Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it was jimmy smash imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
In light of recent incidents that expired I'd like to keep in mind the unheeded warning of Gigi that Jersey is a small state and if Ginny Sacrimoni moved there she could tip it over.

OurIntrepidHero
Nov 5, 2011

He's just too fast!

Dawgstar posted:

Patsy's actually in pretty good shape. If Tony died (he didn't), then he might have the best shot at Jersey boss and if Tony didn't die (he did) then he's got a good shot at underboss, especially with his son and Meadow hooking up.

Not certain if this has been posted before, but this YouTube channel has some excellent videos about themes in the Sopranos as well as a video on Tony’s death that relates to this point.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hy4AGeuQ5pM

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dawgstar posted:

Gandolfini even wanted Richie to stay but they figured after a while it would strain credulity.
I think he sticks around for just the perfect amount of time. There's no way he would have been able to get away with continually challenging Tony's authority, no matter how connected he was. You just don't do that.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think he sticks around for just the perfect amount of time. There's no way he would have been able to get away with continually challenging Tony's authority, no matter how connected he was. You just don't do that.

TBH, the fact that the creators of the Sopranos knew that a charismatic but disruptive character like Ritchie can't last if they want to maintain verisimilitude is a major boon for the show, a lesser programme would have surrendered to the temptation to keep him around at the cost of the overall plot, and in the process probably would have just watered down what made him memorable in the first place. A similar thing happens later with Tony B, I know that Chase and the rest were trying hard to figure out a way to keep him alive but had to yield to the fact that him going way out of line like that meant he was a dead man no matter what in the world of the mafia.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Tony specifically mentions Richie when he makes the call to get rid of Feech so quickly too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ya gotta nip in da bud

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bentacos posted:

Tony specifically mentions Richie when he makes the call to get rid of Feech so quickly too.
Yes, although that was because Robert Loggia was a nightmare to work with and they fired him

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, although that was because Robert Loggia was a nightmare to work with and they fired him

I've heard so many different, contradictory things about this but I don't think that Loggia was considered a nightmare in the sense that he was a massive rear end in a top hat they needed to get rid of, the difficulty came in him having trouble with his lines in his old age (he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 6 years later). I think that Chase never actually said that they intentionally wrote him out of the show prematurely, I think the fanbase have kind of gone with that story because of the issues mentioned with him doing his lines. Watching the show its hard to see what else they could have really planned for Feech and I always thought that his subplot was neatly nestled into the season and served its purpose.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I felt like he was going to be a bigger part of that season and then he’s just written out

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

khwarezm posted:

TBH, the fact that the creators of the Sopranos knew that a charismatic but disruptive character like Ritchie can't last

what do you mean “charismatic”? he couldn’t sell it

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

khwarezm posted:

I've heard so many different, contradictory things about this but I don't think that Loggia was considered a nightmare in the sense that he was a massive rear end in a top hat they needed to get rid of, the difficulty came in him having trouble with his lines in his old age (he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 6 years later). I think that Chase never actually said that they intentionally wrote him out of the show prematurely, I think the fanbase have kind of gone with that story because of the issues mentioned with him doing his lines. Watching the show its hard to see what else they could have really planned for Feech and I always thought that his subplot was neatly nestled into the season and served its purpose.

I choose to believe he was forgetting his lines, which was disrupting an otherwise very tight ship as far as shooting goes. The only person who I've heard anyone say "he couldn't hang with us" about was Jamie Lynn Sigler's husband

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023
He's got tremendous moxie for his size

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8i01bL9a8Q

I dont care, to me this is the best done scene in the show, when you factor in all the elements, especially the masterful use of the music. Who the gently caress knew about that Xzibit song to use it so perfectly here?

But man, Jimmy's fingers? They're like 150 year old oaks. What a missed opportunity for Paulie or Sil to make a joke about him trying to finger someone or something.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Finally finished my 6-7th watch with it being my wife's first. She loved the show until the very ending and now she's pissed. She loving hates the cut to black and is saying that it's a worse ending than Dexter or Game of Thrones.

I think it's time for a divorce

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Throw all her all her poo poo out the bedroom window onto the driveway while blasting Layla

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Black Sunshine posted:

Finally finished my 6-7th watch with it being my wife's first. She loved the show until the very ending and now she's pissed. She loving hates the cut to black and is saying that it's a worse ending than Dexter or Game of Thrones.

Little Carmine calling that hyperbole but pronouncing it 'hyper bowl.'

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

codo27 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8i01bL9a8Q

I dont care, to me this is the best done scene in the show, when you factor in all the elements, especially the masterful use of the music. Who the gently caress knew about that Xzibit song to use it so perfectly here?

But man, Jimmy's fingers? They're like 150 year old oaks. What a missed opportunity for Paulie or Sil to make a joke about him trying to finger someone or something.

