Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Wiltsghost posted:

I forgot about The Stugots playing Dean Martin by Whitecaps lol.

Hell I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

codo27 posted:

Johnny Sac freaking out over seating placement Allegra's wedding. Who else went through that same thing? Mostly on my wife's crazy family side

Love the little touches like the entire family smoking

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

She made all of us suffer instead! :rimshot:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I get it, he drives a Lincoln, so what?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

In Camelot was playing in the background earlier and it got me thinking about Fran's relationship with animals. The first thing we find out about her is she worked in the fur department; in the JFK story the fur she wears is a pivotal detail (if the story is to be believed); in pretty much every scene she's preparing some kind of meat to feed Tony and then Johnny in flashback; she has the dog put down seemingly out of inconvenience based on the reasoning she gives. Tony loves animals and Fran's treatment of them doesn't raise an eyebrow as the cruelty is never directly done by her, but she is the passive beneficiary of it in the procurement of fur, meat, etc. and she actually doesn't seem to care about any of the harm that goes into that, as evidenced by her smoking when Johnny had emphysema. As the episode goes on we see more confirmation that she's actually not a very nice person, but some of the red flags are there early on.

A great "show don't tell" is AJ's cowed demeanor when being dropped off at the very beginning of this scene. With us not seeing the actual argument between him and Tony that would have taken place on the car ride over it's like, woah, you know that was a bad one.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Besides opening and closing credits songs, how many examples of non-diegetic music are in the series? At first I thought there weren't any but I realized there's actually quite a few. Tiny Tears, Through and Through, Dolphins, most of the episode Commendatori features some kind of music in the transitional scenes. The jingle bells in 'To Save Us All From Satan's Power' is probably the most noticeable and out of place sounding, though.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

ulvir posted:

oh, and the episode where FBI tries to wiretap their house, there’s a mix of Sting and Detective Music in a way that’s clearly non-diegetic

Yes, that's what I'm looking for. The other instances of opening or closing songs I don't count

(The detective music in question is the Peter Gunn theme; musically I thought it was a brilliant mash-up but the episode in retrospect is a big nothing, absolute bottom tier)

Kevyn posted:

I’d say that weird William S. Burroughs spoken word thing in “Members Only” is the most noticeable and out of place.

Of all the music choices this one perplexes me the most. Not a fan

Dokapon Findom fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 21, 2023

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I just remembered "Three Bells" is in two episodes in season 6. Two episodes too many if you ask me!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

BiggerBoat posted:

It was never revealed but what's everyone's best guess who put the Obijua Saying on the hospital bulletin board? To me, it reeks of Janice and her self righteous horseshit but I have other suspects.

Ojibwe :colbert: (pronounced o-jib-way, not o-jib-wee like Christopher says it)

It's so out of left field for anyone in the main cast that I think it'd have to be a nurse or an orderly who put it up

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Why'd you try and top me? You took all the air out of my punchline, loving rear end in a top hat! :mad:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

He’s angry that he’s only good at tv and considers it low art

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

If it looked anything like TMSoN they were right not to be!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Pirate Radar posted:

It could have been as simple as “no, we already have a movie about a mafia boss seeing a psychiatrist in production”

Cmon, it's a fuckin comedy!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Tbf it is/was pretty overdone and the stuff that came out trying to ride the crest of the Sopranos' popularity only served to highlight that there really wasn't any more meat on that bone

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I like the Grovestand one that he's complaining about. Give me lots of pulp!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Got the venison steaks :cool:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I heard Ginny was getting an office job... Chubb Insurance :haw:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Matt Zerella posted:

Dr Faygo is right up there with Noah for worst normal people on the show.

Surprised nobody has said Jesus Rossi, everyone who posted before me must love the character and what he does

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

La Louve Rouge posted:

The worst person on the show is Phil because he's a dowdy old bitch who harshes Tony's buzz and by extension me as the viewer

The eyebrows, loving can't stand him.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I like Tony because Tony’s the boss

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Janice is one of my favorites just for how well Aida Turturro plays such an unlikeable character. Mad acting skills

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Worst acting on the show- Tracee, Gabriella Dante, Danielle Agent Ciccerone, Vito is probably up there honestly

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

His death was likely inevitable from the injuries, making Tony's act that much more unnecessary and petty

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

escape artist posted:

Ah, no wonder I couldn't remember it. I hate that episode.

