Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just finished season 2 of probably my 5th rewatch. Goddamn, Funhouse is just an amazing hour of television. The music, the fever dreams, Pussy’s execution, and tons of fart sound effects!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Hugh at Livia's funeral. Some of the best lines in the whole show.

"Who are you?! Minister of propaganda?!"

"Oh don't hand me that! BULLSHIT!!! You wanted it, and you got it!"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Upon further review, Dr. Melfi’s rape scene is a little much.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Shouldn’t Angie Bonpensiero know that Tony and Silvio killed Pussy? She was literally sitting at the kitchen table with them before Pussy left with them and he never comes home.

Can’t believe I just realized that.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

She had to have known, she was getting "widows pay" from Tony after he disappeared. What is she going to do? Go to the cops? Testify in open court that the head of the New Jersey mob took her husband for a ride and he never came back ? They never found a body or any evidence that Puss was actually murdered, there wouldn't be enough circumstantial evidence to bring Tony in for questioning, let alone an arrest and trial. Every single one Tony's subordinates would have lied for him.

She grew up in the life and she knows what happened, but she was over the marriage anyway. Might as well get something out of it.

Did they ever explain how Big Pussy and Little Pussy go their nicknames?

Yeah I guess I’m trying to reconcile how on further watch it was entirely clear (to Angie) what happened to Pussy and yet they never really address it in the show. Angie’s post-Pussy life is actually handled really well in the show but I do wish they made it more explicit that she knew, especially since as you said, she would’ve been happy he was gone anyways.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I actually didn’t catch up with the broadcasts until like season 4 or so. I bought the first few seasons on dvd.

I was surprised to learn that the Danielle character (the undercover FBI agent) was originally played by a different actress at the end of season 3 and they actually refilmed those scenes for the subsequent re-airings.

I think Seinfeld did that with George’s dad too, ended up refilming scenes with Jerry Stiller.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

pentyne posted:

I love how terrified that witness was and how fast they panicked when they read that he identified Tony Soprano and completely flipped on their being good people attempt.

The wife is so good in that scene.

“You just had to be the BIG MAN!!!”

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Narzack posted:

On a scale of one to ten, how sacrilegious is it to say that I think Sopranos is better than the Wire? Or that I at least like it more?

I think they’re very different shows about very different subjects and I don’t think it’s a very controversial opinion to have.

I think The Wire has more profound things to say than The Sopranos, but from a pure enjoyment standpoint, I’d rather watch the Sopranos.

Does anyone else enjoy the family segments of the Sopranos more than the “family” segments? Like upon first watch, I loved all the organized crime stuff but now I love the dynamic of Tony/Carmela/Meadow/AJ and to an extent Christopher much more than the organized crime stuff. Maybe it’s just being older and having a family of my own now that makes it more fascinating to me.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh man I’m watching the episode Christopher, the one about the Columbus Day parade. So much loving comic gold in this episode. The scene where the wives are at the Italian American women talk, the way the other women start eyeing the mob wives when she brings up organized crime, Rosalie Aprile flips the bird to the one lady. Hilarious. The way Carmela says “whaddya gon do” the way Tony always says it. The Native American protestor yelling “Moussolini was Hitler’s bitch!” How Ralph tries to threaten the Native American leader about the famous actor not being Native American and he doesn’t care. (But then freaks out for a second after Ralph leaves)

And Jesus, this is the episode where Paulie tells Johnny Sack about the mole joke, crazy how that has an affect throughout the entire rest of the show.

edit: “He was gay, Gary Cooper?”

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 5, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

So over in The Wire thread, I did a bunch of write-ups of most of the episodes of the show. It was largely a way for me to organize my own thoughts as well as generate some discussion out of some of the themes, questions, speculations each episode arose, and for me at least it was a ton of fun to do.

I've been thinking of doing something similar for The Sopranos for awhile, but wasn't sure if I should make a separate thread or just post them here? They'd be LOOOOOONG write-ups (though not as long as what I did for The Wire, which got ridiculous) so anybody disinterested would have to scroll past them, but I also wouldn't want to make a new thread and potentially pull discussion away from this one.

I don’t think this thread gets enough traffic/posts for it to be an issue. And I’d really enjoy reading your write ups.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh my god I can’t stop laughing at this scene where Tony is at Adriana’s club and she’s imagining he knows that she’s a rat and they shoot Adriana and Tony with these Dutch angles and it is just so jarring and so funny.

“I’m gonna gently caress her face up before I kill her!”

About a minute in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfZehsgpXV8

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

I feel like Alan Sepinwall's book "The Revolution was Televised" had the best Tony didn't die at the end theory..

https://slate.com/culture/2012/12/alan-sepinwalls-the-revolution-was-televised-excerpt-david-chase-and-the-sopranos.html

Thanks! This is good stuff.

