid when there was small arms fire plinking off them.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

:siren: Pioneers 3rd Platoon Orders

The HMG can't seen anything from that position so QUICK up to the hedgerow where 1st and 2nd Squad are right now. When in position Deploy Weapon.

1st and 2nd Squad are doing valuable things like shooting the enemy and medicing in the hedgerow, so for now just SPLIT the squads.

3rd and 4th Squads should SPLIT then advance through the woods at QUICK. If/when contact is imminent near their final position start bounding the teams with brief Pauses and Hunts.

My intent is for 1st and 2nd Squads to cover the rapid advance of 3rd and 4th Squads. Hopefully the latter and the HMG will be in position after these turns so that 1, 2, and the HQ can join the advance.

Move the back trucks and the wagons up to the marked positions. Move the first two trucks then Quick them into forward positions in case resupply becomes necessary. Keep them back from the infantry and the hedgerow, please.

Malick23
Sep 10, 2001
I bought all my friends forum accounts and all I got was this lousy custom title
9th Company 3rd Platoon

All Units are to quick to the woods and take positions along the red line.

3 squad is to split a MG team and deploy facing the blue arrow so it's covering the road.

I'll have more up when I see what's going on past the woods.

Malick23 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 19, 2019

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Kompanie HQ:

No orders.

2. and 3. Platoons:

oystertoadfish, focus on keeping up the fire. Move your remaining trucks to safety, and get your HQ out of that car before it does something foolish.

glynnenstein, get your guys moving. I want the house in the field in front of you occupied, and I want you moving quicker through those woods.

dublish fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 17, 2019

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
LOOK AT THIS NEW TURN!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFsGVzGl_Sc

End Of Turn

Turn One Orders

Mortar Orders

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

sorry hans, apparently i led you to a non-glorious death

can i get a line of sight check on my half-squads in the forest, please? i wasn't able to find it in the video

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Oh, that's lovely. How long until the shells start falling?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

No Change to Battalion orders

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

TANKER ORDERS

Koolkevz
First shell the enemy infantry positions a bit then I need you to link up your four northern panzers and once they're together rush to form a firing line roughly where i've indicated (maybe a bit further back - try get the best spots from DSM), your tanks cant see anything where they are and are vulnerable to bazookas from the forest. Don't be afraid to expend ammo here, probably multiple of your tanks is going to end out dead fighting the Shermans so conserving ammo for later is a fools game.
The Allied Shermans will probably start to shell our northern infantry this turn so we need to threaten them enough to distract them. From the video the lead sherman has bits and pieces of visibility around the house/field so when you do move move quick and make sure to give face orders and remain unbuttoned. Hopefully we can get all four tanks spotting and firing in close proximity.

[b]Pthighs/b]
Your stugs are running low on HE ammo so try play it cautious. Take out that AT gun and position your two stugs with low/no HE ammo where they can fine over the abbey onto the enemy mortar position. They will probably be rolling tanks past there this turn so if we can get shots on them that would be great - if you;re using target arcs make them very generous - the one last turn was way way way too narrow.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 19, 2019

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
9 co orders

It seems the abbey is lightly defended at best. We will move up and see how far we can get without meeting resistance.

Frang Your platoon will cover our movement. Set up a strongpoint and keep the AT gun down. Bring two HMG from the southern houses with you and make sure you shoot at whoever pops up.

Mcbagpipes Move in. I want your platoon to take the houses close to abbey and move up to the abbey wall.

Malick As per previous orders, move through the southern forests. I want your platoon approaching the abbey from south. Be quick.

Dublish Set someone up to breach the abbey wall if Bagpipes makes it. I want a hole in the wall. Otherwise see what you can do against your opponents. We have mortars incoming to help you out and Bagpipes will be flanking the position. Avoid casualties.

HMGs keep AT gun suppressed.

Mortars fire on the previously marked target.

Stummels keep overwatch on abbey. Shoot at contacts in there and only those contacts.

Move company HQ to top left house, next to HMG on second floor. Give me a LOS check. I want to know about valuable point targets such as AT guns, mortars and MGs outside houses.

