Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Two of my favorite running jokes:

Tony never bothers to learn wive's names unless it's someone like Rosalie or Charmaine or Gabrielle. He's constantly making bad guesses and being corrected, even when talking to Davey who he's known for years.

About once a season they'll mention Cousin Josephine, but we never meet her. Like Livia telling Tony she gave Cousin Josephine all the good jewelry, or Christopher mentioning to Adriana that Cousin Josephine's rear end in a top hat almost rotted out from IBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dawgstar posted:

Before Paulie, it was a guy named Joseph Sasso who got swept up in the same indictments that got Junior and Larry Boy with the calling card thing. Apparently Tony didn't really have anybody as underboss for a while.

Tony was pretending to be the Underboss because Junior was still Acting Boss as long as DiMeo was still alive, he had to keep up appearances that it was all Junior.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Another running joke is that Tony can never finish a bowl of cereal. There's the scene where Janice is trying to tell them how to parent Meadow and he throws a bowl of Honey Combs across the room, and the scene where Carmela reveals that Gloria committed suicide and he just leaves a bowl of cereal sitting on the counter as he rushes out. And he's always reading the back of the box like a kid.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm a Motherfucking Goddamn Orange Peel Beef person myself.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm still amazed at how Edie Falco and even Robert Iler play that scene. The former doesn't flinch at all, while the latter only a bit, and the goddamn phone almost hits both of them. It so perfectly conveys that they've been dealing with these outbursts for years and they're mostly used to it. Especially with Carmela telling AJ "...I told you to go upstairs" before telling Tony to grow up and then taking the broken phone out of the dishwasher as if it's the most normal thing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s heartbreaking but also hilarious when Nucci is crying over the way Minn and Cookie are treating her and quotes the old Hallmark commercial when she talks about the nice card she sent them.

“I cared enough! And I sent the very best!”

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Tony Sirico does look older and tired, but he's also seventy-seven years old. He's still pretty sharp though. When I used to live in Bay Ridge in Brooklyn, I'd see him two or three times a month at the bodega up the corner from our place because he lives in the area. He'd always greet me with a "Hey kid, how you doin'?" before picking up his coffee, bagel, and the New York Post.

EDIT: I'm behind on the recaps, but has anyone else mentioned going to the Sopranos con in New Jersey in November? My best friend and I got tickets as soon as we found out about it.

https://www.sopranoscon.com/

Check out who will be there.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 11, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, that had me looking up how long horses live because it seemed impossible.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’ve always taken it as a visual gag. I mean, there’s been a live grenade in the wall right next to the table at which they’ve held all their Sunday dinners? That’s insane.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Another running joke is Carmela insisting that AJ is not ready for certain literature, regardless of how old he is. There's Billy Budd and "What kind of book is that to teach to high school kids?!" and then with the Second Coming "What kind of poem is that to teach to college kids?!" I'm sure I'm forgetting a few examples.

Also, going back to "Full Leather Jacket" for a moment, if you pay attention in the scene where Matt and Sean are bothering Tony in the Bing restroom, the paper towel dispenser is empty when Tony tries to use it. So when he's loving with Sean after he stupidly mentions the safecracking job, Tony's not just checking for a wire, he's also drying his hands on his shirt.

And Sean's last name is Gismonte, with Matt always calling him Gis or Jizz. So when Sean gets shot in the head by Christopher, Matt is literally screaming "JIZZ!!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I think Rosalie might low key be the funniest character in the show.

Fuckin' nosy? Eat your manicotti!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

JethroMcB posted:

To be fair, Johnny does take a deal where violates omerta and confesses to being involved with organized crime. That's why everybody turns on him with such disdain (or at least, has an excuse to.)

But even before that you had poo poo like Carmela trying to "cheer Ginny up" by showing up with the new Porsche Tony bought for her. Meanwhile the feds are seizing poo poo out of the house left and right, and Ginny won't even come to the door because of bill collectors.

Also, Chris lowballing Ginny for Johnny's Maserati and Tony demanding they give the house to Janice and Bobby happen before Johnny's allocution.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wouldn’t mind loving Patsy in the rear end.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does anyone know where one could find the A&E versions of Sopranos episodes? I never watched them when they were airing because it seemed pointless, but now I'm so goddamn curious about how they edited episodes like "Boca" where the two major plotlines are eating pussy and child molestation.