I loved that scene when I first watched but upon rewatch and rewatch I feel like it makes the FBI seem like a much larger threat than they ever turned out to be.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

codo27 posted:

he'd have to kill them for calling him gay

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

escape artist posted:

I loved that scene when I first watched but upon rewatch and rewatch I feel like it makes the FBI seem like a much larger threat than they ever turned out to be.

9/11 made them shift their focus from organized crime to terrorism after season 3

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Ralph Hurley posted:

9/11 made them shift their focus from organized crime to terrorism after season 3

Which makes so much sense from a "real world" perspective and was very smart of Chase to do. So many ither subpar shows would've just kept rolling hard on the FBI angle the entire show. It's not like they disappeared since they were still trying but they didn't have the full focus anymore.

This show is so goddamn good

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
In addition to the real-world shift in priorities mentioned above, I imagine that once the creative team realized the show wasn't going to be a one-season fluke and could run for a few years that they pulled back from pursuing any potential major FBI storylines. Best keep them as a quiet background presence than an imminent menace, since the endpoint with them has to be Tony's arrest and the effective end of the show. They will never make a major move, but the threat of the Feds is always there and the motivation for a lot of smaller plot arcs and character deaths over the rest of the series.

That scene is our first confirmation that the crew is under close surveillance, but it also functions as a convenient mid-season reestablishment of the hierarchy for the audience: Junior's officially on top now, and Tony has (publicly) abandoned his ambitions to move up, he's remaining a capo*, here's who he's a peer with in the family (And we'll put names to faces - in print - for any viewers that are having a hard time keeping track of who's who.)

*(who I must be loyle to)

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023
9/11, just a kid

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ralph Hurley posted:

Oh I am well aware and it made perfect sense. But I still feel that way. The FBI was thwarted by Meadow in that season before 9/11.

Also important to remember Nancy Marchand's death made them change up their plan for season 3, where she was gonna be testifying. Livia + the FBI could've been a formidable team.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
posting after dark? I could be killed.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I tend to agree that the FBI are portrayed in a wobbly way through the show in terms of being an actual threat and let way too many opportunities slip through their fingers (not to mention losing like 90% of their informants), but at the very end its clear that Tony is probably a few days away from being hit with charges he can't wriggle out of, so I guess they did their job, finally.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cranappleberry posted:

I don't post on Something Awful when they're predicting rain.

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

Cranappleberry posted:

The phone is an auditory thing, the dark is an eye thing

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Water, water, water. I’m living next door to Gunga Din.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Black Sunshine posted:

Which makes so much sense from a "real world" perspective and was very smart of Chase to do. So many ither subpar shows would've just kept rolling hard on the FBI angle the entire show. It's not like they disappeared since they were still trying but they didn't have the full focus anymore.

This show is so goddamn good

I liked how they dangled the idea of terrorism and middle eastern characters potentially being meaningful in that sense but then just kind of let that just dangle out there and die on the vine. I remember thinking that Chris' Arab connections and all that poo poo was gonna go somewhere but nope.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It's so cool how Tony and Harris drat near become friends. Like Andy after helping the guys with their taxes in Shawshank. I think we all know the attitude from law enforcement is always going to be containment rather than outright eradication. And like within the mob itself, respect and granting favors goes a long way.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Borrowed the new Mario from my brother and sat down with my wife to play. Pick Luigi of course. First words out of my mouth: Stupida loving game

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023
Covers codo27 eyes

"its a handicap"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

codo27 posted:

Borrowed the new Mario from my brother and sat down with my wife to play. Pick Luigi of course. First words out of my mouth: Stupida loving game

But how did you hold the controller

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We only have the stock joycons for the Switch and my hands probably aren't far off Gandolfini's, so holding the already tiny half controller looks every bit as comical as the mario kart episode.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jerusalem posted:

I know it's been said before, but if anybody "won" The Sopranos, it was Little Carmine. Dude is going to die an old man, happy and beloved, surrounded by family who adore him and who will miss him terribly.

he 100 percent won The Mafia. That conversation he has with Tony at the golf course, he's left samsara so far behind he can't even see it anymore

"you know I always enjoy those but it never occurs to me to order one" incredible. master of his own desires

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

codo27 posted:

We only have the stock joycons for the Switch and my hands probably aren't far off Gandolfini's, so holding the already tiny half controller looks every bit as comical as the mario kart episode.

I always wondered if Robert Iler was sitting there saying "That's not how it works" when they told him to start a new game by pressing the reset button.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
People talking about the Mario Kart scene as the funniest 'this is how videogames work, right?' scene on the show when the Max Payne scene with Atari 2600 sound effects playing over it is right there.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 11, 2024

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm honestly drawing a blank on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jesse playing RAGE with a light gun.