Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Angie also took over the autobody shop and started loan sharking and buying/selling stolen parts for the mob by the end. It got under Carmela's skin that she couldn't rub her nose into her Porsche because Angie worked and bought a Corvette for herself.

What a great show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Narzack posted:

One of the great things about the show, at least for me, was that at the start, Carmella was kind of sympathetic character. But, bloody hell, by the end, you realize she's as despicable as any of them.

And the opposite happened for Meadow where she was a completely spoiled entitled arrogant teenager and turned into a successful intelligent independent woman. Hell, she may be the one to support the rest of the terrible family once Tony winds up dead or in jail since the other two are almost completely useless at taking care of themselves.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Everyone knew what "went into witness protection" meant. It's seriously only Jackie Jr and Adriana that didn't. Maybe the younger kids wouldn't get it, but besides those few examples everyone gets that they were killed, they just didn't want to know by who/why.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think one of the better brief storylines was when Gene was trying to get out of the life to save his son/family and retire and both the government and the family refused to let him go. Killing himself really was the best solution to the problem to get his son help and his family far away from all the problems.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tony really is completely reprehensible through the entire run.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

When he almost pointed out the fingernail she found was some other woman he was cheating on her with instead of the Russian is a great acting moment. He held back and you can see this look of "yeah, I got her on this one" wash over his face even though he's still caught.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Janice is such an amazingly well written character. There's just absolutely nothing redeeming in her at all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Even when he does something that seems nice like not wanting Vito dead there's still a motive there. He likes that Vito brings him in a lot of money, and he hates doing what anyone else tells him to do.

His most reprehensible act is I think killing Chris. He brings Chris into that life, draws him ever deeper, convinces him to never flip and do anything to hurt him or the Mob, and then ultimately kills Chris himself.

And he did it because Carmela put it into his head that Chris was going to betray him. Sure, he internalized it as saving Chris' daughter, but then had that dream where he laid out exactly why he did it to Melfi. Man, I should finish the rewatch I started awhile ago. Season 5 and 6 is always when I stall out, but there is a lot of good stuff in there.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The_dude_abides posted:

"Fat gently caress? You should try looking in the mirror some time you insensitive cocksucker!" The way he went from a constant target of Tony's abuse to his inner circle, even underboss, was an interesting character transition. Given the kind of guy he is, would he even have been in the mafia without his old man's influence? There were scenes where he showed his dark side (Like threatening the union rep in the bar), but he had a big heart.

Bobby was pretty good. Adriana was another one. Pretty much everyone else was some form of rear end in a top hat. Finn was pretty much OK. Good he got out of there when he saw his fiance was leaning more and more towards mob life.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Not to mention the upcoming arrest and prosecution of Tony that they set up in that episode as well. So no matter what happened in that diner he was going away. He always said there was only two ways it ended for guys like him, and I liked that they left it open to either.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The whole episode is great. That's the one where she decides that $50k is what she wants instead of finding her own happiness/redemption away from blood money right?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Do it. I'm thinking about finishing my rewatch and I want an excuse to talk about how I think Tony really did kill Ralph because of the horse and not because of the dead girl (Tracy?).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"loving queers!"
*throws chair at ghosts

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pretty much this whole scene is great. Paulie being himself, Tony getting more and more flustered, followed immediately by Tony making one of the few actually funny jokes he makes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2LpILuko7w

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Beating up the dude that messed with Meadow is what started the end game war.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I had never heard of those before and still think the show invented them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Artie is basically Tony's only real friend in the world and I think he holds onto that for the same selfish reasons he holds on to Carmela. He lets Artie get away with tons of poo poo even in public. Even against other made guys.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kevyn posted:

I’m early in season 3 on my rewatch and that weird rewinding thing when Tony faints after talking to Noah is a pretty dumb editing choice too.