It reminds me of when TBS (I think) had edited versions of Sex & the City and they entirely removed Charlotte from the episode where she gets addicted to a vibrator, taking it from twenty-two minutes down to like fourteen.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'd hang with Eugene.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

banned from Starbucks posted:

Anyway I thought it was kinda odd for Carmines wife to be a part of Carmelas movie club.

Carmine Sr.? Because it definitely wasn’t Carmine Jr.’s wife. I always assumed it was Patsy’s wife. You don’t see her again until the last episode, so they could have just recast her. Although, if they were supposed to be wives (and widows) of the higher ups, that also could have been Vito’s wife, who they may also have recast when she became a much bigger character in the next season.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Sal got his nose and arm broken, dragged by his junk, lost half his customers, had to take his kid out of school, endured all kinds of verbal abuse, and the only good thing that happens to him is that he no longer has to do Johnny Sack's house for free, and that's only because Tony wanted to stick it to Janice once she took ownership.

Also, I can't help but laugh at "Hey Phil, those Mets tickets, right?" and his reply of "Lorraine, how about this humidity?" followed by a smack. There's just something about Phil's no bullshit attitude that's so darkly funny at times.

EDIT:

crispix posted:

We often see Tony appear in some very... interesting outfits but I just want to show my appreciation for this particular shirt

Like, this had to be a dare or something. I laughed out loud when he walked in wearing it :laugh:

The one that looks like it's covered in leaves is my vote for Tony's worst shirt.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 23, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Here's the shirt I vote Tony's worst throughout the entire series. If we're talking about jackets, I vote the gold one he wears when Melfi tells him to gently caress off in "Blue Comet".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
:mad: These Parker House rolls? They belong to my Ma! :mad:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If I'm not mistaken, some supporting characters that didn't appear all that often were contracted only through season four, which is why we got a new Barbara and a new Dr. Fried and I think there were a few others as well.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

crispix posted:

This reminds me of a scene in one of the last episodes where Tony, Silvio and Bobby are in a restaurant. Tony and Silvio start to pretend to box in slow motion, and there is this brief scene with a service door in the restaurant swinging behind Tony's head and this weird noise that I have never found an explanation for. It's just another one of those moments that's jarring due to being out of step with what you expect from the show

This is the scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncvuMGmElyM&t=108s

That's an homage to Raging Bull.

And it seems like everyone complains about that stutter-freeze-wipe from "Cold Cuts" now.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wouldn't say that Phil is gay, just that he may have done some stuff in prison that he's ashamed of, and his wife does not help with that at all. There are times where Phil looks like he's actually getting tired of the whole thing and she just keeps going and going. She's also the one calling Vito a sinner and telling his widow and children it's better off with him dead, then bursting into tears because their tailor is going blind.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. His outbursts are eventually revealed to be like a day after she's all matter-of-fact about how Vito has to be "made to face his sins"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I forgot about this exchange.

Carmela: Was Charmaine there?

Tony: Yep.

Carmela: She looks good, doesn’t she?

Tony: What, are you disappointed? Her husband dumped her, you thought she was gonna look like a krull?

Carmela: ...a “krull”?

Tony: A crone...a troll...I don’t know!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Jerusalem posted:

Season 5, Episode 5 - Irregular Around The Margins

Back at Crazy Horse, she greets Tony at the bar when he arrives wearing a suit. There's some measure of awkwardness between them, he explains that he'll need to use the office when Patsy arrives with somebody else, and she says that is no issue as she's pushing herself to spend more time on the floor cracking the whip with the staff. Tony yawns and says he's going to grab a nap while he waits, but as he leaves she calls him back to ask if he has Christopher's number, as he called her but didn't leave the number of the phone he is currently using. She feels uneasy as he hesitates, this is intruding into their business side of things, so he just fobs her off with an assurance Christopher is sure to call back and in any case he'll be home tomorrow.

If you watch closely, Tony actually reaches into his jacket to get the number, then decides to tell her that Christopher didn't give it to him instead. He continued to orchestrate a situation in which "he doesn't have a choice" and it wouldn't be his fault because "You only get one of those"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
No reason at all to apologize.

Something I noticed, especially with the scene in the beginning of this episode, is that they somehow found a way to film AJ looking like a little boy even as he got older. There's something about the shot when Tony lets go of him that makes him look like the chubby little kid from the first two seasons, it's hard to explain.