It’s probably the worst episode in the series

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

As much as is wrong with A Hit is a Hit I can’t poo poo on it. Meowww!!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Richie's 'Manson lamps' after his son says "Glad for you, dad"

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

codo27 posted:

I've never really been a fan but is the Porsche really tacky? And was the vette actually a Z06?
They're small potatoes compared to the Nissan Xterra, with Nissan's 19-point Safety Philosophy :cool:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Dawgstar posted:

I'm pretty sure Sopranos is responsible for me pointing with my pinkie extended because I didn't use to do it before.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Schvooyadell

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Carmela immediately forgets about Liz and her suicide attempt (and finding Adriana) when the inspection of her spec house passes.
Her throwing out the investigator's card is a :discourse: moment

Rick. It's Rick. Or Richard. How many times do I gotta fuckin' tell you? It was Little Richie when he was twelve years old.
Love that Ro called him Little Ricky without incident

Ainsley McTree posted:

My theory, which I am mostly not prepared to defend, is that he's a good chef who lost his way well before the show started, but gets it back by the end with the whole rabbit/reprioritizing thing. Poor guy was just having a six-season long midlife crisis is all
He does get back together with Charmaine (though she doesn't mention it)

Pirate Radar posted:

The roaches take the Lincoln Tunnel and drive down the turnpike just like Tony does in the opening titles
For those unaware, the drive sequence in the opening credits is not contiguous; it will take you all over New Jersey :spergin:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

PostNouveau posted:

lol @ Melfi's theory of the panic attacks being meat-related. He spends half his time in a loving deli!

I'm starting to think this lady is not a very good therapist.

:goofy: Uncle Ben...

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

It’s sad when they go so young like that.

When they GO?! :mad:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

You got a ban on you account

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Wow, listen to mister mod boss!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

The things I saw... Jeffrey of YOSPOS is a bus driver. Or he is the bus. Anyways he bans us and goes on his way... meanwhile we keep trying to get back on the bus

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

We buried Lowtax on a hill...overlooking a river...with little goldbelly pies all around

Oh. Please, give him my regards. Is he still on that crazy diet?? :newlol:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

PostNouveau posted:

I like the Kevin Finnerty stuff more with each rewatch. It's just fun watching James Gandolfini play someone so different (Edie Falco also sounds totally different in her phone conversations). Good stuff with all the hospital parts and confirming Carmela's frequent fears that she'll be immediately left out in the cold if something happens to Tony too.

I think it was confirmed at some point that the voice is not Edie Falco, I think as a speaking only voice it didn't have to be credited? I also love the coma dream; Costa Mesa seems like a very nice, peaceful place.

Gaius Marius posted:

Any time someone's dreaming in Sopranos is a good time

They really do a great job of capturing the way things both do and don't make sense while you're dreaming

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Jerusalem posted:

One of my absolutely favorite parts of The Test Dream is that when he calls Carmela on the phone after waking up, he just mentions that he had one of his "Coach Molinaro dreams" and she immediately, gently asks,"Were you unprepared as usual?" and it just serves as a perfect reminder of what he had with her that he threw away because he just refused to exhibit even the barest modicum of self control and not sleep around on her.

I like this too, it's a nice world building detail that Tony actually does or has confided his dreams with Carmela (to what degree that is his expression of openness or vulnerability is left to us; I suppose it helps that she also knew the coach), and she demonstrates familiarity while Melfi expressly notes he's never brought it up to her.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

ruddiger posted:

I wish they would’ve showed Chris’ vision of hell.

I feel like we catch a glimpse whenever someone loses big at the executive game (David Scatino, JT) in just how quickly their lives become a "hell" afterward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

wilderthanmild posted:

Also I really love all the dreams about death and afterlife. So ominous and yet strangely serene. The scene in front of the house talking to Tony B makes my skin crawl every time.

:same: this is far and away the most unnerving scene not in Employee Of The Month