Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Best Sopranos moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7bN1wtmBL4

Basebf555 posted:

My favorite Sopranos memory is of the crew going to Italy and Paulie being so confused about why the food is so different haha

It was great because it revealed them for what they were: A glorified crew and Italian rednecks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Nah it's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVIwepliNeo

I think I need another rewatch of this soon.

You are 100% correct on this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Thought you were talking about Christopher for a second!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdP7f4_YL8I

Goddamn this show is hilarious.

'They can't do that..even wit' computahs'

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

I'm pretty sure noone is actually dumb enough to believe the witness protection stories except like.. Adriana and Jackie jr.

It's been a while since I've watched it but I always remembered that when someone would mention witness protection, the way they said and their body language indicated they knew what really happened.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

This thread got me to re-watch the series. It's good to be reminded how good Gandolfini is in it. I mean, most of the casting is really good and they really bring the characters to life, but man, he's on a different level.

You can just look at him and you know exactly what he's thinking in his head. He can go from sweet dad to a total insane psychopath in a heartbeat.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I just started season 2. Man, is there better foil than Janice?

Last season Tony barely survived being assassinated by his uncle but he takes that all in stride for the most part. The mere presence of Janice makes him lose his goddamned mind.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1102398278803619840

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

crispix posted:

Christopher was such a loving bimbo.

What do you all think of the episode with Jon Favreau, Janeane Garofalo, and Sandra Bernhard all playing themselves? Was it a little too much or did it feel earned?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

little moments that show how much people care, genuinely

and how much they genuinely don't care

Do you have a GIF of Ginny on the floor surrounded by junk food? That sequence is one of the funniest things in the show.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wasn't Livia based on David Chase's everyone's mother?

ftfy

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Gilbert Gottfried has interviewed a few people from the Sopranos.

Joe Pantoliano was a great interview. He goes into detail about how his own hosed up childhood and family life informed the Ralphie character.

He also interviewed Dominic Chianese. A really good story teller and he does offer up some anecdotes about Gandolfini and others.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

You definitely should. It's absolutely one of the most important and influential TV shows in the history of the medium. It was a turning point. I'm not being hyperbolic when I say it's the show that changed everything.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hey T you gotta take this survey. It told me which Godfather character I am. It said I'm Tessio. Ain't that some fuckin bullshit. *Points at Tony with finger and pinky* You know I'd never sell you out like that, right T?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And we’re about to go back for the VIP after party where Dominic Chianese will be singing

Bring some tissues.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Finally completed watching the show for the first time and honestly as good as the show and the finale are the bit that's gonna stick with me the most is the guy in the coat going HOLY poo poo after Phil gets splattered.

I wish I could watch The Sopranos for the first time again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Even with computers?

I try to use this at work as often as possible.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

“She was abusive to the staff!”

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Shameless is that show where I'm always thinking, "Where is William H Macy? I just want him on the screen." Most of the subplots are average and some outright dumb. The show should have been canceled years ago.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was it this thread that gave us “You’re either a “She was abusive to the staaaaaff!” person or a “Motherfuckin’ goddamn orange peel beef!” person”?

I am not sure why but I feel that ‘she was abusive to the staff’ is one of the top 5 lines in tv history.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

Just finished watching this a few days ago after starting in January. What an amazing show. I kept myself away from the thread since I didn't know if there would be spoilers (and I was very paranoid about having it ruined for me) and I'm glad that I kept my guard up so high. One or two spoiler-free posts I saw online claimed something like: "Don't worry about running out of Sopranos, the best part is getting to re-watch it." Even already, re-visiting scenes, you realize how fathoms-deep with richness and texture every single character and interaction is. What a remarkable show! I kind of can't believe that the show works so well both as on the first-pass through and on the N-th pass basis; that simultaneously it's super detailed, but not so hard to follow that you can't enjoy it taking each turn as you go, and that there are always new details to catch and observations to treasure upon revisit. Even just watching supercuts, compilations, and scenes on youtube over the last few days has been mindblowing.

The Sopranos really is the one. It's the TV show that's the culmination of everything that TV had been working towards for decades. It all came together. After Sopranos there have been shows that are better written, or filmed, or acted, but Sopranos is far greater than the sum of its parts. I'd rather put on a random episode (or season) of Sopranos than say, something like Oz or Breaking Bad. I think there's a few reasons for it. I think the show's dark humor helps make it watchable. Even when the show gets into some serious or hosed up poo poo, there's still always something darkly funny about it. The other factor is James Gandolfini. It's just such an amazing, perfect performance through and through. We relate to him, we laugh with him, laugh at him, we fear him. I don't know if they'll ever be another show like the Sopranos and it will probably be a few more decades before we get that next evolutionary leap in TV.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I played the Sopranos pinball table over the weekend. It's an OK table, but it does have an animatronic fish so that definitely makes it worth checking out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Are we supposed to know who Ray Liotta is portraying or is it still a surprise?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I haven’t really been following the hype or press for the movie but I thought it wasn’t supposed to center around young tony is it? He’s meant to be more of a side character?