EDIT: Also, I absolutely believe that Father Phil is jealous. His responses to her are dripping with the kind of contempt of a nice guy that finds out that she's met someone and is now trying to poke all the holes he can. He just gets away with it more because he's a priest.

EDIT 2.0: I think Rosalie says "jigs" as in "jigaboos" not "chinks"

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 12, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Jerusalem posted:

It definitely feels like stuntcasting, even though Buscemi was involved in the show from very early on as a director.

Speaking of which, this episode was directed by Peter Bogdanovich (who plays Elliot Kupferberg, Melfi's therapist) which I thought was pretty cool since it was during a significant gap in his directing career.

I don't think you mentioned it, though I may have missed it, but Sunshine, the dealer that Jackie Jr. kills, is Paul Mazursky, director of Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, Harry and Tonto, an Unmarried Woman, and Moscow on the Hudson.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's also funny twenty years later with Governor Andy Cuomo freely throwing the n-word around during a radio interview to illustrate how much Italian Americans are being persecuted, and his brother Chris insisting being called Fredo is just as bad as a black person being called the n-word.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Didn't see it- heard you can watch it as if it's Sil's coma fantasy. Also, Tony Sirico makes an appearance.

In fact, Steven Van Zandt’s brothers on the show are Tony Sirico and Bruce Springsteen.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I never really got the hatred for this episode. It's actually one of the most important in the entire series when it comes to Tony and his father. I'm glad Jerusalem picked up on all of that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Vichan posted:

Whenever I watch the scene of JT awkwardly leaving I always figured he wanted to avoid paying the bill/tip.

It's left incredibly ambiguous. You don't know if he was just really uncomfortable around Chris at that point, if he was looking to score, if he really did have a date, etc. I absolutely love the fact that so much in the show was left up to interpretation.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, that’s why Junior had Tony helping him dig up his backyard in the beginning of that episode. Junior was convinced that he had buried cash from the “Boat Hall Heist”(?) in his backyard and Little Pussy Malanga knew about it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And my favorite unseen character Cousin Josephine calling to inform everyone about Aunt Concetta dying.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't trust that cookie poo poo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The "Happy Birthday Mister President" scene is perhaps the most Lynchian thing the show ever did. It's loving horrifying.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dawgstar posted:

And it's been said other cast members didn't like how Gannascoli hired his own PR person and went into business for himself doing press stuff. The word 'grandstanding' was used a lot. In the interests of fairness Gannascoli claims they were just jealous of all the attention he got with his storyline (something he reputedly pushed for himself) in the next season which might be true? Who knows.

A good friend of mine works for a food packing plant that mainly does Italian sauces and vegetables. Gannascoli had a meeting with them years ago when he was getting his line started to see if they'd manufacture it and he was apparently really full of himself. They didn't do business with him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
This is out of left field and ridiculous, but Jerusalem, where are you from that you keep calling Tony's robe a dressing gown?

EDIT: Also, Phil being called "the Shah" or "the Shah of Iran" is the reason "Rock the Casbah" is playing when Tony runs Phil off the road in "In Camelot"

Mohammad Reza Pahlavi/Shah, the Last Shah of Iran

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 28, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I often get Tony's version of "I don't wanna do your dirty work...no more" stuck in my head. Either that or his version of "Another Brick in the Wall" that goes "We don't need no doo-dah-dee-dah..."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

codo27 posted:

I'm of the belief that while music can stand on its own, film would lose a much larger element of its whole without music. Imagine Star Wars with none, or with some corny sci fi techno poo poo? The music is standing out so much to me this time around on my second rewatch. Living on a Thin Line will be in my head now for the next week or more after watching University last night. Went right on google music and bought it after the episode.

Fuckin Ralphie. Amazed at how long his leash is, I dont remember when he bites it or even if. Though I must say it was obviously hard to watch, not so much as the stairwell scene. So glad the misses is starting a new job on Monday where we'll both be on the same hours now and thus more time for binging. Almost regret it in a way because all of a sudden there are actually things (coming) out that I want to watch. Mandalorian, the Irishman, the Witcher, go back and watch Goodfellas and the Godfather. Need to rewatch all the Star Wars movies before December 16th. Jeez where am I gonna get the time.

Are you okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It also gave us the scene where they're all discussing horror movies, and Vito is confused that the protagonist is a ghost, and Silvio gets pissed when JT insists Michael Myers is supernatural.

Also, the Sopranos ended with a cut to black. It's loving weird seeing so many people call it a "fade to black" for the last twelve years.