Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Eyyyyyy I just read this whole thread. Oh if only I had known there was a devoted Sopranos thread going on a year ago to distract from the anxiety and doldrums of pandemic. I love me some motherfucking loving Sopranos and Jerusalem’s write ups are fantastic.

Jumping in with a couple random obsessive thoughts.

Jerusalem posted:

"She was my best friend," says a quiet little voice, and in a rather heartbreaking moment a woman named Fanny in a wheelchair is really seen by everybody for the first time as they step aside to give her the center stage. Speaking without irony, without malice, Fanny explains how she could always rely on "Li" to give her a call to keep her up to date on everything that was happening, which at their age usually meant a death or a hospitalization. Fanny speaks without understanding Livia's cruel fascination with the death and misfortune of others, but it doesn't diminish the very real fact that this one woman at least had nothing but genuine affection and care for Livia Soprano. She is probably the only person present who did, at this farce of a "celebration" by people who either didn't know her, didn't care for her, or outright hated her.

You forgot to mention Fanny was the woman Livia sent bouncing off the windshield of her car in an earlier episode! Lol that the only person who actually liked Livia ended up in a wheelchair because of her.

On my first watch of the show years ago I had a completely different take than I have seen discussed here on the snobby professor’s “they never export the best pieces” comment about the Beretta shotgun. From the way he first mentions the manufacturer dating back to the 1500s then he says the line and it cuts to all the guys looking hurt and confused and Tony walks away, I thought it was meant as an insult directed at them personally, masked as a comment about the quality of the gun. Kind of like Trump’s lovely “they’re not sending their best” comments, I thought Dr. Fegoli was straight up calling them descendants of lower class immigrants to their faces. Maybe that’s me reading more into it than was written and he just meant he thinks the gun was smuggled.

For some reason I just love this moment where Paulie calls Sil a wormy cocksucker and they both stand up glaring at each other with their shoulders hunched and their hairdos almost touching. OHHH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQKuZ8FgNi8

Manson Lamps would be a top notch user name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

King Cocoa Butter posted:

I'm at the Finn part now and I forgot how funny this was. When he's not into the chili for dinner after witnessing the beating, seeing The BJ before work, the constant "if you want. no if YOU want" back and forth with Meadow. We've all been there!

I related to Finn falling asleep mid argument due to sheer exhaustion from arguing.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I don’t know if it was an intentional character detail but I always thought that the way Matt Bevilaqua (cheese gently caress) talked was him doing an over exaggerated impression of Tony Soprano because he thought that would impress him.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

sfogliatelle

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

It just now occurred to me that “Many Saints”translates to “Moltisanti”

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Another Bill posted:

The guy who swears a lot is named Swearegen.

You cocksuckin HOOPLEHEAD

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I paused this shot of inside the pork store.
Who are these guys? Is that Paulie at the end of the table and Sil standing?

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Massive Genius vs. Hesh music rights lawsuit and counter suit never happened as far as we know.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

Holy hell. Proshai, Livushka might be Janice at her absolute worst/most annoying... eh I'm sure she'll top it with so much of the series to go.

The way Janice uses her speech at the memorial to talk about Livia being the reason she became a Video Artist as if that’s something she’s well known for is especially irritating.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Bug spray was dirty af

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Psycho Mantits posted:

On my third or fourth rewatch of the series, just finished Army of One last night. Any idea what Chase (or Patterson I guess) was going for with that ending? Seems strange to me to have Junior's wonderful singing get dubbed over by those other songs.

Hey, we’re at the same place in the rewatch!
I was wondering the same thing and I kind of took it as showing us that all cultures have songs that make old folks misty-eyed. There’s like a Chinese song, a Mexican song I think. Something about having a connection to the past being a universal thing? I dunno.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Rest in Peeps

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I just rewatched the scene with Tony giving sage advice to Christopher about how best to squash his beef with Paulie, intercut with maniacal Paulie doing donuts on Christopher’s lawn in his Cadillac with that amazing scowl on his face. I forgot how funny that was.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

An appearance of the Atwells Avenue Boys in their prime in Many Saints of Newark would be amazing.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

That’s dicked up

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I’m probably missing some hidden trick but in this moment I’m quite impressed by the orangutan’s handling of that golf cart.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

This is how a guy like me makes a living, this is my bread and butta

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Ride a painted pony, let the spinnin’ wheel glide

eh?

