Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The wife and I just finished watching the show for the first time last night, and we definitely enjoyed it.

I do feel like Season 6B is kind of messy, although it has good episodes. I find it a little odd that the AJ stuff dominates so much of the back half of the season after he has been pretty much a background character for awhile by that point in the show.

Phil’s death scene was just so great and probably the best one of any of the main ‘antagonists’ of the show besides the Richie Aprile death scene.

We’re going to watch The Many Saints of Newark soon but I’ve heard it’s somewhat divisive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’ve watched all sorts of trash so I will watch it anyway

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Do we know if the FBI stuff was supposed to have a bigger role in the series towards the end or not

I ask because Agent Harris is around all of the time with his buddy the actor who was on House of Cards, but there really isn’t any payoff for that until the final episode. But earlier in the show the FBI were constantly getting close to Tony about up to the point where Adriana gets killed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So I’m reading that in Many Saints of Newark we find out that Junior Soprano had Dickie Moltisanti killed. I felt like something was off in the episode where Tony gives Chris the identity of his father’s killer. Do we think he also knew Junior killed him?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There are definitely a lot of writers who lose their touch over time. He just may be one of them. Looking at his filmography, the only things he did post-Sopranos were one movie with James Gandolfini and the Many Saints of Newark. That's it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

It feels like a movie Christopher would make about the family after going into witness protection, like ghostbusters another fuckin money machine!
The best thing about the fake movie Cleaver is that they had aspirations to get Sir Ben Kingsley (who has been in all sorts of trash movies) but had to settle for a lesser Baldwin brother.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mike N Eich posted:

You start feeling like the film is gathering some momentum and then it immediately ends. Somehow it all feels like less than the sum of its parts.
Wasn't there a rumor at one point that there would be more than one movie, or a miniseries or something? That might be why.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I love the Catholic stuff in Paulie's arc, it reminds me of The Witch, in that it's psychological horror. IMO when Paulie is alone at the end, he's not just scared of dying alone, but of literal Damnation. The Earthly pleasures he bargained for are coming to an end.
I like the episode where he is setting up at the festival and it’s a total shitshow because the Catholic priest shakes him down

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Can we talk about how Carmela always picks the worst people to be attracted to? Between the priest, the carpenter guy, and later Furio, just a lot of bad decisions all around.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think there were sincere feelings. He was actually interested in her, he encouraged how much she likes to read, they went out to dinner and had long conversations without Johnny Sack showing up, etc. There’s a moment where she looks at herself in his bathroom mirror in the middle of the night and it may be the happiest we’ve ever seen her on the show.
Yeah that was the closest she gets to being done with Tony for another man I think

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ulvir posted:

i’m not catholic by any stretch, my country’s been lutheran for several centuries already. but I am getting a strong sense that monsignor Jughead is being extremely unprofessional with how he handles Carmela’s confession after sleeping with Wegler.
I mean he's extremely unprofessional from like appearance one on the show where it's very clear he really wants to gently caress Carmela but can't do it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That was definitely jealousy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah that’s the good old Catholic Church

Compare that to when she briefly sees the Jewish therapist and he’s like ‘uhhh you’re absolutely complicit in his crimes’

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Not a huge surprise...if The Sopranos had been set like 20 years later most of the characters would have been MAGA heads

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/BobbyBigWheel/status/1657794404432658434?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

No idea why Twitter is censoring that on the link, but the site is basically broken at this point

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I can see why people have the theory that Phil is closeted if you read into it enough

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

His wife seems to be a bigger piece of poo poo than he is, somehow.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think it was maybe two

El Camino was fine but it's not really necessary

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1667503497317605383?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I laughed out loud when that happened in the episode

Just incredible

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The best thread of The Sopranos is this, and also the fact that every few episodes some Sopranos family member starts adopting sayings from Livia. Tony, AJ, Meadow, and Janice at least. I don't recall Carmela borrowing the sayings but the other members of the family all do.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Janice's last ever scene is I think her talking about how glad she is that she isn't anything like Livia, while simultaneously complaining about a lack of financial security while reclining outside her giant house and even repeating some of Livia's dismissive physical gestures.
Yeah you can see throughout the series that despite hating her mother, by the end of the show she's just a younger Livia. Down to being a widow.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I had no idea until i finally watched the show how much of it is a comedy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Livia funeral episode has to be one of the best of the entire series. Just with how everyone keeps trying to avoid saying how lovely she was as a person until near the end of the episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

At least she didn’t suffer.
That was the running joke of the episode and it's amazing

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pretty sure he was referring to the race horse since that had happened recently

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I always think of the episode where they go to Italy, especially the dinner scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-eHk4RiIso
Everything with Paulie in Italy is classic

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently nobody could deal with Robert Loggia on set so they wrote his character off the show

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/joergannascoli/status/1684199775527137283?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There’s a lot of weird poo poo in the last season. The coma stuff just feels extremely indulgent and kind of fits into some of the pet theories I’ve heard that the showrunner was just loving with the audience at times. The way the Melfi stuff just ends in a wet fart is also frustrating.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's weird that the gambling thing keeps being mentioned as "coming out of nowhere" because Tony is shown to stop giving a poo poo about a lot of stuff first because of the separation and then getting shot. Right before Little Carmine sits down to lunch with him in "Stage 5" Tony's making a bunch of personal bets on the phone.
The gambling ‘subplot’ doesn’t really end up going anywhere, and that was a bit frustrating. The payoff is that he ruins his relationship with Hesh over a debt and also Hesh’s wife dies. That’s about it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was amused watching the first two-parter of Star Trek Enterprise Season 4 that they stunt-casted Steve Schirripa as a mobster fighting Nazis in a time-altered 1944

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

Meadow 100% becomes a politician. Like a lovely centrist Democrat.
One hundred percent

A lovely Dem who occasionally rails against people talking about The Mob

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s possible, but I think she becomes some DNC lawyer myself

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

Oh yeah Paulie might be the biggest psycho on the show.
He’s up there but I still think it’s Phil Leotardo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wiltsghost posted:

Feel bad for laughing at this scene as hard as I did last night because it is pretty hosed up. Paulie's ohhh is an all timer here. The next scene is so funny too because Paulie and Chris bury the hatchet and say they are lucky no one got seriously hurt in the squabble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrQwN8JorDk
This is easily a top 5 show scene for me

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/akkkkuuuuuu/status/1692002274359345362?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The FBI stuff at that point doesn’t really result in much

The bugged lamp ends up a big nothingburger. It isn’t until Adrianna gets caught for drugs that the FBI stuff really picks up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Didn't Patsy get a promotion at the end of the show? I don't see why he would have killed Tony at that point when he had plenty of chances to do it earlier.