Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mike N Eich posted:

Yeah this is true - and not to pick on the below comment about Livia (because I'm also guilty of this) its amazing how hard it is for audiences to sympathize with women in a similar situation.

If mob movies have shown us one thing, its that audiences have a really hard time not relishing in the violence, power, machismo and lavish lifestyles of rich, powerful, bad dudes. I think the Sopranos does a relatively responsible job in disentangling that, but still can't fully escape from all of its trappings.

Meanwhile, we're given more than a few glimpses that Livia was more complicated than the completely sadistic monster Tony thinks she is, and yet nearly all of us have a very hard time extending the same empathy for her.

It's true. Again, only because we see very little of him and he is idolized in Tony's mind, his father seems a halfway likable figure even though he probably actually physically disclipined his children and surely actually murdered like a dozen people just by the virtue of being in the mob in the 60's-70's.

For another uh, grand study in this subject, Animal Kingdom has the most evil mother ever IMHO and they do a huge deep dive on her - and you do sympathize with her at many points and feel bad after. It's not Sopranos-tier show (but hey like five shows are) but holy loving poo poo does it have it beat on hosed-up maternal (and grandmaternal!) relationships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I'm just straight up not paying attention to trailers, tbh. I'll wait for the release and the critical reviews before I start worrying

I was so desperate to go to the movies again after COVID that I let myself get trailer tricked for the first time in like seven years. Never again. (It will absolutely happen again). I don't even trust like, the Dune trailer, now. Don't go watch Free Guy if you already haven't :argh:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's also interesting that he's fixated on the reaction to the series finale and not the collective meh that greeted the movie that everyone's already forgotten about.

Ha, just watched it and had this exact same reaction, wondering what the thread's reaction was...guess it was the same? Didn't hate it, didn't love it, thought Silvio's actor was way too old (I always thought he was the same age as Tony and Jackie).

EDIT: also Livia's actor was ON POINT drat perfect casting. Less so for his dad imho, the actor in the show was a really good mix of affable and ruthless. This dad just seemed like a dick.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 5, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

banned from Starbucks posted:

The Shields ending was so much more satisfying