Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I finally caught up with this thread the night after I had a medication induced dream about going to a convention with the character Tony Soprano and it was one of the most anxiety inducing dreams I can remember. Though he seemed extremely amused with cosplayers.

Thanks, subconscious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I love it when the hits go south in this show.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Speaking of, I've always felt like Junior was slotted into some of Livia's storylines after the actress passing. The final scene between Tony and Junior is very good but I get the impression it was supposed to be Livia.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ralph Hurley posted:

Massive Genius vs. Hesh music rights lawsuit and counter suit never happened as far as we know.

I just watched that episode and it also felt like they were dropping hints at an infidelity storyline with Ade and Massive but it never materialized

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I dunno if I read quite that much into it; I figured Massive was just entertaining her by letting her lovely friends use the studio because he was trying to gently caress her. Which I guess is basically what you just said, but I never picked up any hints that the hookup would actually happen, it just explained why visiting day (meow!) managed to get a recording session with a professional studio (it's no denmark of course, but)

Oh yeah I don't think Ade would have went for it but I thought it would cause tension with Christopher. But it's realistic that way that Christopher might have been oblivious.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm rewatching on HBOMax and I just hit S3, E2 - Proshai, Livushka, and did they remaster the Livia scene? It seems markedly better and less weird than when I saw it initially. Though the dialogue is still bizarre and doesn't really make any sense.

It really is too bad that we lost Nancy Marchand so early. I really wish we could have seen where they were planning on going with her. (Though I suppose they rolled her planned storylines into Janice and Junior)

I just watched these scenes a minute ago and yeah, for whatever reason you can tell it's doctored footage but it's well done for the time.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Holy hell. Proshai, Livushka might be Janice at her absolute worst/most annoying... eh I'm sure she'll top it with so much of the series to go.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jackie Jr was an amazing rear end in a top hat while he was around though. Kid didn't know when to leave poo poo alone.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I had forgotten all about the scene where Chris and Sil go and pay the old guys in Rhode Island to do a hit on Johnny Sack. What an absolutely weird scene for this show.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Admittedly, it was weird but I love that loving scene for reasons I can't put my finger on.

Maybe it was that that house full of weirdos were all like "oh, so you want to kill a person?" and seemed totally insane and incompetent while also throwing the guys who kill people a lot for a loop and casting side eyes.

Thinking more about it last night, it felt like getting dumped into a David Lynch movie for a second.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Christopher's intervention might be some of the finest television ever created.

And also the fight with Tony and Ralphie is so good. Really had that feel of a brawl between two scumbag gangsters with no formal training.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah it was. I forgot Ralphie went there and literally said, "Aw shiiiit" out loud. God that would hurt.

EDIT

Oh hell I forgot this was the Livia on the stairs dream episode. I was not prepared.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 20, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Divorce is a big no no thing with Catholics in general, or at least it's supposed to be. I think Tony even brings that up to someone at one point.

Not to say it isn't something convenient for Carmella to leverage to be an rear end.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It's pretty brutal how fast Tony turns the boss switch on Tony B.

Tony's pettiness is just on a whole other level at the start of season 5.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I always liked how threatening Patsy was when he told Gloria "My face is the last one you'll see... and it won't be cinematic."

Patsy might be my favorite minor character mobster.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Tony always reminds me of my dad and yeah he was like you'd imagine. I think of when he dumps out AJ's cereal and says, "Now you got nuttin'." a lot.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know. I've never seen it. It's episodic TV so I guess start wherever you want. The show was always nominated for Emmy's and stuff so it's probably solid the whole way through.

Another David Chase show to check out is Kolchak the Night Stalker. David Chase worked on pretty much the whole show and it was a huge influence on the X-Files. It's one season and some TV movies.

I've been watching Kolchak recently and its excellent. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw David Chase appear in the credits.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'd by lying if I said in some ways I didn't miss television being consumed like that even if the way it is now is better.

With the Sopranos you probably had so many people with their own built up ideas of what was going to happen in the last episode. Probably many that believed it HAD to be something dramatic and explosive and then they got that out of nowhere.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

There was no "probably" about it.