The trailer definitely puts Tony front and center but with the story bits I was figuring out from the trailer, it really does seem this is supposed to be about Dickie. I think that’s how this movie was originally conceived.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Look at it this way, even if the movie is trash. Still gives you an excuse to rewatch the Sopranos

I'm doing this right now. Just started yesterday. drat, Nancy Marchand is so good and perfect as Tony's mom. Farmiga's got some big fuckin shoes to fill.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That article makes it sound like Many Saints of Newark is getting some kind of theatrical release. Is that the case? I had no idea.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

I was thinking about watching the Rockford Files. Is there any good viewing strategy or should I just start with episode 1? It looks like Chase doesn't come into the show until season 3.

I don't know. I've never seen it. It's episodic TV so I guess start wherever you want. The show was always nominated for Emmy's and stuff so it's probably solid the whole way through.

Another David Chase show to check out is Kolchak the Night Stalker. David Chase worked on pretty much the whole show and it was a huge influence on the X-Files. It's one season and some TV movies.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

I've been watching Kolchak recently and its excellent. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw David Chase appear in the credits.

Yeah it's really good. I'd love to see a cleaned up blu-ray release.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I know it was always suspected or known, but this trailer definitely confirmed that the timeline has been shuffled a little. Tony and Chris were 10 years apart in age in the tv show and now it's like 16-18 years.

It's not a big deal and it's why I haven't really bothered theory crafting anything for the movie.

Did Chase or any other writers already straight up confirm that?

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 9, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Is the jacket in the movie?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m so excited for you all to watch the movie tomorrow!! Aaahhhhhh!!!!!!

Any idea when it goes live? If it's midnight I might stay up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Just got back from watching the movie.

It was fine. I'd give a B. I think the movie's biggest problem is that it wanted to have its cake and eat it too. It should have been way more focused on Dickie and Howard's stories. Instead they wanted that AND they wanted a baby Sopranos story. The movie starts out strong with Dickie and Howard's stories running parallel and intertwining at points but Howard's story kinda ends with a wet fart at the end, without the same resolution of Dickie's.

Young Tony and all his friends being the movie definitely made it feel overstuffed. With all of them in the movie, I really have to wonder if they're trying to 'backdoor pilot' something more with these actors.

That said, everyone was really good in it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I need to watch it again, but a few questions maybe you all might have answers for:

-Did any actors aside from Michael Imperioli reprise their roles?

-Towards the end when Tony gets in that tussle at the phone booth, who was he fighting with?

-At the end who pulled the trigger? Harold or someone else, possibly the cop who according to Tony, did whack Dickie.. The screen was kinda dark at the theater I was at so I couldn't quite make it out, if we were supposed to.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I don't read the prison scenes with Sally as all in Dickie's head because Dickie doesn't know they had Jews in the Middle Ages but Sally gives him a basic outline on Buddhism. Hard to think that Dickie doesn't even know super basic poo poo about his own religion but would have an understanding of a religion he'd likely never have come into contact with

Wait what? There's people who think this? There's literally nothing in the movie to even remotely indicate it's in his head.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

But ultimately he was loyle to his capo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Well poo poo.

RIP Peter Bogdanovich. One of the GOAT directors but more importantly, Melfi's shrink.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I was definitely expecting a deep fake Tony Soprano and I'm glad they showed some restraint. I probably would have chucked my tv out the window if that did happen.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hopefully he's rolling with those fuckin queer ghosts now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdP7f4_YL8I

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

khwarezm posted:

So something I was wondering about the other day, in final episode it looks as though the FBI is getting very close to building a very solid case against Tony. But what happens if he's killed, in terms of the case? Would Carmela and the rest of the family have any reason to lose their assets like Johnny Sack's family does, or would the FBI forget about doing anything with the now dead Tony's assets, even if they could connect him and his money sources to illegal activities?

edit: gently caress I'm an idiot.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

escape artist posted:

Carlo, a capo, was going to testify against him, on everything up to and including capital murder. The gun charge is a joke.

Oh gently caress that's right. I totallllllly forgot about that. Nevermind.