Here is the strongest (but not only) argument from the article about Tony not dying at the end.

quote:

Narratively, this was never a show that cheated, or tried to trick its audience. This was never a show told only from Tony’s point of view. We knew most everything going on in his world: who was on his side, who was against him, who was honest and who was lying to him. If a character went to work for the FBI, for instance, we either saw it happen, or it was such a minor character (like capo Ray Curto, so obscure that most fans couldn’t tell him apart from Patsy Parisi) that it didn’t matter.

At the moment Tony walks into Holsten’s, there’s no one we know of who has murder in his heart for the guy. He’s made a deal with new New York boss Butchie; his own inner circle is mostly dead or medically irrelevant; even the one capo who promises to be trouble just sounds like a cooperating federal witness. For Members Only Guy (or someone else in Holsten’s) to be acting on the orders of an enemy we’ve never met (or whom we haven’t heard of in years, like the Russians) simply isn’t the sort of thing the show ever did, and seems too abrupt a shift for the final moments.

I have to kind of agree. It does seem kind of hamfisted to say "Tony gets shot by Members Only guy" by order from some unnamed but probable enemy from his past.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I wrote and rewrote the above several times trying to keep it down to a somewhat reasonable size, so hopefully in amongst the rewrites I didn't lose a chunk of stuff that renders the rest of it a mess. I'm trying not to just do a straight recap but also avoid veering off into lengthy sidetracked discussions of what I think the ducks represent or anything.

Anyway, just a few things that stood out to me most on rewatch:

- What do you think of Tony's narration? Personally I hated it, and felt it was trying way too hard to ape Goodfellas/Henry Hill. I know Gandolfini had some speech therapy between the pilot and the next episode, but it really did feel like he was channeling Ray Liotta in parts.
- Do you think Melfi pushed too hard her interpretation of the ducks on Tony? It really did feel forced to me but that really might just have been that they wanted some form of closure/resolution in the pilot
- It's remarkable how fully formed a lot of the characters already are, how much is in place for stuff that will come to fruition many episodes or even many seasons down the track. How much I wonder was planned from the beginning and how much was worked back from or just turned out that way by lucky coincidence. Particularly stuff like Big Pussy and Christopher dumping Emil's body, Christopher commenting on his cousin's girlfriend being a development girl in Hollywood, or Carmella's in-depth knowledge of Tony's infidelities.
- Is there anything quite as embarrassing in the series as Carmella whipping out the assault rifle? Maybe Carmella walking in slow-mo from that teacher she was having sex with?
- Has there ever been a more monstrous character than Livia Soprano? Is Livia smiling at the end there when Junior suggests murdering Tony?

Not only was the narration channeling Scorsese, but the use of music was too. Scorsese typically uses classic rock or other popular songs during particularly violent scenes.

Anyways, yeah it was pretty obvious they were aping Scorsese and I’m glad they didn’t continue it because the show didn’t really need it.

Great write up.

edit: I was wrong about the particular song I think. I was really channeling Scorsese too much.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 10, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The only movie that I feel like it aped Scorsese and actually managed to pull it off is Boogie Nights. But Paul Thomas Anderson is pretty amazing in his own right.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

It's hard to believe that this scene and the fight scene from Whitecaps is the same show.

But yeah, after somebody said it, I'm now realizing that everyone that's not an older white person has poorly written dialogue.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The worst part is, that aspect of Italian American culture is not exaggerated one bit. People are truly so proud of their heritage and all that comes with it and have absolutely no clue that it bears little resemblance to actual Italian culture.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The montage is also a Godfather reference, no?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

What do you all think of the episode with Jon Favreau, Janeane Garofalo, and Sandra Bernhard all playing themselves? Was it a little too much or did it feel earned?

I do think it was a little much. I actually love the premise of the episode, and Christopher's arc in the episode....learning that Hollywood can be even more cutthroat than the mafia. But something about shoehorning those 3 celebrities in there feels a bit off, especially watching it now.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
By the way, I’ve been seeing promos for it for a month or two, but Dominic Chianese (Junior) is in some new show premiering tonight on NBC. Dude is 88 years old and still workin. Hell yeah man.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

More Goodfellas casting: Tony "Larry Boy Barese" Darrow also played Sonny Bunz in Goodfellas, the club owner who eventually gets busted out. Darrow also got some of that real-life mob action when he and a Gambino soldier were arrested for extortion some years ago. Apparently had no criminal record prior so he was really shooting the works, and only got house arrest.

If anybody's super interested, 'the Colombo war' they talk about is covered under the 'Third Family War' entry on the Colombo family's Wikipedia entry.

Also, in case anyone missed it in the news, the boss (acting boss, really, as Peter Gotti is still the boss behind bars) of the Gambino family, Franky Boy Cali, was murdered a week ago.

Ironically, because this is 2019, they don't think the murder was mob related, as the alleged killer is a QAnon conspiracy nut. Even the mafia isn't immune from white chuds these days.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think it’s a matter of everybody pays lip service to the “rules” but in reality, whenever Tony or whoever complains about how things are different than the old days, they’re right. Typical baby boomers....taking everything their parents’ generation built, pissing all over it, and then complaining that things aren’t how they used to be.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kevyn posted:

What? I was mimicking Albert Barese’s habit of repeating the thing that someone just said.

