Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Janice was the worst.

I mean can we wonder why we see Tony's other sister like three times in the show? She is the only one who got out of that terrible family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

crispix posted:

I always remember Melfi reading out Tony's apology letter to her psychiatrist, Elliott. I am reminded of it to this day every time I read something written by a dumb person trying to come across proper. :laugh:

And Tony was actually smarter then most of the mobsters in the show...he had some intellectual curiosity, watched history shows, corrected lot of the other guys on their mistakes, had a "semester-and-a-half at Seton Hall" etc.

Dawgstar posted:

Does Tony actually kick up to anybody in New York? I was under impression they just split stuff like the Esplanade project instead.

Yeah, I thought Jersey was more of an independent junior partner to (forget the name) one of the Five Families.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 26, 2019

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Basebf555 posted:

Just in general I've never been exactly clear on what the New York/Jersey relationship entails. Obviously everyone understands that NY is more powerful, and so they defer to people like Johnny Sack, but is someone like Sack considered to be a New Jersey capo's direct superior? Or is it more just a traditional thing where NY is respected and feared but there's no "official" hierarchy that says Jersey has to do what they say?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeCavalcante_crime_family

Apparently what DiMeo crime family was partly based on.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dawgstar posted:

To tie in it's also funny that the reason Furio doesn't like Christopher Columbus is he's from the north.

Also, Carmela's mom, who was dismayed that Meadow was born "so dark" and wanted Carmela to marry someone other than Sicilian-descended Tony for the other side of the North/South inter-Italian racism.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jerusalem posted:

I kind of went off on an extended incoherent, inarticulate rant about perceptions of masculinity about halfway through there so it's a bit longer than it should have been, sorry!

Your writeups are awesome. I forgot how excellent Season 1 really was.

Kevyn posted:

Tony’s family isn’t from Sicily, they’re from Avellino, near Naples.

drat, and they mention it multiple times in the show too. Chalk that up to minor racism on my part then... :negative:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 31, 2019

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Wait, SOPRANOS PREQUEL?

Google: Aw hell a film instead of a show. Still great though.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Your Gay Uncle posted:

He's in The Deuce but he doesn't really have much to do in the show except sweep. He seems fine though, I doubt David Chase would be sentimental enough to just cast Gandolfini's son,he's probably got some chops.

Sweep and get in trouble with them whooaars

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I honestly skip the dream sequences...Jerusalem's recaps have been useful at revealing the meaning behind them but I think Tony Soprano is just 1000x more interesting in the "real world". Still the best single character performance to me, even if I rate the Wire higher as a whole show. He is just sort of helpless in the dreams, and it contrasts with how he is in reality. Just such an uncompromising domineering boss (except with the women in his life, I suppose).

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zaphod42 posted:

I really like that moment with Johnny Sack going "hey, what about capo?" and Ralphie goes "no, no way"

And then later he's like "Ralphie suggested Capo, but I threw cold water on it right away"

Its such a clear double-face moment, I love that. But like you said, Johnny is also like the only level-headed guy there, who doesn't give a poo poo and just wants things to go on making money.

Except when it's about Ginny Sack's fat rear end

I can't wait for that ep writeup!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My favorite ep for sure.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea it’s a pump and dump, which is why the two idiots beat that guy up for pushing different stocks. Also seems like the most complex scam they run

What about the Esplanade? I mean it sounds pretty complex and Ralph was basically not murdered by the first person he met in the morning because he seemed to be intelligent enough to be able to do some well, I assume complex stuff...I have no idea how the mafia makes money out of construction though.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

She scoffs when he suggests he is trying to get out, noting that he will never leave Carmela: she may leave him, but he will never leave her. She is the one good female relationship outside of his mother he has ever had, the only one who is NOT exactly like his mother, and his own selfishness won't let him give that up.

Tony Soprano never got owned as hard in the show as he got owned right there.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DropsySufferer posted:

What I didn't understand about that episode was why Carmela was so resistant to military school. Was it because she didn't want her son to leave her? Personally I think the school might have been good for AJ to have had some discipline and direction in his life. Granted I've never met anyone who went to military school so I'm not sure if those schools are good for curing spoiled, and bad kids or if it is brainwashing?

She is an Italian(-American) mother? Tony's mom was an exception that makes the rule. Well Christopher's mom was no prize either.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtW0e-JW8Cc

This is a really good video

S4E1 is really, really good. I love opening and ending the episode on World Destruction.

Again, I love how the show's editing can reveal such clear double-facedness on the characters. Tony talks to Junior and tells him that things are fine and they are how they are, and he dares not give Junior any more money, and then turns around and berates the poo poo out of his captains for not kicking up enough to Junior like he deserves. HE isn't gonna fix things, but THEY should. Yeah, chain of command, but still.

Similarly, Paulie calling up Johnny Sack and ratting about the joke on his wife right away. And clearly looking for something in return.

Tony railing to his Captains is my favorite mob scene in the show. Great performance by both Tony and Gandolfini.

"...the BOSS of this family..." :qq:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zaphod42 posted:

But when he gets too frustrated about not being able to retaliate for the joke on his wife, he jumps to talking to Tony about whacking Carmine.