Just wait for the slow mo sweep fade moment when Carmela tells the teacher she's going back to Tony.

edit:
La Parma rules. That, Volare, and Club Lucky are my favorite Italian places to take visiting friends.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 25, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha, I read that and for some reason it didn't click that we were talking about the same thing. I thought Cold Cuts was really early in the show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

La Scarola was the place I was thinking of in Chicago. I'm just not reading well at all in this thread today.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Midgetskydiver posted:

Tony really did fit the profile for sociopaths only having occasional empathy for babies and animals. I think it really was the branch through the car seat that sealed Chris's fate.

That's also why I think it really was the horse that he killed Ralph over. Everything he was saying could have applied to Tracey, but he didn't care about her the same way he cared about the horse.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Phil actually locked everything down and kept it professional up until Vito "disgraced" his cousin. And then pretty much had it wrapped up again until Little Carmine runs his mouth at a sit down and brings up Tony B all over again. At least, I'm pretty sure that's when he tells Butchy "no more Butchy...no more."

edit:

Man, forgot how good the ending to that episode was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLrlIpoQfQg

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 27, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sambuca is terrible. And I can drink copious amounts of Malort.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That was in the last season when Tony starts to tear down their friendship because he doesn't want to pay Hesh back. I can't remember, but I think the only reason he does eventually pay him back is because Hesh's wife dies and Tony just gives him the money and says "sorry" and walks out unphased. I always liked Hesh's character. He's just as big of an rear end in a top hat as the rest of the crew, but he's smarter and keeps his head lower so has way more success.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasn't Livia based on David Chase's mother?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They don't harp on it, but they do mention a few times that John doesn't cheat on Ginny. They don't make fun of him for it like they do Bobby, but talk about how they feel like he looks down on them for cheating.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ooooh! John!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If they had written one page of Moby Dick on the back of cereal boxes and every month ship out a different one then I may have actually been able to get through that loving tome. To this day it's the only book besides Mary Gentle's Grunts that I can't force myself to finish.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't know about that. I bet if that guy and his family didn't pull up right then he would have followed through with running away with her. I don't think they would have made it as a couple that didn't have mob backing/income, but I think he would have went through with it if he had stayed home or that didn't happen. The fact that he never really shows the same interest in any women through the rest of the show, even his wife, kinda makes me think that was it for him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But he would have been able to focus on his writing finally.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The fact that no one is safe from him with the exception of his immediate family is one of the most frightening things about his character. I can't think of any of his "family" that he didn't consider killing at some point. Maaaaaybe SIlvio, but I think there was a moment in the Tony B saga where he threatened him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Besides Artie, I think Sil is the closest thing to a friend Tony has.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So can someone please answer just how much baked ziti it will cost me to get into heaven?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Borrowed Ladder posted:

How much money does Tony have, roughly? He gives the lawyer 400k for Carmella, which doesn't seem like that much based on their life. He gives Beansie 50k. A few episodes after this he won't give meadow's school 50k, but he has 5k In his pocket!I

There's also the later storyline about money in the AC unit, i think that's 200k. I assume he must have maybe a million, maybe 1.5 or so?

In a later season Hesh says he doubts if Tony has 1m to his name because of how he spends and gambles.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasn't that his way of dealing with Chris?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They ended it with a clip show. Seinfeld was good though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Does Livia show up in the next episode? If she doesn't, and had they avoided that CGI... attempt in the first episode of season three, that would have been the perfect last shot of her.

I think she does. Tony gives her plane tickets to get her away from him and it backfires.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did any of the guys that did a long stretch ever re-acclimate successfully?

edit:
I guess Phil did alright.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Season two was always my favorite. Just everything about it flowed together and really solidified the characters and their motivations. Everyone kind of sticks to their lanes from here on in with the exception of Chris, but that ends about how you'd expect that late in the series.

And even with everyone moving forward, but remaining the same, it feels like all the characters keep growing. It really is an amazing show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is that based on the fact that they were both in the military during WW2? Hell, Junior may be his real dad then.