Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Worth pointing out that this is an excerpt from a new book, The Sopranos Sessions, which has a ton of conversations with Chase as well as new recaps of every episode and further discussion. I got it and have rewatched the first season while reading through and it’s well worth it for any fans of the show.

I checked out this book on Amazon and holy poo poo this review, I think this guy should just write his own book:

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get past page 60. posted:

I pre-ordered this book and put down what I was in the middle of reading when it arrived. Now I'm putting this book down and going back to what I was reading before it arrived. When I finish that I'll pick this back up and restart at page 327, "The David Chase Sessions."

The entertainment value of analysis within this book is subjective, similar to a history class. To me, this is why 2-5 stars exist. Glaring flaws indicative of a rushed product or sheer ignorance is objective, similar to a history class. This is why 1 star exists.

I don't only believe The Sopranos was the best TV show ever made, I believe it to be the best thing ever put on film. I consider myself a hardcore fan that has strong opinions about not only the action, but the depth of the product. I find myself discussing the art of "Isabella," the hallucinogenic brilliance of "Funhouse," The Kinks within "University," and perfected acting within "Whoever Did This" in crowds who are usually caught up with "Pine Barrens" and "Made in America." I don't have extended discussions about the end of the show. My response is typically one sentence - "David Chase doesn't give us puzzles to solve; he shows us everything that happens." I say this because I am constantly interested in the opinions of others just as fanatical about the show as myself. The fatter the book, the better.

The book goes by the formula of breaking down every episode. Fine by me. From the pilot synopsis, I immediately got the impression that this section of the book was written by someone watching the episode for the first time and pausing between scenes to write a college paper. There is so much missed. There's not even a mention of Chrissy's introductory scene, or its depiction unmotivated gen x to gen y bleed over behavior applicable to every character at or under 35 within the show (Brendan, Jackie Jr., Matthew Bevilaqua, AJ, Ade, and so on). This is a miss.

Tony tells Melfie he loves her. According to the book, she shows strength in standing firm against this. The book missed Melfie's third dimension - that she changed her appearance in the next two sessions and brought this love up herself when Tony didn't. This is a miss.

There's no mention of the true importance behind the "one time only scene preceding the opening credits" of ep 2. No mention of the camera shots to big Puss when rats turning states on the television is blatantly shooting a premonition across our bow. The shots to Chrissy when drugs are mentioned. Another miss.

When I hit page 60 and read that "Mikey was a human being who had a wife that loved him" using her performance in front of the news camera as evidence, I remembered his final words to her from the actual show: "Go take a Midol." Sorry fellas, you were correct the first time when you mentioned Mikey was "essentially a comic character." You should've stopped there. This is a glaring mistake and, you guessed it, another miss.

There are many more which I'm not going to break down for the sake of keeping this review somewhat brief. When I don't like what I'm reading, or find glaring mistakes in what I'm reading, I have no shame in putting a book down. I'm finished with the meat & potatoes of this book and hopefully I'll return and find some quality within the David Chase Sessions. Unfortunately I chalk up what I've read to a 20th anniversary cash grab and I'm angry that I contributed to it.

I say stick to your favorite blog on this subject. Continue watching a show that refuses to age itself. Talk to your friends about it. Think of these words before you buy the book, or take them with a grain of salt. You are free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I'm sure its already been posted here and I've missed it but theres a Sopranos rewatch podcast with Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa. Between this and the Scrubs one I'm loving these deep dives to give us something to do during quarantine.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/talking-sopranos/id1500453500

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

lmao at the frozen and terminator paintings. Looks like the type of thing you see on the side of a fairground ride.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

stev posted:

Wikipedia says it's going to be set during the 1967 Newark riots. Making Tony around 10?

I've read set between 60s and 70s so probably jumps forward at some point. Google says tony was born in 59 so 8 years old in 67, Mike Galdofini is 21 now.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

pentyne posted:

Apparently Trump was a huge piece of poo poo to everyone involved and made the entire shoot lighting set up so you couldn't see through his hair.

I think we're lucky Trump was never in the show, it seems like a thing him and them would be up for.

Which characters would vote for Trump? Basically all of them?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Sinteres posted:

In the episode where Melfi points all this out, I'm pretty sure hair color is one of the things mentioned, with Tony triumphally pointing out that Carmela's blonde and Melfi saying she's the exception, in what I recall as an approving way. Melfi's probably the part of the show that's aged the worst, so having her be wrong about it is fine I guess, but it just feels pointless to me, like beating a dead horse. Yeah we get it, Tony has weird poo poo going on with his mother! Making her retroactively look like his wife too (which was not the case in the flashbacks) just seems like a bit much even for a show that had a psychoanalyst literally telling the audience what's going on in the protagonist's head throughout its run.

I really think they only casted with matching Livia in mind, she doesn't look too much like Carmela to me, I wouldn't be surprised if any similarly is a coincidence.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
An Evening at Tony Soprano's House with LA Beast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acJgtJGZ_GU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Father Phil will always be Chapelle from 24.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I googled cinema listings here in the UK and some are showing screenings for tomorrow, thats a mistake right its only out the 22?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Movie spoilers

It definitely feels like there’s a whole other movies worth of stuff that got cut? Some people like Paulie were barely in it.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I think I heard as well as the cut Edie Falco scene, they had a version with Paulie as the opening as well. I disagree with you tbh, since this version of the film ended up being the Dickie story, Christopher narrating was the only one that made sense. Maybe earlier drafts were more of an ensemble. Like Edie Falco would be bizarre to open the film since we only see young Carmela once.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Vegetable posted:

The domestic abuse scenes were harder to watch than the brutal gang violence. I don’t know if what that says about me :v:

I think that’s probably universal finding the more relatable stuff harder to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Luff posted:

Speaking of Gandolfini's career, is that TV movie remake of 12 Angry Men starring him any good?

I remember thinking it was great but also kind of pointless with the original being so perfect already.