That’s almost as funny as Paulie’s habit of immediately repeating a joke to a person right next to him.

Did you guys hear what I said, i said that’s almost as funny as Paulie’s habit of immediately repeating a joke to a person right next to him!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What’d you two do all night, play “Name that Pope”?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I would kill myself too if my mom made those monstrosities.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
For All Debts Public and Private doesn’t fade to black until the credits are over.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I present to you the best line delivery in the entire run of the Sopranos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhDq-70caV0

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Agree, this is one of the best endings in the whole series. And like a lot of episodes of the Sopranos, it really comes down to a great musical choice.

As a Cake fan, I've always been partial to the ending of The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I generally liked the flashbacks to Johnny Boy in the series. I feel like there could have been maybe 2 or 3 more without it feeling overused.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kevyn posted:

I’m only realizing this because of this post and I just watched the episode a few hours ago, but Tim Daly gets mentioned back in season 3 when Meadow meets Noah’s father who works in Hollywood. He’s complaining that he had to sit next to Tim Daly on the plane and he talked his ear off.

I actually noticed this in my last watch through too. Pretty funny.

I believe Frankie Valli also holds the distinction of being name dropped in the show AND starring in the show.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The family therapist is loving hilarious. Amazing delivery of all of his lines.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It’s funny that you would say that mozzarella is the “whitewashed” version when that is the proper way to say it. Moozadell is the Americanized version, coming from Americans unable to roll their R’s and turning it into a D sound.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It’s important to remember too that Italian immigrants to America were, for lack of a better word, hillbillies. They were the uneducated lower class, so you’ve got basically the American born children and grandchildren of Italians who themselves spoke a very “low class” version of the language.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

junior pushing the pie into his old girl's face is one of the saddest moments in the series, and also hilarious

Yeah, that scene, and the performance by the actress, is heartbreaking. Even if, like you said, it's also kind of hilarious.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think the true old-timer Italian drink is anisette. I think the only time it's seen in the whole series is when they go to Italy. My mom says that my grandfather (born in Naples in 1896) drank only red wine and anisette. They drink it in the Godfather as well.

My other grandfather (Irish-American) drank Schenley Whiskey, which I think was a thing because he was in the Navy during the war. From what I understand it was not a good whiskey, but oddly enough was one of the largest distillers in the country for a large part of the 20th century.

edit: I guess Sambuca is technically a version of anisette, though they appear to have different sugar contents. I wonder if anisette was just kind of a catch-all term for anise-flavored liquors and liqueurs.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 2, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

knox posted:

I fully forgot the scene with Janice and Bobby at the lakehouse playing cards with Tony and Carm. I probably laughed at hardest I ever have watching The Sopranos, when Bobby gets angry at Tony saying "you Sopranos take it took far!" and Tony replies full of sarcasm "you're right Bobby, I crossed the line," and he starts humming "Under the Boardwalk" lyrics as it plays in background. Gandfolini's face/comedic delivery just comes across so natural/his true self, and it's just hilarious, as you know he's about to say some hosed up poo poo and he adlibs some lyrics joking as usual about Janice having 'a penis in her mouth under the boardwalk.' I wasn't even laughing at the line, just Tony's face as he says "underrr the boadwalkkk."

Ahem, I believe it's "under the boardwalk / with a schlong in Jan's mouth"

Haha, who says schlong anymore?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Doesn’t Christopher say that Silvio used to own rock clubs in Asbury Park? I think it’s the first of a few Silvio-Bruce Springsteen references on the show.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the woman who played Ginny not really an actress and went on an audition on a whim or something? I thought I recall reading that.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

Sopranos is the only show I watch random 4 minute clips of and it has more heart and soul in it than other shows do all together .

The fight between Carmela and Tony in the poolhouse where he thinks about hitting her for a split second and punches the wall is amazing

OHHHH he TALKED to YOU !!!

That scene elevates “Whitecaps” to my favorite episode. It is such a good and realistic seeming fight. It is for my money the best acted scene of the series.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Now the series up until now had been great, but for some reason it was this episode with the arrival of Richie that put the show into truly something special territory. I don't think David Proval ever blinks. ("Manson glances" Tony calls them later.) And I'm sure there's more shocking violence I've seen even on TV now, but there was something about Richie smashing the coffee pot across Beansie's face that made me just jump back into my chair. The second season of The Sopranos is the only season of TV I've ever honestly Netflix-style binged. I think I finished it like four AM that morning.

The only very minor thing that robs me of finding David Proval to be the absolute best villain is that before he was ever in The Sopranos (or even before Shawshank Redemption), I remember him from UHF.

So every once in awhile I picture him with staples in his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Who? Are you guys talking about Parvati?