In "The Weight?" I don't recall him talking about whacking Carmine then, but later, when Carmine is being irrational about business with the Sopranos, shutting down the Esplanade and costing Johnny a shitload of money. It's always about the money, unless you're the one with personal misgivings. They're all huge-rear end hypocrites.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Halloween Jack posted:

Apropos of nothing, going back and watching old clips made me realize that Chris has killed a guy with a single headshot at least three times.

After Furio he was probably the best "soldier" these guys had? Well Silvio was a pretty brutal killer too. There aren't too many prominent killers in the Sopranos though, the middle class lifestyle probably grinds it out, all the most legendary hitmen were old school like Bobby's dad. Contrast with the Wire or Narcos where you got more assassins then you can count and they are basically military level compared to these guys.

BiggerBoat posted:

Brandon. Matt Bevalicqua.

Matt's friend was a bigger dumbass too. Also maybe David Scatino.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 24, 2019

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I don't remember a single time anyone even called him that, lol.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
As a foreigner, Jersey has always fascinated me as a state - it is so densely populated and extremely diverse but doesn't really have large cities since it is kind of a suburb for two huge ones. And it seems that every stamp-sized area is its own county/city/town/whatever. There is a lot of poverty but also some of the most affluent places in the whole of U.S. And it is a bit strange that a state has an inferiority complex of sorts towards a city. I wonder how different Sopranos would be if it was about one of the Five Families.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 2, 2019

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Lorraine def. rubs me the wrong way. She is introduced as someone who has made in the mafia and then the rest of her story is basically just a humiliation conga. It seemed to shout "chicks can't make it in the mob", which contrasted with absolutely imperious Annalisa in "Commendatori" is a weird tack to take.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Cazzata Malanga, or "loving Malanga"- that apparently being "Little" Pussy Malanga, the guy Junior was going to have whacked at Vesuvio.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, that’s why Junior had Tony helping him dig up his backyard in the beginning of that episode. Junior was convinced that he had buried cash from the “Boat Hall Heist”(?) in his backyard and Little Pussy Malanga knew about it.

Man, what did that guy do to Junior?!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

This led me to wonder who the characters in Sopranos would have voted for until I realized that they probably just don't vote and are extremely politically uninterested throughout the show (besides corrupt city and labor politics, obviously). Meadow is probably the only one who would go to the polls (Clinton)....maybe Hesh (Clinton too for obvious reasons).

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Sometimes this show makes you just remember that these are bad people

Which is like every fifteen seconds now that I think about it, so it makes you remember these are really really really bad people, that was definitely one of those episodes.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BiggerBoat posted:

If he hadn't dropped his gun at the diner he could have used that.

Speaking of that, isn't that a trope from The Godfather that you always drop the gun at the scene but that's not really true or what these guys actually do? Pretty sure I heard it in a wiseguy podcast/interview or something that no hit man would deliberately leave a murder weapon at the scene, which makes sense.

I guess the thinking goes you don't want to be caught with it but you probably don't want the cops to have it either whether it's traceable or not.

In the Wire they just tossed it to a river after a hit. Looking at the amount of unsolved crime murders in the U.S. it does not seem to be exactly CSI-tight in regards to investigations and mob guys have alibis and lawyers out the rear end so I am not entirely sure how much of an difference it makes...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Fragmented posted:

Junior killed six dudes.Now print this post out and chew it up and let's never talk about this again.

Well uh, Junior ordered the murder of six people as an old man but he probably personally has murdered way more then that back in the Mafia golden days...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BiggerBoat posted:

Which character actually undergoes any sort of genuine change for the better or a change of their own free will?

Other then Melfi in the last episode...I can't think of any.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Basebf555 posted:

Yea that's a good one. Furio was definitely a cut above the average Jersey goon.

Camorra is a bit more hardcore.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

codo27 posted:

Funny what HD does to your old favorites. Seeing AJ after he had his eyebrows "shaved", he looks like fuckin Emperor Palpatine.

I think gfs favorite thing about the show is waiting to see what awful outfit/hair Carmella will be sporting next

I have to say that 90's - 00's New Jersey Italian-American fashion is uh, a disaster in every way. Between Sopranos and Jersey Shore...*shudders*

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Excellent recap as always. The strong undertone of Catholicism is always pretent in the show but this episode focuses on that and really contrasts with the criminal lifestyle the characters lead. Ultimately though there are lot of parallels too, like with the Priest shaking down Paulie (and getting one over him!), their "Boss" is just God, an authority even over anything Paulie can call on.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jack2142 posted:

I'm pretty sure Mikey Palmice was the only made guy to do cardio and look at where it got him.

Vito must have done some

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jerusalem posted:

Tony's line about how Bobby has no genes is particularly hilarious given how much of Janice and Tony's own personalities are so clearly informed by Livia's overwhelming presence. Though to be fair they both have a heaping helping of their father's utter selfishness as well.

