Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What's the story about how generous Gandolfini was to the cast? Something about only him getting a huge cut of the DVD revenues, none of the other cast got that, and he wrote massive checks to each member of the main cast to make up for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Long Term Parking

Ade: Matoush has cleaned up his act. he's really religious now, prays several times a day, and sends all his money to his brother

FBI: In Pakistan.

Ade: He runs a prep school for boys or something. What?

Like that entire exchange the whole terrorism subtext is just hanging there while she's pleading about how nice he is and how it was an accident when this guy cleans up a murder like a pro.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think one of the better brief storylines was when Gene was trying to get out of the life to save his son/family and retire and both the government and the family refused to let him go. Killing himself really was the best solution to the problem to get his son help and his family far away from all the problems.

The scene with him giving Tony his 'taste' of the inheritance was pretty gross too. He clearly wanted to buy his way out but Tony took it and send Silvio to give him the bad news.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Tony really is completely reprehensible through the entire run.

Some of the best are the blatant lies he tells to Carm and Gandolfini manages to make it seem like Tony can barely get the lie out without looking worried she might not believe him.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Narzack posted:

It's kinda like that scene where the women are at some speaking event thing, and they get all offended that people think Italians are mobsters. Beautiful stuff .

I love how terrified that witness was and how fast they panicked when they read that he identified Tony Soprano and completely flipped on their being good people attempt.

Someone on these forums once said that was written in by Chase to mock all those viewer suburnites who idolized Tony and thought he was actually a good guy

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

He is sympathetic because you do get the idea that he really was never cut out for that life but ends up more or less forced into it due to circumstances. Even moreso once he's married to Janice. Sympathetic doesn't mean he's a good person of course, for the reasons you point out.

He always wanted to be a good man, a good husband, good father etc. but his dad was a legendary mob hitman and he was the heir so he went into the life like he was expected to.

Being mocked for not cheating on his wife gives you an idea of how much of a saint he was compared to literally everyone else.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I still love that the pilot has Tony as the boss of the family and then they just pretended like Jackie was the boss the whole time when the show started.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Yea poo poo like that is what happens when the writer/creator of the show has no clear vision and doesn't understand character development. The audience notices when you spend hours and hours building up characters as conflicted good guys, and then jump tracks as soon as it's convenient into having them mass execute people and causing ridiculous amounts of collateral damage to the community. Then when the show is coming to an end you want to have people buy into your sad sack Jesus fantasy, gently caress off Sutter.

At one point the Sons walk into a room, kill 3 people including a preacher, then go "whoopsie wrong room" and walk out like it's no big deal.

The later attempts for teary eyes remose when having to decide on the fate of another member fall completely flat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sure after they killed 3 people including a preacher accidentally, Jax sat on the roof and read his dad's journal and happened to find an entry that started,"Well this one time I accidentally killed 3 people including a preacher, and here's how I came through that okay...."

I still say season 2 of that show was excellent. But oooooh boy everything after that was loving madness and I gave up on the last 2-3 seasons entirely.

Season 1 and 2 were really good and worked well because the overall theme was something like Hamlet but meant to evoke a sort of Shakespearean feel. That falls off when then they go to Ireland for whatever reason and Jax finds out he has a half sister. Kurt Sutter wanted to have them gently caress in the show for drama and was apparently talked down from it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
"Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

This is loving incredible :xd:

Yeah, it's tempting to think she is mean and overly aggressive to Artie but she's absolutely 100% in the right every single time and it's clear that without her around, Artie is going to do impossibly stupid things that will come back to bite him on the rear end.

Him going after Adriana is near the top of the list. He's got like 15+ years on her, she's dating a mafia associate, etc.

If it was set in 2019 he'd be posting those dumb ideas on reddit asking for advice on how to make it work next time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

I don't know if the whole scene counts, but I think this is my favorite moment:

Just look at the ACTING Gandolfini does in like 3 seconds with just his eyes. It's phenomenal. (Also, I think about it every time I want to end a conversation with somebody. Just turn tail and run.)

From a massive legacy of great acting that is still one of his best moments. As the viewer before the camera turns you immediately know this is major endgame level stuff going down and you have no idea how far its reaching.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

Tony sure gets away with hitting a lot of made men.

Literally the only time it gets referenced is when Ralphie gets a beating. Even when Johnny Sac beats up that guy it doesnt even get a mention.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Artie crossed a line when he beat up that one guy who was scamming his restaurant but even then Tony had his back before the follow up petty b.s.