Thanks to armor for shooting at the lone infantry contact inside railyard firing at Frang. A couple more shells there would be nice. Please also wipe out the AT gun, we can keep it pinned but at this range can't likely kill it.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Mcbagpipes, kindly remember to link your orders to excel, otherwise you risk them not being done.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xw2R9i3fktis59tRyoJWGkgBcG9xhsl_dJX09mojNgk/edit#gid=0

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders due Tuesday February 19 at 7PM EST

Fray fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 19, 2019

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Fray posted:

Orders due Tuesday February 18 at 7PM EST

This date makes no sense.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Makes perfect sense to me? :shrug:

We got time.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Meant the 19th, sorry.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Armor reinforcements orders.

All tanks unbutton and stay that way. I'm relying on the inputter for exact positioning as there have been almost no views of the LoS of this part of the map.

-Rear tank IGNORE THE PICTURE ABOVE.

Haul rear end to this spot at fast and get 90 seconds of area fire onto the enemy infantry spotted currently shooting up our guys.

-Lead and second tank tanks move to orange zone at fast. This is not an exact zone - I can see there is a a rise and hopefully sight-lines to the enemy backyard but the primary idea is to get sight down the open road to the enemy AT gun and possible sherman advance path. If no contacts have one tank shell the last spotted AT gun position for one minute. Basically I want them positioned so they can cover as much of this zone in red as possible.

Saros fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 19, 2019

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Saros, you can actually get shots at the squads fighting me by parking next to our mortars. No neec to spend time getting to the yellow line.

Speaking of our mortars, the mortar that isn't assigned to the fire mission (and maybe the one that is) can direct target the enemy's location without waiting for a fire mission.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Can I? It looks to me like the line has intervening terrain, it's doing that things where it disappears into the ground.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I'll be able to give you a screenshot closer to the deadline, but there's several places around our spawn that can just barely target the eastern edge of those woods. It won't be great shots, but my squad is already under fire from 2 BARs at close range, and I'd rather have support sooner rather than later, if only to keep their heads down.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Northern Panzer Unit

All northern panzers are to unbutton immediately and any that have line of sight are to open fire on the american contact locations in the red circle meanwhile the two tanks on the east and west flank are to drive to meet with the two on the road using QUICK, once all the panzers have met up they are to advance down the road using QUICK and take up positions in a line formation in across the shown yellow line facing south. If possible when lining up the tanks have them in positions where they can see the Sherman positions to the south. Thanks.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 19, 2019

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Orders - StuG Battery

StuG 1 - Clear target arc. If you can area target near the AT gun in the red oval, do so. Back up if not.

StuG 2 - Move as indicated to poke out of the woods next to StuG 1. If StuG 1 can't target the AT gun, try to target the AT gun. Otherwise try to target the mortars in the red oval. Otherwise sit and watch for tanks moving by.

StuG 3 - Reverse behind the house a bit and face in the direction of the blue arrow. Target the AT gun or mortars if possible, otherwise sit on overwatch for tanks.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ugh I hosed up my daily planning a lil bit, I might not get to my computer to draw arrows before the deadline. this, however, is what I think dublish wants me to do:

pioneers 2. platoon pink panteras orders

- move the moron trucks southwest right behind the northernmost hedges, to try to get vertical obstacles between them and the downhill threat without going east where we know hansdeath awaits

- HQ is to drive the jeep behind the western forest, close enough to avoid being seen over the trees and to get the <100m command bonuses for everyone we can. as soon as they arrive they are to DISMOUNT (or whatever it's called) and move a reasonable distance away from the jeep in case it explodes, but stay out of the forest

- the infantry squad that's still in motion should get set up on the half hedge like DSM has planned

- pull the backmost half squad and the least useful of the other ones behind the forest near but not clumped with the HQ to function as a hopefully safe reserve. if dsm requires more direct orders I would guess that the westernmost half squad is the least useful.

my impression of the shooting situation is that my kills and suppressions have been of moving allied troops that I got glimpses of; especially with only my phone I don't know any more specific targets, sorry. it seems like they're having an effect and I don't want to gently caress that up

---

edited in response to dublish below. trucks are now going sw to hedges. I'm trying to pull one squad out of the forest in a way that reduces firepower as little as possible while minimizing mortar casualties

as for targeting commands, unless somebody can point out an established contact I can destroy (again sorry I can't get to the computer) I'm not sure what to tell them that'll get us more than their current actions. I haven't picked up on anything more than Americans running into and out of areas I can see.

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 19, 2019

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Saros posted:

Can I? It looks to me like the line has intervening terrain, it's doing that things where it disappears into the ground.

