Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What's the general opinion on Many Saints? I thought it was mostly just a whole lot of fun from an "impersonations as acting" standpoint, but the story was meh

Repeating what I posted somewhere else: Gandolfini's son is does one hell of a job playing his dad (and looking exactly like him/how he would have looked), and the rest of the rogue's gallery I just kept bursting out laughing at every little physical trait, like Silvio stalking around with his arms stuck out like a scarecrow and combing his toupee, or Paulie being more Paulie than Paulie or Junior being more Junior than Junior. Even Janice and Carmela and Livia were picture-perfect studies in mannerisms and gestures and vocal tics (like Livia's little dismissive hand-wave thing). It was nuts and I about lost it at "he doesn't have the makings of a varsity athlete"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think about the most implausible thing about the whole show is that someone who started off his screenwriting career all "it took me 30 minutes to write, I thought it would take 30 minutes to read" ends up finishing an actual script that gets filmed and has a generally reasonable reception among industry people (albeit highly genre)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've always wondered what it is like for actual Italian people when they hear people speaking in affected American Italian accents, or saying a name like Furio as though it's "fyooo-rio"

Surely locally it would be more like "foorio"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always made a point of watching the whole intro every time, it just sets the tone so well. That weary half-smile Tony does as he hoists himself out of the car, like "here we fuckin go again"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gordon Ramsay shaking his head sadly at the state of the walk-in freezer

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dokapon Findom posted:

For those unaware, the drive sequence in the opening credits is not contiguous; it will take you all over New Jersey :spergin:

I mean, maybe more like "a couple of excursions within a 10 mile radius" but otherwise it's broadly plausible

Can't see the Statue of Liberty from the NJTP for sure though

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat, that never even occurred to me to notice

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I saw that movie Medicine Man a little while ago and wow she was rough at that point in her career

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pirate Radar posted:

The guy they were going to have whack Carmine Sr. before Tony changed his mind and had Benny and the other guy clean up the loose ends was named Credenzo, which sounds like a name that dropped off a racist chain email about a woman naming her kids after furniture

I mean, back when the show was new and I hadn't seen it I thought just the name "Soprano" was supposed to be a joke about a mob family who is fighting for respect after being cursed with a name that makes them sound all :gay: or something.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They're hardcore, but they're also internally ridiculous in their own way. Everyone's still doing all this weird kayfabe and pretending that obviously incompetent/incapable bosses are formidable, while presenting an impenetrable front to the outsiders, that sort of thing.

(Might be misremembering the details of how that went down but that's the impression I was left with)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whats that? Italian noises?
Bangin on those bongos like a chimpanzee

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Making the same exact face in his avatar

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