Artie even technically came out way ahead with that $50k loan he lost in exchange for clearing Tony's tab. Sure it was scummy as hell for Tony but any other situation Artie wouldve basically ruined his life. Plus we got to see the face of someone who suddenly realizes Furio is there to destroy them.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 24, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It was an independent Family with a Boss, something that even got mentioned as pissing off Carmine Sr. when he called them a glorified crew but still had to treat them like a separate Family.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Oh man, is that's the first time Tim Daily's character shows up. Chris turning the AA stuff around on J.T.'s gambling addiction was always funny.

J.T.: "What is this, Pulp Fiction?"
Paulie Jr.: "I dunno, I didn't see it."

When J.T starts talking to Chris about how he never enjoyed games of chance before, but now there's this unexplainable rush and excitement from playing, Chris pauses and looks at him silently, knowing exactly what is going on and where it will lead, but says nothing and distracts him by saying he smoked some pot just to see if he could be normal.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
"A pint of blood cost more then a gallon of gold"

The writing for Carmine Jr. was truly inspired.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Ginny Sack's so fat, two guys could gently caress her at the same time and STILL never meet.

Whats everybody laughing about?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
He wants to gently caress her?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kevyn posted:

Tony gave Furio that job specifically to “test” his savagery because he was acting all fruity at the party with the baby talk and the AMC.

After seeing him smack around a small child in Naples for setting off firecrackers? I figured it was because he knew how savage he was and that massage pimp was the perfect target to get the word out.

Chris had let things go far enough to where the fear and respect was slipping.

When he tried to make excuses it came off as more of the "sorry for being late T" mentality he had about everything else.

Saying he didnt know what Tony wanted him to do was just another problem where Tony has to say "Chris take a gun and shoot the guy to teach him a lesson" to get his implication across and thats dangerous talk for him to have to constantly be saying.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 14, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Its more that Chris has no problem escalating violence when he's acting out in a risky and childish manner. He could've broken the pimp's arm easily and that wouldve solved it.

Most of his unsolicited uses of violence in the show, mostly towards Adrianna, are about him losing his temper and taking something personally.

Ironic that Tony does the same and doesnt face any actual consequences(also doesnt beat his wife)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

One of my favorite lines is Jackie Jr. saying he wants to be in the business of men's suits- but not the "faggy" part, but rather just to "be Hugo Boss"- it's almost endearing in its stupidity.

The actor really nailed the role. In between the attempts to sound tough and his enormously slimy attitude towards Meadow in everything he did he came off as a weak spoiled brat with delusions of being a made guy. The way he walked and carried himself even screamed weakness, like someone desperately trying to look tougher then he is.

The dialogue was a major part, but that one scene where Jackie has his "sit-down" is just beautiful for the posture and body language alone.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mahoning posted:

Believe it or not, that is actually the actor who plays Jackie Jr’s little brother playing Jackie Jr in that episode/scene.

I actually did not believe you so I checked.

Still think it's possibly one of those "female street shark" online myths.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I've read some interesting articles on how The Godfather changed even the Mafia's perception of itself. They thought they were supposed to be these super-rich dudes inside giant compounds and draw a lot of attention to themselves and they never got that clashed with like everything else they did. Gotti was probably the apex, or maybe his nincompoop son.

According to a mob documentary on Amazon Prime before the Donnie Brasco undercover op brought the mob to light the NY police basically couldn't prove the mob even remotely existed much less tie people to crimes. In the 50s/60s omerta was a big deal, people kept their mouths shut, and informants couldn't get any useful info.

Fast forward 2 decades and suddenly mob bosses want to be public figures and be on TV, write books, etc.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The part right after he talks about going to a ranch he immediately mentions how close Las Vegas is and how Tony should come hang out sometime.

Its one of those few moments when Tony looks sorry for what Dave is going to put himself through.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
My favorite detail is that if Davy hadn't been there the vaunted Executive Game would've made maybe 35k in profit.

Doesnt sound like such a massive win when you look at it that way. Sure its a lot of money for 2 days but even 5-10k of that was Sil playing to keep the game going.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ozza posted:

Boy does that music make me laugh every time. Such a strong little scene that tells you everything you need to know about these characters in a few seconds.