For a good minute, they used to have like frat house parties where people would gamble on the Whacking of the Week. IIRC, that was one of the reasons Chase cut down on the murders since that was never really what the show was about and that perception of it bothered him.

I remember I wasn't into the show when it aired but my friends that were would have crazy watch parties every week.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

Tony did get more evil and depraved with every season( but I'm not sure Melfi was even aware of this). Definitely the right choice to cut him loose. She was pretty much an accomplice at the end.

I'm kinda conflicted about AJ's fate. The only time he felt any real satisfaction with life was when he was with Blanca and had managed to establish some kind of identity outside of being the hosed up Soprano manchild. The army could have been a chance like that for him again. But then they just pull him back into the toxic swamp with the allure of money and an easy life.

On the other hand, I would have given him 5 min in Iraq before he gets blown up trying to operate an espresso maker or drowns in the shower. They kinda saved his life.

AJ would have been drummed out when things got hard and he started threatening self harm.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Loss is somewhere in this shirt...

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The botched hits are one of my favorite parts of the show. The Mustang Sally hit is so darkly slapstick.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Silvio and Carlo killing Fat Dom is a great moment there too, where Dom can't resist one joke too many but despite all the jokes being aimed at Carlo, and Silvio playing peacemaker, it's Silvio who snaps first and attacks :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSoeSscFZX0

The shot of Dom flopping back on the table is just a tremendous piece of work.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

People seem to be exceptionally bad about reading the text when it comes to mob movies. I've commonly seen people claim Goodfellas glorifies the mob and I'm like, "did we even watch the same thing?"

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Hill was also relieved because Tommy was having sex with Karen for years and Henry couldn't do anything about it. They purposely left that out of the movie because holy poo poo.

Wow yeah that puts a new layer on things.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Rochallor posted:

Having now finished the series and read through a good chunk of this thread, here are some stray observations and comments on conversations people have probably been having for 25 years now:

-The episode Christopher has aged like fine wine and is an incredibly funny exploration of the Italian-American persecution complex. It's also one of the few times Tony has an enlightened position as he's trying to reassure Silvio that his heritage doesn't have any effect on his station in life.

That episode was interesting to me also because of the distinct lack of knowledge these loud and proud Italian-Americans have about their people's own history in the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March...ican%20history.

"The March 14, 1891, New Orleans lynchings were the murders of 11 Italian Americans and immigrants in New Orleans, Louisiana, by a mob for their alleged role in the murder of police chief David Hennessy after some of them had been acquitted at trial. It was the largest single mass lynching in American history."

"As part of a wider effort to ease tensions with Italy and placate Italian Americans, President Benjamin Harrison declared the first nationwide celebration of Columbus Day in 1892, commemorating the 400th anniversary of the Italian explorer's landing in the New World."

Now that's some *very Silvio voice* Anti-Italian discrimination.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

"Whateveh happened to the strong silent type? Like Christopher Pike?"

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I can't watch this scene late at night when I'm home alone. It's really similar to how my sleep paralysis shadow people appear.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

His house looked like poo poo.

But seriously, that would be fun and novel for at best a week.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Another Bill posted:

This is the only time I've ever seen a graphic sex assault turned into a punchline because of how consistently it features in the Previously on.... montages.

It's literally the first thing I think of when I see that actor in other stuff.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I dunno, I always got the impression and please pardon the pun, that Vito knew killing the boss's daughter's boyfriend was a bad idea so he was gonna suck up to him and buy Finn's silence.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

"Oof, madone, gotta whack another one of Meadow's boyfriends."

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The pinky swear is like, all time incredible hack poo poo. I kind of love it for being so bad.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Honestly if that was the kind of thing they were gonna do I wish it had just been full on ridiculous. Have young Tony getting his learner's permit and driving through Jersey with the show theme playing and poo poo.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The ghost of Christopher narrating was certainly a choice.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The only way it could have been better is if they had the cat Paulie thought was Christopher narrate scenes with a little CGI mouth.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I really love the half a beat where the car rolls back before shooting forward.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Y'all reminded me I accidentally bought "extra pulp" orange juice once for mixing drinks. Having a chewy screwdriver once was enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Y'all about to make me start another re-watch.