Right, so this is what I'm up against:

6 guys spotted so far (plus one casualty at the beginning of last turn), including a couple BARs and a Thompson. Since every single one of my teams in the area is either pinned, can't see the enemy, or both, I'm certain to take several more dead in the next few minutes unless something is done ASAP.

You're right that the terrain isn't great, which is why I'm in this mess to begin with. But I expect a few rounds of HE will at least get their heads down long enough for me to regroup and wait for the rest of my platoon.

Also, mortars.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

oystertoadfish posted:

ugh I hosed up my daily planning a lil bit, I might not get to my computer to draw arrows before the deadline. this, however, is what I think dublish wants me to do:

pioneers 2. platoon pink panteras orders

- move the moron trucks east, to where 3. platoon's trucks are, behind a sorta forest iirc

- HQ is to drive the jeep behind the western forest, close enough to avoid being seen over the trees and to get the <100m command bonuses for everyone we can. as soon as they arrive they are to DISMOUNT (or whatever it's called) and move a reasonable distance away from the jeep in case it explodes, but stay out of the forest*

- the infantry squad that's still in motion should get set up on the half hedge like DSM has planned. after that they join all other infantry and the HMG in shooting downhill. in other words, no changes to anyone else's orders, keep shooting

---

I'm a little worried the forest guys to the farthest west aren't gonna have targets and will take mortar fire, but if the enemy does try to advance up the map edge it would be very dumb not to have someone there

*most important question on my mind; should the dismounted HQ go into the forest? right now I'm saying not to because I estimate that they would have a better chance of getting hit by mortar fire or sharp nasty tree fragments. am I wrong?

anything else? I'll try to link this in Google docs on my phone, I'll let y'all know if I fail. edit: linked, I think

1) It was your easternmost truck that got blown up. I would reconsider sending your remaining vehicles in that direction. Just park them behind some hedges somewhere and you'll be good.

2) I recommend having your guys actively TARGET enemies. This might be your intent, but it's not how I would interpret "no changes to orders" and "set up a base of fire".

3) Being in woods is not great when mortar shells are falling. You're right to keep your HQ out, and I'm OK with you pulling your westernmost guys back for a bit- I don't think the enemy is advancing past the North Bridge, and we'd see them way ahead of time if they did.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

3. Squad, 4. Squad:

Continue current orders.

Zug HQ, 1. Squad, 2. Squad:

1. Squad A Team will FAST to the east side of our woods whenever possible, unless it retreats farther than that.
1. Squad B Team will SLOW halfway to the east side of our woods.
2. Squad will SLOW halfway to the east side of our woods.

When 3. and 4. Squads arrive, all units should HUNT in the direction of the enemy contacts.

The truck under fire should REVERSE to a safer location.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Frang Platoon
It's okay, I won't stick out if nobody else has a banner

The theme for today's movement is: Forward

2 and 3 will split into teams and move into position on the far side of the woods. They will then take the ATG under fire with one team and use the other three teams to suppress return fire at them or else engage appropriate targets. Attempt to prioritise moving enemy units over static enemy units if neither are delivering fire. If it is adjudged safe by DSM the HMG halftracks behind the forest may be brought forward to engage the enemy.

The HMG next to the StuGs will spend one turn continuing to suppress the ATG and then will engage the American mortars.

The HMG in the other pioneer house will support 2 and 3, or else if they have no line of sight will engage the contact in the railyard.

The rear HMGs will either engage moving targets visible from their current position or else load into the platoon halftrack and await further instructions. They are my reserve. You should always have a reserve.

1 and Platoon are to load into 4HT, move up to the woods and then bail out of the track and ensconce themselves in the woods. 1 may be committed as a formed unit if morale is high enough to do so. Be sure to bail out of the track so that all elements of 1 disembark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Bagpipes Platoon XO

Sorry mate, I've been instructed to issue orders in your absence.

If Bagpipes issues orders ignore these ones

Bound up towards the Abbey as shown. Do not continue to advance troops if a major firefight develops. Use halftracks at your discretion, the hunt orders suggested are mere suggestions. Attempt to use 2 squad to engage enemy forces engaging Dublish's pioneers. Position of all units is fairly flexible dependent on microterrain, just keep them shooting. If a major contact develops then use the HMG tracks to support Bagpipes' platoon.