Barbara got the best parts - Johnny's chill (when he isn't beating up someone who owes him money anyway) and Livia's take-no-poo poo attitude ("You'll get your cut Janice, stop plotting") and enough smarts from both to get the gently caress out of Jersey and see her family like few times a year. She is the only Soprano in the show who seems well-adjusted (Meadow is a semi-distant second and the rest exist in a whole different class). She seems to have made all the right choices. They should make a Barbara Soprano joke episode where she just lives a regular life and never loses her poo poo.

Kinda funny how they didn't touch on the big/little sister dynamic further in the show for Tony. If Janice had gotten her life 10% as well together as Barbara Tony would have had a heart attack for real from all the inadequate rage.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 19, 2020

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Vichan posted:

Will Sasso does do an amazing Tony. Have to do a double take every time I first see him in Melfi's office.

Yeah, that's the best after that one youtube impersonator.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

banned from Starbucks posted:

This is the 4th and final of what I call the "last hurrah" episodes where a side character gets a majority of the focus of the episode and then their story is basically done and we never see them again. (Stage 5 for Johnny, Remember When for junior...whatever the one was called with Artie in 6A)

The episodes are great dont get me wrong but they feel I dunno...awkwardly done. Like instead of spacing stuff out over the season they cram it all into 1 episode like "Hey remember Johnny Sack? Yeah hes got cancer and now hes dead. Artie? Oh hes still a joke and a failure, peace Artie!"

Didn't Artie figure that out in the end? I thought he was like one of the few characters to have somewhat of an positive ending.

Crosswell posted:

Here’s the LP I was talking about :

https://lparchive.org/A-Scotsman-In-Egypt/

Jesus, talk about a blast from the past. Completely blanked out that this is Jerusalem's work too. The CK LP too...I was literally 16 when I read this and it started my lifelong interest in strategy games so Jerusalem is definitely in my Top 10 most influential authors too.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 10, 2020

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not eating those was basically the only good decision AJ made in the entire show. That is just an amazing scene. The "AJ what the gently caress?" followed by panic, confusion, anger, concern, then sadness. AJ totally breaking down and desperate, Tony cradling his kid hoping he can make it all better. Both actors loving knock it straight out of the park. This show always hits those big moments right out of the park. That's something that really separates The Sopranos from a lot of other prestige shows. The actors and the writing always seems to be just so natural and effortless.

I can't separate any of them from the characters they play. Few shows have casting as good.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

phasmid posted:

Listen to Mr. Big Tough Mob Boss.

Oh, Meadow, no. Oh, child.

Fastest turn from joke to terrifying in the show history. It is rare when Mr. Big Tough Mob Boss shows up to his family, but when he does, Gandolfini really shows his my scale. Of all the things in the show, he never really loses a confontration. At least with the other monsters, that is.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GoutPatrol posted:

Good thing this show is only featuring pure blood Sicilians then

I thought they were Calabrians

Bip Roberts posted:

Wait, is the mob in Naples run by Sicilians?

I got Calabria and Campania mixed up, Campanians

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 2, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I must be one of the few who had zero problems with Tony B and it is one of my favorite storylines.

I only felt the suspension of disbelief when Janice said he "used to be a fox" in his youth. It's Steve Buscemi. I love the man, but come on Janice.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Peaky Blinders does the whole WWI veteran gangster with PTSD/Taking over a city thing so much better than Boardwalk Empire. Speaking of shows Jerusalem should cover.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
In regards to Tony's intelligence - I always thought he was smarter than most of the other mobsters, with some exceptions (Carmine Sr, Johnny Sack, Tony B, Ralph?). He had intellectual curiosity in things outside his daily life from military history to animals, went to college, was generally more successful then his peers even as a capo ("You've seen my house."), could carry out a conversation with people from all walks of life. However, he is a big fish in a small pond because most of the other mobsters are genuinely loving stupid and he wouldn't be remarkable at all outside that life.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
(Like I previously said) Tony is quite smart for his environment. There are only handful of people who can hang out with him on an intellectual level in his peer group. There are countless scenes where he is talking about something outside their area of interest and knowledge (mob life, general Italian-American culture) and gets nothing but blank stares or hilarious malapropisms. Part of intelligence is also having at least bare bones interest in educating yourself on something.

Additionally during the course of the show there is actually a good amount of different people from lot of different walks of life he can carry out a conversation with over lot of topics without seeming like a moron. Half the conversations the other mobsters have with people who aren't mobsters seem to end in arguments or violence. So Tony has both social intelligence (also shown in the aforementioned managing of his crew) and actual knowledge in comparison.

He's nothing special but he is not stupid for any environment, I think that is taken too far by some people. Had he been equally raised in say, a cutthroat business family (legal one) he probably would have been successful there as well. In his actual job he has a pretty stellar career path by all accounts. Low cunning only gets you so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BiggerBoat posted:

People are touching on it but this show does a tremendous job overall of making the viewer sympathetic to an entire cast full of absolute monster characters. It's a testament to the quality of the writing and also the acting.

Yup.

I don't know if it is just because we see her interacting mostly with Tony and she is the biggest monster in his life, but Livia is the only one I never felt bad for. The second most evil mother I have seen on drama TV (horror is a whole other genre of course).