It was either that music or NPR, which probably would've cost a lot more.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I love that scene because the crew doesn't even remotely know that Italy has local cultural/regional feuds.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

But nevermind that, because here's one of the most amazing scenes the show has ever done. It features Mr. Arthur, the resolute citizen from the start of the episode. I won't bother describing the scene because words simply don't do it justice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mckbLaZ9XI

Okay gently caress it, here are some words anyway because I love it so much. What a masterclass in constructing a scene. The acting, the writing, the music (oh God, the music), the wardrobe, the props. In just over a minute we have these people's entire lives mapped out for us: their neuroses, their "class", their passive-aggressive relationship, their smug self-satisfaction, their education, their hypocrisy. They are terrible people in an entirely different way to the likes of Tony and his ilk. Judgmental, smug and superior, convinced of their own moral strength of character but crumbling at the first sign of personal risk. The guitar set up in a prominent position is surely decorative, if it has ever been played it would be to strum a few notes of something painfully obscure. I don't know which of the three writers who made this episode is to credit for this scene, but I want to give them a big sloppy kiss on the mouth. :kiss:

This is one of the most frequent scenes I've seen mentioned. I've heard hearsay that after season 1 David Chase was getting so disgusted with people telling him how much they loved Tony Soprano and what a great guy he was and that was the basis for that scene; middle class people fascinated with cinematic violence who poo poo their pants at a hint of real life crime involving them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqE7ZxH7BJE

Holy poo poo Will Sasso did an amazing Tony Soprano.

Still surprised to this day Will Sasso never exploded into a comedy/movie career.

Kevin James is pretending to be a CIA agent in Columbia and Sasso is getting bit parts every job he gets.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Feech was on borrowed time because he did not give a gently caress about the younger guys and lost his poo poo on Paulie over a tree trimming collection business. The casual disregard to Tony aside, he kept running his mouth and talking like he was real bigshot mafia guy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Not so terrible if you get 5 or 6 meals out of it.

Unless Father Intintola comes over to slip your wife a cracker.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

No Wave posted:

I think it's more crass than that. He killed Chris because he was mad at him and he just didn't like him anymore. Tony's so far gone at that point.

It solved a ton of problems all at once though. Chris had more dirt on Tony then everyone else combined and was one bad arrest away from being able to not only tie up Tony with the Feds but then implicate Tony in killing Ralphie and Ritchie, which would've caused major inter-family problems beyond worrying about a "rat".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kevyn posted:

“I’ll speak if I want to, goddamnit! Who are you, minister of propaganda?”

Hugh is the best.

That and his birthday party. A gaggle of snobbish uppity Italians who can't stop themselves from trying to be above it all and constantly disrespecting their host.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

No Wave posted:

Would it have been bad for tony to kill the guy who violently raped Melfi though?

I would have thought Melfi showed restraint l because she knew having Tony do this would make her in debt to and tangled up with him for the rest of her life.

Yes.

Vigilante justice is bad. Not even taking into account that Tony has killed people for trivial reasons, being able to have the moral strength to turn down that chance for vengeance is a fundamental difference between Melfi and Tony.

Some people have a code and will stick to it, some people just act like they are above it but would compromise themselves in an instant.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

No Wave posted:

I didnt like the melfi rape. It's this incredibly horrible thing done to one of the main characters in the most savage way possible for this tiny piece of characterization that has vety little importance to the series. Wont be a popular opinion.

You would be hard pressed to find a more definitive moment in the Melfi/Tony relationship dynamic then her saying "No" after everything we saw in the episode.

Since S1 she danced around whether or not she was seeing him for the right reasons, was fascinated by him etc. and finally after all that, her drinking, her therapy, she finally makes clear her ethical stance.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m still very behind in this thread because I’m reading Jerusalem’s recaps along with my rewatch (loving these by the way man, great work!!) as well as The Sopranos Sessions, but I had to pop in to say I just got to 205 and “What are you doing? You’re dropping your fuckin oranges” is one of the funniest lines this show ever did

That's not even the funniest line about oranges.

"I like the one that says some pulp"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

No Wave posted:

She would be fielding marriage proposals by half her customers at the bing.

Also lol:

There is no end to young attractive girls who get abused and exploited by similar age or older men. Appearance means nothing, human beings still fall prey to the manipulations of others and end up in abusive and dangerous situations regardless of age, ethnicity, background, gender, etc you name ot.

Is marrying/dating a guy who falls in love with a stripper somehow suppose to be better then a lovely mob psycho? You are acting like a physical appearence is some societal benchmark for a certain quality of life.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hell, the scene where the cops are interrogating the pizza guys could have straight up been out of a Police Squad episode.

"Technically sir, you're an accessory after the fact"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Nah, he's remembered. Mostly by Phil when somebody bringing him up puts an end to a sit down between Phil and Tony.

"your brother, whatever happened there..."