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I never thought of this before but early in the series, when Uncle Junior was still mostly on top of things as boss and enjoying life, he had his beautiful younger girlfriend Bobbie who loved him. After he dumped her so callously and he began to decline, he ended up with a new Bobby to take care of him and love him, but this time it was… Bobby. I wonder if those two characters having the same name was intentional.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I love this scene
https://youtu.be/cxxmQZEbeFk
“What the gently caress? Why is this his song?”

RIP Commendatori

Edit: what the gently caress, that wasn’t even his song

Ralph Hurley fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 10, 2022

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

lol I didn’t even check

Fixed

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I just started watching Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell and it took me an episode or two to figure out where I recognized Satan from

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

He really steals the show, from the first scene he’s in it’s like oh poo poo

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

“I am reminded of Lewis the Whatever’s finance minister… The Something”

I always find it funny that people on the show, Tony and Paulie in particular, think there was a person called Prince Machavelli. Niccolo Machiavelli was an Italian diplomat who wrote “the Prince” during the Renaissance and that’s where they get their quotes about how to destroy your enemies and stuff. Prince Matchabelli is a perfume company.

Keep your eye on the Tiger.

Ralph Hurley fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 10, 2022

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Hasidim but I don’t believe ’em!

heh heh heh heh

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

I always read her getting the Crazy Horse as a way to make up for her failed career in music.

It’s this. Chris realized that the music world was going to be nothing but a series of either Massive Geniuses who would try to gently caress her or Visiting Days that would just be… lovely bands. When he played the meow song for Hesh he realized that neither he nor Ade had any aptitude for producing music so rather than break her heart, he bought her a club so she could still feel like she was involved with talented musicians by way of booking bands.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Soft Tar!
The roof is SOFT TAAARRR!

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

https://youtu.be/LtTPVcP5WLQ

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

ngl that scene wigged me the gently caress out my first time watching the show and I felt real dread knowing it was coming the next time I binged it.

That’s exactly how my own nightmares often end, staring at something I can’t really see or comprehend until my psyche can’t handle it anymore.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Apparently, he came all over the sun visor.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I’m a fan of how much thought Paulie put in to the structure of divine punishment, pointing out to Chris the differences between Hell and Purgatory, down to how many years his own sins will get him sentenced to and that Hell is indisputably hot and the demons there have horns or horn buds (lol).

In that scene he seems to be saying all this more to reassure himself than Chris that their crimes and mortal sins aren’t that bad. But then there’s another scene (I forget which episode) where Paulie wakes up from a nightmare screaming “they’re dragging me to hell!” and it’s kind of implied that dream is a regular occurrence for him. Paulie thinks about Hell a lot.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

ulvir posted:

artie bucco's exaggerated gesturing is always super funny

My favorite is this scene where Tony gets pissed and throws Artie out of the Bing but Artie keeps twirling around to glare at Tony as he’s getting shoved out the door.
https://youtu.be/lonfT9ITxhk
Lol

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

MokBa posted:

I have definitely had the exact experience of taking a drug and being overwhelmed with the thought of "I GET IT!!" thinking you've suddenly solved all the mysteries of existence. Then the drugs wear off and you have no idea what it was that you actually "got". I think that was the only time I found Tony relatable.

That’s some nutty poo poo… the desert… the light… oh yeah you kiddin? off the fuckin charts.

And the sun… came up.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Mmmboy are you FAT!

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

My favorite Patsy moment is when dumbass Chris starts yelling at him about stolen floor tiles or some poo poo and adds “don’t think I forgot about you goin through my fiancé’s underwear drawer” and Patsy shoots back “that wasn’t me you JERK!” while Ade is sitting in the car in shock watching the whole thing. Then Patsy hits a guy in the head with a pipe. It’s total chaos and nobody has any clue what’s going on.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

The funniest thing about that scene to me is Tony and Sil glancing down at a little card that had his name on it like they never knew the guy’s name was anything but Peeps either.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Tony and Chris outside Satriale’s watching Phil Leotardo walk away

Chris: what’d that prick want?

Tony: he’s really something, isn’t he with that fuckin jerkoff face

Chris: the eyebrows, I can’t fuckin stand him
*wiggles his own enormous eyebrows*

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Zelman all casual like “oh hi Tony. What brings you here?” to a man who not only showed up unannounced at his house in the middle of the night but made his way up to the bedroom and is looming over him and removing his belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Don’t you knock? I coulda been in the nude!